Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > **August Challenge - Romance**

Comments (showing 1-50 of 221) (221 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Brenda | 44159 comments Mod
August is our ROMANCE month! That's right, for everyone who loves a romance, and even those who don't, there's lots to interest you all. Romantic thrillers, love and romance, romantic suspense, historical romance, classical romance, vampire romance, paranormal romance, YA first love, poetry of love...

Photobucket

Who hasn't been swept away with a wonderful romantic novel/book, curled up in front of the fire or sitting in a favourite chair warmed by the sun, it's those times when reading can be most pleasurable.

But not everyone wants to read Nicholas Sparks (The Notebook), Margaret Mitchell (Gone with the Wind), Stephanie Meyer (Twilight series) or even William Shakespeare (Romeo & Juliet).

SO...for those who can't bear the thought of reading a romance novel, and you have a passion/a romance for a topic, could be cooking, craft, dance, mechanics, art, travel, architecture etc, perhaps select a favourite book you've been meaning to get your teeth into.. OR choose your favourite author of all time, doesn't have to be Aussie...and read her/him, just for the love of it!!

Some links to choose from:
http://www.goodreads.com/search?query=Ro...

http://www.theromancereader.com/top100.h...

http://www.goodreads.com/search?q=parano...

http://www.goodreads.com/search?q=vampir...

Photobucket

Also August is the month that the From Here to Eternity - Romance Writers Conference 2011 will be in Melbourne - Aug 11th to 14th Website: http://www.romanceaustralia.com/conference_melbourne.html
So if you wish to support one of our local talent here's a list of Aussie Romance writers - http://www.romanceaustralia.com/authors.html

We've seen some amazing novels transformed into movies, check out the list, you may find one you've been meaning to read:)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Fi...

Photobucket

What's romance without some beautiful words/prose, these are some lovely quotes, hope it gets you into the mood for Romance Month in August!!!

"You have absorb'd me. I have a sensation at the present moment as though I was dissolving." John Keats, poet

"Did my heart love till now? forswear it, sight! For I ne'er saw true beauty till this night."
William Shakespeare (Romeo & Juliet)

"Summer romances end for all kinds of reasons. But when all is said and done, they have one thing in common: They are shooting stars-a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, a fleeting glimpse of eternity. And in a flash, they're gone." Nicholas Sparks

"When one is in love, one always begins by deceiving one's self, and one always ends by deceiving others. That is what the world calls a romance." Oscar Wilde (The picture of Dorian Gray)

"Perhaps, after all, romance did not come into one’s life with pomp and blare, like a gay knight riding down; perhaps it crept to one’s side like an old friend through quiet ways; perhaps it revealed itself in seeming prose, until some sudden shaft of illumination flung athwart its pages betrayed the rhythm and the music; perhaps . . . perhaps . . . love unfolded naturally out of a beautiful friendship, as a golden-hearted rose slipping from its green sheath." L.M. Montgomery (Anne of Avonlea)

ENJOY YOUR READING FOR AUGUST

message 2: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Looks sweet Brenda!!

message 3: by Iris (new)

Iris Blobel (Iris-B) | 125 comments Ohhhh love a good romance - so I'll be in ! just in case someone wants to try a "new" auhtor *cough cough* ... my book will be out mid August :-)

message 4: by Brenda, Happily reading! (last edited Jul 19, 2011 09:45PM) (new)

Carmel wrote: "Looks sweet Brenda!!"

Thanks to you and Laura as well, Carmel...:)

message 5: by (new)

★  | 3064 comments Thats wonderful! Im not one for romance books myself, but right now Im in love with Neil Gaiman. Im going to read his book, Anansi Boys for this challenge.

*Not long ago I found out he is happily married. Damn it.

message 6: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Iris wrote: "Ohhhh love a good romance - so I'll be in ! just in case someone wants to try a "new" auhtor *cough cough* ... my book will be out mid August :-)"

Great news Iris...do a plug...put the link up so we can see:D

message 7: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

★ Jess ★ wrote: "Thats wonderful! Im not one for romance books myself, but right now Im in love with Neil Gaiman. Im going to read his book, Anansi Boys for this challenge.

*Not long ago I found out h..."

Ooohh..that's always the way Jess!!! Maybe he has a son???
Great choice of book too, by the way!!

message 8: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments ★ Jess ★ wrote: "*Not long ago I found out happily married. Damn it.."

Oh Jess, first it was the biscuits, now it's one of you favourite author's you can't have! Now if that's not a tragedy I don't know what is!!!

message 9: by Iris (new)

Iris Blobel (Iris-B) | 125 comments Brenda wrote: "Iris wrote: "Ohhhh love a good romance - so I'll be in ! just in case someone wants to try a "new" auhtor *cough cough* ... my book will be out mid August :-)"

Great news Iris...do a plug...put t..."

thanx - i'll add the details as soon as i get them :-)

message 10: by Gabrielle (last edited Jul 19, 2011 09:56PM) (new)

Gabrielle | 2 comments I will be reading the Stray series by Rachel Vincent and The Geek Job by Eve Langlais. Stray (Shifters, #1) by Rachel Vincent The Geek Job by Eve Langlais

message 11: by (new)

★  | 3064 comments Carmel wrote: "Oh Jess, first it was the biscuits, now it's one of you favourite author's you can't have! Now if that's not a tragedy I don't know what is!!! "

PATRICK NESS IS STILL SINGLE AND HE SHALL BE MINE.

message 12: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 195 comments I'm in, not sure what I'll read as it is my main genre. LOL. I could probably just do a list of the 30 odd books I read each month. :D

message 13: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Great Gabrielle and Sandra....

Sandra, the list of 30 books would be great...give others some ideas ;D

message 14: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

★ Jess ★ wrote: "Carmel wrote: "Oh Jess, first it was the biscuits, now it's one of you favourite author's you can't have! Now if that's not a tragedy I don't know what is!!! "

PATRICK NESS IS STILL SINGLE AND HE ..."

You go girl!!!!! ;D

message 15: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Iris wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Iris wrote: "Ohhhh love a good romance - so I'll be in ! just in case someone wants to try a "new" auhtor *cough cough* ... my book will be out mid August :-)"

Great news Iris...do..."

Can't wait to see it Iris!!

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4292 comments Weeeheee..another challenge is already here..gaahh..where does the time fly?!

message 17: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Laura wrote: "Weeeheee..another challenge is already here..gaahh..where does the time fly?!"

Very scary, how time goes so quickly!!!

message 18: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Lang (matthewlang) | 143 comments ★ Jess ★ wrote: "Thats wonderful! Im not one for romance books myself, but right now Im in love with Neil Gaiman. Im going to read his book, Anansi Boys for this challenge.

*Not long ago I found out h..."

...and straight.

Oh wait, that's just me, right? :p

Anyone after Australian M/M romance let me know. There's a few out there--including my own: The Secret of Talmor Manor

message 19: by Michael, Temporary happiness, I like it (new)

Michael (MichaelSwensson) | 9720 comments Mod
Im in chaps.

Will be reading this one The Moment by Douglas Kennedy

Fits the bill nicely even if its a long one. Oh well got plenty of time to read it.

message 20: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Michael wrote: "Im in chaps.

Will be reading this one The Moment by Douglas Kennedy

Fits the bill nicely even if its a long one. Oh well got plenty of time to read it."

Good one Michael...

I read the blurb before, when you first put it up...it sounds goooood...I've added it to MT TBR!!! Up to 208 now....as if...O.o;;

message 21: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Matthew wrote: "★ Jess ★ wrote: "Thats wonderful! Im not one for romance books myself, but right now Im in love with Neil Gaiman. Im going to read his book, Anansi Boys for this challenge.

*Not long ..."

What you going to read Matthew?

message 22: by Michael, Temporary happiness, I like it (new)

Sounds really good and im not scared of trying different genre's so bring it on. :D

message 23: by (new)

★  | 3064 comments Matthew wrote: "..and straight.

Oh wait, that's just me, right? :p."

Bloody Neil breaking hearts.

message 24: by Iris (new)

Iris Blobel (Iris-B) | 125 comments Brenda wrote: "Iris wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Iris wrote: "Ohhhh love a good romance - so I'll be in ! just in case someone wants to try a "new" auhtor *cough cough* ... my book will be out mid August :-)"

Great n..."

thx Brenda .... can't wait either .... LOVE the cover already :-)

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (shelld79) | 137 comments Oh dear. I don't know about this now. As an avid 'anti-romance' reader, just reading some of the titles of the books on that Top 100 list is making me cringe.......
Oh well, here goes nothing I guess....

message 26: by Monya (new)

Monya (MonyaMary) I shall cough modestly like Iris... I have two romances available, both as e-books and paperbacks.

Blueprint For Lovewr/as Monya Clayton. Contemporary, set in resort area of Queensland, sexy but not erotic. Hero Paul and heroine Cathy clash!

The Pirate And The Puritan by Mary Claytonwr/as Mary Clayton. Historical set in the British colonies of the now-USA. Sweet rating, though there's a few hot kisses and one single fondle. Often described as "unusual". Maybe that's because Mercy, the heroine, can't talk. And the reluctant pirate Edmund has a heart.

I can off the cuff recommend a few of Australian romance author Lindsay Armstrong's older novels: A Difficult Man, An Unsuitable Wife, and Unwilling Mistress.

Brenda's right, of course, check the links.

And Michelle, romances are a different cup of tea these days from when they received the "rubbish" and "bodice ripper" reputations. Dive in!

Monya (aka Mary)

message 27: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Lang (matthewlang) | 143 comments Brenda wrote: "Matthew wrote: "★ Jess ★ wrote: "Thats wonderful! Im not one for romance books myself, but right now Im in love with Neil Gaiman. Im going to read his book, Anansi Boys for this challen..."

L.A. Boneyard by P.A. Brown I think :)

message 28: by (new)

★  | 3064 comments Michelle wrote: "Oh dear. I don't know about this now. As an avid 'anti-romance' reader, just reading some of the titles of the books on that Top 100 list is making me cringe.......
Oh well, here goes nothing I gue..."

Same. I stay well away from romance, and cringe when I walk through the romance section in bookstores, thats why Im reading a book by an author I love, not a romance genre...

message 29: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Not quite sure what I'll bit for my book, will peruse my bookshelf!!

message 30: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (thefancyoctopus) | 1703 comments ok the only romancy novels I have read are the sookie stackhouse ones...and have been told they are not that romancy lol

But I'm up for something new I shall hunt one down that looks interesting :D

message 31: by Khenan (new)

Khenan Bragador | 115 comments Hmk i'll get one step closer to finishing Austen with Emma

message 32: by Sally906, Eclectic Reader (new)

Sally906 | 4585 comments Mod
I can't really say what I will read - am going to New Zealand for a month and have 27 books in my kindle with a further 69 in archive if I should run out of reading material - quite a few are romances - I have 3 'Virgin River' books by Robyn Carr which will fit the bill nicely, also Petticoat Ranch by Mary Connealy which is western with romance :)

Will post what I read when I get back :)

message 33: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) I don't normally read romance but apparently The Scarlet Pimpernel fits into this genre, So I'll probably read that.

message 34: by Riem (new)

Riem | 5 comments OK, here goes - 'How Do I Love Thee? Stories to Stir the Heart.' edited by Valerie Parv.

message 35: by Dot (new)

Dot (busyozmum) | 116 comments Call me crazy but I will attempt to read Gone With the Wind

I don't really read romance but I think I might like this one.... if I ever get through it. It's a very big book for Dot to stay focused on. LOL

message 36: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 55 comments I'm not sure which books I'll choose yet, but I'm going to commit to reading three Aussie authors published with Mills and Boon. Fiona Lowe for Medical, Nikki Logan for Sweet and Kelly Hunter because I loved "With this Fling".With This Fling...

message 37: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (thefancyoctopus) | 1703 comments your crazy dot lol

I loved the movie...I want all her dresses

message 38: by Dot (new)

Dot (busyozmum) | 116 comments Melanie wrote: "your crazy dot lol

I loved the movie...I want all her dresses"

You sound like my daughter Melanie. LOL

message 39: by Aimie (new)

Aimie (Aim4theNeck) | 14 comments I'm going to read Undead and Unwed (Undead, #1) by MaryJanice Davidson and probably Night Embrace (Dark-Hunter, #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon :)

message 40: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Michelle wrote: "Oh dear. I don't know about this now. As an avid 'anti-romance' reader, just reading some of the titles of the books on that Top 100 list is making me cringe.......
Oh well, here goes nothing I gue..."

Michelle, and all the others of you who don't read 'romance' as such, don't forget this offer for you to think about.....

SO...for those who can't bear the thought of reading a romance novel, and you have a passion/a romance for a topic, could be cooking, craft, dance, mechanics, art, travel, architecture etc, perhaps select a favourite book you've been meaning to get your teeth into.. OR choose your favourite author of all time, doesn't have to be Aussie...and read her/him, just for the love of it!!

message 41: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

There's some awesome mixtures chosen here...Dot, you are very brave with your choice!!!!

message 42: by Michael, Temporary happiness, I like it (new)

Wusses lol joking i can understand im not full on romance myself but i can handle one book from time to time. :D

message 43: by Mish (new)

Mish | 3150 comments I'm going to read these 2 books for this challenge

My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon

message 44: by Monya (new)

Monya (MonyaMary) Knowledge Lost wrote: "I don't normally read romance but apparently The Scarlet Pimpernel fits into this genre, So I'll probably read that."

Wow, KL. The Scarlet Pimpernel isn't strictly romance, it's historical fiction with a bit of romance along the way. But very skilfully written and a famous story. I read it many years ago. Enjoy!

Monya (aka Mary)

message 45: by Monya (new)

Monya (MonyaMary) Dot wrote: "Call me crazy but I will attempt to read Gone With the Wind

I don't really read romance but I think I might like this one.... if I ever get through it. It's a very big book for Dot to..."

Hi Dot - it's a big book, yes, but your interest won't fade, I assure you. A masterpiece of historical fiction. As I just mentioned to KL of The S. Pimpernel, there's romance in the story so it qualifies. You'll love it.

Monya (aka Mary)

message 46: by Monya (new)

Monya (MonyaMary) Mish wrote: "I'm going to read these 2 books for this challenge

My Name Is Memory by Ann BrasharesOutlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon"

Mish - "Outlander" is superb. Also long, but a great story.

Ever tried M.M. Kaye's "The Far Pavilions"? Brilliant. Also I'd class it as historical fiction with a romantic element.

Monya (aka Mary)

message 47: by Maggie (new)

Maggie I'll try Shadowlands and / or Faro's Daughter.

message 48: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Well I think I will try and read Water for Elephants, I know a number of my friends have read it and loved/liked it!!

message 49: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (thefancyoctopus) | 1703 comments :O does that count as a Romance book Carmel!
If so well I to shall be reading Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen plus its part of my winter challenge :D

message 50: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Yes Melanie it would be considered a love story!

« previous 1 3 4 5

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Anansi Boys (other topics)
Stray (other topics)
The Geek Job (other topics)
The Secret of Talmor Manor (other topics)
The Moment (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mary Connealy (other topics)
Robyn Carr (other topics)
Susan Lewis (other topics)
Michelle Diener (other topics)
Neil Gaiman (other topics)
More...