My Friend Leonard My Friend Leonard discussion

Reading Leonard

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Emily This book seemed to do a good job at showing what it was like to go through not drinking as an alcoholic. As a teacher, the grammar through me off for quite a while. But, I cried a lot. Touching book.

lori mitchell i read this while i working and bawled my eyes out.

Geoff James Frey gets such a bad rap, probably from people who have never read his books. It's hard to think of another author who is so eloquent and insightful who deals with addiction and recovery.

Alyana Ymbong I went teary-eyed while I was reading this book. Especially on the part when Leonard was deteriorating. I've received this book as a christmas present back in 2009.

شذا مطر I enjoyed this book much more than his first one. I guess because he talked more about his friendships and relations with others. This book was more emotional. I had to skip through a lot of pages when I was reading million little pieces coz it was very graphic and vulgar. But, this one was very nice.

message 6: by Nwgal65 (last edited Aug 21, 2011 06:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nwgal65 I was so glad to have a continuation of AMLP. I enjoyed this book. Does anyone recall the names of the authors that both James and his girlfriend liked and were reading when they met? One was Bowles...anyone remember the other one? I would like to add them to my reading list. Thanks!

Julia Geoff wrote: "James Frey gets such a bad rap, probably from people who have never read his books. It's hard to think of another author who is so eloquent and insightful who deals with addiction and recovery."

You're so right. When I tell people about his books or recommend them to friends, they always tell me these ridiculous things about him and frown at me for liking his work. But really it's all just silly and hateful. I found bits of A Million Little Pieces pretty hard to read because it did get quite graphic but My Friend Leonard was so tender! He really loved his friend and he wasn't such a bad guy after all! Neither deserve all the bad publicity they've received.

Joanne I thought AMLP was good, but I hated My Friend Leonard. I thought it was phoney, badly written.

message 9: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb I agree with Geoff that Frey gets such a bad rap, I think his writing is excellent. Very contemporary and easy to relate to. My Friend Leonard was a great windup to AMLP.

Cassie Both of Fray's books are amazing. I think a lot of people would enjoy these books if they would clear their minds of what they have heard as far as the bad rep goes.

message 11: by Mehwish (new)

Mehwish naqvi I havent read this book but I am looking forward to.

Erica i read his books long before all the hype came out. still stood behind them after the hype. hes one of my favorite story tellers to date.

message 13: by Marlene (new)

Marlene i was reading it in my house when i almost started to cry. i had to put the book down for a while before to read again.

Ananya Emily wrote: "This book seemed to do a good job at showing what it was like to go through not drinking as an alcoholic. As a teacher, the grammar through me off for quite a while. But, I cried a lot. Touching book."

Right Emily! The story is a bit shocking too (in terms of revelation) but throughout the book, I couldn't bring myself to hate James even though he was a 'criminal'...

message 15: by Raul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Raul Hart Reading Leonard i remember feeling so bad for leonard because he was like Frey's only friend this book really did depress me on so many levels but Frey is an awesome writer but just needs to learn the difference between the truth and fiction.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

My Friend Leonard (other topics)