THE JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB discussion

AUTHORS WHO DESERVE MORE RECOGNITION-AUTHORS WHO OVER OVERHYPED??

Comments (showing 252-301)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 301: by Martin (new)

Martin | 36 comments Quite a few bestsellers, I understand, use other writers to flesh out book outlines or whatever, but James Patterson, unlike many of the others, always shares author credit. Still, what I've read of his work (and this was a book or two with his name on it exclusively, so presumably his own work) doesn't impress me very deeply. He may be more a franchise than an author.

message 300: by Rosalinda (new)

Rosalinda Morgan (rosalinda_r_morgan) | 3 comments Shay wrote: "Ottilie wrote: "I've never James Patterson, but by all his TV commericals the past year, it seems like a new book every other month, I can understand what Richard is saying."

I read that 1 of ever..."

I read somewhere that James Patterson pays authors to write the book for him and James Patterson gets the credit and his name on the cover. I refuse to buy any of his books because you don't know if he wrote it or not.

message 299: by Marja (new)

Marja McGraw (Marja1) | 555 comments M.M. Gornell deserves more recognition in my opinion. I don't know if others would agree, but her books really move me.

message 298: by Rick (new)

Rick F. | 12852 comments Mod
Barry Eisler

message 297: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnpisturino) | 13 comments I think Stephen King is over-hyped. I liked his early works much better than his recent ones. I always feel like I'm reading the same characters and the same story over and over again.

message 296: by Kara (new)

Kara Jorges (kjjorges) | 39 comments Jane wrote: "A book club member and I were just talking about Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs series. We think she is highly deserving of more recognition!"

I totally agree! I love both this series and the Jade del Cameron series, also set in Africa in the same time period, but with a different flavor.

message 295: by Martin (new)

Martin | 36 comments Martin Cruz Smith is tremendously popular but not really recognized for his merits very much.
R.A. Lafferty and Thomas Disch are hugely undervalued, as is the British playwright Peter Barnes, Poland's Slavomir Mrozek, George Tabori and the Scottish writer Alasdair Gray.

message 294: by Hank (new)

Hank Quense | 68 comments I certainly agree. Moore's new book, Serpent of Venice is a 5 star read IMHO

message 293: by Malina (new)

Malina Brian J. wrote: "Coyote Blue by Christopher Moore - Christopher Moore definitely deserves more recognition."

I love his books!! "A Dirty Job" is hilarious

message 292: by Brian (last edited May 10, 2014 05:51AM) (new)

Brian  J. J. (Jokeboy) | 4 comments Coyote Blue by Christopher Moore - Christopher Moore definitely deserves more recognition.

message 291: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Miller (Lisacmiller) I think this author needs more hype: Wendy Alec

message 290: by Rick (new)

Emily wrote: "Jeni, I oh! So! totally agree! JK Rowling is the most over-hyped author this decade. That's not saying that her series (not named ;) isn't good; but oy vey!

On the OTHER HAND, let's throw roses a..."

Pelican Road by Howard Bahr..is now definately on my top tier TBR list..thanks Emily!!

message 289: by Emily (new)

Emily Hill | 79 comments Jeni, I oh! So! totally agree! JK Rowling is the most over-hyped author this decade. That's not saying that her series (not named ;) isn't good; but oy vey!

On the OTHER HAND, let's throw roses at the feet of Howard Bahr for 'Pelican Road' -- lyrical, masterful, colossal! Every sentence was labored over -- I hope. Because if Mr. Bahr just whips out his literary masterpieces with no effort I'm sobbing!

'Pelican Road' -- read it!

message 288: by Rogier (new)

Rogier (rorocapri) | 8 comments I don't know if these are mention but Monstrous Beauty by Elizabeth Fama and Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst need more hype

message 287: by Rick (new)

Man and Wife by Wilkie CollinsI am reading Man and Wife by Wilkie Collins..this is the 5th novel of his I have read. I truly feel he should be as well remembered as his close friend and collaborator Charles Dickens..his books are so well written..and still timely!! Wilkie Collins

message 286: by KOMET (new)

KOMET | 710 comments Rick wrote: "I feel that Martin Amis is somewhat over-rated
I really do!"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Rick, you may be right.

Some years ago, I bought Amis' celebrated novel "Money" and gave up on it after reading about 60 pages. I couldn't relate to the main character nor get some sense of what life was like in NYC in 1981.

BUT... I am willing to give Amis a second chance with Lionel Asbo: State of England.

Lionel Asbo  State of England by Martin Amis

message 285: by Rick (new)

I feel that Martin Amis is somewhat over-rated
I really do!

message 284: by Marja (new)

Marja McGraw (Marja1) | 555 comments Patricia wrote: "Many of you have expressed interest in the books published by small press authors. I hope you'll check out the list I've compiled of some of my favorites.
http://www.shelfari.com/patriciagligo......"

I've found some terrific authors on your list and I appreciate the time and effort you've put into it. (And thanks for including me on the list!)

message 283: by Lucy (new)

Lucy | 1 comments In general, any author who is considered "important" is one I will avoid. I also consider it a "con" if a book is on Oprah's book club. My motto: "De gustibus non disputandum est."

message 282: by Rick (new)

Eileen wrote: "I am not at all a fan of James Patterson. At the same time, I admit I'm not a fan of James Joyce's novels although I do love his short stories. That's one reason authors need to remember that a low..."

I really agree with you too Eileen. I consider Joyce one of the most overrated writers of all time. His writing tends to be dry and in some cases, incoherent.

message 281: by Al (new)

Al Lohn | 5 comments !!!!!!! “Sacred Blood” is now available in paperback and e-book !!!!!

By Al Lohn

http://www.allohnauthor.wordpress.com
www.ah1012@optonline.net
www.allohn.com

Sacred Blood by Al LohnAl Lohn

message 280: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (goodreadscomcherylbdale) | 48 comments Again, I wish GR had a like button!

message 279: by [deleted user] (new)

I am not at all a fan of James Patterson. At the same time, I admit I'm not a fan of James Joyce's novels although I do love his short stories. That's one reason authors need to remember that a low rating is a matter of genre and reader temperament. It is not always a condemnation of the work.

message 278: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Gligor (goodreadscompatriciagligor) | 21 comments Many of you have expressed interest in the books published by small press authors. I hope you'll check out the list I've compiled of some of my favorites.
http://www.shelfari.com/patriciagligo...

message 277: by Chris (last edited Aug 16, 2013 04:51AM) (new)

Chris Dietzel (ChrisDietzel) | 73 comments Rick wrote: "I agree completely. I really wonder about the whole concept of "critics". Who decides who gets to be appointed critic? And who are these self important judges? By in large ... Failed filmmakers and writers. Just checkout Roger Ebert's sole screenplay. Ugh!!! And Christopher Lehman-Haupts (NY Times book reviewer of 80's and 90's). Dreadful. And yet these two felt qualified to critique others!!!!
"

I couldn't agree more, Rick. One of the best things GoodReads has done for me is expose me to reader reviews and lists that offer great recommendations. I got so fed up with critics reviews pushing books that I continually read and disliked, that the reader reviews on here are my go-to for which books I read next.

Ebert is a peculiar case. His screenplay for 'Dolls' was AWFUL, but his reviews of movies are mostly spot-on for me. Especially his review of something like "Dark City" where he analyzed specific scenes, I was really impressed with his critique.

message 276: by KOMET (new)

KOMET | 710 comments For those of us among the last wave of baby boomers, there was the great literary critic Edmund Wilson (1895-1972). Check out his book "To the Finland Station" and one of his diaries "The Thirties: From Notebooks and Diaries of the Period".

To the Finland Station by Edmund Wilson

The Thirties  From Notebooks and Diaries of the Period by Edmund Wilson

message 275: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (goodreadscomcherylbdale) | 48 comments Rick wrote: "Chris wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "Just because critics like certain books, doesn't mean everyone will. Even tons of sales don't always signal something I'd enjoy. Teeny-boppers and new adults don't like..."

Oh why oh why does GR not have a LIKE button!

message 274: by Rick (new)

Chris wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "Just because critics like certain books, doesn't mean everyone will. Even tons of sales don't always signal something I'd enjoy. Teeny-boppers and new adults don't like the same stuf..."

Cheryl wrote: "Chris wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "Just because critics like certain books, doesn't mean everyone will. Even tons of sales don't always signal something I'd enjoy. Teeny-boppers and new adults don't like..."

I agree completely. I really wonder about the whole concept of "critics". Who decides who gets to be appointed critic? And who are these self important judges? By in large ... Failed filmmakers and writers. Just checkout Roger Ebert's sole screenplay. Ugh!!! And Christopher Lehman-Haupts (NY Times book reviewer of 80's and 90's). Dreadful. And yet these two felt qualified to critique others!!!!

message 273: by KOMET (new)

KOMET | 710 comments Cynthia Harrod-Eagles. For close to a decade, I've been reading her Morland Dynasty Series of historical novels (I'm up to Number 33 in the series), which are FANTASTIC!!! She also writes a long standing investigative crime series of novels and a score of other novels. This is a writer well-deserving of greater recognition.

Cynthia Harrod-Eagles

The Question (Morland Dynasty, #25) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles

message 272: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (goodreadscomcherylbdale) | 48 comments Chris wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "Just because critics like certain books, doesn't mean everyone will. Even tons of sales don't always signal something I'd enjoy. Teeny-boppers and new adults don't like the same stuf..."

Exactly, Chris. I never pay much attention to critics. Give me someone I know and whose opinions I trust every time!

message 271: by Chris (new)

Chris Dietzel (ChrisDietzel) | 73 comments Cheryl wrote: "Just because critics like certain books, doesn't mean everyone will. Even tons of sales don't always signal something I'd enjoy. Teeny-boppers and new adults don't like the same stuff I do (thinkin..."

Exactly. I just started another thread on here the other day ("The Hype Machine") trying to figure out why certain books have all the critics flocking behind them when the reader consensus seems to be exactly the opposite. I can understand varying tastes as a way to explain why some critics might like certain books, but it seems odd when the industry all rallies behind a book that general audiences don't care for, because then it leaves the masses less trusting of the critic's opinions.

message 270: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (goodreadscomcherylbdale) | 48 comments Just because critics like certain books, doesn't mean everyone will. Even tons of sales don't always signal something I'd enjoy. Teeny-boppers and new adults don't like the same stuff I do (thinking of Meyers). Neither do spare-prose, no-punctuation lovers who gush over the latest literary lions (McCarthy). Or lyrical prose admirers pushing their favorites (Hosseini, Allende).

Could be I've become a little jaded?

message 269: by Rick (new)

Bridget R. wrote: "Christopher wrote: "Heh...

Chris, your confusion will soon evaporate if you avoid all contact with such writers. Yeah, those so-called lists are usually worthless. If anything, they're often about..."

Exactly. And that goes for "best of" lists for books, films and sports. Ugh!!

message 268: by Bridget R. (new)

Bridget R. Christopher wrote: "Heh...

Chris, your confusion will soon evaporate if you avoid all contact with such writers. Yeah, those so-called lists are usually worthless. If anything, they're often about the lowest common d..."

*nods* I've been avoiding all "best of" lists for a while now, because I've been disappointed in so many books that show up there.

message 267: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Bunn | 19 comments Heh...

Chris, your confusion will soon evaporate if you avoid all contact with such writers. Yeah, those so-called lists are usually worthless. If anything, they're often about the lowest common denominator.

message 266: by Rick (new)

Chris wrote: "Christopher wrote: "Dan Brown, Stephanie Meyer, Sherrilyn Kenyon, EL James, the Divergent writer...t..."

I'm so confused, according the GoodReads' list of 'The Best Books of All Time', Meyers, Bro..."

I am consistently disappointed by ANY "best of" or "greatest ever" lists. They are no more valuable or incisive than any person's list. Just because a magazine or website is behind the list does not make it any more valid. Actually, that is usually a signal to me that the list will be mostly commercial and have little to do with actual quality

message 265: by Chris (last edited Aug 09, 2013 04:35AM) (new)

Chris Dietzel (ChrisDietzel) | 73 comments Christopher wrote: "Dan Brown, Stephanie Meyer, Sherrilyn Kenyon, EL James, the Divergent writer...t..."

I'm so confused, according the GoodReads' list of 'The Best Books of All Time', Meyers, Brown, etc have written masterpieces... ; )

message 264: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Bunn | 19 comments Richard Powell (American humorist) needs a lot more attention. He's the funniest American writer since Mark Twain.

Dan Brown, Stephanie Meyer, Sherrilyn Kenyon, EL James, the Divergent writer...they all need less attention.

message 263: by Rick (new)

As far as classic writers. I believe James Joyce is by far the most overrated. I find his writing tedious and distant. As far as Ulysses - the most incomprehensible book I ever tried to read!

message 262: by Raven (new)

Raven Reviewer (RavenReviewer) | 13 comments Talking about David Litwack, author of Along the Watchtower today.

Check out an interview with him & featuring his book:
http://ravenreviewer.tumblr.com/post/...

http://raveneastereggs.tumblr.com/pos...

message 261: by Keith (new)

Keith | 14 comments Brandon Sanderson is everywhere. AND he deserves to be :)

message 260: by Chris (new)

Chris Dietzel (ChrisDietzel) | 73 comments Chris Cleave seems incredibly over-hyped. If you pick up one of his novels, you see pages of blurbs from the biggest reviewers around the world all saying how incredible his books are. Maybe it's just me, but from what I've read of his so far, he can't come close to comparing to other notable writers like Richard Ford, Lorrie Moore, etc.

message 259: by Gary (new)

Gary Tenuta (Code9) | 6 comments I'm a fan of indie author, John C. Stipa who wrote No Greater Sacrifice. It's speculative fiction with a Dan Brown vibe. Very original and captivating story with terrific action scenes. No Greater Sacrifice by John C. Stipa

message 258: by Rick (new)

Mark wrote: "At least those writers will never have to look back some day and have to say, "What if?" And after they're gone their diamonds-in-the-rough can hopefully still be discovered."

Very true mark. Also with ebooks, books becoming "out of print" no longer mean permanent obscurity.

message 257: by Mark (new)

Mark Glamack (wwwgoodreadscomuser_littluns) | 23 comments At least those writers will never have to look back some day and have to say, "What if?" And after they're gone their diamonds-in-the-rough can hopefully still be discovered.

message 256: by Rick (new)

Melanie wrote: "Rick wrote: "Melanie wrote: "There are many wonderful writers who are gone now and whose books have fallen into obscurity. Some are getting second life in e (like Frederic Brown, author of the Mart..."

much appreciated!!!

message 255: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Jackson (melaniejaxn) | 65 comments Rick wrote: "Melanie wrote: "There are many wonderful writers who are gone now and whose books have fallen into obscurity. Some are getting second life in e (like Frederic Brown, author of the Martian chronicle..."

One fave is just starting to come out in e is Richard Martin Stern . Another who isn't in e yet and whose books are very hard to find but sooo worth it is Aaron Marc Stein... Right now as part of the Kindle Big Deal you can get the books of Ann Bridge very inexpensively. So there! That should keep you busy for a while :-).

message 254: by Bridget R. (last edited Feb 21, 2013 05:30PM) (new)

Bridget R. A. M. Hudson writes amazing YA paranormal romance. The Dark Secrets series is wonderful not only as a romance but with the intrigue surrounding the characters as the series goes on.

Tears of the Broken (Dark Secrets #1) by A.M. Hudson The Knight of the Rose (Dark Secrets #2) by A.M. Hudson The Heart's Ashes (Dark Secrets #3) by A.M. Hudson Mark of Betrayal (Dark Secrets #4) by A.M. Hudson

message 253: by Gary (new)

Gary J. | 9 comments A giant shout-out to all you out there who think Cormac McCarthy writes over-hyped drivel. It tickles me to no end to know that I am not a lone voice in the wilderness.

Two really excellent writers--who have followings, but who are vastly underrated--come instantly to mind: Rick DeMarinis (perhaps the best living literary writer in America), and Kent Anderson (SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL; NIGHT DOGS).

message 252: by Colt (new)

Colt (thecrippler) | 8 comments I'd say Rob Grant deserves more recognition for his ability to write sub biting satire. Yet he seems to be known only for his writing of Red Dwarf series.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Word Gang (other topics)
Point Surrender (other topics)
North of Hope (other topics)
Staggerford (other topics)
Conversations with Jon Hassler (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mark McKenna (other topics)
Stephenie Meyer (other topics)
Suzanne Collins (other topics)
Pam Ripling (other topics)
Anne Carter (other topics)
More...