The Last Song The Last Song discussion

Miley vs. Ronnie

Comments (showing 1-41 of 41) (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jordan I think that Miley was a perfect Ronnie. Your thoughts?

Juliet I hate her....we appear to have very different opinions Jordan, that is if you are the same Jordan who loves Edward and Rob Pattinson, if not, sorry!

message 3: by Kristen (last edited Jul 02, 2011 08:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristen I agree with Juliet. Miley is a terrible actress. Although, sadly, one of the better actors in this movie.

It's hard to make a very accurate comparison of Miley/Ronnie since the movie was almost nothing like the book...it's hard to tell if it was her portrayal of Ronnie or the screenplay of her was what ruined it.

I had hope going in, since I didn't like Ronnie in the beginning of the book. But she never grows as a person and redeems herself in the movie like she does in the book, so I still didn't like her by the end.

Kassandra I think Miley did a good job on potraying Ronnie.

Jordan Yes Juliet we do have different opinions. But i know one thing that we have in common... i love HP $ PJ!

Kate Jordan wrote: "I think that Miley was a perfect Ronnie. Your thoughts?"

She SHOULD be the perfect Ronnie considering that the Cyrus family approached Nicholas Sparks to write the book/movie so that it could do for Miley's career what A Walk to Remember did for Mandy Moore's career.

I mean, Miley even got to name the character she played.

You'd expect Miley to be perfectly at the character.

Personally I wasn't as impressed with her in the role as I was expecting to be.

But she didn't do a bad job. I think my expectations were just too high.

Jordan yeah it doesnt help if ur expectations are high. but thats some interesting facts i didnt know that!

Michael Jenkins I think she was pretty terrible,they should have got another actress.

Crystalmarie I loved having Miley as Ronnie, to me she fit the spot right on.
I've never been a huge fan of Mileys but every since this movie, i have kind of grown a little attached.

Juliet Jordan wrote: "Yes Juliet we do have different opinions. But i know one thing that we have in common... i love HP $ PJ!"

same!!!!!!!!!!!

Jordan LOL i could read their books OVER AND OVER again!

Tessa I think that her "look" was fit perfectly for Ronnie, but in all honesty, her acting skills are horrible. Whenever she looked up from the piano and seen that Steve had died? Horrible. When she pushed Will out of her life? Horrible. Ugh, it really aggravated me.

Juliet Tessa wrote: "I think that her "look" was fit perfectly for Ronnie, but in all honesty, her acting skills are horrible. Whenever she looked up from the piano and seen that Steve had died? Horrible. When she push..."

I agree

Mahmood Melebari I could read the books million timse ,, but no way i can watch the movie for another 5 min

Tedra Miley ruined the movie for me. She just didn't seem to fit the role of who I envisioned as Ronnie as I read.

Darlene I think how she looks was a great portrayal of Ronnie (though it bothered me how they didn't bother to add a purple streak in her hair), but her acting was bad. Like bad. And referring to the post above (Kayla's), technically Nicholas didn't pick her for the role. Miley asked him if he had any story "lying around" and he replied no. He practically wrote the role of Ronnie for her, because she asked him if he had any projects available.

BrighterThanTheSun Baahh! I personally think that Miley played okay-ish in the role of Ronnie. Even thought the book was the least bit like the movie.
I mean, Miley had the perfect look for Ronnie but not her character. I mean we're all so used to see her in Hannah Montana joking around that when you watch The Last Song, your expectations lower about Miley's acting skills

Florianne I not a big fan of hers, but I understand she is just trying to grow up, so I can't hate her for that, I just didn't like the way she went about. Anyway back to the topic, as Kayla said Nicholas Sparks picked Miley for the role, actually he made the story for her, so without Miley asking him to make a book, she can star, there would be no book. So discarding my personal opinion of her celebrity life, I actually enjoyed the movie, just not as much as the book.

message 19: by Air (new) - rated it 4 stars

Air Was it really her acting or was it the writting or directing. You can have a good actor but if the writting is bad or the director isn't getting the plot lines right it can totally look bad for the actor.
I haven't seent the movie yet, but have been meaning to. So should I still see it or will I be too disappointed?

Nicole Miley was a really really good Ronnie! I love her as Ronnie!!!

message 21: by Narnian525♥♪ (new)

Narnian525♥♪ I loved her in this one. In hannah montana, her acting was a little off.

Natasha Marie As probably a younger person to comment on this, think that Miley did a great job being the part of Ronnie. She, in my opinion, was a terrible actor when it came to the T.v show Hannah Montana. Also, not the best singer ever, but for this in particular yes, I loved that they chose Miley for Ronnie.

message 23: by Narnian525♥♪ (new)

Narnian525♥♪ I think The Last Song was better for Miley. It's a great story. more mature than Hannah Montana

Natasha Marie animaldisneyreaderfan4lyfe7 wrote: "I think The Last Song was better for Miley. It's a great story. more mature than Hannah Montana"

Yes, more then agreed!

message 25: by Narnian525♥♪ (new)

Narnian525♥♪ Hannah Montana is just for 4 year olds Lol

Natasha Marie Hahaha Right?! :)

Brandie I think miley was a bad choice she doesnt look like ronnie at all I like ronnie wayy better. I also think that the movie discrases nickoles sparks writeing scills

message 28: by Rose (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rose Ronnie. I think she played her character really well.(: good for her age. Not too mature, but not too immature. I.E. Hannah Montana..?

message 29: by Kira (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kira I think Miley was a perfect Ronnie when it comes to looks, but her acting is so bad it was tough to watch the movie. If she wasn't so cheesy, it might not have been so bad, but she definitely needs to go to acting 101!

message 30: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan Miley Cyrus did seem to look like the perfect Ronnie but I am unsure about how she acted. It wasn't the bad nor good but it didn't per se live up to my expectations presented in the book.

message 31: by Asa (new) - added it

Asa I guess so yeah, I mean I was never really a fan of Miley Cyrus' acting and when I heard she was in this movie I didn't want to see it, and then I did...and fell in love. But I think it was Liam Hensworth that worked on me with his acting not Miley lol :)

message 32: by Gautam.m (new)

Gautam.m Miley Cyrus ruined a good story and a movie that would have been well rated and received. She has a terrible voice, no neck, and in being "rebellious" it seemed she was doing a Michelle Rodriguez.
Good story from Nicholas but Miley destroyed the Movie.

Kristen Gautam.m wrote: "Miley Cyrus ruined a good story and a movie that would have been well rated and received. She has a terrible voice, no neck, and in being "rebellious" it seemed she was doing a Michelle Rodriguez...."

Well, to be fair, I think the writers ruined the movie pretty thoroughly. Miley was just one more bad decision.

message 34: by Gautam.m (new)

Gautam.m I feel very sorry about writing a comments as I did but then the Truth is the truth. I also read somewhere on the net that the Cyrus family had met up with Nicholas and asked to write a story just to heighten up Miley's "Career". That speaks a lot on the writer and writers, and the "business" of it all. Nicholas Sparks stories are generally quite nice, but this one got ruined by external elements. You are right about this Bad decision, but most people don't see a bad decision coming.

Marci I think she really bit off more than she could chew. What experience did she have before this? Hannah Montana: a show where all she had to do was being a teenager with relatively no problems. Maybe the potential was there, but I don't think she was ready.

message 36: by Gautam.m (new)

Gautam.m Thank You for a similar point of view. Don't know about Hannah Montana, but I know Billy Cyrus is a well known country singer. Being a musician myself, I felt Miley was not doing very much or she was just taking it all for granted. It does not work that way, she should have known better. The Soundtrack for "Safe Haven was excellent comparatively; and Julianne Hough - who is a country singer too - did not have her song in the OST. That is how one needs to respect work. Miley was either putting up too much or the Director was putting the pressures on her regarding the acting bit. Miley, I guess, wasn't herself in the movie and so one can see the stress on her acting. She tried, maybe she will improve in future.

Shannon In my point of view Miley made a totally different Ronnie. I prefer the book version of the character. I never thought Miley was a great actress anyway

Melanie I definitely prefer the book version of Ronnie. Miley sucked!

message 39: by Abby (last edited Aug 14, 2013 02:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abby I thought Miley was the perfect Ronnie, too! I'm probably influenced that way because I saw the movie first and then read that Nicholas Sparks wrote the screenplay FIRST, with Miley in mind, and then wrote the novel. So when I read the book I just automatically thought of Miley and Liam Hemsworth.

Some of her acting was horrid, I'll admit. She definitely could've used more experience and coaching before taking on a dramatic/romantic role. But I haven't seen the movie in a while, so I don't really remember. I remember just a few really horrible line deliveries.

Shannon I'm surprised by the number of people that actually liked Miley as Ronnie LOL but I respect them, though ^^

Sarah I say that it is not a fair question. The screenplay was written first and specifically for her.

I read the book first and I absolutely loved it! I could see Miley in the role of Ronnie. I waited a year or more before seeing the movie.

I was, as always, disappointed by the movie. My disappointment in the movie was so overwhelming that Miley's performance was not the worst part of the film. I think she could have done better, but I think the film, when compared to the book, didn't give her a lot to work with.

I really wanted to see the character of the priest portrayed in the movie. He was such an important character in the book, that I couldn't believe he was dropped in the movie.

I think I'll just stick to my ban on movies where I read the book. It's less disappointing.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Last Song (other topics)