Snow Flower and the Secret Fan Snow Flower and the Secret Fan discussion

The Movie

Comments (showing 1-47 of 47) (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Allegra I only just found out that there's a movie coming out July 15th! The movie looks good, but they changed something. Apparently the story begins with a woman writing a book about Snow Flower and Lily. Thoughts? Is anyone else excited?

Michelle Geaney I like the idea! I wonder what changed...thats what makes me apprehensive about film versions but i'm looking forward to it too!

Klymene Klymene is now swearing excessively.
OMGOMG I loved this book so much, I listened to it on though an audio book. I can't believe there is a moving coming out, and I'm SO happy. The trailer makes it seem a little different. The beginning isn't an old lady talking, rather, its a modern day young lady talking about her ancestors.
And Snow Flower and Lily look weird, but still, it looks amazing. I desperately want to know what the mountain will be like!

Maia B. I really hope that the movie is good but I don't think that they should have bothered to add a second storyline of modern-day women. The original story is powerful enough...but this is something I'll definitely be seeing and I am very much looking forward to it!

Beth B I can hardly wait to see the movie! However, I loved the book so much that I am trying not to expect too much from the movie. I usually like the book more than the movie version and I don't want to be disappointed.

Beth B I didn't realize only select movie theaters were showing the movie. None are near me :(

Does anyone know when the movie is opening everywhere?

Karen I am so disappointed as well that it is not playing near me. Wonder why it is in such a limited release?

Trudy Me too! I loved this book and was so excited about seeing the movie, but I can't find it anywhere. Bummer!

message 9: by Trudy (last edited Jul 24, 2011 09:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trudy Well, I saw the movie today. This was a 5 star book and a 3 star movie. (Maybe even 2 stars for the movie.)The book was so rich. The movie was rather shallow. I can't imagine why Lisa See would approve. I traveled to Philadelphia, paid a crazy amount to park my car, and left the theatre feeling cheated.

Alyssa Is this movie in theaters?
i'm not finding it!!!

Lee Ann I am not sure excited is the right word. I loved this book, but don't think it will translate well into a movie. I won't go to the theatre to see it, but I may watch it when it leaves the theatres and comes to cable or video. I like Lisa See's writing and enjoy reading most of her books.

Lindsey I absolutely loved this novel! When I found out it was becoming a film I was super psyched! I still am. I really like the idea of an older woman telling the story of Snow Flower and Lilly. Ancestry is very important in Asia, so it will be a plesant touch to the film.

message 13: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth B I finally found a movie theater showing the movie and went to see it. I didn't have high expectations so I wasn't too disappointed. I'm glad I went just because I was very curious. Having seen it, I can say that I wish I would have waited for video or cable. I'm not a fan of movies with subtitles. This movie bounces back and forth between English and subtitles. There were some touching scenes but overall the movie didn't come close to being as good as I thought it could have been.

تذكار I saw the trailer. I felt SO excited about it, can't wait. :)

Cjandres Alyssa wrote: "Is this movie in theaters?
i'm not finding it!!!"

I read the book a long time ago. It was amazing. The words were so vivid and the emotions of the characters also. I'm on the fence about how the movie will be. I'm interested in seeing the movie but I'm not sure if it will do the book justice.

message 16: by Sarah (last edited Aug 27, 2011 01:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah This is one of the best books I've ever read and I have no interest whatsoever in seeing the movie. Based off of what I noticed from the trailer, it looks like it's loosely based off the book. The message in the book hit me to the very core. I'm afraid that, like with most other movie adaptations, the whole point of the book itself is ignored. I hold this book near and dear to my heart and refuse to spoil it by seeing the movie.

***I just looked at the reviews for it on Rotten Tomatoes. For those of us who are purists, I don't think we have anything to worry about. The movie got HORRIBLE reviews.

Aleks Veselovsky Oh, too bad, I just finished the book and just watched the trailer and I like the connection to modern world, the trailer looks really good!

Veronica The book is perfection...a movie couldn't do it justice.

Yuliya DVD are already available! so, check you local DVD renting place for this movie! I will!

Cleiton I liked so much of movie.

Klymene So, everyone, it's in Redbox now, so go get the movie.

The movie good enough. But having read the book, the movie could never live up to the amazing ness of the book. There were two stories, the one from the book, and the one of Snow Flower's descendent in modern times. They were essentially unrelated. It was very, very disappointing. The stories themselves were amazing. But together, they were completely uncorrelated. Lily and Snow Flower's Childhoods were glossed over, as in, they covered the times from the foot binding til The wedding in, approximately 10-15 minutes. Not nearly enough time.

Just a warning... they do speak a decent amount of Chinese, so turn on those English subtitles

L.  (I've Stopped Counting) I just finished the book and I don't recall seeing Hugh Jackman mentioned anywhere in it :)
So how did he doing in the movie?

Klymene Oh, he's the boyfriend for the girl in a coma, right?

message 24: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy So nice to read others loved the book. I couldn't get my book club interested in reading it and I was very dissapointed in them! I'm sure I'll see the movie but I appreciate the warning.

message 25: by Tami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tami Hillman I loved the book! The foot binding details were hard to read about. I had no idea.

Monica This book is in my top five in my all time favorite list. I wept at the ending but I have heard the movie doesn't do it justice which seems to be the norm in the way hollywood adapt books into movies

message 27: by Joan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joan Toth the book was soooo good and the movie was terrible. they left out alot and the story just didn't flow well.

Michelle Geaney I don't know what copy i picked up of the film, but no way could i get subtitles! I was using my memory to follow most of it and i didn't even watch the end. I'll pick it up again, with subtitles but I wasn't really impressed either!

message 29: by Julie (last edited Jan 21, 2012 01:43AM) (new)

Julie I never finished the book; it just didn't hold my attention. I don't like overly-descriptive writing.

What I liked about the film was the modern-day story because it included a gallery show called 'Never Bind.' I thought it was great that modern Chinese women could show their outrage at the old custom of foot-binding. Ironically, the two main characters wore high heel shoes, which also cripple one's feet!

The two main actresses play in both parts of the film. I didn't realize at first because they look so different in each segment.

Hugh Jackman was miscast as Sophia's boyfriend. I think they cast him just so he could sing in one scene!

I think the two stories connected well. The main theme was lifelong friendship, which was explored pretty well. I would have liked to know more about Sophia's life in the contemporary story though.

I thought the two actresses were very good and the story was compelling. It was interesting to see contemporary Shanghai, as well.

Avalon I like movies that reflect the true nature of the book. If it can't be done well...then don't do it. I thought the author's description of the heinous act of foot-binding to be eye-opening and educational. I will pay attention to the reviews and not see the movie.

B.evil The movie was pretty terrible. It didn't capture any of the essence of the book. I cried so much at the end of the book but couldn't have cared less about any of the movie. Total two thumbs down.

message 32: by suzi (new) - rated it 4 stars

suzi just watched the movie last night ... horribly disappointing. for whatever reason, the director chose to create a present-day storyline mirroring the original story and in doing so, totally lost the rich history of the lives of lily and snowflower. the contemporary storyline, created only for the movie, became the main focus, leaving very little time to tell the far more enchanting original story. i am stunned that anyone would have the ego to alter an original work in this way, and when hugh jackman entered as a lounge singer, it just became ridiculous. such a shame, because the book was so beautifully and sensitively written, and certainly did not need the director's unsuccessful enhancement.

the final disappointment was when the movie inaccurately depicted snow flower as having purposely deceived lily. in the book, it is lily's own misunderstanding of the meaning of snow flower's words, her stubborn allegiance to tradition and men's rules, and her own broken faith in their laotong, that reveals to her why, regardless of her wealth and social standing, she was not the stronger of the two women. it is lily's ignorance that caused snow flower to suffer, and this is the regret that lily must live with. i felt that the producer missed this very important message. bummer.

Suzie Just saw the movie this weekend. Keeping an open mind, I didnt think it was bad. However, I tried very hard to keep the book separate from the movie; they're very different mediums, and if I'd compared the movie to the book, I wouldnt have liked it very much. As a separate story, however, the movie offers a more contemporary view, while still mirroring the traditional story. Def. not as moving as the book, but not horrible.

message 34: by suzi (new) - rated it 4 stars

suzi i agree with you, suzie, that had i not read the book, the movie would have been more appealing ... my disappointment was in my expectation that the movie, with the same title and cover art, would be true to the original story. i think it lost quite a bit of meaning in the retelling.

message 35: by Margie (last edited Feb 26, 2012 05:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Margie Allegra wrote: "I only just found out that there's a movie coming out July 15th! The movie looks good, but they changed something. Apparently the story begins with a woman writing a book about Snow Flower and Lily..."

I honestly did not care for the movie at all. Maybe I was spoiled by the book-which was excellent, but to me, the movie was flat. I was expecting much more.

Lauren I started watching the movie and was bored to tears. Maybe it's because I really dislike books where there's both a past and present story and this was the movie version of that. I just felt like, pick either a modern story or a historical story. Don't use both in one film. But that's just my opinion.

MaryJane Rings So happy to hear that. I enjoyed the book very much. It was my first experience reading the stringent customs and challenges for women in 18th century China.

Alanood Burhaima The movie was horrible. Just stick to the book.

MaryJane Rings Alanood wrote: "The movie was horrible. Just stick to the book."

That's sad. It was a great book.

Terri Miles This is one of the times when I definately liked the book better than the movie.

message 41: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Schneider I think the book is Lily writing, isn't it. What worries me is that they will warp the tender feelings these two girls/women had for each other.

Terri Miles I bought the movie, took a chance. It was a good movie, just wasn't better than the book.

Hayes It was a very good movie! I loved that it was the story of 2 friendships being told. However I did like the book better.

message 44: by Sahibah (last edited Mar 08, 2013 03:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sahibah Ali I also saw the movie, but i think i imagined it better. It wasn't that good

message 45: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa I liked the book a lot. The movie was not very good.

Karen Loved this book so much, that I couldn't wait for the movie! The movie I felt was terrible, such a disappointment.....:(

Margaret I never knew there was a movie. It's been awhile since I read the book, but referring to the first comment made before the movie came out, as I recall the book did start as a "look back".

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (other topics)