Letters In Cardboard Boxes Letters In Cardboard Boxes discussion

Have you ever found artifacts of someone's life after they've passed away?

Comments (showing 1-12)    post a comment »
dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 12: by Abby (new) - added it

Abby David wrote: "Letters from my father to my mother (then just his girlfriend) during World War II. Scared the heck out of me, how they were so much like letters to girls I had written in my younger days. The ha..."

Wow, you must have had a really strong connection with your father. I rarely hear about people sharing a similar handwriting! You two must have been close.

I hope you cherish those letters always, David.

David Kirk Letters from my father to my mother (then just his girlfriend) during World War II. Scared the heck out of me, how they were so much like letters to girls I had written in my younger days. The handwriting even looked the same.

message 10: by Abby (new) - added it

Abby Cindy wrote: "Abby wrote: "Cindy wrote: "I have quite a few of my grandparents items. One thing I found was all of the cards and letters I had sent them over the years. Cards where I only scribbled before I coul..."

Oh wow! That's adorable. And, must have been so meaningful when you found it :)

Cindy Abby wrote: "Cindy wrote: "I have quite a few of my grandparents items. One thing I found was all of the cards and letters I had sent them over the years. Cards where I only scribbled before I could write my na..."

Yes, it sure does! Another item I found that I didn't expect was a tiny vase, nothing fancy or expensive, but in the bottom of it was a piece of my hair that had been rolled up into a circle (just a little larger than a quarter) with a bobbie pin holding it together. Evidently when my grandmother would give me a haircut when I was young, she saved a 3-4 inch piece. That one really made me cry and it's still in the little vase in the secretary exactly where I found it. I'm a redhead so there was no doubt it was mine! :)

message 8: by Abby (new) - added it

Abby Cindy wrote: "I have quite a few of my grandparents items. One thing I found was all of the cards and letters I had sent them over the years. Cards where I only scribbled before I could write my name. And cards ..."

I love when you think someone has thrown something away, only to find out that they saved everything. It adds such meaning to the exchange, doesn't it?

Cindy I have quite a few of my grandparents items. One thing I found was all of the cards and letters I had sent them over the years. Cards where I only scribbled before I could write my name. And cards when my son was born. I would write them a letter and let my son draw a picture or something to include. I never realized she had saved ALL of them! It was quite a tearful time reading them but good tears, I guess.

message 6: by Abby (new) - added it

Abby Gwen wrote: "I found my great grandmother's dictionary a couple of years back. There is a bit of a mystery since the name on the back of the cover is another relative that I've never heard of. I haven't really ..."

I really like your examples, Gwen. On the one hand, you have an object with such mystery that you could use with or without knowing its history. The Rook deck, however, seems loaded with rich history between you and your great grandmother. The sort of object that you can pass down with a story full of memories. Very interesting.

Gwen I found my great grandmother's dictionary a couple of years back. There is a bit of a mystery since the name on the back of the cover is another relative that I've never heard of. I haven't really done too much digging yet. I also have my great grandmother's Rook deck. She taught me how to play, so when she passed that was the first thing that came to mind. When I'm feeling down I usually find them and it reminds me of how strong and entertaining she was.

Dhfan4life You are so right Abby. As the only stories I get from my mom are the negative ones about him. And my uncle would just tell stories about how he would have them make their beds so thoroughly that he would expect a quarter to bounce off of it. And that he used to listen to religious music a lot too. Beyond that I haven't a clue about much else. And who knows how many more secrets would be found after my parents pass too as they only tell select stories about their past as well. Job stories from my dad and mostly family stuff from my mom a bit. But nothing from like when she was my age which is 24 right now. Although I think she hinted at having an abortion when she was dating one guy or something. But she has never really confirmed it and I wouldn't want to press about something like that.

message 3: by Abby (new) - added it

Abby Dhfan4life wrote: "Um I didn't find letters or anything. But I did find a ring that my grandfather wore. He died before I was born so I never got to know him like my cousins did. And my mom has told me more than enou..."

Thank you for sharing this story. It sounds like there are many questions that remain about your grandfather's life, many of which focus on this ring in particular. I guess sometimes finding these things can lead to more questions than answers...

Dhfan4life Um I didn't find letters or anything. But I did find a ring that my grandfather wore. He died before I was born so I never got to know him like my cousins did. And my mom has told me more than enough stories of his adultry and mean spiritedness. So I still have questions about whether he wore that ring often or not. And only my grandmother told me it was his and let me keep it. But she never elaborated on if it was something he wore often or not. Or if she ever gave it to him. She passed away several years ago so the secrets still reside with her.

message 1: by Abby (new) - added it

Abby Letters In Cardboard Boxes has as one of its prominent themes the idea that the remnants of a person's past (letters, photos, or objects) can be misunderstood, fractured, or even lost entirely if not passed on properly to his/her survivors.

Are there examples of this in your own life, of finding artifacts of someone's life after they have passed? How did it feel to find these artifacts? Were there any mysteries that were solved as a result? Are there questions that still remain?

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Letters In Cardboard Boxes (other topics)