You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Suggestions > Exchanges

Comments (showing 1-50 of 65) (65 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 10895 comments Is anyone interested in doing exchanges?

For example, in one of the groups I belong, we have a secret penpal exchange. One person organized it - collected the names of the people who wanted to participate and "drew" a name for each person. I was given the name and address of my secret penpal by private message and I am now in the process of writing her a letter. When she gets the letter, she will reply. The letter must be hand written. Someone will have my name, and when I receive that letter, I will reply to it.

We could do something like that. Or, we could exchange home made bookmarks, recipes, postcards.

Anyone interested?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it sounds really interesting... I would participate!

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 10895 comments Any others?

Cheryl in CC NV (cherylllr) Sorry. Sounds like fun, but I'm already over-extended.

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 1757 comments Sounds good.

Connie | 3009 comments I really like this idea. Postcards really sound great! They are colorful and don't take much time.

Beth (eparks4232) | 361 comments I like the postcard idea!

Sam | 4 comments That sounds awesome!

message 9: by Almeta (last edited Dec 13, 2012 03:05PM) (new)

Almeta (MenFromMarrs) | 3488 comments Postcards would be fun.

Roz | 886 comments I'm in. Postcards are great. Using postcards from where you live (city, state, province), or if you're on vacation, that would be cool.

message 11: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 10895 comments Does anyone want to take on the task of organizing the exchange?

Beth (eparks4232) | 361 comments I could do it.

message 13: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 10895 comments Thanks Beth - I'll leave this in your hands to organize!

Beth (eparks4232) | 361 comments Ok, anyone who wants to participate needs to send me (via private message) their name that you use for this group and your snail mail address. We'll set the deadline as 12/31/12 midnight eastern time. After that I will match people up and send messages with the addresses to the relevant parties. The exchange will consist of postcards so it isn't expensive, but will give the flavor of where we are from and/or where we are visiting in the New Year. Let's say the deadline to send cards will be 1/15/13. Unless there are objections, we'll go with this plan.

Connie | 3009 comments Thank you, Beth, for getting everything organized! I am really excited about this! Snail mail is fun! ; )

message 16: by AmyK, Moderator (new)

AmyK (Yakyma) | 956 comments Anyone know if there were enough people interested in this?

Connie | 3009 comments Don't know, but I was in.

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 1757 comments Oops, just saw this. Can I participate now?

Beth (eparks4232) | 361 comments Pragya, shoot me a message with your address and then I will do the matches.

Almeta (MenFromMarrs) | 3488 comments Sounds as though it is still going to happen!

message 21: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 10895 comments I'm in.

message 22: by AmyK, Moderator (new)

AmyK (Yakyma) | 956 comments I was in too!!!

Beth (eparks4232) | 361 comments Ok, I messaged everyone I have an address for. If you didn't get a message, contact me quickly!

April | 971 comments When do we mail these? Now? Or is there a certain time?

message 25: by AmyK, Moderator (new)

AmyK (Yakyma) | 956 comments I think the original plan was by 1/15/13, but seeing as how that's like 2 days from now.....can we change it to maybe the 31st?

Beth (eparks4232) | 361 comments sure

message 27: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 10895 comments That works for me.

Connie | 3009 comments good for me

Debra (debra_t) | 2984 comments If anyone else besides me missed this and wants to get involved at this late date, please let me know!

Debra (debra_t) | 2984 comments Debra wrote: "If anyone else besides me missed this and wants to get involved at this late date, please let me know!"

Still interested...

message 31: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 10895 comments Have you had any takers Debra? I'd be interested in sending out another postcard.

Has anyone received their postcard?

Debra (debra_t) | 2984 comments Janice wrote: "Have you had any takers Debra? I'd be interested in sending out another postcard.

Has anyone received their postcard?"

No takers, but I came into the game late. Just thought I'd like to join in if anyone else is also late coming forward.

message 33: by Almeta (last edited Feb 13, 2013 09:15AM) (new)

Almeta (MenFromMarrs) | 3488 comments Janice wrote: "Have you had any takers Debra? I'd be interested in sending out another postcard.

Has anyone received their postcard?"

I haven't received a postcard...but I haven't sent one either!

I spent an unbelievable amount of time just trying to find postcards. Would you believe no one carries them, that I can find. Oh yes, you can get the generic postcard from the post office, but not picture postcards. I guess you have to live in a tourist area to find any. I’ve tried on-line, but those offered are basically of the “antique” variety, for which you pay a lot to be “a collector”.

Dear Sis has found a book of 32 postcards all with the Hindu god Ganesh in art. I guess I will use a few of those, however they really do not represent anything of me nor my life.

Will probably end up downloading a program and making my own!

Roz | 886 comments I received a very nice postcard this week. I also sent one (late). Like you, Almeta, I had trouble finding one. I thought of making one and checked out instructions on how to make one. But I was in the local library one day and discovered a cabinet with library stuff for sale, including postcards (vintage looking). It took a while for someone to find the key. not big sellers, i guess. My city hall used to have postcards commemorating the city, but I'm not sure the still do that.

Debra, I'd love to send you a postcard if you're still interested. Just send me your address.

Snoozie Suzie (SnoozieSuzie) | 951 comments Ill join in. I live by the sea so postcards aplenty

Cherie (crobins0) | 2757 comments I have received two of them but I have not found one to send yet either. I might have to drive to the Portland Airport to find one. I have not been able to locate one in Hillsboro.

message 37: by Debra (last edited Feb 14, 2013 01:02AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 2984 comments It seems our local Barnes and Noble bookstore may have some postcards. You might want to try that, if you have any where you live. I know you can order them online from them.

message 38: by Debra (last edited Feb 14, 2013 01:02AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 2984 comments Roz wrote: "Debra, I'd love to send you a postcard if you're still interested. Just send me your address. "

Wow! That would be awesome. I'll PM you my address.

Debra (debra_t) | 2984 comments Snoozie Suzie wrote: "Ill join in. I live by the sea so postcards aplenty"

Shall we exchange postcards with each other?

Snoozie Suzie (SnoozieSuzie) | 951 comments Cool beans :-)

message 41: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 10895 comments I finally found one at the post office. I used their pen since mine sprouted legs and walked away. Good grief! I struggled with that pen. LOL!

Beth (eparks4232) | 361 comments Glad I wasn't the only one having trouble finding one. I got one from our zoo, but was looking for a more representative one for the area, and found nothing out here in the burbs. So I ended up finally mailing the zoo one. Haven't received mine yet.

Debra (debra_t) | 2984 comments Seems like post cards are a dying breed. Almeta and I are considering making our own.

message 44: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 10895 comments I wonder if it's seasonal too. We don't get a lot of tourists coming through this area until the summer.

Connie | 3009 comments Debra, I will send a postcard again. I have received and sent postcards, but I will do it again.

Debra (debra_t) | 2984 comments Connie wrote: "Debra, I will send a postcard again. I have received and sent postcards, but I will do it again."

Snoozie Suzie and I have agreed to partner up, but I would love to do the same with you, Connie.

Almeta and I were finally able to locate some post cards to send. I'm glad we didn't have to resort to making our own!

Connie | 3009 comments Isn't that the truth! I have postcards.Does Almeta need a pc buddy? I can do both of you.

Debra (debra_t) | 2984 comments I'm pretty sure she has a buddy. Don't think she's received a card this year, tho. I think several people are having the same trouble we had finding post cards.

message 49: by Connie (last edited Feb 19, 2013 11:26PM) (new)

Connie | 3009 comments Ok. You and me. : )
Let me know if she needs a buddy later.

Debra (debra_t) | 2984 comments Cool! I'm doubly-lucky!

« previous 1

You'll love this one...!! A book club & more

unread topics | mark unread