Children's Books discussion

Themes, Topics & Categories > Horse Books: Fiction or Non-Fiction

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz | 151 comments Could anyone recommend books about horses for the 10-14 year old group and the 5/6 year old group (a board book or a lift the flap book would be great)? My oldest son son loves the Black Stallion series as well as the Misty of Chincoteague series and he's read Black Beauty. I'm looking for another series or a standalone.

Dk publishing seems to have some interesting non-fiction ones about horses. The Encyclopedia of the Horse caught my eye and I was wondering if it was any good. It has good ratings and I've never been disappointed with DK Pub books.

Any recommendations would be appreciated :)

The Encyclopedia of the Horse by Elwyn Hartley Edwards The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2) by Walter Farley Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry Black Beauty (Abridged) by Anna Sewell

message 2: by Manybooks (last edited Jul 08, 2011 04:04AM) (new)

Manybooks | 2986 comments Marguerite Henry (who wrote the Misty series) wrote many horse stories. One of my personal favourites from when I was a child (and it won the Newberry award) is King of the Wind: The Story of the Godolphin Arabian, which is a historical novel about the Godolphin Arabian (one of the alleged founding sires of the English Thoroughbred). Definitely worth checking out (although I think there might be some rather dated, politically incorrect parts, I've not read this since I was about ten, I'll have to reread it). Henry also wrote many other books, I've always wanted to read Justin Morgan Had a Horse and White Stallion of Lipizza.

message 3: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 2986 comments If you can find a copy of this (it's been out of print for ages), Horses is a wonderful, clear and informative book on some of the different horse breeds. I had a copy of this when I was a teenager, and I loved this book, clear, concise, with great colour photographs.

message 4: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz | 151 comments Thanks Gundula :) My guy's read King of the Wind but not the others. I'll check them out :D

message 5: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 2986 comments Eastofoz wrote: "Thanks Gundula :) My guy's read King of the Wind but not the others. I'll check them out :D"

I think Walter Farley has also written a book about the famous American race horse Man o' War Man O'War (it might be interesting for your oldest boy, especially if he liked the Black Stallion series). Another book that I want to read sometime is War Horse, although I think that might be a rather sad story, similar to Black Beauty.

message 6: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 2986 comments Two more classics that I want to read:

My Friend Flicka (this won the 1961 Newbery)

The Silver Brumby (I've read this in German, and loved it, but I've not read it in English, it's about wild horses in Australia, and I think there are also sequels).

message 7: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz | 151 comments He has "Man O War" and he didn't like "My Friend Flicka" --I think that was the only horse themed one he didn't enjoy.

I'll check out The Silver Brumby! Thanks!

message 8: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 2986 comments One picture book (not about horses, but about maple sugaring) that features two simply wonderful horses and might be a great book for your younger boy (although it's a very gentle book, with not much excitement) is Sugaring (I loved both the text and the illustrations and how the grandfather sees his two horses as partners and friends, not as resources to be exploited and used). There are other books featuring this family (grandmother, grandfather and granddaughter) which I have not yet read, although I really want to read them soon, especially No Foal Yet (the title reminds me of when we used to sleep in the barn at night when our horses were about to give birth to their foals, it was/is miraculous).

message 9: by Manybooks (last edited Jul 09, 2011 07:04AM) (new)

Manybooks | 2986 comments Another book for young adults that I personally really enjoyed is Another Kind Of Cowboy by Canadian author Susan Juby. It deals with horseback riding (Alex realises that he would rather ride dressage than Western), but also with dysfunctional family situations, boarding school woes etc. One caveat though, if you have problems with the themes of homosexuality and/or teenage sexuality and drug use, the book does feature these themes (Alex, for instance, realises that he is gay, and there is also speculation that his two dressage male coaches are a couple). I really loved this story, but you might consider reading it first on your own before deciding wether you think it's appropriate reading material for your son. It is definitely a book for young adults, above age twelve or fourteen, in my opinion.

message 10: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz | 151 comments The Sugaring one sounds really good and no Foal Yet sounds quite cute. I don't think he'd be interested in the other one--he really only likes the adventure kind of theme. Thanks again for all these great recs!

message 11: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 2986 comments Eastofoz wrote: "The Sugaring one sounds really good and no Foal Yet sounds quite cute. I don't think he'd be interested in the other one--he really only likes the adventure kind of theme. Thanks again for all the..."

I would consider Another Kind Of Cowboy more as a family story, and it's definitely one for young adults interested in dressage riding (but there certainly is not much of an adventure type of story, more of a typical teenage angst type of tale). Hope you find some suitable books (and check my bookshelves too, I have a whole shelf of "horse stories" some though are in German and Swedish).

message 12: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz | 151 comments Will do!

message 13: by An (new)

An (BANNO8) | 6 comments I am not surprised that a child did not like My Friend Flicka (Mary O'Hara) , though made into a movie (roddy Mcdowell played Ken) and a children's tv series- also a recent movie - it is written for adults and has adult content as r Thunderhead and Green Grass of Wyoming which continue the story.

message 14: by An (new)

An (BANNO8) | 6 comments as a child, i read many books about horses. I especially liked those by cw anderson -- which were beautifully illustrated. they also appeal to different age groups, but r intended for children:
http://www.equitainment.com.au/factsh...

message 15: by An (new)

An (BANNO8) | 6 comments there r other books by marguarite henry -- many beautifully illustrated by wesley dennis. most r for children but some r more mature. u can tell by the # of illustrations
http://www.paperbackswap.com/Margueri...

message 16: by An (new)

An (BANNO8) | 6 comments here is goodread's list
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/13...

these seem more recent.

message 17: by An (new)

An (BANNO8) | 6 comments books i still remember as enjoying r
silver snaffles, pony jungle, lost horse (glenn balch more middle school or high school:
http://balchipedia.wikidot.com/glennb...

message 18: by An (new)

An (BANNO8) | 6 comments walter farley's book the black stallion series being very famous -- more middle school level. also wrote island stallion series.

message 19: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz | 151 comments Thanks for the suggestions :-)

message 20: by Christine (new)

Christine | 36 comments For grades 5-8:

I Am the Great Horse by Katherine Roberts
Blood Red Horse (The de Granville Trilogy, #1) by K.M. Grant Green Jasper (The de Granville Trilogy, #2) by K.M. Grant Blaze of Silver (The de Granville Trilogy, #3) by K.M. Grant
The Outside of a Horse by Ginny Rorby, Belladonna by Mary Finn, Firehorse by Diane Lee Wilson, A Horse of Her Own by Annie Wedekind
Belladonna is new to my library and I haven't gotten any feedback on it. On all the others I have gotten very positive feedback. The Ginny Rorby book has been especially well received. My horse books are especially popular with girls, though. The K. M. Grant books and the Katherine Roberts book are probably the best boy bets.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Misty of Chincoteague (other topics)
The Black Stallion Returns (other topics)
The Encyclopedia of the Horse (other topics)
Justin Morgan Had a Horse (other topics)
White Stallion of Lipizza (other topics)
More...