Topeka & Shawnee Co. Public Library discussion

Hush Podcast Discussions > Time Travel

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Thad | 31 comments Mod
On the next episode of Hush: A Podcast From Your Library we will be discussing books about time travel. Do you have a favorite book that involves time travel? Do you like your time travel fiction to be based on some sort of science or would you rather just read about someone who wakes up in a different time and place?

message 2: by Kelli (last edited Jul 21, 2011 11:34AM) (new)

Kelli (KelliSmith) | 173 comments Mod
I enjoyed Jasper Fforde's Eyre Affair. Thursday Next works as a special ops agent in literary detection in an alternate 1985 Great Britain. She is hunting after someone who is killing off literary characters in famous works of literature and transports herself into these books. I wouldn't classify it as your typical time travel book though.

Jeff Tate | 4 comments Mod
I generally prefer historical fiction over time travel fiction, but one of my all time favorite books is Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. The basic plot is that a young research travels back to the Middle Ages, only to discover that she has missed her time target and is potential trapped in Black Death 14th Century England. Her plight and a series of events from the future are woven together expertly. It has great characters and a rich historical setting. I was lucky enough to get my copy signed at a program at the Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library.

Thad | 31 comments Mod
Jeff wrote: "I generally prefer historical fiction over time travel fiction, but one of my all time favorite books is Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. The basic plot is that a young research travels back to the ..."

I know many people who love Doomsday Book. I read it many years ago and wasn't crazy about it. Maybe I should read it again and see if I have a different opinion.

Shari Schawo | 8 comments Mod
I'm not a big time travel reader it is usually incidental to the story. Probably the last thing I read that included time travel was Prada and Prejudice by Mandy Hubbard a fun YA loose retelling of Pride and Prejudice.

Kelli (KelliSmith) | 173 comments Mod
Has anyone read The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffeneger? I keep playing with the idea of reading it.

Heather Jenkins (heathernks) | 5 comments I have read Time Traveler's Wife and did not enjoy it. It was too weird for me and while I like a good "make believe" type of book (ie. Harry Potter) this was just too much for me. I also in turn did not like the movie.

Kjennings | 5 comments Kelli wrote: "Has anyone read The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffeneger? I keep playing with the idea of reading it."

I have read the Time Traveler's Wife and I loved it. However, I didn't like the movie at all. I am not into reading time travel books but this one really kept my attention.

Staci (Staciw) | 3 comments My favorite book about time travel is A Wrinkle In Time. I read it in Fifth grade and it's still one of my favorites.

Thad | 31 comments Mod
Mw wrote: "My favorite book about time travel is A Wrinkle In Time. I read it in Fifth grade and it's still one of my favorites."

I read A Wrinkle in Time in 5th grade also. Definitely one of my favorites.

Terry | 6 comments Kelli wrote: "Has anyone read The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffeneger? I keep playing with the idea of reading it."

I gave it 50 pages and it was too creepy. I love time travel stories, but this one left me cold.

Terry | 6 comments My favorite is "The Door Into Summer" by Robert Heinlein. Guy named Dan is a brilliant inventor and is just about to cash in big on his latest invention. His best friend and fiancee trick him into getting cryogenically frozen (with his cat). When he wakes up 30 years later, the "friends" are wealthy from his product. He finds a lab where they are almost ready for time travel, talks them into letting him try it, goes back 30 years, and.... the rest is the best of Heinlein.

Terry | 6 comments Staci wrote: "My favorite book about time travel is A Wrinkle In Time. I read it in Fifth grade and it's still one of my favorites."

Me too, Staci. Best book ever. It holds up even reading it as an adult.

Andrea (talk2me) | 11 comments This is a wonderfully fun romantic time travel adventure. The characters are great, the plot keeps you interested and I couldn't put it down. I can not wait until Sapphire Blue comes out.
flag
Ruby Red

Melanie | 194 comments I saw the movie and ended up reading Time Traveler's Wife with my book club. I enjoyed it. The author did a good job of keeping the reader knowing which Henry and which Clare the chapter is about. There were times I really didn't like Claire or I didn't like Henry but usually it wasn't at the same time.

In my book club we have one man and several women. Everyone seemed to enjoy it and we had a good discussion.

Melanie | 194 comments One of the books I read in high school that has stuck with me was "A Knight in Shining Armor" by Jude Deveraux. I found this book to be very funny at times, and it was an enjoyable read. I like the idea of love being able to cut across the boundaries of time.

There was a movie with Campbell Scott that I loved. He buys a desk from the Civil War and corresponds with Jennifer Jason Leigh who is in that time. Sappy, but again the theme of love has no time boundaries.

Rosemary Dahlgren (rldahlgren) | 11 comments one of my favorite time travel books is "11/22/63" by Stephen King. It is different from his other works and truely incredible. I recommend it to everyone!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ruby Red (other topics)