FABClub (Female Authors Book Club) discussion

Articles > Nine, just 9, books by female authors at the top of a 20th century list?

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Janel (janel10) | 19 comments Have you read any of the nine? Is this list put together by men? Maybe I should try to do that next year.

Stephanie (seffietay) | 342 comments Mod
I haven't read ANY of the 9 books, and that is pretty sad.

15. Virginia Woolf’s To the lighthouse
17. Carson McCullers’ The heart is a lonely hunter
58. Edith Wharton’s The age of innocence
61. Willa Cather’s Death comes for the archbishop
69. Edith Wharton’s The house of mirth
76. Muriel Spark’s The prime of Miss Jean Brodie
84. Elizabeth Bowen’s The death of the heart
94. Jean Rhys’ The wide Sargasso Sea
95. Iris Murdoch’s Under the net

It looks like the list is put together by a "board", which I would guess is predominately male. I find it surprising that they didn't even include Harper Lee! If you look here they show the Board's choices side by side with the Rader's choices, which include Harper Lee and Toni Morrison, but is still pretty heavily male. Innnneresting.

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 298 comments Mod
I read The Heart is a Lonely Hunter many years ago. I remember being deeply touched by it. You know it might make sense to read some of these sometime as well! The process of compiling the 100 best books written by women would sure be fun.

Alyssa (alyssa_green) | 2 comments i recently tried to the lighthouse, and quickly gave up. maybe it just wasn't the right time for me to read it? i just couldn't get involved!

Alyssa, I felt the same about Orlando. Sometimes you aren't ready for a book yet :)

We should read some of these titles!

I'm definitely afraid of Virgina Woolf!

Alyssa (alyssa_green) | 2 comments i am totally into reading some of these titles. has decembers book been picked yet? i am stoked i can participate virtually.

message 9: by Janel (last edited Dec 02, 2011 12:29PM) (new)

Janel (janel10) | 19 comments I do now remember reading 'The Heart is a Lonely Hunter', but I won't tell how many years ago. I bet if I read it again it would be just like brand new!

Maybe we should all look at the list and vote on one to read. It's about time I got off the sci-fi/fantasy trip I've been on. They are fun though.

Yeah Alyssa we are going to read The Highest Frontier for Dec/Jan. I think it's a great idea to vote on one of the books above to be the selection we read next!

Also Yay participating virtually!! I'm going to missss youuuuu

Janel, I am totally not ready to got off of my sci-fi/fantasy trip! But I love the idea of intermingling some lighter stuff with some of the classics. So, yes, let's pick one of these for next. I would be willing to read any of them.

unread topics | mark unread