Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2011 Challenge Archive > August - Pick It For Me! Challenge

Comments (showing 451-500 of 732) (732 new)    post a comment »

message 451: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2000 comments Yep, that is what I'm planning to do. I'm going on trip soon. Waiting between flights should be a perfect time to listen. Btw, I totally agree with the walking thing :)

Dee wrote: "Vi - something you can do, if you have a MP3 player - is that most programs allows you to combine the tracks from the CD into one adn then transfer to device - I use this quite often with my ipod
..."

message 452: by ~Sara~ (new)

~Sara~ | 659 comments Isabella wrote: "~Sara~ wrote: "Isabella wrote: "Hello Sara

Here's your picks for this month, we have a very similar taste for our common books, but you rarely give 5 stars to a book :), so I hope you find somethi..."

Sounds good!

message 453: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Sevin (TugceninKitapligi) | 606 comments Daffodil wrote: "Tugce Nida

Started and finished Call Me Irresistible by Susan Elizabeth Phillips yesterday, 8-3-11.

Thanks so much for the rec.

Usually I won't start a book with previously written about charact..."

Glad you enjoyed it Daffodil!. That's exactly what had happened to me, I usually never read a series out of order, this one was the first and now I am going back and reading the previous ones. SEP became one of the authors I like.

@ Dee & Vi, I drive a long way to work everyday so I love listening my audiobooks in the car, I started to enjoy the traffic jam ;) I also love listening while I am jogging/walking early in the mornings whenever I can drag myself out of bed to do so. ;) When I try listening in bed instead of reading I usually fall asleep pretty soon to remember what I heard :) Enjoy your vacation Vi.

message 454: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Sevin (TugceninKitapligi) | 606 comments I have finished The Bride by Julie Garwood, I enjoyed it but I must admit I still prefer Honor's Splendour better. I think it kills the fun to read Julie Garwood books quite frequent, the stories are pretty similar so I started to get bored at some parts. Jamie (still like Madeleine more) made me laugh out loud quite a few times :) And I liked Alec (loved Duncan and Ian), but still the whole story made me feel like, it was forced a little. And Jamie was sometimes unrealistically naive :D Now moving on to Divergent for a buddyread with Megan.

message 455: by ~Megan~ (new)

~Megan~ (Megadee) I started Divergent this morning, and I'm already quite a ways into it! It has kind of caught my interest and I'll probably finish it today.

message 456: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil (Daffodil--RIPCranberry) | 1057 comments Tugce Nida

Hi, I picked up Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver at the library this week. I have it 'til the 16th, but can renew it 'til the 30th. Let me know when you want to start. Any time is good for me, but I thought you might want to wait until you finish your buddy read with Megan.

message 457: by Heather (new)

Heather (MessyBar) | 189 comments ~Megan~ wrote: "I started Divergent this morning, and I'm already quite a ways into it! It has kind of caught my interest and I'll probably finish it today."

Hope you really love Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth, Megan. For sure in my Top 5 for the year!

message 458: by KimKirt (new)

KimKirt | 1638 comments Hi Lethal!

I finished The Hunger Games and loved it! I will definitely continue on with the series. Thanks for the rec!

Kim

message 459: by Tuğçe (last edited Aug 05, 2011 08:17AM) (new)

Tuğçe Sevin (TugceninKitapligi) | 606 comments ~Megan~ wrote: "I started Divergent this morning, and I'm already quite a ways into it! It has kind of caught my interest and I'll probably finish it today."Wow that was fast :) ok i am reading it now and will PM you abt it :)

@Daffodil, we can start on monday if that's ok for you (i am counting on the good comments about Divergent to finish it over the weekend ;) if not i will let you know)

message 460: by Clare (new)

Clare (clarey) | 24 comments Hi Rena! I just finished The Perfect Rake by Anne Gracie. After a couple of paragraphs in, I realized that I had already read the book. But yes, it's so good! (: absolutely loved it, thanks for the recommendation!

The Perfect Rake (The Merridew Sisters, #1) by Anne Gracie

LethalLovely~You Knew Who I Was With Every Step That I Ran to You (LethalLovely) | 822 comments KimKirt wrote: "Hi Lethal!

I finished The Hunger Games and loved it! I will definitely continue on with the series. Thanks for the rec!

Kim"

YAY! I'm so glad that you liked it!

message 462: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil (Daffodil--RIPCranberry) | 1057 comments @ Tugce Nida

Monday would be fine.

message 463: by Heather (new)

Heather (MessyBar) | 189 comments Just finished Unlawful Contact (I-Team, #3) by Pamela Clare. Loved. It. 5 stars from me.
Her books keep getting better with each one I consume.
Thanks for the rec, Cathy!!

message 464: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cawils_99) Cheryl wrote: "taita wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "taita wrote: "~ Cheryl ~

I had fun looking through your bookshelves for my picks. I admit that you had some interesting ones there already, which I added to my own ..."

Cheryl wrote: "Sana wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "Hope you find at least one that you like. Let me know if you need something different. Enjoy!!..."

I think I will get started on Lessons From a Scarlet Lady by Emma W..."

Taita, I got Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord from the library so we can start the buddy read as soon as you are ready. Yeah :)

message 465: by Heather (new)

Heather (MessyBar) | 189 comments Completed Shakespeare's Landlord also, Cathy. Wish I could say that I loved or even liked this one, but I didn't. Thankfully it was a short story. Onto the next one.

August Completed Reads:
Unlawful Contact (I-Team, #3) by Pamela Clare Shakespeare's Landlord (A Lily Bard Mystery, #1) by Charlaine Harris

message 466: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 349 comments Heather wrote: "Completed Shakespeare's Landlord also, Cathy. Wish I could say that I loved or even liked this one, but I didn't. Thankfully it was a short story. Onto the next one.

August Complet..."

The thing about the Lily Bard series is that it doesn't start to get good until the 3rd book.

message 467: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 7343 comments I finished Candy Houses today 8/6 (3*). Tiffanny recommended this to me and we read it together as a buddy read. I enjoyed it, an interesting take on Grimm's fairy tales. It's the first in a series and I plan on continuing. Thanks for reading it with me Tiffanny and choosing it for me :)

message 468: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 349 comments I finished The Absolute Sandman, Vol. 1 today. I really enjoyed it. I'm not used to reading graphic novels, but I love Gaiman and I'll be finishing the other 3 vols. in the future. Thanks for the great recommendation, Sara!

message 469: by Caroline (last edited Aug 06, 2011 03:35PM) (new)

Caroline (Pip_squeak) | 556 comments I have just finished Mockingjay! Fran recommended it for me. It is a lot darker than the others but of course thats because of the subject matter. It made me cry a couple of times, it tells that no one benefits from war!... Thanks for the Rec Fran x x

message 470: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 7343 comments Caroline wrote: "I have just finished Mockingjay! Fran recommended it for me. It is a lot darker than the others but of course thats because of the subject matter. It made me cry a couple of times, i..."

Caroline,
I'm glad you finished the trilogy :) I agree that Mockingjay was a lot darker than the first two, tissues needed! I'm ready to startAttachments on Monday if that's ok with you- looking forward to it!

message 471: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cawils_99) Sana, I finally got Die for Me (Revenants, #1) by Amy Plum from the library so I am going to get started on the buddy read.

message 472: by Sana (new)

Sana (sanashams) Cheryl wrote: "Sana, I finally got Die for Me (Revenants, #1) by Amy Plum from the library so I am going to get started on the buddy read."

Okay great! I will start on it soon then.

message 473: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 2608 comments I finished Sweet Persuasion today - thanks for the recommendation, Dee! I don't think I liked it quite as much as the first book in the series, Sweet Surrender, but I did like it a lot and can't wait to continue the series!

message 474: by Lady Allison (new)

Lady Allison | 118 comments Heather, I LOVED the I-Team series! I read those a few weeks ago & can't wait until the next one!

Also, for anyone else reading The Help, if you are willing to listen, I highly recommend the audio version! I thought the book was hard to get into but I loved it by the end & the voices for each character were a big part of it.

message 475: by Heather (new)

Heather (MessyBar) | 189 comments I've become addicted Lady Allison! I want to read #4 and 5, but because I want to read them so much, I'm pacing myself to one a month to prolong the enjoyment. lol

message 476: by MountainKat, Moderator (last edited Aug 07, 2011 04:30PM) (new)

MountainKat | 4929 comments Larissa, I just finished Shaken - loved it!! I don't usually enjoy short stories that much, but it was really very good. The author was able to get the emotions and characters conveyed in a very short time. Thank you for picking this book for me and introducing me to a new author! If I have time, I hope to get to some more picks later!

message 477: by Lady Allison (new)

Lady Allison | 118 comments Heather wrote: "I've become addicted Lady Allison! I want to read #4 and 5, but because I want to read them so much, I'm pacing myself to one a month to prolong the enjoyment. lol"

Your self control impresses me! I can't do that, LOL!

message 478: by Sana (last edited Aug 07, 2011 04:54PM) (new)

Sana (sanashams) I am done with Nightshade by Andrea Cremer. Wow, what a read!

Thanks to Liame for agreeing for the Buddy Read!

message 479: by Cathy (new)

Cathy C | 346 comments AUGUST PICK IT FOR ME - RRRC

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs
Blaze of Memory by Nalini Singh 8/7 ★★★★★

Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs Blaze of Memory (Psy-Changeling, #7) by Nalini Singh

message 480: by Dee, Moderator (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7189 comments Karen - I felt the same way...there was just something missing...I did like the 3rd one though

~KarenH~ wrote: "I finished Sweet Persuasion today - thanks for the recommendation, Dee! I don't think I liked it quite as much as the first book in the series, Sweet Surrender, but I..."

message 481: by Cathy (new)

Cathy C | 346 comments D.G. ~Vile Temptress~

I just finished Blaze of Memory and loved it. Dev and Katya were such a great couple. Nalini Singh is one of my fav authors.

Cathy C

message 482: by Regina (new)

Regina Polli | 177 comments I finished Razieland loved it! I´m going to buy Demon now and follow this serie!

Thanks, Sarah for the rec.

message 483: by Cathy (last edited Aug 07, 2011 06:41PM) (new)

Cathy Galloway | 606 comments Heather wrote: "Completed Shakespeare's Landlord also, Cathy. Wish I could say that I loved or even liked this one, but I didn't. Thankfully it was a short story. Onto the next one.

August Complet..."

The thing about the Lily Bard series is that it doesn't start to get good until the 3rd book.

I agree that the later books are better, but I just cannot skip books in series. While they are a bit dark, I did enjoy them.

Heather, do you still want to buddy read Unlocked?

message 484: by taita (new)

taita | 244 comments Hi Cheryl,
I'm ready to read Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord with you. I'll be logging my progress as I start tonight. Looking forward to it!

message 485: by Amanda (new)

Amanda D. (Tinyminx) | 307 comments Finished Seduce Me at Sunrise. It was enjoyable, but I didn't like it as much as I thought I would actually. A little more than halfway through the book, I found myself losing interest in Win & Kev. I definitely want to read Leo's book, but the other two sisters haven't really stood out to me. Maybe I just enjoyed The Wallflowers too much that any other series by Lisa Kleypas will have a hard time competing.

message 486: by Kami (new)

Kami (aidansmama) | 973 comments I finished Blood Promise. I really enjoy this series a lot and I like reading about Dimitri and Rose. I gave this one four stars. I have the other two in the series so I can finish it off hopefully soon.

message 487: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Sevin (TugceninKitapligi) | 606 comments Kami wrote: "I finished Blood Promise. I really enjoy this series a lot and I like reading about Dimitri and Rose. I gave this one four stars. I have the other two in the series so I can finish it off hopefully..."

Keep reading and it gets definitely better and better or so I thought.

message 488: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Sevin (TugceninKitapligi) | 606 comments Daffodil wrote: "@ Tugce Nida

Monday would be fine."

I am ready for Before I fall, Daffodil.

And I finished Divergent, I loved it. I wasn't sure about how much I liked it until the last quarter of the book (4stars or 5stars) but it turned out that I cannot stop reading it and I loved it but I hate it when the book ends leaving me in a wonder state and I have to wait for the next one for a long time... Thank you Megan for suggesting it, 3rd book in a row from your recs and nothing disappointing yet.

message 489: by Isabella (last edited Aug 08, 2011 03:31PM) (new)

Isabella Queirouz | 201 comments ~Sara~ wrote: "Isabella wrote: "~Sara~ wrote: "Isabella wrote: "Hello Sara

Here's your picks for this month, we have a very similar taste for our common books, but you rarely give 5 stars to a book :), so I hope..."

Hi Sara, I'm starting today THE BOOK THIEF are you OK with it? Tell me what you think if not we can choose another date.

message 490: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Wadsworth (djtjmom) | 78 comments Pollyanna - I have the book Vampire Crush whenever you are ready to start the buddy read, let me know.

message 491: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Wadsworth (djtjmom) | 78 comments ARI
I have the book Amy & Rogers Epic Adventure - let me know when you are ready to start the buddy read

message 492: by Heather (new)

Heather (MessyBar) | 189 comments Cathy wrote: "Heather, do you still want to buddy read
Unlocked?"

I do, Cathy! I'm in the middle of another book at the moment, but I should have that finished tonight or tomorrow. Want to shoot for Wednesday?

message 493: by Layla (new)

Layla  | 667 comments Jane(PS),I've really enjoyed your recs. I've read :

Shield's Lady (Lost Colony) by Jayne Ann Krentz I liked the story, the slight touch of PNR was very intriguing but the best part was the interaction between the main characters. The heroine was very argumentative and a bit of materialistic,which was a very welcome change from the usual heroines.
After Dark (Harmony,  #1) by Jayne Castle I found very interesting the amber ruins. I didn't quite felt the connection between Lydia and Emmett, I thought she was a little aloof and their love seemed forced.Other than that, it was an okay story and I think I'll read After Glow for an overall opinion.
Seduction by Amanda Quick This was a cute story. I especially liked the heroine because she was so funny and I fully understood her actions and her motives. The hero, however, didn't appeal so much to me. He was a "one-street" character who takes a major turn at the end of the book.
Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins This was such a depressing read. Everyone I cared for,died. Such a tragic fate! Katniss let me down, she changed a lot since the first book and not in a good way.
Games of Command by Linnea Sinclair I loved the hero. I want a Kel-Paten for myself, he was just sooo intense and dedicated. I don't usually feel the need to punch the heroine but Sass was so narrow-minded. Although,she did redeem herself towards the end. The second love story was nice but I found myself reading faster so I could get to the main character's scenes.

Thanks for introducing me to Linnea Sinclair(she's a jewel for my spaceopera fix) and Quick/Castle/Krentz!

message 494: by Megan L (last edited Aug 25, 2011 04:23PM) (new)

Megan L Harnett | 804 comments 1. Naked in Death by J.D. Robb is in your to read and I love this series! You definitely need to give it a try! finished on 8/8/11
2. Unearthly by Cynthia Hand. I'm all about the old fashioned girly names and I think the name Clara is gorgeous. I haven't read this yet, but it is sitting around so if you read it let me know how you enjoy it! Finished on 8/12/11
3. Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble by H.P. Mallory. I noticed that you enjoy Urban Fantasy and this author is a great example of it. I have read and enjoyed all of her books, but this series in particular is my favorite. Finished on 8/15/11 I loved this book and can't wait to read the next one!

4. Forever by Maggie Stiefvater. You've read the first two and this is a new release that you haven't had a chance to read yet! I've really enjoyed this series. Finished on 8/21/11

5. Wicked Appetite by Janet Evanovich. You seem to love her Stephanie Plum series, but haven't read any of her other books. This is the first in a brand new series. It's got the humor in Stephanie Plum, but it's also a great Urban Fantasy series. Finished 8/24/11 This book is awesome!!! I loved it!
6. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. You have read a few YA books, but mostly adult romance. This series will not fail you. I read the entire series in two days because I could not put it down these books are wonderful!
7. The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. This book was crazy popular NY Times best seller list a couple years ago. I just read it and I know why now. This is an amazing, unique book! It's not a romance, but it is such a great story about a dog reflecting back on his life while on his death bed. I know it sounds weird, but I couldn't put it down.

8. Just Listen by Sarah Dessen. I've read this before, but I'd love to read it again with you because it's one of my favorites by Dessen. It's not very short, but it's a YA so it's a quick read. finished on 8/9/11
9. Rescue Me by Christy Reece. This series is extremely highly rated and I've been wanting to try it for awhile so please let me know if you are interested in reading it with me! finished on 8/13/11

Buddy Reads I suggested:

Poddy calf- The Iron Daughter I read the first one in this series last month and I thought it was a quick read. So I will read this one with you. Finished on 8/16/11. I liked this next book in the series.

Breeding Stock- Tiger's Curse I think this book and series looks fascinating. I hope it is a keeper! I love this book! It was over before I wanted it to be! Finished on 8/21/11

message 495: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Galloway | 606 comments Heather wrote: "Cathy wrote: "Heather, do you still want to buddy read
Unlocked?"

I do, Cathy! I'm in the middle of another book at the moment, but I should have that finished tonight or tomorro..."

Heather,
Wednesday is perfect, since I have a lot going on tomorrow.

message 496: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil (Daffodil--RIPCranberry) | 1057 comments Tugce Nida

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

I started a thread for the buddy read here.

message 497: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cawils_99) I finished my buddy read with Taila Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2) by Sarah MacLean. I gave it 5 stars. Thanks for recommending this series Taila, I will be reading more.

message 498: by Larissa (new)

Larissa | 138 comments MountainKat,

I'm so glad that you loved the book! And I'm sorry I wasn't able to read it with you - perhaps until the end of the month I have a spare time. But it's just great to know that you enjoyed it - I fell like my mission is accomplished :)

message 499: by Heather (new)

Heather (MessyBar) | 189 comments Cathy wrote: "Wednesday is perfect, since I have a lot going on tomorrow..."
Great. I'll post on here when I start, did you want to converse via another means?

message 500: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Galloway | 606 comments Heather wrote: "Cathy wrote: "Wednesday is perfect, since I have a lot going on tomorrow..."
Great. I'll post on here when I start, did you want to converse via another means?"

I've never done a buddy read on here before. What have you done that worked well?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dead Until Dark (other topics)
Hard and Fast (other topics)
Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (other topics)
Perfect (other topics)
Once an Angel (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lisa Kleypas (other topics)
Teresa Medeiros (other topics)
Erin McCarthy (other topics)
Megan Hart (other topics)
Sarah MacLean (other topics)
More...