Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

how do you become a super librarian!?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 54) (54 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

how do you become a super librarian!?

Scott | 882 comments Get bitten by a radioactive book.

Shekhar Ruparelia (shekhar_ruparelia) | 1 comments Scott wrote: "Get bitten by a radioactive book."

ROFL !!!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... | 59 comments Scott wrote: "Get bitten by a radioactive book."

I tried that and it didn't work. ;)

Mounir | 23 comments Hint : SUPERMAN wears his underwear outside his pants.
So, may be ....

MissJessie--former librarian (MissJessie) LOL. They are chosen by the Gods in California, OKA The Powers That Be.

Mounir | 23 comments we are the people . LOL

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

haha :D

no i mean u can become a librarian and u can become a super librarian

message 10: by UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... (last edited Jul 16, 2011 02:07PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... | 59 comments I'm wondering the same thing, too, Miah. I tried to fix something for someone the other day and got the "Sorry, loser. You have to be a Super Librarian to do that" message.

Ok, "loser" wasn't in the message, but I felt like one.

**sniff, sniff**

Beth (BethJustBeth) | 1449 comments You get an invite from the Powers that Be...

Jessica | 959 comments Drink the special kool-aid. There may be some side-effects, though.

Beth (BethJustBeth) | 1449 comments Jessica wrote: "Drink the special kool-aid. There may be some side-effects, though."

lol!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "I'm wondering the same thing, too, Miah. I tried to fix something for someone the other day and got the "Sorry, loser. You have to be a Super Librarian to do that" message.

Ok, "loser" wasn't in t..."

haha funny
but yeah

Kenna (KennaS) | 7 comments Scott wrote: "Get bitten by a radioactive book."

This comment is full of win. And tiger blood. (hehe)

We need a thumbs up or laurels or karma or some thing like that for when we like a comment so we dont have to post it.

Tezar Yulianto | 86 comments why there's no response from goodreads?

MissJessie--former librarian (MissJessie) Probably because it's the weekend. Also the question has been answered, it's up to the PTB to select supers.

Alexis-Morgan Roark (alexismroark) | 3 comments Maybe it's carmageddon? I think they're in Santa Monica, and the 405 just reopened today; so, maybe they took some time off over the weekend? Although, you would think they could/would login remotely as well.

Paul McAlduff (pmcalduff) | 10 comments Q: How do you become a super librarian?

A: With heart, faith and skill. In the end there can be only one.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica wrote: "Drink the special kool-aid. There may be some side-effects, though."

lol

message 21: by MissJessie--former librarian (last edited Nov 18, 2011 02:16PM) (new)

MissJessie--former librarian (MissJessie) Ill effects may include an inflated self opinion [ ;)], a frenetic and frantic desire to right every (GR) wrong, crossed eyes from spending too much time on the site arbitrating and repairing, lack of sleep from same, etc.

An unenviable job, it seems to me. But one done with skill and enthusiasm by the chosen few. Thanks.

message 22: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 21564 comments Mod
Supers can be from anywhere. It may be all current ones are in the US; I never checked.

Paula (Paulaan) | 4377 comments Hand up in the UK :)

message 24: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

There you go.

James (James_K_Bowers) | 152 comments MissJessie wrote: "Ill effects may include...a frenetic and frantic desire to right every (GR) wrong..."

Well, I've got that symptom...

Daniel (WcvwOrg) | 11 comments "message 1: by deleted member"

Best not to ask? :P

message 27: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I believe this thread was started by a user who later deleted their own account.

Kim (catmommie) | 79 comments rivka wrote: "I believe this thread was started by a user who later deleted their own account."

sore loser?

message 29: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

People delete their accounts for all sorts of reasons.

Rasha | 5 comments the question still has no answer!!!

**sniff, sniff**

❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes) (jennevans) | 870 comments Rasha wrote: "the question still has no answer!!!

**sniff, sniff**"

It's been answered several times: GR employees invite only certain librarians to become super librarians. One would assume they only ask those librarians with long experience and short history of screwing things up. Plus an obviously thorough knowledge of the librarian manual and the policies and procedures of GR. But it is invite-only.

Vicky (vnorthw) | 2420 comments Every time I see these threads bumped I'm reminded of my college sorority days. Every year we gave out an honor to a male on campus who supported our sorority as a whole - whether it be coming to our events, helping out with our events, or just being a communal shoulder to cry on. It got to a point where guys were fighting over it - trying to out do one another, staking claims on it and trying to prove that they deserved it more than anyone else. None of them ever got the honor because we couldn't be sure it wasn't faked for the sake of the competition.

It's a little extreme for what's happening here - but long-story-short I don't think asking (and especially pestering) will get you brownie points towards becoming a super.

Krystal109 | 1081 comments There is only a small amount of things you can't do as a super, so I don't know why everyone wants the power. I mean, I just bookmark the delete this book page and post every time I find something I can't delete. Other than that, everything I do can be done with normal librarian status.

Laiju Lazar (laijus) | 1 comments Mounir wrote: "Hint : SUPERMAN wears his underwear outside his pants.
So, may be ...."

LoL..

♥iDevourBooks♥ ☆Sonic~Obsessed☆ (booklovesbooks) I think that, in order to become a super librarian you need to work hard on it, right? So...that's my answer, although I honestly don't know what a super librarian is.

Banjomike | 4796 comments Says it all

Judging (pun intended) by the apparent numbers of super librarians I would think that the PTB themselves don't see a need for large numbers of them. The bulk of the super librarian-only abilities don't do much more than take some of the load off the staff (including Rivka) which is OK by me.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 558 comments Scott wrote: "My question would be why do you want to be one?"

This was my question, too.

Rasha | 5 comments ❂ Jennifer wrote: "Rasha wrote: "the question still has no answer!!!

**sniff, sniff**"

It's been answered several times: GR employees invite only certain librarians to become super librarians. One would assume th..."

Rasha | 5 comments Scott wrote: "My question would be why do you want to be one?"

coz sometimes I need to delete pages of books I've made before. :)

Rasha | 5 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Scott wrote: "My question would be why do you want to be one?"

This was my question, too."

coz sometimes I need to delete pages of books I've made before. :)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Rasha, deleting an edition should be a very rare occurrence.

Shomeret | 21 comments Perhaps Rasha means that she has entered a book or an edition without realizing that it's already on the database. If it has no reviews yet, an ordinary librarian can deal with it. You don't need superpowers for that. You only need a super-librarian if the duplicate does have reviews.

Rasha | 5 comments Shomeret wrote: "Perhaps Rasha means that she has entered a book or an edition without realizing that it's already on the database. If it has no reviews yet, an ordinary librarian can deal with it. You don't need..."

Exactly. thank you any way :)

message 44: by Keithasaurus (last edited May 06, 2013 05:01AM) (new)

Keithasaurus | 6 comments Okay well if there are any Super Librarians around... please do the following task which I was unable to accomplish as a regular librarian.

The page here is a good entry for a great book:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26...

The page here is a duplicate, bad entry for the same book:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/86...

Only Super Librarians can delete the bad entry since it has 5 reviews.

If you're actually a super librarian, I assume you know what you're doing, but here are relevant help pages anyway:
http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/35...
http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/22...

I should mention also that it is my current opinion that the following entry should remain as a separate book from the previous entry:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

I consider "Spiritual Nutrition and the Rainbow Diet" to be dramatically different from "Spiritual Nutrition: Six Foundations for Spiritual Life and the Awakening of Kundalini", even though they have similar titles and are by the same author. One has only 232 pages; the other has over twice that many, at 624.

I hope the changes get made to merge the Rainbow Diet book duplicates, while remaining separate from the Kundalini book (as mentioned above).

Thanks.

Keithasaurus | 6 comments Here is a help page that may be useful to people who are here for the topic of understanding super librarians:
http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/16...

Emy (EmyPT) | 2668 comments @Keithasaurus - better to post this in the "Please delete this book" thread as that's where the Supers & Rivka check most regularly :)

message 47: by Ellie [The Empress] (last edited May 06, 2013 05:10AM) (new)

Ellie [The Empress] (The_Empress) | 2193 comments Keithasaurus wrote: "Okay well if there are any Super Librarians around... please do the following task which I was unable to accomplish as a regular librarian.

The page here is a good entry for a great book:
http..."

Ok I was just fixing it to be a hardcover and adding a non existent edition ISBN with the same date of publishing and someone deleted it.

Anyway this should be posted here:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Melody (runningtune) | 4963 comments done

Keithasaurus | 6 comments Ellie wrote: "Keithasaurus wrote: "Okay well if there are any Super Librarians around... please do the following task which I was unable to accomplish as a regular librarian.

The page here is a good entry fo..."

There is no hardcover for "Spiritual Nutrition and the Rainbow Diet". Please read my previous comment. "Spiritual Nutrition: Six Foundations for Spiritual Life and the Awakening of Kundalini" is a different book.

It appears the issue of the duplicate has been promptly fixed by Emy. Thanks for your effort though.

Keithasaurus | 6 comments Emy wrote: "@Keithasaurus - better to post this in the "Please delete this book" thread as that's where the Supers & Rivka check most regularly :)"

Thank you very much. I was surprised to see someone actually respond and take action so quickly. You just about made my day! :-D

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread