LDS Mystery/Suspense discussion

What are your favorite LDS suspense authors???

Comments (showing 1-48 of 48) (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lucy | 5 comments Mod
I decided to start this group as I was looking through and seeing so many fabulous books in the mystery/suspense genre by LDS authors.

I'd love to hear who your favorites are, and also if you want to add them to the site to help others see what's out there, that would be great. If possible, please set up a shelf (or save each book to the shelf) for the individual author. I've been naming the shelves by putting the last name first, then first name.

I look forward to getting a lot more great ideas of what everyone is reading.

Tray | 1 comments Great idea to start this group Lucy. One of my favorite LDS authors is Traci Hunter Abramson, but I only knew about two of her books. Looks like I have some more books to add to my wish list.

message 3: by Kira (last edited Sep 18, 2008 08:41AM) (new)

Kira | 2 comments I need to do some more reading in to this genre, but I do like Clair Poulson and Josi s. Kilpack. They do a good job of writing books that make me stay up all night, just so I can finish reading them.

Candace | 2 comments I absolutely love Betsy Brannon Green. I've read many of her books and they are always the perfect mix of mystery and romance. My two favorites...

Melody | 5 comments Lynn Gardner, her gem series are the best!
I also adore Clair Poulson's work, and Betsy Brannon Green, so I will agree with the earlier two postings on them!

Veronica | 1 comments I love Besty Brannon Green! She has a new book coming out next month that is a second to Hazarddous Duty. I love the mix of mystery and romance. I have not read the other authors listed above but now I have something new to look forward to.

Brooke | 1 comments I'm seeing all of my favorite authors on this list...Traci Hunter Abramson, Clair Poulson, Betsy Brannon Green.... Yeah, I love to read. :)

Caryn | 2 comments Thanks to Brooke for letting me know about this group. I love Clair Poulson's books, mostly because he is my Uncle and I have memories of him writing as long as I can remember. My Mom was his first editor, long before anything got published!

It is always funny to see which family names are used as characters, he used my hubby's name once, but as a bad guy. I don't let him forget that one.

Zoe | 1 comments Clair Poulson's a man?! I didn't know that, but I love his books too. LOL! Good to know. :)

I am excited to see what books everyone else loves. I haven't read a book from this genre for a while.

Nancy | 3 comments I really love all of the authors that have been mentioned but I have a few more favorites that no one has brought up. Here they are: Jeffrey Savage, Jennie Hansen, Kerry Blair, Jeff Downs, Robison Wells, Nancy C. Allen, Gerald Lund, Anne Perry, Stephanie Meyer, Liz Adair, Robert Marcum and Amy Maida Wadsworth. I always watch for any new books coming out by them. Although it wasn't a suspense/thriller I have to say that my favorite LDS book is Fireweed by Terry Montague. Is there any interest in sharing/borrowing books? I have an extensive library of LDS books because I can't find them in libraries so I have to buy the ones I want to read.

Melody | 5 comments I'll add a Bid for Love, Framed for Love, and Love on the Run by Rachel Ann Nunes for this category. Couldn't put those down! :)

message 12: by Julie (last edited Sep 22, 2008 06:33PM) (new)

Julie | 5 comments I just picked up a book Epicenter by Sonia Obrien after the introduction of the people invovled I couldn't put it down I stayed up until 2AM reading the book. Loved it, so suspenceful..... Would make a great movie...
I also love to read Traci Hunter Abramson, Betsy Bannon Green ( her new series that she is starting are great ) Susan Evans McCloud ( Face in the Shadows ) Sierra St James ( Time Rider )

Tricia | 1 comments I'm a big Betsy Brannon Green fan as well. I've got all her books and loved them all. I recently read a new author that I really liked also. The Book was called Grave Secrets by Marlene Austin.

Kira | 2 comments My favorite Lds author would be Rachel Ann Nunes she does have some books that would be considered suspense, Melody named them allready. I think I have read every book she has come out with minus the newest one. I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet. And some of the picture books.

message 15: by Susan (last edited Oct 27, 2008 11:19AM) (new)

Susan | 5 comments Julie Coulter Bellon is another great LDS/Suspense author. I think she's as good as Betsy Brannon Green, and I really like her books.All's Fair, On The Edge, Through Love's Trials, Time Will Tell

Julie | 5 comments I like Grave Secrets also, because I love genealogy type mysteries. The Bishops Bride was cute and had a mystery within the book, very enjoyable. I read Karen Ball. What lies within was pretty intense, The person who was the culprit was a surprise .. Pages form the Past from Joann Arnold was very intresting. I loved her thoughts about the Patriotism and the Consitution this was included in the story and she had me guessing until almost the end.

Shayne | 3 comments I just finished listening to a book on tape called Dangerous Games by Keith Morris. Although you can definitely tell the difference between the way males and females write this type of genre I think it had a pretty good story line and held its own. You might want to try reading it rather than listening to it though. I think I would have enjoyed it more that way.

Candace Salima (CandaceSalima) | 1 comments I read this book and really loved it. Keith Morris did a great job of pulling an intriguing storyline together and has a great way of telling a story.

Sadly, unless the book on CD says "unabridged," almost half of the book has been edited out in order to meet the budget constraints of the publisher. I kid you not. That's why, if you can at all, reading it is so much better. That way you get the entire story.

Great book. Great author. I've kept my eyes open for any more of his books.

Candace E. Salima
yourLDSNeighborhood

Shayne | 3 comments You know, it seemed like 3 tapes was an awfully short story. And at that they did a good job with the story they told. But I will definitely get and read the book. I appreciate the heads up!

Tana Lacy I really enjoyed Liz Adair's books. Slight suspense with some insightful thoughts into our personal experiences with the Lord.

Kevan | 2 comments If also love most of the the mention authors, some I haven't read yet. G.G. Vandegriff (spell??) she does some great suspense stuff mixed with Geneaology,

Kevan | 2 comments If also love most of the the mention authors, some I haven't read yet. G.G. Vandegriff (spell??) she does some great suspense stuff mixed with Geneaology,

message 23: by Annika (last edited Oct 21, 2008 04:36PM) (new)

Annika Paxman | 4 comments I was surprised that no one has mentioned Jennie Hansen. She was actually the first Author to get me into suspense/adventure. I would definitely recommend Some Sweet Day, Code Red, High Stakes and Macady. Those are only a few, but some of my personal favorites. Oh and if you want suspense with a laugh...definitely Kerri Blair with her Nightshade mystery series.

Claudia (ILoveColors) | 1 comments Jennie Hansen most difinitely should be in the mix. I have loved her books as well. I have not read any of Kerri Blair's books so I will check them out. Thanks!!

Candace | 2 comments I also love Jennie Hansen! I love her Bracelet Series. She was also the first LDS author that I started reading. She is fantastic!

Nancy | 3 comments Actually I did.

Julie | 5 comments I like Jenny Hansen.. Some Sweet Day .. Now I am reading Betsy Brannon Green I love Hazardous Duty and Beyond The Call.. and all the others with the HAgerty Ladies... So funny..

message 28: by Susan (last edited Oct 27, 2008 11:17AM) (new)

Susan | 5 comments I also really like Nancy Campbell Allen's books. She rates right up there with Betsy Brannon Green. She's written a series of four books, Love Beyond Time, A Time for the Heart: A Novel, No Time for Love: A Novel, Echoes.

message 29: by Susan (last edited Oct 27, 2008 11:34AM) (new)

Susan | 5 comments Another really good suspense novel is Cover of Darkness: A Novel by Sian Ann Bessey. Gerald Lund's books Alliance, The Freedom Factor, and Leverage Point are excellent reads.

Susan | 5 comments The book A Question of Consequence: A Novel by Gordon Ryan is another book I would recommend.

Bronwyn | 2 comments I love the Great and Terrible Series by Chris Stewart. It starts out in the prexistancce and works it's way to the last days. My mom and I have not been able to put them down. I also love Traci Hunter Abramson and Kerry Blair. They are my favorites.

Tracy (tkperry) | 7 comments Great list so far. Betsy Brannon Green, Robison Wells, Jeffrey Savage, Kerry Blair, Liz Adair, Traci Hunter Abramson, and G.G. Vandagriff are also favorites of mine. Recently I discovered Steve Roos and I love his books! Also, if you like Chris Stewart's Great and Terrible series, try Jessica Draper's series that begins with the Seventh Seal.

Lewestover | 1 comments As a newcomer to the group I'd like to add Dorothy Keddington to the list. She's not as prolific as many, and her first books came out in the 80's. Jayhawk, Shadow Song, The Mermaid's Purse, Flower of the Winds are among my favorites. I'm also a big Anne Perry fan.

Tracy (tkperry) | 7 comments Also, just discovered Sheralyn Pratt and I LOVE her books!

Tracy (tkperry) | 7 comments More LDS suspense authors I've recently discovered: Carole Thayne, Jeri Gilchrist, and Michael J. Hunter (they're all pretty good).

Tracy (tkperry) | 7 comments Sorry to monopolize this list, but I found another LDS Suspense author I like: Sonia O'Brien.

Tracy (tkperry) | 7 comments And I just found Robert Marcum! I read White Out, which was very exciting, and I am delighted to see he's written lots of other books. :)

Rose (ogzewalla) | 2 comments Sandra Grey is great! She wrote Traitor and Tribunal. These are really good.

message 39: by Susan (last edited Apr 10, 2009 02:09PM) (new)

Susan | 5 comments I just read N.C. Allen's book "Isabelle Webb Legend of the Jewel". I got completely caught up in the story. It was intriguing and suspenseful. I can't wait for the sequel.

blondie | 1 comments for any of you guys interested in betsy brannon green's "duty" series, the next one comes out on june 1. http://betsybrannongreen.net/index.html that's the website if you want more information about it.

message 41: by Laura (last edited May 24, 2009 09:28AM) (new)

Laura | 1 comments I just got PURSUED by Lynn Gardner. I have been waiting for this book to come out for forever! I was so happy that she started a new series, But it took years for the second one to come out. It was worth the wait. I am enjoying it some much. I was worried that I would have to go back and read the first one again. but the way she writes the story comes right back to you. Love It
Laura :)

Booster Gold | 1 comments To be honest, I have not read a lot of lds books besides the standard works and church related books. I did however read a few of the tennis shoes among the Nephites stories. I loved those. Which is the best suspense novel? I'm willing to give one a try.

Tracy (tkperry) | 7 comments Try some Robison Wells or Jeffrey Savage; they're both great.

Caryn | 2 comments Booster wrote: "To be honest, I have not read a lot of lds books besides the standard works and church related books. I did however read a few of the tennis shoes among the Nephites stories. I loved those. Which i..."

If you like the Tennis Shoes books,try Clair Poulson's books. You'll love them.

Heather I love Traci Hunter Abramson's novels. I love the way she wrote. A lot of action and fun to read.

Paul | 1 comments I love suspense novels, especially I like those on CD as I travel a lot. I don't necessarily want to limit to LDS authors but any good suspense author who is clean in language. I like John Grisham for that very reason. Any other authors who are clean anyone would suggest as I like to check them out of our library when available. Thanks

Holly (HHeventer) | 1 comments Traci Abramson, and Rebecca Shelley (who sometimes writes under her maiden name, Rebecca Tyler). Traci's emphasis is often on military (SEAL team), and Rebecca's is on the secret agent side. Willard Boyd Gardner is also really good.
Julie Coulter Bellon, Betsy Brannon Green, Lynn Gardner, and Sian Ann Bessey are also good, especially if you like a romantic twist to it. A lot of people love Stephanie Black, though her style kinda rubs me wrong (personal issue, LOL).
Wendie Edwards and Chris Stewart are good, if you like a Millennial twist to it, and Chad Daybell is pretty good that way, too (though his 2nd book wasn't as good as his first, IMO).
Non-LDS I like: James Rollins, especially Excavation.

I've written reviews for a lot of these, if you want to check some out.

Julie | 1 comments Holly, thank you for mentioning my name. You totally made my day!

I agreed with your list. I would add Josi Kilpack's Sadie Hofmiller series and Jeff Savage's books. Both are great suspense writers. :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Time Will Tell (other topics)
All's Fair (other topics)
Through Love's Trials (other topics)
On the Edge (other topics)
Love Beyond Time (other topics)
More...