What will happen next in The Rifter? discussion

Midway--Book Five (WARNING: This thread may contain spoilers!)

Comments (showing 101-134 of 134) (134 new)    post a comment »
1 3 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 101: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments I love all these theories, insights and ideas and I wish I could comment on them directly but some are just too close to perfect for me to say anything without spoiling something. (There are clues to some of your questions in the earlier books and answers to others coming up in the next book.)

You all are so clever and so creative; I'm really impressed! (And taking notes for the next book. heheh)

message 102: by Em-nat (new)

Em-nat | 181 comments Ginn wrote: "There are clues to some of your questions in the earlier books and answers to others coming up in the next book..."

And is the princess also in another castle…? @,@

message 103: by Em-nat (new)

Em-nat | 181 comments Nicole wrote: "I have decided that I shall shall you, "lil' Sleuthy" on account of your exhaustive sleuthing efforts. :)"

I am now going to get that tattooed on the backs of my knuckles. I hope I have enough knuckles (I may need to borrow some of yours).

message 104: by Em-nat (new)

Em-nat | 181 comments Oh! And because I’m in a sharing mood, here’s the newest addition to my ever-growing Rifter Playlist.

Ballade of Puppets: The Ghost Awaits in the World Beyond by Kenji Kawai (“Ghost in the Shell: Innocence” OST)

I’m just imagining the Issusha Oracles wailing away…@,@

message 105: by orannia (last edited Jul 17, 2011 01:12PM) (new)

orannia | 123 comments Em-nat wrote: "I feel another bizarre theory coming on.XD"

Ohhhh. I do like that theory! I really do! And to support your theory... IIRC the only way to kill the Rifter is to put them into Grey Space...and what are the Gates (between Amyra'taye and Nurjima and between Baswar and Nayeshi but HUGE Grey Space). So, what if John turning the key and entering the Grey Space started killing him, the Rifter surfaced and in order to keep him alive threw him, Laurie & Bill back in time? OK, it doesn't explain how the Gate exploded in the first place, but...how do we not know a future John didn't destroy the Gate in an effort to not have what happened happen? And yet by destroying the Gate he set everything in motion? *scratches head* Time travel is soooo confusing...and fun *grin*

@Antonella - you're welcome :)

message 106: by DL (new)

DL (Dlee) But John was in the grey space and didn't die. What if he has found a way to overcome that form of death? You should have seen me with the Time Traveler's Wife. I liked the book But I bet I only "got" half of it!

message 107: by Barb (new)

Barb Gilmour (BarbLikesBooks) Fancy!

message 108: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 216 comments Mod
Em-nat wrote: "Oh! And because I’m in a sharing mood, here’s the newest addition to my ever-growing Rifter Playlist.

Ballade of Puppets: The Ghost Awaits in the World Beyond by Kenji Kawai (“Ghost in the Shel..."

Nice one!

message 109: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments Em-nat wrote: "...And is the princess also in another castle…? @,@"

The closest thing I have to a princess in a castle is a little skeleton in a vast ruin...but yes, she waiting for you to find her.

(By the way I love the music! I remember thinking it was awesome when I saw the film.)

message 110: by Em-nat (new)

Em-nat | 181 comments Barb wrote: ".... Yes! I need a reread! My boss is beginning to wonder why I take the 2nd Weds of every month off! Rifterrrrrrrr Reading day, right?? Already handed my leave form in for next month :-)"

Buahaha, I’m not the only one timing my days off from work based on Rifter release days. Now I don’t feel like such a giant nerd.

Well, still nerdy…BUT NOT ALONE! \o/ Whoo!

message 111: by Em-nat (new)

Em-nat | 181 comments orannia wrote: "... it doesn't explain how the Gate exploded in the first place, but...how do we not know a future John didn't destroy the Gate in an effort to not have what happened happen? And yet by destroying the Gate he set everything in motion? *scratches head* Time travel is soooo confusing...and fun *grin* "

I’m starting to think that the Fai’daum (Original Recipe) had something to do with the Gates shattering. They’re pretty committed to eradicating anything associated with Payshmura power and authority (consider how they were shelling the stronghold of the Issusha’im at the beginning of book 1), and the Gates are definitely the Payshmura priests’ greatest asset.

message 112: by Antonella (new)

Antonella | 125 comments Em-nat wrote: "Barb wrote: ".... Yes! I need a reread! My boss is beginning to wonder why I take the 2nd Weds of every month off! Rifterrrrrrrr Reading day, right?? Already handed my leave form in for next month ..."

Hey, Barb and Em-nat! I think this kind of commitment is a testimony to the greatness of Ginn' work! Not weird at all.

Being my own boss, I just try to work a lot in advance, if I can.

message 113: by orannia (new)

orannia | 123 comments Dlee wrote: "But John was in the grey space and didn't die. What if he has found a way to overcome that form of death? You should have seen me with the Time Traveler's Wife. I liked the book But I bet I only..."

@Dlee - see, I think he would if he was left there. And that what makes me think...that the Kahil is in some way involved in the Rifter's eventual demise. If they are part of the world, can sense the world, then it makes sense that the world itself would not harm them. But the Grey Space isn't Basawar. It is...other.

And getting or not getting a book sometimes bothers me and...sometimes not :) It really depends upon where the author is coming from. If I feel like reading their book is a test of some sort, then I'm not going to enjoy it, and when I don't enjoy something it's far harder to 'get'. In terms of the Rifter, I love that Ginn (and Nicole) is (are) encouraging our mad speculations and that being right isn't a test but simply fun :)

@Em-nat - Original Recipe? LOL! I love it! And yes, it could have been the Original Recipe Fai'daum who shattered the Gates...but I still quite like my wild theory of it being John? No evidence of that of course :) When have I ever relied on evidence for my mad speculations *grin*

message 114: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments orannia wrote: " In terms of the Rifter, I love that Ginn (and Nicole) is (are) encouraging our mad speculations and that being right isn't a test but simply fun :) "

I can't say how much I love all the theories you all come up with. So many of them would work and make brilliant stories-- often I find myself thinking, "Wow, I should have done that;it would have been awesome." Other times I can't believe how fast and far you all predict into the plot.

It all makes the Rifter exciting and new for even me-- and that's really a treat!

message 115: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments Em-nat wrote: "...the Fai’daum (Original Recipe)... "

LOL!

message 116: by orannia (last edited Jul 19, 2011 01:14AM) (new)

orannia | 123 comments Thank you Ginn. I'm too scared to look back at my earlier speculations - I think it would worry me silly :)

And I think the speculations work so well because you've been so good at dropping little hints the whole way through, and while we (I) may not get them straight away, they start to percolate *grin*

message 117: by Barb (new)

Barb Gilmour (BarbLikesBooks) But now I am still thinking of "my" Dayyid.... And wondering if we ever find out any more about him. His treatment of Rav was too awful and Jahn was right to do what he did... But a week on (is it really only 1???) I just think we may hear more... On the bright side - 3 weeks until Rifterrrrrrrr :-D

message 118: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments orannia wrote: "Thank you Ginn. I'm too scared to look back at my earlier speculations - I think it would worry me silly :)

And I think the speculations work so well because you've been so good at dropping little..."

Aww thank you.

message 119: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments Barb wrote: "But now I am still thinking of "my" Dayyid.... And wondering if we ever find out any more about him. His treatment of Rav was too awful and Jahn was right to do what he did... But a week on (is it ..."

Dayyid's influence and absence are felt and noted in the later books... but the one coming up is all about that boat!

message 120: by Em-nat (new)

Em-nat | 181 comments orannia wrote: "Original Recipe? LOL! I love it! And yes, it could have been the Original Recipe Fai'daum who shattered the Gates...but I still quite like my wild theory of it being John? No evidence of that of course :) When have I ever relied on evidence for my mad speculations *grin* "

That’s a bit of a paradox, isn’t it? John shatters the Gates, and this disruption causes the very thing that lead to John , Laurie and Bill falling into Basawar in the first place? That’s some sort of mad time loop paradox! It..actually hurts my brain a little, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I disagree. It’s just crazy enough to work. X.x I need tea and Motrin to think this through.

I suppose this is why the first rule of time-travel is DON’T DO IT. XD

message 121: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments Em-nat wrote: "...That’s some sort of mad time loop paradox! It..actually hurts my brain a little, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I disagree. It’s just crazy enough to work. X.x I need tea and Motrin to think this through.
I suppose this is why the first rule of time-travel is DON’T DO IT. XD ..."

As a rule, I've tried to avoid paradoxes where possible for just those reasons...mostly...

message 122: by orannia (new)

orannia | 123 comments Em-nat wrote: "That’s a bit of a paradox, isn’t it? John shatters the Gates, and this disruption causes the very thing that lead to John , Laurie and Bill falling into Basawar in the first place? That’s some sort of mad time loop paradox! It..actually hurts my brain a little, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I disagree. It’s just crazy enough to work. X.x I need tea and Motrin to think this through."

Well, I guess it is - crazy! LOL! But...I was going to say it's possible, except that I see Ginn has stated that she's trying to avoid paradoxes where possible, so...maybe I'll just chalk this speculation up on the 'Very Unlikely' board *grin* And going back to your theory about the Original Recipe Fai'daum Em-nat...it would make sense. After all, they probably have the numbers, and they have witches to attempt to combat the ushiri...so shattering the Gates would prevent the Rifter from coming through, and that's the priests' Joker (so to speak).

message 123: by Barb (new)

Barb Gilmour (BarbLikesBooks) What boat Ginn? I have forgotten all about a boat..... Oh! The Love Boat ;-P

message 124: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments Barb wrote: "What boat Ginn? I have forgotten all about a boat..... Oh! The Love Boat ;-P"

Indeed! The next two books take place on a cruise liner headed for Fantasy Island! :D

message 125: by Barb (new)

Barb Gilmour (BarbLikesBooks) :-D Fantasy is fantastic!!

message 126: by Barb (new)

Barb Gilmour (BarbLikesBooks) Less than 10 days.. In case anyone is counting ;-)

message 127: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 477 comments Barb wrote: "Less than 10 days.. In case anyone is counting ;-)"

I must be counting because I always get this nervous/excited feeling about eight days befor the next book is released... I know what will help me relax, another quart of black coffee!!!

message 128: by Barb (new)

Barb Gilmour (BarbLikesBooks) make mine a double! I also start to get giddy..but I do love boats :-D

message 129: by whitney (new)

whitney (showmethelove) | 51 comments Barb wrote: "make mine a double! I also start to get giddy..but I do love boats :-D"

A little boat therapy should make us all feel better ;) I hope!!!!

message 130: by Antonella (new)

Antonella | 125 comments Review of Book 6

((no, I didn't read it, I'm not mad!))

http://jenre-wellread.blogspot.com/20...

message 131: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 216 comments Mod
Antonella wrote: "Review of Book 6

((no, I didn't read it, I'm not mad!))

http://jenre-wellread.blogspot.com/20..."

You should not read this, actually, unless you don't care about spoilers for it containeth at least one big one.

message 132: by Antonella (new)

Antonella | 125 comments Thank you for your advice.

I read reviews in advance only if I have to make up my mind about buying a book. If not I feel that even a review without spoilers takes away something of the magic of the book for me.

message 133: by Barb (new)

Barb Gilmour (BarbLikesBooks) I avoidith spoilers like the plague!! Even little snippets ruin the sweet read, for me, of an entire book being new and totally unknown.

message 134: by orannia (new)

orannia | 123 comments Nicole wrote: "You should not read this, actually, unless you don't care about spoilers for it containeth at least one big one."

Thank you for the heads up Nicole :)

1 3 next »

unread topics | mark unread