Audiobooks discussion

What's your pick for a great audiobook for a cross-country move?

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Maxwell Davis | 2 comments I am about pack up my belongings, hop in my car with my dog, and move cross country--from NC to NM. I'll be on the road for a long time, and I'm not a person with any fancy satellite radio, so could use some fantastic stories to keep me awake and pass the time.

I'd like some recommendations for absorbing, captivating books, preferably available in audiobook format. I guess I'm partial to books have really rich characterization (the sort of characters you feel like you know or wish you did) and are generally absorbing (either because of plot, writing or both). I realize I've left things pretty wide open, but that's partly intentional, because I'm looking for recommendations of all sorts. What would your audibook pick(s) be for a cross-country move?

Thanks for sharing ideas!

message 2: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1804 comments The Outlander Series by, Diana Gabaldon narrated by, Davina Porter is a great story and great narration and are long books.

Since you like dogs I would also recommend You Had Me at Woof: How Dogs Taught Me the Secrets of Happiness by, Julie Klam narrated by, Karen White very cute book.

If you want something to keep you laughing while your driving I would recommend anything by Celia Rivenbark,or Janet Evanovich

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan Southard (ssouthard) | 9 comments Diana Gabaldon's, The Outlander series.

message 4: by Janice (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 923 comments Cathedral of the Sea is engrossing. It had me rushing off to work every morning and hurrying to get out the door to head home after work so I could listen to it.

message 6: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (ChristineUS) | 10 comments I listened to Roses by Leila Meacham last year. It was long (length-wise) but it was wonderful and I was wrapped up in it. I found myself sorry when the story was over. I'm thinking it was 16 CDs? 17 maybe?

One of my favorite books is The Romanov Prophecyby Steve Berry. I listened to it after reading it several times, and enjoyed the narration. The story moves by quickly and is well-paced...but if you don't like the Anastasia conspiracy theories/Romanov/Russian revolution history, it isn't likely to be your cup of tea.

I listened to Not My Daughter by Barbara Delinsky and found myself getting very into the story. I got emotionally involved and angry - which I don't normally do. The narrator was something special to get me feeling that much for the story.

Of course, if you haven't listened to the Harry Potter series on CD, the narrator is excellent. And they are long as well - will keep you occupied for quite a bit of your drive!

Good luck on that trip! We drove from VA to TX - 95 to 10 -I assume you'll be taking much of the same route. It's definitely helpful to have something to keep your mind busy, lots of empty stretches!

message 7: by MissSusie (last edited Jul 12, 2011 11:26AM) (new)

MissSusie | 1804 comments Susan wrote: "Diana Gabaldon's, The Outlander series."
I guess we posted at the same time!

Heidi (ok you can listen to me) wrote: "The Help, The Book Thief, or Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy."

HaHa I was just coming back to suggest The Help & Bloody Jack LOL so here's second those 2 titles!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1698 comments Susie wrote: "Susan wrote: "Diana Gabaldon's, The Outlander series."
I guess we posted at the same time!

Heidi (ok you can listen to me) wrote: "The Help, The Book Thief, or [bo..."

message 9: by Lupdilup (new)

Lupdilup Duffy | 24 comments Diana Gabaldon's The Outlander Series

message 10: by Lee (last edited Jul 12, 2011 08:59PM) (new)

Lee (lionstone) | 4 comments One of the 1st audio books I listened to was The Prince of Tides. 20 hours or so. Should last you to Odessa or Amarillo, then God help you. (Actually, if you go through Amarillo, take a look out the driver's window about 10 miles west of town to see the "Cadillac Ranch." About a half dozen Cadillacs buried head down into the ground.) I'd also suggest Cormac McCarthy's All the Pretty Horses to get a little Tex-Mex feel. If you're brave, try his Blood Meridian. Since you're moving to New Mexico, maybe look for something by Tony Hillerman. His Jim Chee mysteries are pretty good, and a few of them will get you across the country.

message 11: by Contrarius (new)

Contrarius | 50 comments Nonono. I love Cormac McCarthy myself, but for driving across country you need something cheery and energetic -- NOT soul-sapping and depressing. ;)

What genres do you like to read or listen to? Straight literature? Romance? Fantasy? Mystery? It'll help if you can narrow it down a bit more.

message 12: by Janice (new)

Janice | 172 comments I found books by Wally Lamb, such as I Know This Much Is True or The Hour I First Believed to be very absorbing, and they are fairly long. I also really enjoyed Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks on audio, and The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Maxwell Davis | 2 comments Wow, these are great suggestions! Thanks everyone! When it comes to my preferences, I am always torn between wanting to select something sort of literary or "intelligent" versus giving into my desire for pure escapism in whatever reading form I can find it. Ideally, what I look for is a blend of both, where I can be entertained without feeling like I need to shield the cover of the book from view (although this is no longer an issue on an e-reader!). It doesn't have to be light reading per se, but I have a hard time making it through books that don't grab me. I have to admit to being better at starting books than finishing them.

I've been tempted to chose an atmospheric read that might prepare me for the Southwest (along the lines of Lee's suggestions), but like Contrarius said, I may need something with a bit of an upbeat tone for this drive, especially given how nervous I already am about moving.

All of you have given me so many exciting things to look into, and I really appreciate it! I've been curious about the Outlander series for a little while now, so I will definitely look into that one, but honestly, I want to look into all of the suggestions you all have made.

message 14: by Carol (last edited Jul 13, 2011 06:33AM) (new)

Carol (icicarol) One of my favorite audio books was Lonesome Dove wonderfully narrated by Lee Horsley - full of great characters, set in late 19th century Texas. It would make a great road trip book.

message 15: by Naoise (new)

Naoise Nickolay (FengShuiDiva) | 11 comments The Pillars of the EarthAnna Karenina
I enjoyed the first and have just started the second although I think Janice's choice Cathedral of the Sea is a wonderful listen too!!
Enjoy your journey!!

message 17: by Alice (new)

Alice (TheGoodQueen) | 45 comments We made a cross country trip & all 5 of us were enthralled with Ann Rice's Vampire Chronicles: Interview with a Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, Queen of the Damned.

message 18: by Karen (last edited Jul 13, 2011 12:42PM) (new)

Karen White (KarenWhiteaudiobooknarrator) | 190 comments Thanks, Susie, for recommending You Had Me at Woof: How Dogs Taught Me the Secrets of Happiness - that was one of my favorite reads. Just to add something else in that line, if you're at all interested in "food politics" I also had a blast narrating the memoir Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer by Noelle Carpener. She is hilarious and forthright and has such a unique writing voice.

message 19: by aprilla (new)

aprilla | 232 comments I'd suggest Stephanie Plum (Janet Evanovich), light and easy with some laugh out loud bits but you'll still be able to concentrate on driving :)
It's a series so to get as many as you think you'd need. The first one is One for the Money

Pillars of the Earth is another I would have suggested, Naoise beat me to it! More of a serious read, but you'll live in their world for a while....

message 20: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3652 comments Mod
Speaking of the southwest, even if you don't get to listen until you get there, George Guidall's reading of Tony Hillerman's Chee/Leaphorn mysteries set in Navajo country are classics.

message 21: by Javasapien (new)

Javasapien | 293 comments Have to agree with the Outlander recommendations. Many others mentioned are favorites too, like The Help, Pillars of the Earth, Thirteenth Tale, but Outlander is my absolute favorite cause it's awesome in so many ways.

Another dog lover recommendation that is light hearted and fun is Spencer Quinn's Dog On It. It's not long, but he has two more out which I haven't yet listened to but plan to: Thereby Hangs a Tail, and To Fetch a Thief.

Another recommendation is the Sara Donati's "Into the Wilderness" series. I've read the first three and love them almost as much as the Outlander books. However, I will admit it took me about around 7 hours or so into the first book (which is 30 hours) before I started really enjoying the characters. Then I was hooked and hated for it to be over.

message 22: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 223 comments I'm going to amen the Outlander series, great narrator. I also really enjoyed but it's not for young ears the A Kiss of Shadows Meredith Gentry series and her Guilty Pleasures Anita Blake series. Another good one was Moon Called series and Grave Sight Harper Connelly series. The last two can get a little violent but they're both great.

message 23: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3652 comments Mod
The Harper Connelly series was very well narrated!

message 24: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 223 comments John wrote: "The Harper Connelly series was very well narrated!"

She also did The Lovely Bones and did a wonderful job on that book. Her inflections when she was showing fear and pain, just fantastic.

message 25: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3652 comments Mod
Agreed, Bresnihan's one of my faves. I have her reading of The Age of Innocence on my TBR pile.

message 26: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 223 comments I'd love to hear her in something not contemporary. I'll have to put that on my list too.

message 27: by Kara (new)

message 28: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 370 comments The In Death series by J.D. Robb. The narration is awesome (Susan Erickson is AMAZING), the characters are SO great, and you get to know them really well throughout the series! The heroine is a Lieutenant for the homicide division for the NYPD, and the hero is a guy who made his billions in very sketchy ways... But both of them are deep and complicated and just great.

I do NOT read most mysteries, because of my complete inability to digest their cheese; these books are more crime-suspense/romance. The first few books, I'd say are 75% her solving the case and 25% romance. The later books I'd say are more 85/15 or even 90/10. You DEFINITELY won't fall asleep! ;)

The first book is Naked in Death!

message 29: by Jamie (new)

Jamie  | 7 comments Alan Bradley's Flavia DeLuce series is great, if you like historical mysteries. I enjoy the narrator, but I've noticed that a lot of people don't - it'd be a good idea to check out a sample first.

Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody books are very enjoyable, also. Like the Flavia books, they are humorous historical mysteries.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Outlander (other topics)
You Had Me at Woof: How Dogs Taught Me the Secrets of Happiness (other topics)
Cathedral of the Sea (other topics)
Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy (other topics)
The Book Thief (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Celia Rivenbark (other topics)
Janet Evanovich (other topics)
Geraldine Brooks (other topics)
Wally Lamb (other topics)
Diane Setterfield (other topics)