Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2011 Challenge Archive > The 4 Elements Challenge

Comments (showing 1-50 of 253) (253 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Mojca (last edited Jun 29, 2011 10:24AM) (new)

Mojca | 890 comments Want to try a new challenge with me?

It took me a while to gather the courage to "invent" a reading challenge of my own, and a little while longer to concoct the categories and "rules", but I finally decided to give this one a try.

We all know the 4 basic elements (earth, water, fire and air), why don't we also try and find books that could fit them (very loosely).

Title: (Read) The 4 Elements
Duration: July 1 - December 31, 2011
Categories: cover/setting/character
Books to read: 4, 8, 12 or 16

EARTH
1. Cover:
   1.1 Read a book with a predominately green or brown cover.
   1.2 Read a book with a field, forest/greenery/thick foliage (jungle, meadow etc.) or sandy dunes/desert on its cover (it has to be a predominant feature!).

2. Setting:
   2.1 Read a book set on a farm or ranch, in the forest/jungle, in the desert or in northern countries (Northern hemisphere for those living in the southern one, Scandinavia, Russia, Canada, northern USA etc.).
   2.2 Read a book set in winter.

3. Character:
   3.1 Read a book featuring a heroine that is a mother or grandmother.
   3.2 Read a book featuring a heroine that is a cook, chef and/or baker.
   3.3 Read a book with a main character that is a potter, speleologist or works with rocks, minerals or crystals.
   3.4 Read a book with a main character that is a “protector” (police officer, bodyguard etc.).
   3.5 Read a book with a passive heroine (kick-ass chicks need not apply).

WATER
1. Cover:
   1.1 Read a book with a predominately blue or black cover.
   1.2 Read a book with a body of water (sea, lake, river etc.), fountain/cascade/etc., or a rainy-scene on its cover (it has to be a predominant feature!).

2. Setting:
   2.1 Read a book set on (or beside) a sea or lake, on an island or in the “western” countries (a western/American frontier historical is allowed, though not encouraged).
   2.2 Read a book set in autumn.

3. Character:
   3.1 Read a book with a main character that works with/in water (marine biologist, diver, ship captain, Coast Guard officer, sailor etc.).
   3.2 Read a book with a main character that is in the “cleaning” profession (laundress, cleaning lady, owns a dry cleaning business etc.) or is an entrepreneur, business tycoon etc.
   3.3 Read a book with a strong heroine.

FIRE
1. Cover:
   1.1 Read a book with a predominately red, orange, pink or purple cover.
   1.2 Read a book with a fire on cover (it has to be a predominant feature!).
   1.3 Read a book with a firefighter/fire-engine on cover.

2. Setting:
   2.1 Read a book set in a fire house or any other setting associate with firefighters and fire (smack in the middle of a wild fire, for example) or in the southern countries (Southern hemisphere for those living in northern one, Latin America, Africa, southern USA states etc.).
   2.2 Read a book set in summer.

3. Character:
   3.1 Read a book with a main character that is a fireman, arson investigator etc.
   3.2 Read a book with a strong hero (the more Alpha the better).
   3.3 Read an erotic book.
   3.4 Read a young adult book.

AIR
1. Cover:
   1.1 Read a book with a predominately yellow, white or light-blue cover.
   1.2 Read a book with the sky, wind/twister etc. on cover (it has to be a predominant feature!).
   1.3 Read a book with a plane/pilot, balloon etc. on cover.

2. Setting:
   2.1 Read a book set on a plane, high in the mountains or in the East (middle-East or far-East).
   2.2 Read a book set in spring.

3. Character:
   3.1 Read a book with a main character that is a pilot, airman, parachute, sky-diver, world-traveler/globetrotter etc. or a braniac, scientist, science teacher, intellectual etc.
   3.2 Read a book with a passive hero (Beta all the way).
   3.3 Read a second-chances book.

BONUS : TITLE&COVER CONCOCTION—read a book where an element is repeated both on cover and in the title)
   EARTHfield, forest/greenery/thick foliage or sandy dunes/desert on cover and word “EARTH” in the title
   WATERbody of water, fountain, rainy scene etc. on cover and word “WATER” in the title
   FIREfire, firefighter, fire-engine on cover and word “FIRE” in the title
   AIRsky, wind, plane/pilot, balloon etc. on cover and word “AIR” in the title

You can mix and match in the category department or you can do only the bonus (but the minimum required is still 4 books). Here are the "difficulty levels".

Apprentice (4 books): read one book for each element (one category per element)
Concoctionist (8 books): read two books for each element (two—different!—categories per element, no repeating)
Transmuter (12 books): read three books for each element (all three categories in an element - one book for each category)

Alchemist (4 books): read all four bonus books

Master Alchemist (8 books): (apprentice + alchemist) read one book for each element and the four bonus books
Grand Alchemist (12 books): (concoctionist + achemist) read two books for each element and the four bonus books

And for the really sturdy types...
Genius Alchemist (16 books): (transmuter + alchemist) read three books for each element (a book for each category) and the four bonus books

"Rules":
- ebooks, audiobooks, paperback, hardcovers are allowed (but let's keep the page-count above 70 pages - print or digital, shall we?)
- re-reads are fine if you actually re-read the whole book (no skipping the annoying parts)
- no repeating books between elements (or categories for that matter) - each element/category has to have an "unique" book

Did I forget anything? Let me know...And if there's something "iffy" ask away.

I really hope you'll join me in reading the four elements.

For those searching for suggestions for books to fit the categories, you can browse here.

Vi | 1917 comments Hey Mojca, great categories for your first challenge. Loving it. I'm in.

It is difficult choosing which level though :( I think I will go for Transmuter or the Genius Alchemist(depending if I can get the all the four books for Bonus!)

Mojca | 890 comments Hey, Vi, thanks for stopping by, I was afraid I would be by my lonesome here.

As for the difficulty level. I'd suggest to start with the easier one and then upgrade. That's what I'll do.

Mojca | 890 comments Well, I cannot resist a challenge, even if I'm the one who made it up. ;)
And I cannot resist making such a challenge challenging, so I'm aiming for the big leagues and going for the Genius Alchemist level. Let's see, how it goes.

List (as always) subject to change...

0/16

EARTH
1.1 - predominately green or brown cover: Calista's Men by Jori Strong
2.1 - farm/forest/desert/North setting: Dead Ringer by Mary Burton (also set in Alaska)
3.5 - passive heroine: Hotter Than Wildfire by Lisa Marie Rice

Calista's Men (Crime Tells, #3) by Jory Strong Dead Ringer by Mary Burton Hotter Than Wildfire  A Protectors Novel by Lisa Marie Rice

WATER
1.1 - predominately blue or black cover: French Twist by Roxanne St. Claire
2.1 - "water"/island/West setting: Tropical Getaway by Roxanne St. Claire (isle of St. Barts)
3.3 - strong heroine: Don't Look Now by Linda Lael Miller

French Twist by Roxanne St. Claire Tropical Getaway by Roxanne St. Claire Don't Look Now by Linda Lael Miller

FIRE
1.1 - predominately red, orange, pink or purple cover: Deadly Dreams by Kylie Brant
2.1 - "fire"/South setting: One Last Look by Linda Lael Miller (set also in Arizona and Mexico)
3.1 - firefighter/arson investigator/etc. character: Blue Smoke by Nora Roberts

Deadly Dreams by Kylie Brant One Last Look by Linda Lael Miller Blue Smoke by Nora Roberts

AIR
1.1 - predominately yellow, white or light-blue cover: Never Look Back by Linda Lael Miller
2.1 - plane/mountains/East setting: TBD
OR
2.2 - spring setting: TBD
3.3 - second chances: Gabriel's Mate by Tina Folsom

Never Look Back by Linda Lael Miller ? Gabriel's Mate (Scanguards Vampires, #3) by Tina Folsom

BONUS:
EARTH: The Pillars of the *Earth* by Ken Follett
WATER: *Water* Bound by Christine Feehan
FIRE: Chasing *Fire* by Nora Roberts
AIR: Love in the *Air* by James Collins

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1) by Christine Feehan Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts Love in the Air by James Collins

message 5: by Dee, Moderator (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6945 comments i'll probably be in but won't be starting until after august when my huge exam for my phd is done - so i'll wait to sign up

Shell | 577 comments Hmmmmmm Interesting Challenge! Let me look into this more before I commit.

Mojca | 890 comments Dee wrote: "i'll probably be in but won't be starting until after august when my huge exam for my phd is done - so i'll wait to sign up"

It lasts for 6 months, Dee (until the end of the year), so you'll have plenty of time to do it. And the "littlest" difficulty is for only 4 books.

No pressure. ;)

Shell wrote: "Hmmmmmm Interesting Challenge! Let me look into this more before I commit."

Look as long as you like, Shell.
And there's no "commitment" involved. There's absolutely not pressure in finishing any of the difficulty levels. Reading is supposed to be fun, right?

Though, some of those categories are pretty easy. ;)

Amanda D. (Tinyminx) | 307 comments Great challenge, Mojca! I'll definitely do my best to participate.

message 9: by Vi (last edited Jun 28, 2011 09:37PM) (new)

Vi | 1917 comments Mojca, question: What is a western country exactly? Being in the East, most of the books (for me) are set in the west. Does that sound right? And can beach be considered a "water" word?

Mojca | 890 comments Yep, "western" countries are considered exactly that. Anything west of you, but not a neighboring country or a western country on the same continent.

Example: if you live in Europe, the American continent would constitute a "western" country; Asia = Europe (or western Europe if you're in Russia or any Asian country neighboring Europe), America; same for Australia etc.

I tried to be as clear as possible as far as “compass directions” explanations went, but I found West the most tricky.

message 11: by Barbara ★ (last edited Jul 12, 2011 06:37PM) (new)

Barbara ★ | 2361 comments READ: 2/16 (Genius Alchemist)
EARTH
Cover 1.2: The Land of Painted Caves - Jean Auel
Setting 2.1: High Country Bride (McKettrick Cowboys, #1) - Linda Lael Miller
Character 3.1: Amazon Ink - Lori Devoti
Bonus: The Book of Earth - Marjorie Kellogg
The Land of Painted Caves (Earth's Children, #6) by Jean M. Auel High Country Bride (McKettrick Cowboys, #1) (McKettricks, #1) by Linda Lael Miller Amazon Ink (Amazon, #1) by Lori Devoti The Book of Earth (Dragon Quartet, #1) by Marjorie B. Kellogg

WATER
Cover 1.2: Deep Kiss of Winter - Kresley Cole/Gena Showalter
Setting 2.1: Tsunami Blue - Gayle Williams
Character 3.3: Vanished - Kat Richardson
Bonus: Silent Waters - Jan Coffey
Deep Kiss of Winter (Includes  Immortals After Dark, #8; Alien Huntress, #4.5) by Kresley Cole Tsunami Blue by Gayle Ann Williams Vanished (Greywalker, #4) by Kat Richardson Silent Waters by Jan Coffey

FIRE
Cover 1.2: Burning Alive - Shannon Butcher
Setting 2.1: Hidden Fire - Jo Davis
Character 3.4: Torment - Lauren Kate 7/2
BONUS: Born of Fire - Sherrilyn Kenyon
Burning Alive (Sentinel Wars, #1) by Shannon K. Butcher Hidden Fire (Firefighters of Station Five, #3) by Jo Davis Torment (Fallen, #2) by Lauren Kate Born of Fire (The League, #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

AIR
Cover 1.2: Ill Wind - Rachel Caine 7/4
Setting 2.1: On Bear Mountain - Deborah Smith
Character 3.1: Gideon's Sword - Preston/Child
BONUS: TBD
Ill Wind (Weather Warden, #1) by Rachel Caine On Bear Mountain by Deborah Smith Gideon's Sword (Gideon Crew #1) by Douglas Preston

message 12: by Laurie (last edited Sep 12, 2011 10:42PM) (new)

Laurie Martin | 304 comments I'm in, will post as I go!

Earth
Cover:
Setting: Katherine Long - Olkahoma Gold
Character: J. Mark Bertrand - Back on Murder
BONUS:

Water
Cover:
Setting: Ngaio Marsh - Singing in the Shrouds
Character: Karen Rose - Die for Me
BONUS:

Fire
Cover: Sandra Hill - Tall, Dark and Cajun
Setting:
Character:
BONUS:

Air
Cover: Sandra Brown - White Hot
Setting: Linda Howard - Up Close and Dangerous
Character:
BONUS:

White Hot by Sandra Brown Back on Murder by J. Mark Bertrand Up Close and Dangerous by Linda Howard Singing In The Shrouds (A Roderick Alleyn Mystery) by Ngaio Marsh Die For Me (book #7) (Daniel Vartanian, #1) by Karen Rose Oklahoma's Gold by Kathryn Long Tall, Dark, and Cajun (Cajun, #2) by Sandra Hill

Lauren Willshire (LillyOBrian) | 64 comments Can the books be part of other challanges? I know in most cases this is acceptable but I wanted to double check before I start picking my books :) Thanks

Lauren Willshire (LillyOBrian) | 64 comments Genius Alchemist :) I am so in!!!

Mojca | 890 comments Lauren wrote: "Can the books be part of other challanges? I know in most cases this is acceptable but I wanted to double check before I start picking my books :) Thanks"

Of course, Lauren.

message 16: by Dee, Moderator (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6945 comments Mojca - do you want to start a thread for suggestions or the like? or happy to just do it here

Mojca | 890 comments Good idea, Dee...the suggestion thread is up and running.

❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥ | 660 comments im in and I will post as I go

D.G. | 3760 comments I'm in. :)

message 20: by Katie (last edited Jul 04, 2011 12:02AM) (new)

Katie | 1442 comments Genius Alchemist
6/16 read

Earth:
1. Cover - The Letter Z - 7/2
2. Setting - Bareback Cowboy - 7/3
3. Character - The White Knight - 7/1
BONUS - Salt of the…Earth

Water:
1. Cover - Letting Go - 7/3
2. Setting - Transit
3. Character - Why Nileas Loved the Sea
BONUS - The Valde: Water

Fire:
1. Cover - The Pro
2. Setting - Nice: Joys of the Season, An On Fire Christmas
3. Character - Man Candy
BONUS - On Fire II: Still Burning

Air:
1. Cover - Dream Mate - 7/1
2. Setting - Spring
3. Character - Hue, Tint and Shade - 7/2
BONUS - Dance Upon the Air

message 21: by Betelgeuze (last edited Aug 27, 2011 12:26AM) (new)

Betelgeuze | 40 comments I really should not join another challenge, but I like this one, so i'm in for 12 books.

Read 9/12

Preliminary list:

Earth:
1.1 cover: Zombies Sold Separately
2.1 Setting: A Flash of Hex
3.1 Character: Amazon Ink

Zombies Sold Separately (Night Tracker, #4) by Cheyenne McCray A Flash of Hex (OSI, #2) by Jes Battis Amazon Ink (Amazon, #1) by Lori Devoti

Water
1.1 Cover: Infernal Affairs
2.1 Setting: One Salt Sea
3.3 Character:Blood Wyne

Infernal Affairs (OSI #4) by Jes Battis One Salt Sea (October Daye #5) by Seanan McGuire Blood Wyne (Sisters of the Moon, #9) by Yasmine Galenorn

Fire
1.2 Cover: Firewalker
2.1 Setting: Spider's Bite
3.2 Character: Archangel's Blade

Firewalker (Stormwalker, #2) by Allyson James Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1) by Jennifer Estep Archangel's Blade (Guild Hunter, #4) by Nalini Singh

Air
1.2 Cover: Stormwalker
2.1 Setting: Night Watch
3.3 Character: Ghost Story

Stormwalker (Stormwalker, #1) by Allyson James Night Watch (Watch, #1) by Sergei Lukyanenko Ghost Story (The Dresden Files,  #13) by Jim Butcher

message 22: by Shell (last edited Jul 17, 2011 09:53PM) (new)

Shell | 577 comments I'm in for Concoctionist to start.

July 1 - Dec 31, 2011

2/8 Finished

EARTH
2.1 Setting: The Art of Seducing a Naked Werewolf
3.4 Character:When You Dare
The Art of Seducing a Naked Werewolf (Naked Werewolf, #2) by Molly Harper When You Dare (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #1) by Lori Foster

WATER
1.2 Cover: Mercy 3 stars July 17, 2011
3.1 Character:Undertow
Mercy by Julie Garwood Undertow (Cutter Cay #1) by Cherry Adair

FIRE

1.1 Cover: Maybe This Time
3.1 Character: Wild Heat
Maybe This Time by Jennifer Crusie Wild Heat (Hot Shots  Men of Fire #1) by Bella Andre

AIR

1.1 Cover: Vision in White 3 stars July 16, 2011
3.3 Character:Second Chance
Vision in White (Bride Quartet, #1) by Nora Roberts Second Chance by Jane Green

Crystal S (CrystalAnn) | 129 comments I'm in. Will have to pick my books later when I have a computer that works. I'm not sure how many I'll aim for, but I'm an overachiever so I'm sure it will be the Genius Alchemist level. LOL

Nikki ♥ | 1173 comments Great challenge, Mojca. I'm in but probably only in as an Apprentice. I'll post as I go.

Diane ~Firefly~ | 876 comments I'm going to try for Concoctionist level.

message 26: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Jul 06, 2011 08:44AM) (new)

Fran | 6824 comments Fun challenge Mojca- I'm in for Concoctionist :)
1/8 Completed

Earth-
2.1-Setting- Chasin' Eight
3.1-Character- Housewife for Rent/Husband for Hire

Water-
1.1-Cover- Fade
2.1-Setting- Beauty Queens

Fire-
1.1-Cover- Mistress of the Night
3.4-YA- Hush, Hush 7/2

Air-
1.2-Cover with sky- Sno Ho
3.2-Character- The Ghost on My Couch

Erin H | 710 comments Very interesting challenge...I'll have to figure out books before I decide what I want to do!!

taita | 244 comments I'm a sucker for challenges, and this one sounds like fun! Count me in. I'll go for Concoctionist. Will post as I go.

message 29: by Deyara (last edited Nov 29, 2011 12:34AM) (new)

Deyara | 60 comments The 4 Elements

Duration: July 1 - Dec 31, 2011

Level: Genius Alchemist

Complete: 16/16

Earth

Cover: Brown - Truthseeker by C.E. Murphy ★★★★ Oct 27, 2011
Setting: Winter - Desires of the Dead by Kimberly Derting ★★★★ Aug 11, 2011
Character: Protector - Servant: The Acceptance by LL Foster ★★★★ Aug 29, 2011
BONUS:Heaven and Earth by Nora Roberts ★★★ Nov 16, 2011
Truthseeker (Worldwalker Duology #1) by C.E. Murphy Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder, #2) by Kimberly Derting Servant  The Acceptance (Servant Series, Book #2) by L.L. Foster Heaven and Earth (Three Sisters Island trilogy #2) by Nora Roberts

Water

Cover: Black - Freefall by Mindi Scott ★★★★ Jul 10, 2011
Setting: set on (or beside) a sea or lake - And One Last Thing ... by Molly Harper ★★★.5 Jul 5, 2011
Character:Shakespeare's Trollop by Charlaine Harris ★★★★★ Nov 17, 2011
BONUS:Troubled Waters by Sharon Shinn ★★★★ Nov 03, 2011
Freefall by Mindi Scott And One Last Thing ... by Molly Harper Shakespeare's Trollop (A Lily Bard Mystery, #4) by Charlaine Harris Troubled Waters by Sharon Shinn

Fire

Cover: Purple - Nightshade by Andrea Cremer ★★★ Jul 8, 2011
Setting: in the middle of a wild fireThe Gathering by Kelley Armstrong ★★★★ Aug 13, 2011
Character: YA book - Huntress by Malinda Lo ★★★★ Jul 22, 2011
BONUS:Trial by Fire by Jo Davis ★★★ Oct 08, 2011
Nightshade (Nightshade, #1) by Andrea Cremer The Gathering (Darkness Rising, #1) by Kelley Armstrong Huntress by Malinda Lo Trial by Fire (Firefighters of Station Five, #1) by Jo Davis

Air

Cover: White - Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion ★★★ Aug 16, 2011
Setting: "East" - Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles ★★★★ Nov 20, 2011
Character: Second chances - Sun, Sand, Sex by Linda Lael Miller, Jennifer Apodaca, Shelley Laurenston ★★★ Jul 23, 2011
BONUS:Dance Upon the Air by Nora Roberts ★★★★ Oct 07, 2011
Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion Rules of Attraction (Perfect Chemistry, #2) by Simone Elkeles Sun, Sand, Sex (includes The Long Island Coven, #1) by Linda Lael Miller Dance Upon the Air (Three Sisters Island trilogy #1) by Nora Roberts

message 30: by Emily (last edited Sep 19, 2011 09:01PM) (new)

Emily | 110 comments 0/16

Earth
Cover:Storms Interlude by Vonnie Davis 8/6
Setting: Home Sweet Texas Home by Caroline Clemmens 7/4
Character: Three Reasons Why by Mari Carr 7/14
BONUS: Shattered by Joan Jonston 9/1
Home Sweet Texas Home by Caroline Clemmons Three Reasons Why (The Madison Stories, #2) by Mari Carr Shattered (Bitter Creek, #8) by Joan Johnston

Water
Cover: Desire by Amanda Quick 7/13
Setting: Take Me by Bella Andre 7/23
Character: Italian Boss, Housekeeper Bride by Sharon Kendrick 7/12
BONUS: Adrift by Amber Skyze 8/15
Italian Boss, Housekeeper Bride (Harlequin Presents, #2687) by Sharon Kendrick Desire by Amanda Quick Adrift by Amber Skyze Take Me (Take Me #1) by Bella Andre

Fire
Cover: Pleasure Bound by Opal Carew 7/20
Setting:Up a Dry Creek by Avery Flynn 7/21
Character: Flashback by Jill Shalvis 8/3
BONUS: Trial by Fire by Jo Davis 7/22
Pleasure Bound by Opal Carew UP A DRY CREEK (Dry Creek #1) by Avery Flynn Flashback (Harlequin Blaze, #416) by Jill Shalvis Trial by Fire (Firefighters of Station Five, #1) by Jo Davis

Air
Cover: Glass Angels by Karen Wiesner
Setting: Too Hot to Touch by Louisa Ewards
Character: Up closse and Personal by Linda Howard
BONUS: Up Close and Dangerous by Linda Howard Too Hot To Touch (Rising Star Chef, #1) by Louisa Edwards

Samantha | 720 comments Sounds like a fun challenge. I have to think about joining in on the fun.

message 32: by Gen (last edited Dec 31, 2011 01:28AM) (new)

Gen (Gen454) | 282 comments The 4 Elements Challenge
July 1 - December 31, 2011

Genius Alchemist

Completed

Earth

1.1 Retribution by Sherrilyn Kenyon 12.21.11
2.1 Single White Vampire by Lynsay Sands 07.13.11
3.1 The Defiant Hero by Suzanne Brockmann 12.23.11
Bonus The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett 12.28.11

Retribution (Dark-Hunter, #20) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Single White Vampire (Argeneau, #3) by Lynsay Sands The Defiant Hero (Troubleshooters, #2) by Suzanne Brockmann The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

Water

1.1 You and No Other by Cathy Maxwell 12.28.11
2.1 Sea Lord by Virginia Kantra 08.18.11
3.1 Sleeping with the Fishes by MaryJanice Davidson 08.12.11
Bonus Fish Out of Water by MaryJanice Davidson 10.06.11

You and No Other by Cathy Maxwell Sea Lord (Children of the Sea, #3) by Virginia Kantra Sleeping with the Fishes (Fred the Mermaid, #1) by MaryJanice Davidson Fish Out of Water (Fred the Mermaid, #3) by MaryJanice Davidson

Fire

1.1 Bitten by Kelley Armstrong 07.19.11
2.1 French Quarter by Lacey Alexander 09.15.11
3.3 Delicious by Shayla Black 11.20.11
Bonus Playing with Fire by Katie MacAlister 08.08.11

Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong French Quarter (Hot in the City, #1) by Lacey Alexander Delicious (Wicked Lovers, #3) by Shayla Black Playing With Fire (Silver Dragons, #1) by Katie MacAlister

Air

1.1 Caressed by Ice by Nalini Singh 09.11.11
2.1 Master of the Abyss by Cherise Sinclair 09.14.11
3.3 Ravished by Amanda Quick 09.02.11
Bonus Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones 11.28.11

Caressed By Ice (Psy-Changeling, #3) by Nalini Singh Master of the Abyss (Mountain Masters #2) by Cherise Sinclair Ravished by Amanda Quick Le chateau des nuages by Diana Wynne Jones

message 33: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8918 comments Great concept, Mojca.

I'm going to move this to the 'Other Challenge' folder.

Mojca | 890 comments Woohoo! Thanks, Yz.

message 35: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 8707 comments Hey Mojca - sounds fun! I'm in as either an apprentice or concoctionist. I'll work it out over the new few days :)

(For some reason when I saw this the other day I thought The Four Elements was a buddy read book, so hadn't opened the thread!!)

message 36: by Laura (last edited Sep 30, 2011 11:45AM) (new)

Laura | 128 comments im in...i will go with Transmuter (12 books):

10/12

EARTH
1. Cover:Read a book with a predominately green or brown cover - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
2. Setting:Read a book set on a farm or ranch, in the forest/jungle, in the desert or in northern countries (Northern hemisphere for those living in the southern one, Scandinavia, Russia, Canada, northern USA etc.). - Unveiled 09/24 *****
3. Character:Read a book with a main character that is a “protector” -
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling Unveiled (Turner, #1) by Courtney Milan

WATER
1. Cover:Read a book with a predominately blue or black cover - Blue Moon 07/05 **
2. Setting:Read a book set on (or beside) a sea or lake, on an island or in the “western” countries (a western/American frontier historical is allowed, though not encouraged) - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 07/06/ ****
3. Character:Read a book with a strong heroine - Halfway to the Grave 07/19 *****
Blue Moon (The Immortals, #2) by Alyson Noel Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost

FIRE
1. Cover:Read a book with a predominately red, orange, pink or purple cover - Shadowland 07/20 ***
2. Setting:Read a book set in summer - City of Bones 07/30 ***
3. Character: Read a young adult book - Hex Hall 09/06 *****
Shadowland (The Immortals, #3) by Alyson Noel City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins

AIR
1. Cover:Read a book with a predominately yellow, white or light-blue cover - Darkly Dreaming Dexter 08/09 ****
2. Setting:Read a book set in spring - My Blood Approves 09/04 **
3.Character:Read a book with a main character that is a pilot, airman, parachute, sky-diver, world-traveler/globetrotter etc. or a braniac, scientist, science teacher, intellectual etc -Goddess of the Sea 07/11 *****
Darkly Dreaming Dexter (Dexter, #1) by Jeff Lindsay My Blood Approves (My Blood Approves, #1) by Amanda Hocking Goddess of the Sea (Goddess Summoning, #1) by P.C. Cast

Someoneyouknow | 555 comments I'm definitely in. Will choose the categories in a few days.

message 38: by Lisa Kay (last edited Jul 04, 2011 07:57PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 1877 comments I'm in! At a friend's house so will post later. Great challenge! :)

message 39: by Lisa Kay (last edited Aug 10, 2011 04:37AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 1877 comments ~ Genius Alchemist ~ - Updated 8/10/11

11/16

EARTH
Cover: 1.1 – green/brown cover: Twisted Creek, by Jodi Thomas ★★★★✩ PB 7/2
Setting: 2.1 – set on a ranch: The Tenderfoot Bride, by Cheryl St.John ★★★★½ PB 7/29
Character: 3.4 – police officer: The Babes in the Wood, by Ruth Rendell ★★★☆☆ OD audio 7/2
Bonus: Heaven and Earth, by Nora Roberts OD audio
Twisted Creek by Jodi Thomas The Tenderfoot Bride by Cheryl St.John The Babes in the Wood  An Inspector Wexford Mystery by Ruth Rendell Heaven and Earth (Three Sisters Island trilogy #2) by Nora Roberts

WATER
Cover: 1.1 – blue cover: One Whisper Away, by Emma Wildes★★★★✩ PB 7/24
Setting: 2.1 – "water"/lake/setting: Honor's Splendour, by Julie Garwood ★★★★½ PB 7/17
Character: 3.3 – strong heroine: The Bride, by Julie Garwood ★★★★★ MyiLibrary audio 7/30
Bonus: Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen OD audio
or Water Bound, by Christine Feehan OD audio
or Watership Down, by Richard Adams
One Whisper Away (Ladies in Waiting, #1) by Emma Wildes Honor's Splendour by Julie Garwood The Bride (Lairds' Fiancées, #1) by Julie Garwood Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1) by Christine Feehan Watership Down by Richard Adams

FIRE
Cover: 1.1 – pink cover: Sugar Daddy, by Lisa Kleypas ★★★★★ OD audio 8/6
Setting: 2.2 – set in summer: The Journey Home , by Linda Ford; ★★★★☆ Kindle 7/22
Character: 3.1 – firefighter/arson investigator: Blue Smoke, Nora Roberts OD audio
Bonus: Chasing Fire, by Nora Roberts ★★★★ ½ OD audio 7/25
Sugar Daddy by Lisa Kleypas The Journey Home (Depression Series #2) (Steeple Hill Love Inspired Historical #14) by Linda Ford Blue Smoke  by Nora Roberts Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts

AIR
Cover: 1.1 – yellow cover: A Clash of Kings, by George R.R. Martin ★★★★★ PB 7/21
Setting: 2.2 – set in spring: Caroline and the Raider, by Linda Lael Miller★★★★½ PB 7/28
Character: 3.1 – world-traveler/globetrotter: Scoundrel, by Zoe Archer (PB)
Bonus: Dance Upon the Air, by Nora Roberts OD audio
A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) by George R.R. Martin Caroline and the Raider (Orphan Train, #3) by Linda Lael Miller Scoundrel (The Blades of  the Rose, #2) by Zoe Archer Dance Upon the Air (Three Sisters Island trilogy #1) by Nora Roberts

Judy | 141 comments I'm going to give this one a try. I think I'll start with Concoctionist (8 books), I'll post when I pick my books. Great challenge, Mojca!

message 41: by Wan (last edited Jul 09, 2011 12:20PM) (new)

Wan  (WanWaddell) | 2081 comments The 4 Elements
July 1 - December 31, 2011
4/12

Genius Alchemist

EARTH
1. Cover: 1.1 brown cover: Warrior by Angela Knight 7/6 (4)
2. Setting:
3. Character: Passive Heroine: Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh 7/6 (4)

Warrior (Time Hunters, #1) by Angela Knight TBD Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini Singh

WATER
1. Cover: 1.1 Blue/black Cover: Devil May Cry by Sherrilyn Kenyon
2. Setting: 2.1 Set in FL's Gulf Coast Engaged to the Sheik by Sue Swift 7/3 (3)
3. Character:

Devil May Cry (Dark-Hunter, #12) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Engaged To The Sheik (Silhouette Romance) by Sue Swift

FIRE
1. Cover: 1.1 Red cover: The Accidental Demon Slayer by Angie Fox
2. Setting:
3. Character: 3.4 YA book: – I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore 7/2 (4)

The Accidental Demon Slayer (Demon Slayer, #1) by Angie Fox TBD I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies #1) by Pittacus Lore

AIR
1. Cover:
2. Setting:
3. Character:

message 42: by Amanda (last edited Jul 14, 2011 09:47PM) (new)

Amanda D. (Tinyminx) | 307 comments The Four Elements
Categories: cover/setting/character
Goal: Genius Alchemist

Earth: 1
Water: 3
Fire: 2
Air: 3
Bonus: 0

Total: 9/16

EARTH

1. Cover:
2. Setting:
3. Character - 3.2: Baker as occupation - Goddess of Spring by P.C. Cast [7/9]

Goddess of Spring (Goddess Summoning, #2) by P.C. Cast

WATER

1. Cover - 1.2: Body of water - Once and Always by Judith McNaught [7/3]
2. Setting: - 2.1: Western country – Italy - Rises The Night by Colleen Gleason [7/11]
3. Character - 3.3: Kick-ass heroine - Gabriel's Ghost by Linnea Sinclair [7/7]

Once and Always (Sequels #1) by Judith McNaught Rises The Night (Gardella Vampire Chronicles, #2) by Colleen Gleason Gabriel's Ghost (Dock Five Universe, #1) by Linnea Sinclair

FIRE

1. Cover - 1.1: Pink/purple cover - Scandal in Spring by Lisa Kleypas [7/4]
2. Setting - 2.1: Southern state - Georgia - Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews [7/13]
3. Character:

Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4) by Lisa Kleypas Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2) by Ilona Andrews

AIR

1. Cover:
- 1.2: Light blue cover - The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley [7/12]
2. Setting: - 2.1: Mountain setting - Unearthly by Cynthia Hand [7/15]
3. Character - 3.3: Second chances - Cruel Enchantment by Anya Bast [7/4]

The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Highland Pleasures, #1) by Jennifer Ashley Unearthly (Unearthly, #1) by Cynthia Hand Cruel Enchantment (Dark Magick #2) by Anya Bast

BONUS: TITLE&COVER CONCOCTION
EARTH
WATER
FIRE
AIR

Tina "coffee and books" (tinar1121) | 1023 comments I'm in. I think I'll go for Concoctionist. Wish me luck!

Be back soon with my choices.

message 44: by Tina "coffee and books" (last edited Sep 06, 2011 07:11AM) (new)

Tina "coffee and books" (tinar1121) | 1023 comments Concoctionist 7/8 COMPLETED

EARTH
Setting 2.1: Seduced by a Highlander by Paula Quinn 7/5 ****
Character 3.2: She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy by Cara North 7/3 ****

WATER
Setting 2.2: Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off by Cara North 7/2 ****
Character 3.3: Moon Called by Patricia Briggs 7/22 ****

FIRE
Cover 1.1: Undead and Unfinished by MaryJanice Davidson
Character 3.3: Chasin' Eight by Lorelei James 7/7 *****

AIR
Cover 1.1: The Ghost Shrink, the Accidental Gigolo, & the Poltergeist Accountant by Vivi Andrews 8/28 ***
Character 3.3: Cook County: Second Chance Cowboy by Crystal-Rain Love 9/5 ***

TO BE READ
Undead and Unfinished (Undead, #9) by MaryJanice Davidson

READ
She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy (Country Music Collection, #2) by Cara North Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off by Cara North Seduced by a Highlander (Children of the Mist, #2) by Paula Quinn Chasin' Eight (Rough Riders, #11) by Lorelei James Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs The Ghost Shrink, the Accidental Gigolo, & the Poltergeist Accountant (Karmic Consultants, #1) by Vivi Andrews Cook County  Second Chance Cowboy (Cook County, Colorado) by Crystal-Rain Love

Nikki ♥ | 1173 comments The 4 Elements Challenge
July 1, 2011-December 31, 2011
1/4

Earth
1. Cover:
2. Setting:
3. Character:

Water
1. Cover:
2. Setting:
3. Character:
The Vision by Heather Graham 7/5/11 (Diver)

Fire
1. Cover:
2. Setting:
3. Character:

Air
1. Cover:
2. Setting:
3. Character:

The Vision (Harrison Investigation, #3) by Heather Graham

~Megan~ (Megadee) I tried to resist this challenge, but I just can't do it!! I will join as a Concoctionist and will post as I go.

message 47: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 6824 comments Fun challenge Mojca- I'm in for Concoctionist :)
4/8 Completed

Earth-
2.1-Setting- Chasin' Eight
3.1-Character- Housewife for Rent/Husband for Hire

Water-
1.1-Cover- Fade 7/3
2.1-Setting- Beauty Queens

Fire-
1.1-Cover- Mistress of the Night 7/3
3.4-YA- Hush, Hush 7/2

Air-
1.2-Cover with sky- Sno Ho 7/4
3.2-Character- The Ghost on My Couch

Chasin' Eight (Rough Riders, #11) by Lorelei James Sno Ho (Sno Ho, #1) by Ethan Day Mistress of the Night by Charlotte Featherstone The Ghost on My Couch by L.A. Gilbert Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick Fade (Dream Catcher, #2) by Lisa McMann Beauty Queens by Libba Bray Housewife for Rent/Husband for Hire (Double Delights #17) by Michele Bardsley

Mojca | 890 comments I'm glad it's irresistible. Thanks for joining, everyone.

message 49: by Bookchaser (last edited Jul 10, 2011 02:32PM) (new)

Bookchaser | 1048 comments The 4 Elements Challenge
Duration: July 1, 2011 - December 31, 2011
Level: Transmuter

3/12 Completed

EARTH
1.1: Shifting Plains by Jean Johnson
2.1: High Country Bride (McKettrick Cowboys, #1) by Linda Lael Miller
3.4: The Darkness Beyond by Alexis Morgan

Shifting Plains by Jean Johnson High Country Bride (McKettrick Cowboys, #1) (McKettricks, #1) by Linda Lael Miller The Darkness Beyond (Paladins of Darkness #8) by Alexis Morgan

WATER
1.1: Mine Till Midnightby Lisa Kleypas 07/10/11
2.?: TBD
3.?: TBD

Mine Till Midnight (The Hathaways, #1) by Lisa Kleypas TBD TBD

FIRE
1.1: Turbulent Sea by Christine Feehan
2.2: A Summer to Remember by Mary Balogh
3.2: Kiss of Snow by Nalini Singh - 07/04/11

Turbulent Sea (Drake Sisters, #6) by Christine Feehan A Summer to Remember  by Mary Balogh Kiss of Snow (Psy-Changeling, #10) by Nalini Singh

AIR
1.1: Sex, Lies, and Online Dating by Rachel Gibson
2.?: TBD
3.1: Safe Harbor by Christine Feehan - 07/03/11

Sex, Lies, and Online Dating (Writer Friends, #1) by Rachel Gibson TBD. Safe Harbor (Drake Sisters, #5) by Christine Feehan

Joann | 973 comments RRRC (Read) The 4 Elements Challenge

Level: Genius Alchemist

2/16 Read Updated 07.07.11

EARTH

1.1 green or brown cover: The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel
2.2 set in winter: Nocturne by Syrie James
3.2 heroine/baker: Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanna Fluke

The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children, #1) by Jean M. Auel Nocturne by Syrie James Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1) by Joanne Fluke

WATER
blue or black cover: Lover Unleashed by J.R. Ward
2.2 set in autumn: A Great Deliverance by Elizabeth George or The Autumn Countess
3.3 strong heroine: Burnt Offerings by Laurell K. Hamilton, 07.07.11 ★★★★

Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #9) by J.R. Ward A Great Deliverance (Inspector Lynley, #1) by Elizabeth  George Burnt Offerings (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #7) by Laurell K. Hamilton

FIRE
red, orange, pink or purple cover: Burn by Linda Howard
2.2 set in summer: Delirium by Lauren Oliver or A Summer to Remember
3.4 young adult book: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Burn by Linda Howard Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1) by Cassandra Clare

AIR
yellow, white or light-blue cover: Married By Morning by Lisa Kleypas, 07.03.11 ★★★★
2.2 set in spring: Goddess of Spring by P.C. Cast
3.3 second-chances: Ghost Story by Jim Butcher

Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4) by Lisa Kleypas Goddess of Spring (Goddess Summoning, #2) by P.C. Cast Ghost Story (The Dresden Files,  #13) by Jim Butcher

BONUS
EARTH:
TBD
WATER: Water Bound by Christine Feehan
FIRE: Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts
AIR: Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer

Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1) by Christine Feehan Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts Into Thin Air  A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer

« previous 1 3 4 5 6

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Calista's Men (other topics)
Never Look Back (other topics)
Dead Ringer (other topics)
Tropical Getaway (other topics)
Blue Smoke (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sara Gruen (other topics)
Lisa Kleypas (other topics)