Historical Romance discussion

Comments (showing 1-38 of 38) (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Eastofoz | 901 comments Mod
If you know of a fun or original author contest to enter please let everyone else know too :D

Emily Bryan has a great one about pirates where you had to come up with a pirate name to win her books. The top 10 finalists have been chosen and you can vote for the one you like best and be entered to win a whole bunch of her books.

Here's the link if anyone wants to check out the names:
http://www.emilybryan.com/Pira...

(scroll to the bottom for the whole list).

Personally I like these kinds of contests way better instead of the not so original "read the excerpt to find out who said what and enter your answer". Hope there are some more creative authors out there ;)

Kathrynn | 890 comments Mod
Great idea, East.

Congratulations on one of your pirate names (Greydon Quinn, The Wraith of St. Jude) making the top 10 out of almost 200 entries!

People have until November 4th to vote on the names they like and the winner will receive a backlist of books prepared by the author.

Congratulations, East!

Thanks Kathrynn :D It really was fun to participate I thought. I was super excited to have won an autographed copy of "Pleasuring the Pirate" which was on my wishlist (**happy happy dance time**lol!) --fingers crossed on getting the big loot ;D

Lisa Hendrix (LisaHendrix) | 18 comments I'm having a contests in which you can enter to win an autographed Advance Read Copy of my November book, IMMORTAL WARRIOR. No games to play, but you can be one of the first people on Goodreads to have a chance at this book.

Just go to my contest page at

http://www.writerspace.com/contests/l...

and fill out a simple form.

No purchase necessary. Contest closes September 30, 2008. International readers welcome on this one.

"Blending paranormal with historical and a touch of the comedy that she is known for, Lisa Hendrix gives us the first in a stunning new series bound to rocket straight to the bestseller list. Her heroine was smart and sassy, her hero was strong and patient, the subplot was awesome and the twist at the end was completely unexpected. I can't wait to get my hands on the next one." -- Valerie at manicreaders.com

Immortal Warrior

Tammy  (TammyMerlot) | 67 comments Congrats East!

Julia Quinn has a new contest posted on her website - 3 winners receive autographed copies of The Secret Diaries of Miranda Cheever. Rona Sharon is advertising a new contest in the fall after she finishes her next book. Lisa Kleypas currently does NOT have a contest on her website, but she has posted a new Wallflower quiz (just for East!) and a trailer for her upcoming book Wallflower Christmas. I receive monthly emails from Writerspace.com - they always announce all sorts of contests for Christina Dodd, Catherine Anderson, etc.

In contemporary romance, Janet Evanovich has a contest running to design book #15 in the Stephanie Plum series (she is giving away a "Plum Crazy" hat). Susan Elizabeth Phillips has a contest going right now - the winner receives autographed copies of Natural Born Charmer and It Had to Be You.

So now you all know what I do during my down time at work! = )

Writer's Space is a good one for contests but I didn't see any fun ones last time I looked :( I'll check out Quinn's and I'll be taking that Wallflower quiz (lol!). Thanks for the info Tammy and the congrats :D

new_user Congrats on winning, East, and thanks for the heads-up on these contests, guys! The drawings are great for people like me who are pirate-challenged, lol.

Kayleigh (KayleighJamison) | 100 comments Hm...I'm awful at thinking up fun contests. Maybe I should have a contest on contests? Whichever reader comes up with the best contest idea wins. Then, I have the contest, and someone else wins that... hmmm

Kay

message 9: by Kathrynn (last edited Sep 21, 2008 04:49PM) (new)

Well, there ya go. Good idea. Bet some people here can offer suggestions...I'm not good at thinking up that kind of stuff, either.

;-)

message 10: by Eastofoz (last edited Sep 21, 2008 05:32PM) (new)

Kayleigh if you're writing a historical why not a "name that castle/domain" contest or something like that? I picked up your book "Leading Her to Heaven" by the way :D They didn't have it at a BN store so I had to order it online at BN. Borders didn't have it all :( It's on its way though :D

Thanks new_user :D

Hey East, good idea! Name that castle...

Kayleigh (KayleighJamison) | 100 comments East,

I like it. The book you just got has castles. The new series I just signed a contract for is Regency-era, so no castles. Hmm....the wheels are actually turning!

Kay

Hmmm what can ya do for a Regency contest -- name that gossip (lol!)

Kayleigh (KayleighJamison) | 100 comments Or come up with your most extravagant nobleman's name. You know, something like Julian Ravenwood, Viscount Hawthorne, a/k/a Cuddles. LOL. People make fun of hero's names in Regencies, but I gotta say, I love them, stereotypical or not!

♡Karlyn P♡ (KarLynP) Tammy - you mention Rona Sharon is finishing up a book. I am dying to know what is next for her, as her website is not updated. Was there more info on what she is working on and when we can get her next book?? She's only published two books, but I love her writing style. And 'My Wicked Pirate' is one of my all-time-favs.

Tammy  (TammyMerlot) | 67 comments Hi KarLynP.

Apparently Rona Sharon's new book is a work in progress and she is being very tight-lipped about it. One of my all-time favorite books is Once A Rake (love the reunited theme!) I managed to find a copy of My Wicked Pirate several months ago, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. The book is SO popular that I am shocked it is out of print! I found used copies on Amazon going for over $20!

♡Karlyn P♡ (KarLynP) Tammy - then you must read My Wicked Pirate, as I personally thought it was the better of her two books. OAR was also wonderful, but it kind of lost me toward the end. However, I love her writing style so much. She can really pack the emotional angst and heart pounding heat.

I've had "My Wicked Pirate" on TBR for a while now --I won it with some other goodies when I entered a contest on Rona's website. Did you know she lives in Israel --I just figured most English romance writers live in the US/Canada or the UK 8) Well I just moved that up the TBR hill thanks to KarLynP :)

Tammy  (TammyMerlot) | 67 comments Unfortunately, I'm still reading about vampires (Twilight series) so I can't start books about pirates right now. = ) I really liked OAR because of the reunited romance theme, but I agree with KarlynP that it did get confusing towards the end. The heroine was adorable as a little girl, but she eventually became annoying with her games and childish attitude sometimes.

Julianna (AuthorJuliannaD) | 325 comments I just saw that Catherine Anderson is sponsoring a Treasure Hunt Contest. Answer the 20 listed trivia questions about her books and a few other romance novels to be entered into a drawing for a $75 gift basket filled with chocolate, candles and other goodies including an autographed HC copy of one of her books. Sounds fun!

Thanks for the info Julie :D

Julianna (AuthorJuliannaD) | 325 comments Eloisa James is running a contest where entrants pretend that they have traveled back in time to Georgian England and must describe the one absolute worst job they would never do. Five people will receive a copy of her book Desperate Duchesses and the grand prize winner will receive an ARC of her upcoming book When the Duke Returns.

East won Emily Bryan's pirate name contest!

Congratulations! (sending you virtual party sounds, streamers and confetti!)

WOO-HOO!!!!

new_user Congrats, East! Happy reading! :)

Kathrynn!! You make me laugh I swear (lol!) Thanks for the congrats :D I'm waiting on the stash list from Auntee--they went to her place and she's shipping them over to me :D

Thanks new_user --was I ever surprised when I got the email!

Tammy  (TammyMerlot) | 67 comments Told ya so! Told ya so!! *singing in my off-key voice*

Can't wait to hear about the box of goodies that you get East. Does this mean that your name will go on the author's website? How 'bout on the official Talk Like a Pirate Day website? LOL!!

LOL Tammy ;) My name is on her website just as the winner of the loot :D

Wait! East, are you saying the author isn't shipping the books you won to you, but to Auntee who then will ship them to you?

Please tell me that I misunderstood...

I think when I entered Kathrynn it was a US/Canada only contest so Auntee lets me use her address when there are conditions like that and then she forwards me the books. Very few authors will ship even a one book win overseas. I'm used to it at this point. I'm just happy I can participate now --can you tell I'm a die hard reader (lol!) =)

message 30: by Eastofoz (last edited Nov 13, 2008 03:21PM) (new)

[Posted this in the Alpha Heroes group already but thought maybe the Historical group may like to see the list too seeing as there are quite a few historical reads :) ]

So check out the Emily Bryan haul I won --now that's what I call a treasure trove!!

By Emily Bryan:

PLEASURING THE PIRATE (AUTOGRAPHED)
DISTRACTING THE DUCHESS (AUTOGRAPHED)

By Diana Groe:

ERIN'S SONG (AUTOGRAPHED)
MAIDEN SONG (AUTOGRAPHED)
SILK DREAMS (AUTOGRAPHED)

By Mary Balogh:

WEB OF LOVE
THE GILDED WEB

Patricia Grasso--PLEASURING THE PRINCE
Melissa Mayhue--SOUL OF A HIGHLANDER
Virginia Kantra--CLOSE-UP
Susan Wiggs--SUMMER AT WILLOW LAKE
Robyn Carr--VIRGIN RIVER
Nancy Martin--HOW TO MURDER A MILLIONAIRE
Hope Tarr--BOUND TO PLEASE (AUTOGRAPHED)
Deanna Raybourn--SILENT IN THE SANCTUARY

and ARCS of...

NIGHT's ROSE--by Annaliese Evans
CUTTING LOOSE--by Nadine Dajani

Plus a cardboard cover thing of VEXING THE VISCOUNT by Emily Bryan, a bunch of autographed bookmarks of PLEASURING THE PIRATE and DISTRACTING THE DUCHESS and...a $25 B&N gift card!!!

I am a happy camper today people =)

If anyone's read any of these feel free to tell me what's good. I've only read VIRGIN RIVER and I have DISTRACTING THE DUCHESS on TBR.

That is so neat, East. I have "Summer at Willow Lake" to read. Enjoyed the Virgin River SERIES [#8-):] and I know you didn't care for it, but I'm sure you'll put that one to good use.

Not familiar with the others, but will look forward to your reviews on them!

You go, girl!

Kathrynn a copy of VIRGIN RIVER is going to my sister --she'll read just about anything (lol!) I'll look so benevolent too by giving it to her :p

Blodeuedd Finland | 4 comments Amelia Grey is over at my blog for a guestblog, and I am giving away 2 copies of An earl to Enchant

http://books-forlife.blogspot.com/201...

Robin (RBBR) Someone posted a link to a cost before Easter where you had to go to different sights and find the Easter Egg. I did it just for the fun of finding the eggs and I won Prize Package #2. A $25 GC to ThinkGeek.com donated by Charity Tahmaseb and Darcy Vance

A print book of "The One and Only" donated by Susan Palmquist

a PDF copy of “Vampire Island”, a print copy of “Makita” & some magnets donated by Sandra Cox

An eBook copy of "Island Sting" by Bonnie J. Doerr donated by Leap Books

A Leap Books T-shirt donated by Leap Books

A charm of either a silver fishing hook or a key donated by Bonnie Doerr (I picked the key)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 329 comments Robin wrote: "Someone posted a link to a cost before Easter where you had to go to different sights and find the Easter Egg. I did it just for the fun of finding the eggs and I won Prize Package #2. A $25 GC to ..."

congrats!

Cynthia Roberts | 25 comments Spectacular 5 Gift Book Release Contest

To celebrate the official release of my historical Indian romance, Wind Warrior on June 15th, I am running a promotional contest. I am sooooo excited. Just got another beautiful review on Romance Junkies. You can catch it here http://romancejunkiesreviews.com/artm...

Five lucky winners will win one of the following:

Grand Prize $125 value - Romantic Picnic Basket for 2
[image error]

Second Prize $75 value - Succulent Godiva Chocolates

[image error]

Third Prize - $50 value Romantic Pearl & Crystal Necklace

[image error]

Fourth & Fifth Prizes is a $25 gift certificate from Amazon.

To enter, must show proof of purchase of my book by either scanning your store receipt OR forward a copy of your online email purchase confirmation to cynthia@romanceauthorcynthiaroberts.com. Contest runs from 6/15-6/30. Prizes will be delivered directly to your home. Name, mailing address and email must be provided at time of entry. All winners will be notified by email.

message 37: by Pamela(AllHoney) (last edited May 17, 2010 07:00PM) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 329 comments just hand over the chocolate and no one gets hurt :) lol

Cynthia Roberts | 25 comments love the comment Pam ~ hugs

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Immortal Warrior (other topics)
When the Duke Returns (other topics)
Desperate Duchesses (other topics)