THE JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB discussion

AUTHORS WHO DESERVE MORE RECOGNITION-AUTHORS WHO OVER OVERHYPED??

Comments (showing 101-150 of 295) (295 new)    post a comment »

message 101: by Rick (new)

Rick F. | 12747 comments Mod
Sean wrote: "Just wanted to let all the members of James Madison know that today is the Best Seller for a Day promotion. You can get 5 books on Kindle from 5 different authors for 99 cents each.
Go to http://bi..."

thanks Sean!!
first for letting us know about the sale on Kindle
and second for promoting James Mason to former President of the US and Founding Father (Madison) LOL just kidding!

Carly (WildCityWoman) | 76 comments I think a lot of these authors merely have more money to throw out for public relations.

I remember a book that was set in a theme of snow ... can't think of the title right now. This came out back in the early 90's ... a full poster could be seen over the tracks in every subway station in Toronto.

I got the book in - and it was a good book. I remember reading it a couple of times. But there have been other good books - even better than that. They did not get the attention this book got. Why? Well, you didn't see much promotion on them.

Harry Potter got off so successfully because his author was out there, in your face every minute of your waking hours.

You couldn't turn on the radio without hearing about it ... I remember being a member of a site called Novel Advice. The site's owner, who was the moderator-leader came in with a post once telling writers that Rawlings was out there at every opportunity, manning (womaning?) tables at public functions, her book right there - here it is - step right up ladies and gentlemen.

And that, the illustrious leader told us, is EXACTLY what you need to be doing.

Or ... pay somebody - maybe get your mother/brother/sister/best friend to do it for you, while you write.

Carly (WildCityWoman) | 76 comments One can make him/herself famous at any time ... just get your name out there.

CARLY SVAMVOUR, Goodreads top member! Click here to read her!

(Who the hale is Carly Svamvour, anyway?)

Actually, she's nobody - she's just me, clickin' my keys, blatherin' away.

But if I wanted to, I could make her a household name in the space of 24 hours.

How many times have I followed links to people, just because their names are 'out there'.

That's how Harry Potter got off the ground. They're good stories - kids love 'im, and adults love 'im. But there's books out there that are just as good and better.

They just need more promotion.

message 104: by Rick (new)

Carly wrote: "I think a lot of these authors merely have more money to throw out for public relations.

I remember a book that was set in a theme of snow ... can't think of the title right now. This came out b..."

was it Snow Falling on Cedars? Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson

agree 100% about budget and publicity- thats why on James Mason- ALL writers are equal
and great that readers and writers can interact

message 105: by Gatorman (last edited Aug 23, 2011 09:47AM) (new)

Gatorman | 629 comments One author that deserves more recognition is John Connolly. His Parker series is nothing short of brilliant.

As for overhyped, look no further than Dan Brown, James Patterson and John Grisham.

Gerald Griffin (authorGeraldGGriffin) | 38 comments I feel Shane Porteous deserves more recognition. His dark fantasy novel RASCISS is the reason. It is a fantastic book with fabulous writing! Compelling to the end with intrique, action and a great story line.

Bridget R. I don't know if it's underrated, but I love Patrick Rothfuss. His Kingskiller books are amazing. The Name of the Wind is a great fantasy novel.

Overrated...I'd say most YA paranormal romance isn't that good. There's some good books out there, but they seem to get pushed under by the muck, books like Halo, Hush, Hush, etc.

Alexander Draganov (DarthSparhawk) | 15 comments In my opinion Simon R. Green deserves more recognition. A great author with great ideas. I think that George R. R. Martin is over-hyped. He is kind of boring to me.

Elaine Campbell (goodreadscomnickthegreek11) | 52 comments Alistair MacLeod should have won the Nobel Prize a long time ago.

David Lentz (WordsworthGreenwich) Please, give a Nobel Prize for Literature to Thomas Pynchon for the body of his literary achievement. Please give a Certificate of Merit for Overachievement to the literary agents of Philip Roth and Joyce Carol Oates, whose unworthy, bleak and hopeless tomes have won no end of literary acclaim.

message 111: by Rick (new)

David wrote: "Please, give a Nobel Prize for Literature to Thomas Pynchon for the body of his literary achievement. Please give a Certificate of Merit for Overachievement to the literary agents of Philip Roth an..."

have not read Pynchon- but agree on Oates (Joyce..not Warren who I love!!!) and Roth

David Lentz (WordsworthGreenwich) Dear Rick,
A Renaissance Man like you would enjoy Pynchon's "Mason & Dixon" -- it's a literary masterpiece.

Jessi | 68 comments I really need to read Pynchon one of these days. My best friend adores his work

David Lentz (WordsworthGreenwich) Jessi wrote: "I really need to read Pynchon one of these days. My best friend adores his work"

Dear Jessi,
Pynchon is a challenge to read but well worth it for the strength of the writing.

message 115: by Rick (last edited Sep 11, 2011 08:30PM) (new)

David wrote: "Dear Rick,
A Renaissance Man like you would enjoy Pynchon's "Mason & Dixon" -- it's a literary masterpiece."

appreciate the recommendation David- will check it out for sure! Mason and Dixon by Thomas Pynchon
very facinating plot- love history mixed with fiction- 800 pages!! but seems like a book that will greatly appeal to me-

Gatorman | 629 comments Diane wrote: "I think Grisham bears repeating as an over-rated writer.

Who deserves more recognition? Alan Bradley.
He's written two novels, with a third on the way, that are utterly delightful! Nine year old "..."

Agree on Grisham.

Clark Zlotchew | 56 comments This is really for anyone who has tried to contact me from last Saturday on. I've had to be out of contact with a computer until this minute, so please excuse my not getting back to people yet. I found over 300 emails waiting for me as well. Best wishes, Clark

Justin (JustinBienvenue) I dont know if anyone mentioned her already im too lazy to read all the comments but J.K Rowling is so overhyped...Like okay we get it she wrote Harry Potter and now because if it will live off it its profits but come on..One series and shes like great? I think not. Has she written anything else? not that she needs to..

Gatorman | 629 comments Justin wrote: "I dont know if anyone mentioned her already im too lazy to read all the comments but J.K Rowling is so overhyped...Like okay we get it she wrote Harry Potter and now because if it will live off it ..."

I agree on Rowling. Read portions of the Harry Potter books and found the writing to be lifeless. But I think we are probably in the minority.

message 120: by Tim (last edited Sep 23, 2011 07:19AM) (new)

Tim (TimH1952) | 60 comments Overhyped? Hmmm, where to start? Where to start? Hype tends to turn me off anyway, but sometimes I will leap and and buy a book from the current feeding frenzy. My latest disappointment was The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I bought it at Birmingham New Street Station to read on the train to London. I hope that the person who found it on my seat got more enjoyment out of it than I did. Nothing could possibly compel me to buy any of the rest of the books in the series, or see the film. Drivel.

I have No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy on my to-read shelf purely because I could not make any sense out of the film and was hoping that the book might be better. From previous posts I am getting the impression that this might not be the case.

I have never had a slave or servant, no-one in my family ever has and so I don't have a need for self-flagellation, so The Help by Kathryn Stockett is off my list. Plus anything recommended by Oprah Winfrey immediately gets crossed off.

Hilcia | 1 comments I think it all comes down to a matter of taste. A book that is overrated to one person, it's a treasure to another. So even though for me personally there are quite a few of those out there because they don't accommodate my personal taste, I hesitate to name a particular writer in this case.

message 122: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 463 comments I wish that Barbara Pym was better known. Her work is terrific - a Jane Austen of the 1950-1970s. I don'y know why her work isn't filmed - it would certainly appeal to the Austen crowd - and let's face it, as much as we love the Bronte's, Austen and Dickens, BBC/PBS need to start adapting works that have never been filmed before - instead of re-filming classics (good though the new films may be).

Clark Zlotchew | 56 comments I have no interest in reading Harry Potter books. The reason is, characters have magical powers. Once that's the case, there's no believable conflict. Harry Potter, I suppose, can get out of any difficulty by using magic. Anything can happen, so who cares?

Clark Zlotchew | 56 comments Tim wrote: "Overhyped? Hmmm, where to start? Where to start? Hype tends to turn me off anyway, but sometimes I will leap and and buy a book from the current feeding frenzy. My latest disappointment was [book:T..."
I was slogging my way through The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, and found it extremely boring, but I pressed on because of all the glowing reports. When I finally got to around page 133 or so, it then became interesting and suspenseful, a "page-turner." (You might want to look at my blog on the book for a fuller description.)

message 125: by Rick (new)

Ivan wrote: "I wish that Barbara Pym was better known. Her work is terrific - a Jane Austen of the 1950-1970s. I don'y know why her work isn't filmed - it would certainly appeal to the Austen crowd - and let'..."

I agree 10000000000000% about Pym - I have collected works on Kindle
Excellent Women by Barbara Pym Crampton Hodnet by Barbara Pym An Academic Question  by Barbara Pym A Very Private Eye  The Diaries, Letters and Notebooks of Barbara Pym by Barbara Pym

Maggie | 101 comments Tim wrote: "Overhyped? Hmmm, where to start? Where to start? Hype tends to turn me off anyway, but sometimes I will leap and and buy a book from the current feeding frenzy. My latest disappointment was [book:T..."

You didn't give yourself time to really get into The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - it really starts after about 100 pages or so and is a real page turner and well worth persevering with - so you wasted your money!

message 127: by [deleted user] (new)

I think most authors who release books that are made into movies, or who sell a million copies, are often over-hyped. It's not that they are bad authors, they seem to simply have too much publicity surrounding them. The first person who distinctly comes to mind is:

James Patterson

He is a good writer, but I see him everywhere, and it drives me insane! Every time I go to the bookstore, he has a new book out. I have to give him props for designing his own covers and authoring so many stories, but I would like to see some other authors in the spotlight. For instance, one of my favorite authors, Ridley Pearson is one of my favorite authors, and he writes similar books to Patterson, but his face isn't plastered everywhere, and I personally like his writing better.

Steve Shilstone | 96 comments Ivan wrote: "I wish that Barbara Pym was better known. Her work is terrific - a Jane Austen of the 1950-1970s. I don'y know why her work isn't filmed - it would certainly appeal to the Austen crowd - and let'..."

Excellent writer (pun intended)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 28 comments Steve wrote: "Ivan wrote: "I wish that Barbara Pym was better known. Her work is terrific - a Jane Austen of the 1950-1970s. I don'y know why her work isn't filmed - it would certainly appeal to the Austen cro..."
Which of Barbara Pym's books is a good one to start discovering her.?

Steve Shilstone | 96 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Steve wrote: "Ivan wrote: "I wish that Barbara Pym was better known. Her work is terrific - a Jane Austen of the 1950-1970s. I don'y know why her work isn't filmed - it would certainly appeal to ..."

I can suggest Excellent Women. It is indeed excellent.

message 131: by Desmond (last edited Sep 24, 2011 06:04PM) (new)

Desmond Bishop | 4 comments Clark and Tim say they doesn't like "overhyped" works. I couldn't agree more. It was such a relief to see the movie, The Kings's Speech - no car chases, no bombs dropping. Just magnificent characters finding their way.

One of my favourite books is DH Lawrence's Son's and Lovers - no hype. When I finished my autobiography, "Goodbye, Africa..." my son wrote to me saying, "Dad, that part, where you talk about nearly dying of malaria in the Zambezi Valley, is not emotional enough. I was there with you. I knew what it was like."

But I made no changes. I feel the story tells it's own tale. I hope I am right.

message 132: by D.D. (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 115 comments Fredrick Forsyth. It's not that he can't write or anything, his writing is good but none of his books have likable people in them, no Heros. John Grisham used to be good but I don't think he writes the books that appear under his name anymore, doesn't seem like it any way! Writers that need more hype? Me!!! As a new author I could really do with some positive hype!!! On a more serious note I think people are a bit snobby about Georgette Heyer books, you don't see them being made in to films like Jane Austen do you?!?!

message 133: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 463 comments I agree with Excellent Women and/or Jane and Prudence as good places to start with Barbara Pym.

Lexie Conyngham | 47 comments I think Nevil Shute has undeservedly slipped out of fashion. He's not just 'A Town Like Alice' - there are loads of really excellent books which are almost character studies as much as good yarns.
Besides, I was sitting under an umbrella one day reading one of his books in my lunch hour when a passerby stopped and burst out laughing. The Shute book in question? 'In the Wet'. You see? Perfect for every occasion!

Ellie (EllieArcher) I think Simon Van Booy and Andrew Davidson are wonderful writers.

Cliff Ball (cliffball) | 58 comments Since I was stuck reading a lot of "classics," including some Modern Fiction, when I was getting my BA in English, I can think of a lot of authors who are over-hyped.

Jane Austen (I guess because I'm a guy, but I still got stuck reading them.)
Edgar Allan Poe
Walt Whitman
James Joyce
James Fenimore Cooper
Cormac McCarthy, I hated No Country For Old Men
Larry McMurtry, mostly for Last Picture Show

Garlan I loved The Last Picture Show. It was also a very good movie IMO. Ben Johnson was good as were young Timothy Bottoms and Jeff Bridges.

message 138: by Mira (new)

Mira (MiraRad) Tim wrote: "Overhyped? Hmmm, where to start? Where to start? Hype tends to turn me off anyway, but sometimes I will leap and and buy a book from the current feeding frenzy. My latest disappointment was [book:T..."

I loved "The Millenium Series". For the first book, you have to get through part 1. After that the book moves fast and it is your introduction to Lisbeth. The other two books, deal with how she was dealt with as a ward of the State. Stieg Larssen was an advocate for victims, and his books show how these victims are further victimized. Along with a good thriller. I read the 2nd and 3rd book in one night. "The Help" does not deal with slaves but with the separate but equal issue, from a different perspective. I normally don't read Oprah's books either and I read this one before it was labeled as an Oprah book. )At least my copy doesn't say "Oprah Book Club Book"). But the book if very well written and makes you stop and think. I will say it probably is more aimed to the female population than male. I did hear or read somewhere that Larssen's books were supposed to be a longer series but he died before completing them.

message 139: by Mira (new)

Mira (MiraRad) Clark wrote: "I have no interest in reading Harry Potter books. The reason is, characters have magical powers. Once that's the case, there's no believable conflict. Harry Potter, I suppose, can get out of any..."

Not if all the characters are magical, hence they are all equal. The Potter books take place in a magical world, where everyone is like Harry. Very little takes place in the non-magical (muggle) world. I too am a huge fan. The magic aspect, in my opinion, is to draw in the young readers. Otherwise, the themes are very adult. And as Harry matures and gets older, so do the themes.

message 140: by Mira (new)

Mira (MiraRad) Linda wrote: "Ok, all of you James Patterson haters, I'm not really sure why he gets so many negative comments, especially here on Goodreads, I have always liked him. If you are looking for a quick..."

I like James Patterson but it seems that he puts out his books too fast and some fall short. It's hit or miss with him. My favorites of his:

Honeymoon
Beach Road
Suzanne's Diary to Nicholas

message 141: by John (new)

John Steiner (JohnSteiner) | 76 comments Having read "The Road" I nominate Cormac McCarthy as THE MOST over-hyped author of the 21st century [hey, that leave another 89 years for competition]. The book in its finished and published form was worse than the most crude rough draft of my own worst stories in my earliest and least experienced years of writing. I simply couldn't believe an editor let that conglomeration of word-saled past their desks.

Best piece of writing advice I ever got was, "Everyone writes crap." It doesn't matter if you're Stephen King or William Shakespeare at some point you've dumped mental fecal matter all over paper in your life. The best writers recognize the smell of this and either clean it up or ensure it never sees the light of day. Cormac McCarthy apparently never learned this rule or forgot it in his heady do-no-wrong belief similarly observed from Quintin Tarantino.

message 142: by Mira (new)

Mira (MiraRad) John wrote: "Having read "The Road" I nominate Cormac McCarthy as THE MOST over-hyped author of the 21st century [hey, that leave another 89 years for competition]. The book in its finished and published form w..."

I have that on my bookshelf but haven't read it because a friend of mine told me it was really depressing. And I am just not in the mood for "really depressing". So I should forget about it? I haven't seen great reviews about it but yet, it is hyped.

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 28 comments Agreed

message 144: by Rick (new)

Garlan wrote: "I loved The Last Picture Show. It was also a very good movie IMO. Ben Johnson was good as were young Timothy Bottoms and Jeff Bridges."

Ben Johnson was superb!! I believe he won the Oscar- a magnificent performance!!

Garlan I enjoyed The Road. I've also read Blood Meridian  Or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy, Child of God by Cormac McCarthy, Suttree by Cormac McCarthy, and his "Border Trilogy". All very good writing IMO. They're certainly not for everyone; very dark and somewaht disturbing, but all are very good writing from a really under-appreciated author.

message 146: by John (new)

John Steiner (JohnSteiner) | 76 comments Mira wrote: "John wrote: "Having read "The Road" I nominate Cormac McCarthy as THE MOST over-hyped author of the 21st century [hey, that leave another 89 years for competition]. The book in its finished and pub..."

Depressing would be one thing. I caught myself not caring what happened to the father and the kid. At one point I was rooting for the cannibals just so I wouldn't have to finish the other two thirds. But I mean having to read it was a chore because everything screamed of bad paragraphing after quotation, pathetic punctuation and incoherent narration that screamed for an editor's touch.

Seriously, it's as if someone tried to take the worst of their rough drafts and have it deteriorate from there.

message 147: by Boyd (new)

Boyd Lemon (Goodreadscomboydlemon) | 142 comments Mira wrote: "Clark wrote: "I have no interest in reading Harry Potter books. The reason is, characters have magical powers. Once that's the case, there's no believable conflict. Harry Potter, I suppose, can ..."

message 148: by Boyd (new)

Boyd Lemon (Goodreadscomboydlemon) | 142 comments It is my understanding that James Patterson does not write most of his books anymore. He hires writers to write books in his style. That is how he can publish a book almost every month.

Also, I agree that most--not all--famous writers are over hyped, as is every other celebrity in our society. It might take a little more effort to find an indie author that you like, but I think it is worth it, as opposed to contributing to the over-hyped authors' millions, but, of course, I'm biased, since i am an indie author.

Boyd Lemon-Author of “Digging Deep: A Writer Uncovers His Marriages,” a memoir of the author’s journey to understand his role in the destruction of his three marriages, a guide to help others in dealing with issues in their own relationships. Information, excerpts and reviews: http://www.BoydLemon-Writer.com

message 149: by Boyd (new)

Boyd Lemon (Goodreadscomboydlemon) | 142 comments So Sorry for the repetition. I don't know what happened.

Gatorman | 629 comments John wrote: "Having read "The Road" I nominate Cormac McCarthy as THE MOST over-hyped author of the 21st century [hey, that leave another 89 years for competition]. The book in its finished and published form w..."

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I would strongly disagree on your assessment of The Road. I thought it was a fantastic read, depressing and gloomy but with a lingering sense of hope at the end that left a lasting impression. I thought the simplicity of the writing was what made it so good. So few words needed to convey such a powerful story. I've also read No Country For Old Men and loved that, too. To each his own.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Word Gang (other topics)
Point Surrender (other topics)
North of Hope (other topics)
Staggerford (other topics)
Conversations with Jon Hassler (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mark McKenna (other topics)
Stephenie Meyer (other topics)
Suzanne Collins (other topics)
Pam Ripling (other topics)
Anne Carter (other topics)
More...