Jane Austen Book Club discussion

What do you think is Austen's best work?

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika (new)

Erika (elikabee) | 7 comments Mod
give us your thoughts!

message 2: by Destiny (new)

Destiny (tatygirl90) | 1 comments I've only read one work by Austen, so of course I'm going to say Pride and Prejudice. But I do have her other books, but I'm trying to get new copies of them because my editions make her lively prose seem dull. I love some of her juvenile stuff. I laughed a lot at The History of England!

message 3: by Ana (new)

Ana | 14 comments I love Jane Austen and i think her work is just brilliant. I was young when i decided to pick up Pride and Prejudice, but a couple years later, now in high school, i love it! My favorites are Pride and prejudice and Emma, i have yet to read Northanger Abby and Sense and Sensibility.

message 4: by Erika (new)

I think Pride and Prejudice is a really great book and it is Austen's most popular one but in my opinion, Persuasion is just glorious. If i were to be imprisoned for a hundred years with just one book to have with me, i'll definitely take this one. Have you read it?

message 5: by Ana (new)

Ana | 14 comments I have read Persuasion and every time i read it, the letter at the end always gets to me. I think it was definitely Jane Austen's most romantic. Even thought it is quite short compared to her others, i thought it was amazing as well.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Kim (goodreadscomjenniferrkim) | 4 comments As much as I love Pride and Prejudice, I'd have to say my favorite is Persuasion. What haunts me is the torment Anne goes thinking all is dead for her, yet it is not. There's always hope and maybe true love never dies. At least i'd like to think so.

message 7: by Erika (new)

well my least favorite is mansfield park.. i didn't like the ending.. it was as if the ending was rushed and it wasn't a very happy one..
and yes, persuasion is indeed a very romantic book and the letter always gets to me too.. :)
i love re-reading it.

message 8: by Ana (new)

Ana | 14 comments Its so funny because whenever I meet someone who likes Jane Austen, I don't even bother ask what's their favorite. I ask, what is your second favorite, cause it seems to me that everyone loves Pride and Prejudice. I do love Persuasion a lot and I love Emma too.

message 9: by Ana (new)

Ana | 14 comments I agree too, Mansfield Park didn't have the same happy ending and Fanny wasn't exactly my favorite heroin. Also I loved Persuasion for that exact reason, because the two knew that they couldn't love any other person and true love exists. :)

message 10: by Erika (new)

i love emma too. i think its her funniest book. LOL. has anyone of you read lady susan? its a good epistolary novel.

message 11: by Ana (new)

Ana | 14 comments No i haven't, but I'll look into it. :) i do love Emma, it is really funny and i love how Mr. Knightly is the only down to earth person in that book.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Kim (goodreadscomjenniferrkim) | 4 comments As much as I love Austen (and I LOVE 2/3 of her books), there is one thing about them that bug me (not in Pride and Prejudice though...). The convenient removal of obstacles such as:

Sense and Sensibility - Ms. Lucy Steele and Mr. Robert Ferrars conveniently marrying.

Persuasion - Capt. Benwick and Luisa Musgrove conveniently falling in love.

Emma - Emma and Mr. Knightley (sometimes it feels like Emma falls for him because Harriet likes him) seem forced.

Mansfield Park - Fanny and Henry. I don't understand the attraction. I think Fanny would be too boring for Henry....

I don't think I ever finished Northanger Abby. Maybe I'll try to read it again.

message 13: by Erika (new)

i feel the same way about mansfield park. and the ending was like henry was just forced to marry her because he was too heart-broken or there was nobody else around.
Northanger abbey is a good book. not great but also not bad.

message 14: by Ana (new)

Ana | 14 comments Yeah, I feel like Jane Austen did that in every book because she wanted to have the reader feel for the Heroine at that moment, maybe hopping that they realize what will eventually happen at the end. Not sure, but I did see how it was repetitive in her books. Mansfield Park was my least favorite too, and your right, I think it's just because Henry felt bad for her.

message 15: by Emilly (new)

Emilly | 3 comments As much as I love all her books, I have to say Northanger Abbey is absolutely the funniest book I've ever read. It's really sarcastic, and absolutely hilarious! I also really like Mansfield Park and Emma, and I do love Pride and Prejudice but it just isn't one of my favorites. And the convenient removal of obstacles is what makes Jane Austen be Jane Austen-everything will always work out for the better. It's a theme of all her books because it's what the books represent. The idea that true love may not always be so impossible. I think it's nice, and it's something to look forward to every time you read one of her books.

message 16: by Ana (new)

Ana | 14 comments Emilly wrote: "As much as I love all her books, I have to say Northanger Abbey is absolutely the funniest book I've ever read. It's really sarcastic, and absolutely hilarious! I also really like Mansfield Park an..."

hahahaha, the last book I need to read is Northanger abbey. And i've been dying to read it! I love P&P, but I'd have to say Emma is my favorite. A lot of ppl say no, but I love the energetic, dramatic, on-going plot. haha. :D

message 17: by Emilly (new)

Emilly | 3 comments Ana wrote: "Emilly wrote: "As much as I love all her books, I have to say Northanger Abbey is absolutely the funniest book I've ever read. It's really sarcastic, and absolutely hilarious! I also really like Ma..."

I agree with you that Emma is a great book. In her writing career, I feel like it's when Jane moved from traditional to breaking the rules a little more. And Emma really does break all the rules: she's the only character who doesn't NEED to marry for money, she's the only character who has no interest in men, and she's the only character who you don't necessarily fall in love with from the start.

message 18: by Ana (new)

Ana | 14 comments Emilly wrote: "Ana wrote: "Emilly wrote: "As much as I love all her books, I have to say Northanger Abbey is absolutely the funniest book I've ever read. It's really sarcastic, and absolutely hilarious! I also re..."

Exactly!! haha. yeah at first I was really angry with Emma, thinking how could Jane Austen create this heroine that is the exact opposite of what she's been writing for so long!? but as I got in to the story, I fell in love with all the characters and how different they are from the other classes in society and how it can change so many things. i think Jane Austen knew that everyone loved the unsung heroine in her stories and it was about time to expose different point of views. :)

message 19: by Soph (new)

Soph Hello :)
Well I love P&P and Emma best - amazing! But also enjoyed Persuasion a lot!!! And just finished NA too - loved also! And S&S was good to!! Yet to read MP - that's next on the list :)

message 20: by Jing (new)

Jing | 1 comments I'm torn between Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion, so I'll just say that both of those books are the best works of Austen. That is my opinion, of course. I've yet to finish Emma and to read Northanger Abbey and Mansfield Park, although I've watched a couple of its adaptations in BBC. Really great! :)

message 21: by Tamara (new)

Tamara | 3 comments This is tough because I have read all of them and loved them all differently. Obviously Pride and Prejudice is her most famous novel and the first one I ever read so that always holds a place in my heart, besides who can resist Mr. Darcy?

I have to say though that I think Persuasion is maybe one of my other favourite Austen. It's heartbreaking and romantic and kind of funny.

The novellas are great as well. Lady Susan is a particular favourite. I love how the entire story is told through letters. I wish people wrote more letters nowadays.

message 22: by Ayanda (new)

Ayanda | 1 comments Admittedly they are all good books. Jane Austen was a visionary, writting books with strong heroines. However, her first work was reflective of her own views about the role of women in that outdated patriarchial society. The man that Elizabeth loved was only worthy of her affections because he was not intimidated by her strength but was actually attracted by it. This book taught the world that women and men could be equals even in that time.

message 23: by Corine (last edited Jul 08, 2012 10:55AM) (new)

Corine (Corine67) So far I think Pride and Prejudice was here best.

message 24: by Ana (new)

Ana | 14 comments Ayanda wrote: "Admittedly they are all good books. Jane Austen was a visionary, writting books with strong heroines. However, her first work was reflective of her own views about the role of women in that outdate..."
Haha, yeah, that's why everyone asks "What's your second favorite Jane Austen book?" Pride and Prejudice must be everyone's favorite! :D

message 25: by Khadijah (new)

Khadijah (khadijahelshakankiry) | 1 comments persuasion .. i adore it ...

message 26: by Tessara (new)

Tessara Dudley (tessaradudley) | 1 comments Persuasion is my favourite of her works. It's sad and sweet and I love it.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

My order in preference of my favorite Jane Austen novels are!

1. Persuasion
2. Sense & Sensibility
3. Emma
4. is a tie between Pride & Prejudice and Mansfield Park
5. Northanger Abbey

message 28: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1 comments My particular favorite is Pride & Prejudice, without a doubt! I love the humor as well as the story in general (although that's obviously a general theme when it comes to Jane Austen). My second favorite is possibly Northanger Abbey, and my third is Sense and Sensibility. Next comes Persuasion, then Emma (which I have yet to finish, honestly, but it was alot better than Mansfield Park, in my opinion). And obviously Mansfield Park is my least favorite. The movie is quite good though, but that's beside the point.

message 29: by Andie (new)

Andie (thebookheap) | 1 comments Emilly wrote: "As much as I love all her books, I have to say Northanger Abbey is absolutely the funniest book I've ever read. It's really sarcastic, and absolutely hilarious! I also really like Mansfield Park an..."

Same here, Northanger Abbey is my favourite Austen. I spent every page laughing because it's so full of sarcasm!

unread topics | mark unread