Terminalcoffee discussion

Face Off! (Less Serious) > Jelly or Jam?

Comments (showing 1-22 of 22) (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Personally, I don't like either. It's just too sweet for me. I never knew there was a difference but I just read this from The Straight Dope:

Cecil replies:

You're going to sleep like a baby tonight, kid. Jelly is made from fruit juice and so has no fruit bits. Jam is made by boiling fruit and does have fruit bits. Preserves are basically the same as jam unless you buy them from Smucker's, in which case if it's got seeds in it it's preserves and if it doesn't it's jam. Marmalade typically is a citrus-based preserve, sometimes containing the rind, but other fruits can be used. Apple and peanut butter are called that because they bear a resemblance to dairy butter. But if you want to call it apple jam (as opposed to apple jelly, which is made from juice), fine by me.

— Cecil Adams

Which do you prefer?

message 2: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments Jam- but I do like grape jelly once in a great while.

message 3: by Janice (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) Both. I grew up on the grounds of a former horticulural research station and our whole neighborhood had lots of crab apple trees and plum trees. Add to that the nanking cherry trees and high bush cranberries my dad planted and we were never out of homemade jams and jellies.

message 4: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Neither.

message 5: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Preserves. I would argue that jam and preserves are not quite the same. It's like a spectrum:

Jelly (thinnest, no chunks)......Jam (thicker, even ratio between the fruit and jelly parts).....Preserves (thickest, more fruit than jelly)

Just my general observations, since I'm not an expert on preserved fruit bits.

message 6: by Annie (last edited Jul 16, 2011 03:53PM) (new)

Annie (agrunwell) Jam, I suppose, but we've always called it jelly. And we call jelly... jelly.

message 7: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 750 comments Jam, but seedless only.

message 8: by Janice (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) BunWat wrote: "Mmmm, Janice that sounds idyllic."

Spring was nice when all the trees were in blossom.

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 23976 comments Annie is correct. Officially. Jelly definitely is jelly.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I like jelly, but not the jelly you are talking about. The wibbly wobbly jelly you eat with ice cream. Jam, I like raspberry jam with freshly baked scones and cream. Mmmmmm yummy.

message 11: by janine (last edited Jul 17, 2011 04:46AM) (new)

janine | 7715 comments Jam and preserves, no marmalade. I love brier jam.

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 23976 comments Brier?

message 13: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Rose hips.

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 23976 comments Ah.

message 15: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments Gail «Cyborg» wrote: "I like jelly, but not the jelly you are talking about. The wibbly wobbly jelly you eat with ice cream. "

Who? People eat jelly with ice cream? Why?

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 17, 2011 06:33PM) (new)

This is the jelly I am talking about. What do you call it?

message 17: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments Jello?

But why would one eat jello with ice cream?

message 18: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Jell-o?

message 19: by Janice (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) My mother eats ice cream with Jell-o. I wouldn't want to ruin the ice cream.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Jello?

But why would one eat jello with ice cream?"

Because it is yummy. (It is typically a quick dessert for kids). Why what do you eat with your 'jello'?

I am not a huge fan of ice cream. I like it served with something else.

message 21: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments I'm not a jello eater. It seems an odd combination to me. A more typical combination would be a warm brownie, or warm slice of pie, with a scoop of ice cream. The warm and the cold would nicely offset each other, leading to melty deliciousness.

message 22: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Jam, raspberry is preferred, but blueberry and strawberry are both good. Grape jelly is OK.

I've eaten jell-o with whipped cream, but not with ice cream, except for texture it can't be that different.

unread topics | mark unread