Gene Wolfe Fans discussion

Location of the New Sun books: a theory

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Patricio | 1 comments As a great admirer of Borges, an argentine writer, to the point that one chapter is dedicated to him ( Ultan , the archivist of the Citadel,is based on him, who was also blind ), The book of the New Sun, I think is located in Argentina,very far in the future, but with some recognizable places and customes.

For example, the Gyol river finished in a delta. Upstream the river there was a big fall. This is the same as Parana river.

The jungles in the book may be the Amazons.

And some of the characters drinks "mate" a typical infussion from Argentina.

Ryan (mraf) | 3 comments Nice analysis. I think many would agree. The GURPS RPG System had a source book made up so people could play in the New Sun setting. South America was also the speculated location.

http://www.goodreads.com/search?query...

message 3: by Palmyrah (last edited May 21, 2012 05:13AM) (new)

Palmyrah | 7 comments Congratulations, Patricio, you are right!

‘If you read the book carefully, it's clear that the action is taking place in South America and that the invading Ascians are actually North Americans. What I didn't anticipate was that nine tenths of my readers and reviewers would look at the word "Ascian" and say, "Oh, these guys are Asians!"’
– Gene Wolfe

http://www.depauw.edu/sfs/interviews/...

Sadly, there is no prize.

Scott | 2 comments Yeah, I remember there being some little context clues buried within the text - things such as the sun's position in the sky and others could lead a reader to figure that it was definitely in the Southern Hemisphere. There were a few others that has me thinking it was S. America, but I can't call them to mind (haven't read them in several years).

This is, of course, one of the things I love about reading Wolfe. His first-person narrators never spell it all out for you. I know this drives some readers crazy, but I actually enjoy the mental exercise of trying to get into the characters' heads, see things how they see them, and then try to grasp them in my own terms. This seems to be what creates the divide between those who love Gene Wolfe and those who get frustrated with him.

Stephen Palmer (StephenPalmerSF) | 7 comments Authors who make their readers work - an endangered species, alas - do have a hard time of it.

Peachtly | 7 comments Palmyrah wrote: "Congratulations, Patricio, you are right!

‘If you read the book carefully, it's clear that the action is taking place in South America and that the invading Ascians are actually North Americans. W..."

thanks for the link!
so helpful!

unread topics | mark unread