Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

Sai King's Favorite Books > Calling all BLURBS!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 105) (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Debra (last edited Aug 16, 2011 08:59AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 2530 comments Mod
I'm constantly looking for more books to add to my "sai-king-recommends" bookshelf so we will have plenty to choose from for our group reads and for each of us to read on our own.

So, if you don't see a book you know was recommended by Stephen King on that list, let me know here and I'll add it. I'd appreciate if you could include your source for the recommendation and if King wrote a review or blurb, please add the complete text here, also. In most cases, you should just be able to copy and paste the text, although I've found myself sitting in front of the computer typing the blurb off a book I'm reading.

Also, in many cases Stephen King gives a blanket recommendation to all of an author's work. Perhaps in time I will be able to add every single work of these authors to my list, but it may not be feasible and many authors are very prolific. So if don't see a book by an author Stephen King recommends which you'd like added to the list, just let me know.

You can view my list here:
sai-king-recommends bookshelf

Thanks, all!
Debra

message 2: by Debra (new)

Thanks Kyle. I had seen that list and thought I had them all added, but I must have missed that one. I just started a discussion thread for Bentley Little since he is one of King's favorite authors.

message 3: by Debra (new)

As I've mentioned before, I'm still adding books to my "sai-king-recommends" bookshelf. I'm behind on adding books by King's favorite authors, so if you see an author on my list with a review that says something like: "Stephen King recommended author," feel free to suggest books for that author you'd like me to add.

message 4: by Debra (new)

Always looking for books and authors to add to the list on the sai-king-recommends bookshelf.

I changed this topic name to "Calling all blurbs!" If you find a book with a SK blurb, add it here AND the blurb here, so I can add it to the list.

If you read something where SK recommends a book to read, please let us know here AND site the source information (source name, date, etc.).

Thanks all!
Deb

message 5: by April (new)

April | 44 comments I just picked up the print edition of "Book Page", October 2012. On Page 22 the book Breed Breed by Chase Novak by Chase Novak is featured. Book Page states, "...author Scott Spencer changes his name to Chase Novak and bursts out fully armed as a knight of horror, dubbed by none other than Stephen King in the cover blurb. King is justified in his enthusiasm for Breed : It's hard to imagine a more twisted or timely riff on the theme of lycanthropy, whereby the monsters must fend off a desire to devour their own children." You can view this print edition online at http://issuu.com/book_page/docs/bookp... .

message 6: by Debra (new)

I'm going to have to read that one and add it our list. Good catch, April!

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (lboyd5900attnet) | 590 comments I like Book Page.

message 8: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (NoisyReading) | 15 comments I just checked Breed out of the library and will be starting it in a couple of days. The blurb on the cover by SK definitely helped me decide to grab it.

message 9: by April (new)

April | 44 comments Tracy wrote: "I just checked Breed out of the library and will be starting it in a couple of days. The blurb on the cover by SK definitely helped me decide to grab it."

Tracy, I, too, have Breed by Chase Novak checked out from the library.

Linda, I LOVE Book Page! :)

message 10: by Debra (new)

I've got it on order, too.

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (lboyd5900attnet) | 590 comments April wrote: "Tracy wrote: "I just checked Breed out of the library and will be starting it in a couple of days. The blurb on the cover by SK definitely helped me decide to grab it."

Tracy, I, too, have [bookco..."

April, did you know that there is an app for it for the Iphone?? I pick up my copies at Books-A-Million.

message 12: by April (new)

April | 44 comments @ Linda...NO, I sure didn't! I wonder, then, if there is an iPad app???? I will check! I usually pick my copy up at the library. But an app would be fun!

message 13: by April (new)

April | 44 comments My daily BookBub e-mail informed me that The Fifth Avenue Series Boxed Set The Fifth Avenue Series Boxed Set by Christopher Smith by Christopher Smith was available for free download through Amazon Kindle. When I checked it out on GRs I noticed that Christopher Smith is King recommended author. He has been quoted, "Put me down as an enthusiastic Christopher Smith fan. Smith is a cultural genius."

Sooooo......OF COURSE, I downloaded it! :)

message 14: by Amber (new)

Amber | 126 comments I've noticed on both Goodreads and Shelf Awareness that the ad for the new Joyce Carol Oates book called The Accursed (I can't link it right now, sorry), includes a blurb from King. . . "Joyce Carol Oates has written what may be the world's first postmodern Gothic novel. . . You should read it." (Stephen King, The New York Times Book Review). I attempted a quick peek at 'our' shelf and don't believe I saw it listed.

message 15: by April (new)

April | 44 comments Amber wrote: "I've noticed on both Goodreads and Shelf Awareness that the ad for the new Joyce Carol Oates book called The Accursed (I can't link it right now, sorry), includes a blurb from King. . . "Joyce Caro..."

I saw that, too!

message 16: by Debra (last edited Mar 28, 2013 05:22AM) (new)

Thanks for the blurb alerts April and Amber. I've added the books to my bookshelf and Almeta will be adding Christopher Smith to our fav authors list.

Good catches, ladies!

I want to start the Fifth Avenue series now. With the Accursed, I want to read the previous books in the series first. So many books...

message 17: by Amber (new)

Amber | 126 comments So many books, so little time. . . :)

message 18: by Debra (new)

exactly!

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 358 comments The Shadow Tracer by Meg Gardiner has been blurbed by King. 'The next suspense superstar' Stephen King. It's mentioned in both the book description on Goodreads and on Amazon in the "Praise for M.G Gardiner". Looks interesting!

message 20: by Debra (new)

Thanks for the blurb, Sarah. We've got Gardiner on our favorite author list from her Evan Delaney series. I've added Shadow Tracer to my sai-king-recommends bookshelf.

message 21: by Amber (new)

Amber | 126 comments I haven't found it on the bookshelf: The Troop

"The Troop scared the hell out of me, and I couldn't put it down. This is old-school horror at its best." -Stephen King

This was in an email I received from Simon & Schuster.

message 22: by Janice (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 779 comments On Jan 26, 2014, Steven King tweeted, "DOMINION, by C.J. Sansom: Great alternate-history novel. The Nazis win, occupy Britain. On sale this week. Check it out." And then on Jan 27, 2014, he added, "
That book DOMINION is terrific. And no, this isn't one of those publisher-sponsored blurbs. I just fell in love with it. Nice and long, too."

message 23: by Debra (new)

Thanks for the blurbs, Janice. Adding this one to our list!

message 24: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Belcamino (wwwgoodreadscomkristibelcamino) Forgive me if I missed this above -- Alex Marwood The Wicked Girls -- SK named it one of his top 10 books from 2013.

message 25: by carolyn (new)

carolyn (papersquared) I have one! Brutal Youth (Anthony Breznican):

“If you thought high school was hell, has Anthony Breznican got a story for you … Every bully who stalked you, every sadistic teacher who ever terrified you, every stupid prank, every hopeless crush and false friend: they’re all here, along with a few kids who hang together and try to do the right thing in a brutal environment. By turns funny and terrifying, Brutal Youth is an unputdownable tour-de-force, a Rebel Without a Cause for the 21st century.”
—Stephen King

message 26: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited Mar 19, 2014 11:21PM) (new)

Almeta (MenFromMarrs) | 1027 comments Mod
carolyn wrote: "I have one! Brutal Youth (Anthony Breznican):

“If you thought high school was hell, has Anthony Breznican got a story for you … Every bully who stalked you, every sadistic teacher who ever terrifi..."

Anthony Breznican actually joined our group in March.

His book Brutal Youth: A Novel and the blurb have been added to the Sai King Recommends bookshelf.

I hope he joins us for the Something Wicked This Way Comes, as well as our other discussions!

message 27: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Breznican | 11 comments Carolyn, thank you so much for mentioning me. Getting a blurb from Stephen King is one of the coolest honors I can imagine.

His influence and fingerprints are all over my weird little coming-of-age story. I am humbled by his generosity in extending a hand to a newbie like me.

AB

message 28: by Debra (new)

Kristi wrote: "Forgive me if I missed this above -- Alex Marwood The Wicked Girls -- SK named it one of his top 10 books from 2013."

Thanks Kristi! I've added it to my sai-king-recommends bookshelf.

message 29: by Debra (last edited Mar 20, 2014 02:05AM) (new)

Anthony, that is so exciting! You must be head-over-heels elated!

Now, how do I get a signed copy of it!? (wink)

message 30: by Debra (last edited Mar 22, 2014 08:12AM) (new)

I've added SK EW 2013 picks to my sai-king-recommends bookshelf. Here is what SK said:

Okay, friends, you know the drill: For this list, I didn’t restrict myself to the best books published this year. Instead, I named the best books I read this year, which gives me a little more latitude than most year-end list-makers. As it happens, the majority of those below were published this year, and all are recent. The ones you haven’t read already would make a great way to start 2014.

10 The Good Nurse
Charles Graeber
You think Annie Wilkes was bad? Check out this chilling nonfiction account of Charlie Cullen, a friendly nurse who may have killed several -hundred patients before he was caught. Now, there’s a real cockadoodie brat.

9 The Shining Girls
Lauren Beukes
No, not the twins from the Kubrick movie, but the targets of a serial killer who finds a time portal in Chicago during the Depression and jackrabbits his way through recent American history, killing women and taking trophies. Until, that is, he encounters a tuff girl who’s not so easy to do away with. It’s the black-hole version of The Time Traveler’s Wife.

8 The Wicked Girls
Alex Marwood
Obviously, 2013 was the year of girls gone wild. Bel and Jade are the 11-year-old wicked girls, so dubbed by the British press when they’re convicted of murdering a 4-year-old left in their care. Finally paroled, they’re told they must never see each other again. Years later, with new lives, they come together in a run-down seaside amusement park where a killer is running wild. The suspense keeps the pages flying, but what sets this one apart is the palpable sense of onrushing doom.

7 The Casual Vacancy
J.K. Rowling
Not since Peyton Place has a writer so enthusiastically stripped the lace covers from small-town life to show the maggots of greed, lust, snobbery, and ambition squirming beneath—only Grace Metalious didn’t have Jo Rowling’s wicked sense of humor. The village of Pagford may be British, but the human foibles there are universal. Like the best social comedies, The Casual Vacancy features wit on top and outrage simmering below.

6 City of Women
David R. Gillham
The city is Berlin, 1943, and the woman we care about is Sigrid, whose husband is fighting on the eastern front. Sigrid is seduced by two very different men (the sex in this book is hot-hot-hot), but the real seduction involves her reluctant participation in a scheme to ferry Jews to safety. You haven’t experienced such gray skies since season 1 of The Killing, but the feel is all Casablanca. I can’t wait for Gillham’s next novel—play it again, Sam.

5 The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet
David Mitchell
In this historical novel, an unassuming Dutch bookkeeper named Jacob de Zoet falls in love with a beautiful midwife in 18th-century Japan. When Miss Aiba-gawa is spirited away to a mountain monastery, Jacob finds the heroism in his soul. Here is a bygone secret world full of charm and horror. Mitchell is best known for Cloud Atlas, which was a literary stunt in this correspondent’s opinion. The Thousand Autumns is far better.

4 The Goldfinch
Donna Tartt
Theo Decker’s mother is killed in a bombing that rocks the Metropolitan Museum of Art; Theo, unharmed, escapes with a valuable painting called The Goldfinch. He carries this symbol of grief and loss from early adolescence into an adulthood fraught with danger and beset by addiction. The long middle sequence, set in a housing development on the seedy, sand-blown outskirts of Las Vegas, is a standout. Tartt proves that the Dickensian novel—expansive and bursting with incident—is alive and well.

3 Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies
Hilary Mantel
Together they form one long novel (with a third to follow) about the life of Thomas Cromwell, King Henry VIII’s political and financial adviser. Mantel takes a -figure history has cast as a calculating villain and throws a warm glow over his family, his motives, and his implacable resolve. The language is rich, and the scenes leading to Anne Boleyn’s execution are unforgettable.

2 The Interestings
Meg Wolitzer
A group of adolescents—little more than children, really—meet at a camp where kids explore their creativity. Ethan, Jules, Cathy, Goodman, Ash: All believe they are meant for great things. This assumption of huge talent where there may be little or none lies at the heart of Wolitzer’s novel, which sweeps across a span of decades. There’s sentiment here, full and wholehearted, but little sentimentality. Like The Corrections,The Interestings addresses one of fiction’s great themes: how we make peace with our own shortcomings and make the best of ordinary lives.

1 The Orphan Master’s Son
Adam Johnson
In a stunning feat of imagination, Johnson puts us inside Jun Do (yep, John Doe), a North Korean orphan who stumbles from poverty to a job as body double for a Hero of the Eternal Revolution. The closed world of North Korea revealed here—where businessmen are conscripted to work in the rice fields and the ruthless Kim Jong-il is still the Dear Leader—goes beyond anything Orwell ever imagined. The Orphan Master’s Son veers from cold terror to surrealistic humor with ease, and succeeds as both a thriller and a social satire. Put it on your shelf next to Catch-22.

message 31: by Almeta, co-moderator (new)

Debra wrote: "Anthony, that is so exciting! You must be head-over-heels elated!

Now, how do I get a signed copy of it!? (wink)"

lol!!!

You can register to win an advanced copy! Book Giveaway For Brutal Youth: A Novel, but you'd better hurry. The giveaway will be closing in 3 days.

message 32: by Tara Rose (new)

Tara Rose Rowe (terrorrose) | 60 comments Crab Monsters, Teenage Cavemen, and Candy Stripe Nurses. - there is a blurb on the cover by Stephen King

message 33: by Almeta, co-moderator (new)

Tara Rose wrote: "Crab Monsters, Teenage Cavemen, and Candy Stripe Nurses. - there is a blurb on the cover by Stephen King"

Really? What did he say?

message 34: by Tara Rose (new)

Tara Rose Rowe (terrorrose) | 60 comments I just saw it on the cover and the pic was small, just checking it out from my phone.

message 35: by Tara Rose (new)

Tara Rose Rowe (terrorrose) | 60 comments It said "fantastic" and "treasure"

message 36: by Debra (last edited May 05, 2014 12:29AM) (new)

I enlarged the book cover and saw the blurb. Have added it to the sai-king-recommends bookshelf. Thanks, Tara Rose!

message 37: by Almeta, co-moderator (new)

Tara Rose wrote: "Crab Monsters, Teenage Cavemen, and Candy Stripe Nurses. - there is a blurb on the cover by Stephen King"

Very fond of Corman's original "Little Shop of Horrors". So bad it's good. It later became an off-broadway musical and still later a musical film.

The musical is a riot BUT nothing like the original.

I think I will read this one.

Thanks for pointing it out Tara Rose.

message 38: by Tara Rose (new)

Tara Rose Rowe (terrorrose) | 60 comments I'm a huge fan of B movies! I learned about most from a little show called mystery science theater 3000. This is how I can across the book, as a recommendation after liking MST3K!

message 39: by Almeta, co-moderator (new)

Tara Rose wrote: "I'm a huge fan of B movies! I learned about most from a little show called mystery science theater 3000. This is how I can across the book, as a recommendation after liking MST3K!"

Love Mystery Science Theater! :D

message 40: by Debra (new)

Hilarious show!

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 358 comments One of the Goodreads featured books which pops up on the side The Three by Sarah Lotz has a Stephen King Blurb which says: 'Really wonderful' - Stephen King

message 42: by Almeta, co-moderator (new)

'The Three is really wonderful, a mix of Michael Crichton and Shirley Jackson. Hard to put down and vastly entertaining.’ – Stephen King

http://www.hodderscape.co.uk/the-thre...

Thanks for the heads-up, Sarah.

message 43: by Debra (new)

Thanks for letting us know, Sarah. And Almeta, thanks for finding the full blurb. I've added it to my sai-king-recommends bookshelf.

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 358 comments It does look good!

message 45: by Tom (new)

Tom | 45 comments Black Cross Greg Iles King says 'on fire with suspense'. They are actually in a band together. Rock Bottom Remainders. Read it. it was really good

message 46: by Debra (new)

Thanks for the heads-up Tom. Have added it to my sai-king-recommends bookshelf.

message 47: by Amber (new)

Amber | 126 comments Is The Shadow of the Wind on the shelf? My copy has a couple blurbs on/in it.

message 48: by Almeta, co-moderator (new)

Amber wrote: "Is The Shadow of the Wind on the shelf? My copy has a couple blurbs on/in it."

Stephen King says: "If you thought the true gothic novel died with the 19th century, this will change your mind. Shadow is the real deal, a novel full of cheesy splendor and creaking trapdoors, a novel where even the subplots have subplots. There's a haunted house (ah, but by what?) called the Angel of Mist, and the only horror greater than the thing rotting in its bricked-up crypt is (but of course, senor) the horror of doomed love."

What are the blurbs on your copy?

message 49: by Missy (new)

Missy | 124 comments Shadow of the Wind is an awesome book.

message 50: by Amber (new)

Amber | 126 comments Almeta wrote: "Amber wrote: "Is The Shadow of the Wind on the shelf? My copy has a couple blurbs on/in it."

Stephen King says: "If you thought the true gothic novel died with the 19th century, this w..."

The cover says "One gorgeous read."

Inside it says the same as yours to this point ". . .a novel where even the subplots have subplots. . . This is one gorgeous read. " Mine doesn't include the last sentence.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Breed (other topics)
The Fifth Avenue Series Boxed Set (other topics)
The Shadow Tracer (other topics)
The Troop (other topics)
Brutal Youth (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Chase Novak (other topics)
Christopher Smith (other topics)
Meg Gardiner (other topics)
Anthony Breznican (other topics)
Sarah Lotz (other topics)
More...