Sons of Avalon discussion

Off Topic > What is your favorite book to movie?

Comments (showing 1-31 of 31) (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dee Marie (Dee_Marie) | 194 comments Mod
What is your favorite movie that was based on a novel?

One of my favorites was "Gone With The Wind."

I also liked "Dances With Wolves"

Nick C | 11 comments Had to jump in real quick on this one...
"The Godfather" (based on Mario Puzo's novel) My all-time favorite movie :)
Hope everyone is doing well!
Nick

Hey Nick,

Oh, I love the series of movies too, although I have never read the books. Were they as violent as the movies? Did the movie follow the novel's storyline?

Dee Marie
scooting back to work, to finish my article for you :]

Nick C | 11 comments Actually, I never read those, either. But, Coppola worked closely with Mario on the screenplays from what I recall (I have to rewatch the behind-the-scenes disc in the special edition trilogy box I got a few years back).

It's just such an amazing cast, and I have probably watched the first film over 50 times by now :) The second was great too, but the third was just plain rubbish, in my opinion.

My favorite quote from the first film: "Leave the gun...take the cannoli." :)

Hey Nick,

I like that quote too :]

Has anyone read the novel, "The Prestige," or watched the movie?

I bought the book the day after I watched the movie. I loved the movie, and was intrigued by the book.

Dee Marie

Sandra (SndCastie) | 9 comments My all time favorite is Lord of The Rings.

I haven't read the book saw the movie Prestige though my husband bought it LOL

Sandra (SndCastie) | 9 comments I too loved the Godfather movies never read the books and I couldn't watch the movie Gone With the Wind after reading the book. You should watch the movie first then read the book :O)

Hi Sandy,

I too loved the LOTR books and movies. Did you know that they are making the Hobbit? It is slatted for release in 2011.

I agree with you about watching a movie before reading the book. I always like to read the book after watching the movie, just to fill in all the missing details.

I just finished Twilight and I know I am going to be a wee bit disappointed in the movie. Only because I already have the characters mapped out in my imagination.

Dee Marie

message 10: by Dee (last edited Sep 29, 2008 08:37AM) (new)

How about some of the classics?

One of my favorites was Wuthering Heights. My favorite movie version of the book was the 1939 classic, with: Merle Oberon, David Niven, and Laurence Olivier.

I really enjoyed the 1939 version, but it did not tell the complete story. Leaving out vital plot parts of the ending.

The book on the other hand was amazing, and I have read it cover-to-cover several times. It gets better with each read!

I just noticed the 1992 version. I hope my local Blockbuster has the DVD in stock. According to the online blurb, the movie stays true to the plot.

Has anyone seen the 1992 movie with Ralph Fiennes?

Dee Marie

Last night I rented the 1992 version of Wuthering Heights. It was very well done and included the second half of the novel (the chapters that dealt with the younger Catherine). Ralph Fiennes was the perfect Heathcliff.

My only complaint with this movie adaptation was that the storyline skimmed over the characters, as if it were an outline of the book. I want to see a version that's "meaty."

Also, I find it rather amusing that my recent obsession with the Twilight series, prompted me to revisit Wuthering Heights. (For those who are Twilight loop-less; two of the main characters are reading (and reference) Wuthering Heights).

Dee Marie

message 12: by Dee (last edited Dec 26, 2008 04:19AM) (new)

I just saw Twlight for the second time, and will be seeing it for a third time tomorrow.

I loved the book.

The first time I saw the movie I liked it.

The second time I saw the movie I am inclining to think that I like it A LOT!

Just finished writing a review for the movie for Renderosity, and will be posting the link as soon as it is published.

http://www.renderosity.com/news.php?v...

Oh, and I LOVE the soundtrack, been listening to the CD all night. It really grows on you. I think it will replace Maroon 5 as my new "Happy Place" music.

Has anyone else seen the movie?
Dee Marie

message 13: by Jade (last edited Dec 24, 2008 11:00AM) (new)

Jade Tyler Ha Ha Dee, I guess you were wrong about how you thought the movie Twilight would be!!

By far, mine is Twilight!!!

The Harry Potters were ok though!

Hey Jade,

I sheepishly admit that I have seen Twilight five times. The last time was the day after I had read the book for the second time.

I still love the chemistry between the two leads, but after "just" re-reading the book, I really missed some of the important elements in the book. Like the prom scene (which the movie really mucked-up) and the part where James tells Bella about Alice's history.

Plus, I cannot live without the soundtrack. My earbuds have been attached from the soundtrack to my head like an umbilical cord. The only time the CD is not playing is when I am sleeping. I even downloaded the iTune album, because it has Rob Pattinson’s second song on the track. Geez, I am hopelessly obsessed.

After the last viewing of the film, I re-wrote my original movie review (which did change, slightly). The new review is featured on Goth Blend (which is owned by Lillian, waves hi to Lillian)

http://www.gothicblend.net/index.php?...

I love the Harry Potter movies too :]
Dee Marie

Jade Tyler WOW!! You ARE oblessed!!!

Jade Tyler It's ok, I haven't seen it five times either, only once, can't afford the tickets.......

Yippers, I am Pa_thet_ic...I think I have been having Twilight withdrawals for the past week. I am lucky I live in a small town, tickets are dirt cheap, especially the early shows.

And, I had two girlfriends who were more obsessed then me, so it was always a fun "girls afternoon out."

I can hardly wait for the DVD, it is suppose to be a double DVD with tons of bonus extras. Last I heard, it was to be released on Feb. 14. The perfect release day :]

Jade Tyler OMG Dee, that IS the perfect release day, I couldn't think or any other day that would be better!!!

Just found out that the release date was moved back to March 21, I am so disappointed :[

You can pre-order the 2 DVD set on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001...

DVD features:

Audio commentary by Catherine Hardwicke, Kristen Stewart, and Robert Pattinson
Muse music video: "Super Massive Black Hole"
Paramore music video: "Decode"
Linkin Park music video: "Leave Out All the Rest"
Five extended scenes with director introductions
Five deleted scenes with director introductions
Seven-part documentary: "The Adventure Begins: The Journey from Page to Screen"
Comic-Con "fandom" piece
Comic-Con NY sizzle reel

Michael (MichaelJSullivan) | 7 comments Shawshank Redemption. Technically it is a novella, but it is one of King's best works faithfully brought to the screen.

That was one where the movie outdid the story. Very hard to watch in some parts, but outstanding screenwriting. Have you thought of who you would want to be cast in a movie of the Crown Conspiracy?

Jade Tyler thanks for the preorder link

You are most welcome Jade :]

message 24: by Paul (last edited Feb 14, 2009 02:34PM) (new)

Paul I find that if I read the book first, then watch the movie, I am disappointed in the movie - partly because the director's visualization does not match mine. I prefer my scenes.

However, if I watch the movie first, then I am forever locked into the director's imaginative take on the book - when reading the book I will see the director's scenes, the actors playing the characters - it's rather limiting.

Having said that, there were some movies which were as good as the books.
LOTR - Jackson
Godfather 1 and 2 (Coppola) - I agree that 3 was poor
Gorky Park (Apted)

There are some films based on short stories that are better than the stories:
Blade Runner (Ridley Scott)
2001 (Kubrick)

And then there are films that start out as scripts and have novelizations done afterwards - The Alien trilogy springs to mind. And 2001 of course.

2001 was amazing. Especially Hal :]

I personally think that LOTR was the best film adaptation from a book…Ever!
Jackson is a deity! He would be my dream director when they make the movie version of SOA (from Paul’s script of course).

I “Love” Al Pacino, he is a true actor, rather than merely a movie star. I detest gratuitous violence in movies, but I have watched every movie Pacino has been featured in. Scarface was even more violent than Godfather. Whoops, sorry I digress. But, but, its Pacino ;]

Blade Runner is a feast for the eyes!

Paul Oh yes, my good friend Peter Jackson. I gave him a ring and told him about SOA and he's very excited by the idea!

(Sorry, I occasionally daydream about having to dodge phone calls from Tarrentino, Ridley Scott, Spielberg and Jackson - they keep pestering me for new scripts. I just can't keep up with their demands :])

I liked the ideas on one of these threads about the book trailer - strobing images of hollowed-out trees, blood on grass, a hawk, a raven (perhaps Lot's emblem?), a skull, more blood, Black Sabbath soundtrack - I do actually know Bill Ward - and then switching to lyrical, lingering shots of Stonehenge, a funeral procession, Snowdon, Avalon; accompanied by some Celtic soundtrack - Clannad or your fave, whose name escapes me.

But are we now edging towards a full blown adaptation? I don't mind in the slightest, but it'll be a while before I could start on that project; and I have to warn you, I have never adapted a book before, so we might have some teething troubles.

Actually for the now and now...I just really need a book trailer...Between 1 minute to a max of 4 minutes.

I trust you...

Paul OK, max 4 minutes, three act structure, Act one brief and full of shocking (ish) images, Act two partly lyrical, with some battle scenes in the middle of it, Act three ramp up the tension again for the climax.

Something along those lines...

Yippers that would grab an audience. The main thing is that I want it to have the look of a movie trailer rather than a book trailer.

I do not want it to just be a cover of the book with words and music...which I know is not what you have in mind :]

I like your ideas for music.

Have you ever heard of King Nothing? They are a UK band...I really like their song...Sons of Avalon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn1-wV...

Lillian also has some great band ideas...

Paul I'll have a listen to them in a bit. First I have football to watch (sorry, that's soccer to you :]) and a supper to cook. Back later.

Go Arsenals ;]

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Twilight (other topics)
Wuthering Heights (other topics)
Gone with the Wind (other topics)