The Book Addicts! discussion

Picking New Books! > What To Read in August?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 140) (140 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Mary (Marbear) Blackburn (mbeth45) | 9161 comments Mod
Wow, can it really be July? Hope everyone has a Happy and safe 4th of July. It's time to vote for our August books. You can nominate just one book. The books with the most votes will be in the poll. Here is our reading history of the books we've already read as a club:
2008-11 The Graveyard Book
2009-04 13th Tale
2009-05 Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society
2009-06 Middlemarch
2009-07 House at Riverton
2009-07 Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
2009-08 Outlander
2009-08 The Road
2009-09 The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
2009-09 The Book Thief
2009-10 The Woman in White
2009-10 The Gargoyle
2009-11 The Elegance of the Hedgehog
2009-11 Water for Elephants
2009-12 The Stupidest Angel
2009-12 A Christmas Carol
2010-01 The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
2010-01 Under the Dome
2010-01 Sarah's Key
2010-02 The Historian
2010-02 The Help
2010-03 Cutting for Stone
2010-03 A Reliable Wife
2010-03 Blind Assassin
2010-04 Shutter Island
2010-04 Forgotten Garden
2010-05 Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
2010-05 Jane Eyre
2010-06 Outlander (Diana Gabaldon)
2010-06 Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie
2010-07 Angel's Game
2010-07 Still Alice
2010-08 Little Bee
2010-08 Mudbound
2010-08 The Passage
2010-09 The Kitchen House
2010-09 The Time Traveler's Wife
2010-10 Dracula
2010-10 Let the Great World Spin
2010-11 The Art of Racing in the Rain
2010-11 Love in the Time of Cholera
2010-12 The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
2010-12 Room
2011-01 Anna Karenina
2011-01 Eat,Pray, Love
2011-02 Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
2011-02 The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet
2011-03 Those Who Save Us
2011-03 The Last Symbol
2011-04 Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption
2011-04 Wolf Hall
2011-05 Moloka'i
2011-05 The Shadow of the Wind
2011-06 Mansfield Park
2011-06 Olive Kitteridge
2011-06 The Handmaid's Tale

To nominate your book look for the second thread on the main book club page that says "Picking Our New Books." Plz let us know if you can not find it. Thanks!

Marbear
Jilly
Miss GP

Amanda (polishsweetheart0911) | 60 comments Amy and Isabelle by elizabeth strout

Christina (Anietzerck) | 99 comments The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi

message 4: by Lea (last edited Jul 01, 2011 02:30PM) (new)

Lea (Leaspot) | 1883 comments The Way Home The Way Home by George P. Pelecanos by George P. Pelecanos

message 6: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (last edited Jul 01, 2011 02:32PM) (new)

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

Stephen (SPG-) | 216 comments For Nothing by Nicholas Denmon by a new author, Nicholas Denmon. Sounds like my sort of book and been getting really good reviews.

Rusty | 117 comments Stones from the River by Ursula Hegi.

Bob Arnold | 597 comments MarBear wrote: "Les Miserables by Victor Hugo"

I second

Ajmiz827 | 2 comments I would like to nominate BLOOD AND THUNDER -- AN EPIC OF THE AMERICAN WEST by Hampton Sides. This is non-ficiton.

message 13: by Diana S (last edited Jul 01, 2011 04:07PM) (new)

Diana S | 44 comments I also nominate Don't Breathe a Word

Don't Breathe a Word by Jennifer McMahon By Jennifer McMahon.

message 15: by Vikki, Moderator (new)

Vikki (silverstarz) | 812 comments Mod
I'd second The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

I just finished a book by Suzannah Dunn which I really enjoyed... I'd like to read some of other her books, so I'm going to nominate The Queen of Subleties.

Silver | 649 comments Christina wrote: "The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides"

I 2nd that

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) Erin wrote: "I would like to read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children"

I second this one, it's on my want-list :)

Sarah Kit★ wrote: "Erin wrote: "I would like to read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children"

I second this one, it's on my want-list :)"

I "third" this one.

Bernadette (Bern51) | 362 comments MarBear wrote: "Les Miserables by Victor Hugo"

I second Les Mis, could we have two months thought?

message 21: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Hi Bernadette. That would have been a good idea. I didn't realize it was so long but it's been on my to-be-read list for awhile. I found a download for free for my kindle. I'm ready. I've never read Victor Hugo, have you?

Marbear

message 22: by Bernadette (last edited Jul 01, 2011 05:48PM) (new)

Bernadette (Bern51) | 362 comments MarBear wrote: "Hi Bernadette. That would have been a good idea. I didn't realize it was so long but it's been on my to-be-read list for awhile. I found a download for free for my kindle. I'm ready. I've never rea..."

Just The Hunchback of Notre-Dame which was MUCH shorter, between 1/3 to 1/4 the size of Les Mis. I have this beautiful hardcover of Les Misérables but it's just so intimidating

message 23: by Jenna (last edited Jul 01, 2011 05:51PM) (new)

Jenna | 2 comments I would like to nominate The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen

Anne | 674 comments Bernadette wrote: "MarBear wrote: "Les Miserables by Victor Hugo"

I second Les Mis, could we have two months thought?"

I'd like to read Les Miserables too. It's been collecting dust on my bookcase for far too long.

Andrea (sunshinegirl23) | 26 comments I will 3rd The Paris Wife by Paula McLain

Connie (Connie_G) | 63 comments I would also like to read The Paris Wife. Hemingway lived such a colorful life that I think it would be fascinating.

Shay | 491 comments Connie wrote: "I would also like to read The Paris Wife. Hemingway lived such a colorful life that I think it would be fascinating."

There's also a fairly recent mystery series with Hemingway. Can't think of the titles, but it was during his old, fat, Florida stage of life.

Sharie | 10 comments I will add my vote for The Paris Wife! :)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) Sharie wrote: "I will add my vote for The Paris Wife! :)"

I also throw my vote in for The Paris Wife

Karen (KarenF) | 94 comments Erin wrote: "I would like to read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children"

I "4th" this one

Lilpawzz | 1 comments I also vote for Don't Breathe a Word.
It is in my cue and I am just looking for an excuse to move it up the list.

Eman AJ (eman_aj) I would like to vote for Water for Elephants

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) Karen wrote: "Erin wrote: "I would like to read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children"

I "4th" this one"

Yay! If it gets voted in, I'm totally going to Borders and buying it new :)

Christina (Anietzerck) | 99 comments You still have Borders?! :( they've all closed here in Tampa FL

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) Yea, there's 3 all within an hour's drive, none of them closed, which is good, but there were no big sales or deals, which is not so good (for my budget anyway). :)

Rachelle (Awaken80) | 278 comments I second Stones from the River. It's one of my all-time favourite books, and I've actually been thinking about re-reading it lately!

message 37: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Bernadette wrote: "MarBear wrote: "Hi Bernadette. That would have been a good idea. I didn't realize it was so long but it's been on my to-be-read list for awhile. I found a download for free for my kindle. I'm ready..."

Hi Bernadette. I downloaded the book to my kindle so I can't see the book. Lol. I almost passed out when I looked at the book page count.

Mar bear

Becky (BeckyMurr) Andrea wrote: "I will 3rd The Paris Wife by Paula McLain"

I pick this one too

Ivy (luvbug) A couple of the books that have already been nominated sound interesting and I think I would like to read either of them. I have the first five books of a new to me series so I would like to nominate book 1 of the series to be concidered... The Glasswrights' Apprentice (Glasswright, #1) by Mindy Klasky The Glasswrights' Apprentice by Mindy Klasky I have had these books on my to read pile for over a year so it is time to read it...

Charla Wilson | 1 comments Erin wrote: "I would like to read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children"

I second Miss Peregrines Home for peculiar children!

Jessica | 19 comments The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

Ioana | 533 comments Bernadette wrote: "MarBear wrote: "Les Miserables by Victor Hugo"

I second Les Mis, could we have two months thought?"

I would love to read this one, too. I think I read it many, many years ago but I don't remember the details. I know the story, loved the show, so I think this would be a good read and a great discussion.

Carol | 13 comments Can I nominate The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth KostovaI know Elizabeth Kostova has been read in The Historian. I adore this book have read it at least three times but it is a book one could read again and again and always find something new

Jen  (JenBleaucat) | 1 comments I'll also nominate Don't Breathe a Word
It has been in my Top 50 Queue for a while..

Annalie | 168 comments Stones from the Riverby Ursula Hegi is one of the best books I've ever read and I would love to read it again and read everybody's views about it

Shannon Bradley (shannaran) Belladonna by Karen Moline
Typhoid Mary by Anthony Bourdain
The Lives They left Behind by Penney Darby

Sorry, I don't know how to link to them.

Shannon Bradley (shannaran) I just sold my hard copy of that a couple of days ago. It was really good.

Emily | 2 comments I want to read Les Miserables too, but I think taking more than a month is a good idea.

« previous 1 3