Before I Fall Before I Fall discussion

The Ending! *Spoilers*

Comments (showing 1-50 of 174) (174 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

Jennifer I just finished this book last night and the ending threw me into a deep depression! I was expecting something like that to happen but then I thought she would wake up to the next day or wake up in the hospital. That was soooooo sad! I was hoping she would be able to spend more time with Kent.

Kristy I know! I was hoping that since she was willing to sacrifice herself, that would be enough to reset the cycle, but she could still live. At the end of the day though, I felt the most sorry for Kent. He finally got what he wanted, all for it to be ripped away from him. :(

Juliet I know, I loved Kent, he was my favorite character. I was a little confused by the ending at first, but I reread it and was like,"NOOOOOOOOOO". I got over it by reading a really stupid, mindless book but it still hit me kind of hard. I would also recommend to people who want another book like this the 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher, they're not exactly the same but they make you think about life, like this one did. In fact, I think the cover of Before I Fall has a comment from Jay Asher.

Kristy haha I read 13 Reason's Why right after I read Before I fall. Thats funny.

I was amazed by how Lauren Oliver changed my opinion of Sam by the end of the book. At the beginning I was disgusted with her behavior. But by the end, I was SO sad that she died. It was really great reading her progression into a new person. But it really killed me that after all that, she still didn't have the chance to live it. I also had to reread the ending twice. For some reason it didn't sink in what exactly happened the first time, maybe because I was reading it so fast.

Jennifer Yes I was surprised! I expected after she sacrificed herself and learned to be a better person, that during the epilogue she would be back at school together with Kent and being nice to everyone. That she would have learned a great lesson and got a second chance. And I too felt horribly for Kent who was in love with her since they were kids, finally got her, then she died! I'm still depressed thinking about so I too am reading some other stuff to try to take my mind off of it.

Jennifer I am supposed to read 13 Reason's Why for one of my book clubs but it sounds crazy depressing! I can only take so many of these types of books before they really start bringing me down!

Juliet Kristy wrote: "haha I read 13 Reason's Why right after I read Before I fall. Thats funny.

I was amazed by how Lauren Oliver changed my opinion of Sam by the end of the book. At the beginning I was disgusted wi..."

exactly how I felt

Sunyoung I read 13 Reasons Why last summer but it didn't affect me as deeply as this book did. The ending was a shock for me. I hadn't expected Sam to do such a thing, but I guess it just shows how much she has matured throughout the seven days of Feb 12 (which happens to be my birthday interestingly). I, as well, couldn't seem to start a new book, being so amazed and enlightened by this book.

Juliet Sunyoung wrote: "I read 13 Reasons Why last summer but it didn't affect me as deeply as this book did. The ending was a shock for me. I hadn't expected Sam to do such a thing, but I guess it just shows how much she..."
I was quite surprised by the ending too at first, I had to re-read it

Verena I'd have been disappointed if the author had made it a happy ending. I thought it was perfect.

Shani. W Did Lauren Oliver really had to do that to us? Couldn't Sam have woken up and everything would have been okay. Couldn't she written a letter to her to friends and Kent explain what she had to go through. I really liked Sam and Kent together and they get ripped apart it was horrible. But the truth is the best books keep you thinking and have real twisted endings that aren't always happy...

message 12: by Jennifer (last edited Jul 29, 2011 10:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer Yes I just really wanted her to wake up and have Sam and Kent go to school as a couple and show Sam being nice to everyone and trying to change her ways. I wanted to see her become friends with everyone and not just stick with her popular clique and defend Kent. I definitely would have still kept thinking even with a happy ending. I like my HEA!

Emily Steinmetz You might like If I Stay and Where She Went, by Gayle Forman. They're good, but will probably make you cry, I did.

♫Huneeya♥ SleepingBeauty: that is EXACTLY what i thought. First of all, how could Lauren Oliver let her die? She left Kent without any explanation, she left Lindsay and Ally and Elody to just keep guessing, she left Izzy to figure life out by herself, she left Juliet Sykes confused..it was just too much

Second of all, the characters I felt most sorry for in this book were Kent and Juliet Sykes. Kent: he had been in love with Sam for his whole entire life and then one day she kisses him for no reason and then just DIES! no explanation, no reason, no nothing! Juliet Sykes: poor poor her, she must be SO confused! plus, how could sam just leave her like that? what if lindsay and ally and elody blamed juliet for sam dying and gave her hell for it? how do we know that same died for a good cause after all? i mean, of course she should have saved juliet, but why did she have to die in the process?

this book would have been so much better if she woke up in hospital at the end of it...

Jennifer Emily wrote: "You might like If I Stay and Where She Went, by Gayle Forman. They're good, but will probably make you cry, I did."

Yes I read those books and I did cry but at least they both had a HEA. I mean yeah there was lots of bad stuff along the way but at least with a HEA I feel settled.

@Huneeya yes I was thinking she would wake up in the hospital and then when she didn't I was like nooooo! Because yes it doesn't guarantee Juliet's life will be better now she will just blame herself for Sam's death. And poor Kent! He has no idea what happened. I feel like Sam should have tried to spend a little more time with him before she threw herself in front of that car.

Carly Tracey I was so hoping that she could spend way more time with Kent.

message 17: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam I was crushed at the end when Sam died. Sam is finally a decent person and Kent finally gets what he wants just to have to taken away (as some of you said.)Poor Kent. :( But if she didn't die I dont think it would have been as effective. What I wonder, though, is which day everyone remembered?

Aleesha I feel that Oliver was going for a point with having Sam die. Sam was so wrapped up in saving her's AND Juliet's life when she realized what she should do. Clearly, Oliver's point is that Sam had to do something selfless for her to truly get the point of the repeat. I agree, I wish she would have lived and been with Kent and live happily ever after. However, I feel the book would have been like every other book, whereas Oilver made it a unique and something to remember. It really touched me!

message 19: by Asiyah (last edited Aug 20, 2011 09:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Asiyah This book made think so much, I think my head hurt sometimes. Not only did I think, but I also felt a landslide of emotions: disgust, confusion, anger, and sadness. I agree with everyone above. I wanted Sam to wake up to find it was all a dream or something, but then the purpose of the book, to appreciate life and to be a good person because you don't know when it's all going to end, would have been defeated. I loved seeing how Sam transformed every time she relived that day. The change was so subtle, I almost missed it. All the characters were so developed and complex that it made the ending that much intense because you begin to think about how the other characters felt after Sam died. This was an AMAZING novel with one of the most powerful endings I have ever read.

Watermelon Daisy Verena wrote: "I'd have been disappointed if the author had made it a happy ending. I thought it was perfect."

Agreed with a one-hundred-percent. :D

Asiyah Me too.

message 22: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate Bowyer I think the ending was perfect. It would have too cliche to have her wake up in the hospital. After all the book was about getting to the best place possible for the character and then to be able to move on.

I agree with others, the best books stay with you after you're done reading them and that means they don't always have happy endings.

Asiyah I agree.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

This book was amazing. All of it! The ending was the best part, as it made me cry and any book that manages to get me emotional enough to cry is a winner for me, as it sticks with you forever. This is a book that makes you think and it does change the way I view life now. I was happy with the ending, because it was perfect. If Sam had just woken up and everything had been alright again I don't think the book's meaning would have come across as strong as it did.

Gretchen She was already dead, that could not change no matter what. We can not control our destinies, however, we can control who we are.

Louise Metierre I finished this book earlier today and I can't stop crying. I love Kent and it really sucks in the ending. I feel sorry for him. The moment that they both know they love each other, Sam died. I hope Sam and Kent spend more time together, it'll be awesome that way. Well atleast Sam's fixed everything before she died. KENT <3 awesome book. :D

Ashleigh Verena wrote: "I'd have been disappointed if the author had made it a happy ending. I thought it was perfect."

Totally agree! I thought the author ended it exactly how it should have ended. Not everything can have a happy ending, thats part of the beauty of life.

ღIsabellaღ I didnt see the ending coming but I thought the ending was really good. It was good how it wasn't just a perfect happy ending.

Chelsea I agree with most of the comments above, I thought since she changed that she would get a second chance. However, there is tons of foreshadowing that she is going to die (which I ignored because it wasn't what I wanted to read). Sam KNEW she was going to die and she still kisses Kent even though she had kissed him on the two previous nights. While I feel bad that she died, I was also angry at how selfish she was to lead Kent on when she knew she was going to die. He would have been upset either way, but at least he wouldn't have gotten the girl he wanted just to watch her die.

message 30: by Riah (new) - rated it 1 star

Riah I didn't really care for the book. Tooooo many sexual references. It was seriously all they cared about, and I liked how much she changed and the moral to the story, but all the other crap deterred from the book a lot and lower the book in my estimation. I love how she died for the other girl in the end, how much she changed an all. I thought she was going to get a second chance at first too, but about halfway through the book I knew she was going to die permanently. Over all, not thrilled.

Tunrola Ase O. the thing I REALLY hated when I read this book was that Sam referred to her friends as the "b*****" and that really annoyed me for some reason. Idk, maybe it's just that I wouldn't want to referred to that by my friend. I agree this was a great book. However after I finished it I kept on thinking of all these things she could have done differently to prevent her from dying!

Kathy yes i thought too cause she sacrificed herself that she would be brought back some how or instead of just pushing her out of the way she sould some how grab her/push her combo like in the movies you see alot...actually i read on Lauren Oliver's web site that both books before i fal and delirium are to be made into movies that would be awesome.

Tiffany the ending was crap, the book was Lovely but i just hate the end!! i am sorry to does who like the book but i felt like throwing my kindle across my room because i was hoping the ending would have more details other than her dieing.. i was thinking that the ending would be .. better cuz she ended up in relationship with Kent.i didn't get the ending too much so maybe that's why.

Tiffany Sara one direction fan forever wrote: "I liked the end of the story because she did the right thing."

--> LOL, i kinda agree with you... but i still hate the end for some reason <--

Tiffany Jennifer wrote: "I just finished this book last night and the ending threw me into a deep depression! I was expecting something like that to happen but then I thought she would wake up to the next day or wake up in..."
--> IK R! i felt the same, except i don't have the actual book i have a kindle so i didn't have the change to throw the book across my room LOL, i wasn't expecting for Sam to die, i was expecting more.. of her and Kent together, i just hate the ending.. to me it was kinda a total waste of time. when i first starting reading the book i was totally addicted to the book, i couldn't let go of it.. =(

Tiffany Kristy wrote: "haha I read 13 Reason's Why right after I read Before I fall. Thats funny.

I was amazed by how Lauren Oliver changed my opinion of Sam by the end of the book. At the beginning I was disgusted wi..."

I am also reading 13 reasons why, i hope the ending wont suck, i mean the tapes r kinda confusing but i am getting there, i just got the book in my kindle so i am excited to read in =)

Paris The ending made me mad to but I wonder what happened to the rest of the characters since Sam died.

Alyssa Bergstrom It was a great book, but I think everyone would agree that we fell more in love with Kent than the real message behind the story. lol I know I did.

Grace The ending made me cry and gulp like a fish out of water. I really wish I could have learned what happened to Kent, Juliet and Sam's friends, but that's okay. I loved the message of the book, it popped out at me and told me not to waste anymore time.

In my opinion, this book was a million times better than Thirteen Reasons Why. Anyone else agree?

Ava Oceana I burst into tears at the ending. I was sure it was a mistake, or there would be a sequel.

No. Sequel.

I'm sobbing my heart out right now. Kent...Kent... he lost her and she died...

Catherine I was kind of expecting her to die, but I thought there might be some chance of her staying alive and the whole thing was just one big long dream. I didn't cry at the end lol

I didn't really like the book that much, probably because it's not really the type of genre I'm into - my sister just bought the book so I thought I would read it.

message 42: by Ana (new)

Ana Almazar Sam and Kent's story. Wow! The vast moment they had but the connection, lovely! I love the book even though it has a very sad ending. I really loved it!

Cassie OMG GREAT BOOK!

Eileen It was a great book, but I hated the ending because it sounded like Kent and Sam were meant to be and then she sacrificed herself. I think that was really noble of her, but seriously! Kent was so, so, so good for Sam and I can't even imagine what he went through after she did die. I wish Sam could've been in heaven and watching over him so we could see what happened. :(

Ranjana Jennifer wrote: "I just finished this book last night and the ending threw me into a deep depression! I was expecting something like that to happen but then I thought she would wake up to the next day or wake up in..."

Yeah, me too, I finished reading this book a while ago. It's sad how it ends, I mean even when I think about it I feel so bad.

Helen Stevens Sam died at the beginning of the book. Then she had to live the repeat over and over till she could learn something from her death and put a few things right before she went. That's how I saw it anyway...

message 47: by Moira (last edited Mar 13, 2012 10:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Moira It's funny because, when I first read the ending, I was thinking - "Well, did she die or what?"

Then, I read the ending again because I realized that I must have skimmed through it... (I know, I'm weird. I just wanted to read the epilogue :S)

It's so sad. I wish that Sam didn't have to die and that the epilogue would tell us what the future holds for her, Kent, her friends and Juliet. And maybe this is just wishful thinking, but it'd be awesome if Lauren Oliver writes a sequel to this. But that's if Sam didn't die.

But she did. And I'm still cut up about it.

By the way, Kent is my favorite character :)
I love his quirky personality and how nice he is to Sam. It's so cute when he admitted he has feelings for her.

Cassie The sequal could be about her dealing with her death! Or mabey... she comes back and talks to kent! THERE ARE ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES!

Megan ♫Huneeya♥ wrote: "SleepingBeauty: that is EXACTLY what i thought. First of all, how could Lauren Oliver let her die? She left Kent without any explanation, she left Lindsay and Ally and Elody to just keep guessing, ..."

I thought the same thing about Juliet and how Lindsey, Elody, Ally, and all the other people at school would treat her. Without Sam really trying to get her friends see how horrible they were to Juliet and what they were really doing to her emotionally, I just imagine the whole school treating her even worse. They will blame her for losing one of the "most liked" girls in school. Sam will look like such a heroic and selfless girl that got killed trying to save the school "psycho."
I liked the book, but that was something that I couldn't get out of my head. I wish there was a little more to the epilogue that would reassure that Sam's sacrifice was worth it.

Nyateneri I always thought about the end as a long goodbye of Sam to her world and so I wasn't really surprised.
There is also a happy end because of her sister, Izzy. Sam got this prevision of her, when she's happy and it's like her sister will live the life Sam should have lived.

« previous 1 3 4

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Before I Fall (other topics)