The Flashman Club discussion

Book 3: Flash for Freedom! > What a sorry start I made....

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michele (new)

Michele (MicheleJacobsen) | 42 comments Mod
Well, geez, this book was at the very top of my pile for June and look what happened....I got completely distracted by an old trilogy about the Dukes of Northumberland during the Wars of the Roses....talk about easily distracted!

But I'm here now and got a good start on Flashy on a 4 hour flight tonight. I'd forgotten how funny the "historical" notes at the back of the book are.

It took me a while to remember old Bryant was....but it's all come back to me now.

Also, for what it's worth, I'm starting to be glad for the choice to read these in publication order....I like the references to the "missing years" and look forward to reading those when the publication order dictates.

michele

ps....my copy of this one is one of the newer covers and the cover is hysterical!

message 2: by Strey (new)

Strey (Streyino) | 23 comments Michele wrote: "Well, geez, this book was at the very top of my pile for June and look what happened....I got completely distracted by an old trilogy about the Dukes of Northumberland during the Wars of the Roses...."

Hi Michele. Glossing over your leaving poor Flashy at the mercy of those air stewardesses...or maybe that should be the other way around!

I have finished the book and found it very much up to scratch, though have yet to complete my review (as they seem to be 'backing up' around me!!)

The earlier part was quite 'challenging', with our modern values & attitudes. But with our Flashy running headlong between seemingly hopeless situations, punctuated by the usual rump & rifle, it kept me fully engaged at the double!!

As usual I found I unwittingly learnt a lot about the subject, whilst galloping to the typical 'Flashyesque' conclusion!! But as ever after a good bit of Flashman, I was left wanting more...role on "Charge"!!

Hope you find a replacement copy... @;{x

message 3: by Claire (new)

Claire | 9 comments I think Flashman at the Charge is one of the best along with Royal Flash and Flashman's Lady.

message 4: by Strey (new)

Strey (Streyino) | 23 comments Thanks Claire, I am rubbing my hands together in anticipation!!

message 5: by Anne (last edited Sep 18, 2013 01:50PM) (new)

Anne Smith | 1 comments Hi. I have been a Flashman fan for many years and have all the books. They are brilliant!! But I'm curious to know, has anyone out there noticed two mistakes? In Flashman,Uncle Bindley is a Paget, his mother's brother who "prided himself being above (Flashman's) family whom he considered boors." but in Flashman at the Charge, Bindley " was from the common or Flashman side of (our)family--". Also', Selina is Flashman's granddaughter in Flashman and the Tiger but his great niece in Flashman and the Mountain of Light. Anyone else noticed these little mistakes?

message 6: by Michele (new)

Michele (MicheleJacobsen) | 42 comments Mod
Holy cow, no, I missed those mistakes. This calls for a re-read. (Any excuse!)

message 7: by Djb (last edited Sep 19, 2013 09:21AM) (new)

Djb | 151 comments Anne wrote: "Hi. I have been a Flashman fan for many years and have all the books. They are brilliant!! But I'm curious to know, has anyone out there noticed two mistakes? In Flashman,Uncle Bindley is a Paget, ..."

Knew the Uncle Bindley one, but not the Selina mistake.

unread topics | mark unread