Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

Archives (Deleted&moved topics) > Original & Quirky Contest: Win an ebook!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 65) (65 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by ★ Jess (last edited Aug 22, 2011 01:59AM) (new)

★ Jess  | 4496 comments Mod
Hello everyone, its been ages since our last contest, but fear not: here is a new one! Finally! Even better, this time around, you get to win prizes! The winner and runner up of this writing contest will receive a free ebook of WANTED: Prelude to a Hero by Jamie Buckley.
The Contest opens immediately, and will close on August 20, so you have plenty of time to enter. Your story must be no longer than 1500 words, and to submit it please post it under the Writing Page of Goodreads then link it here. You may write on the topic of your choice, however, it must be unique and/or quirky. Express your writing individuality! Experiment a bit! So, obviously, a story about vampires will not win, since vampires have been done to death. On August 20, a poll will be made for group members to vote for the winner. If it is a tie, Moderators will decide. Winners should be voted on judging by the story's originality and interest.
If you have any questions please dont hesitate to ask one of the mods,
Best of luck,
Jess, Amelia, Amber & Taylor.

"Wanted: Prelude to Hero"
Wendell is a young man who learns what his potential is while on a strange, enchanted world with a funny old wizard and ugly troll to mentor and guide him. Prelude to a Hero, the debut book about how Wendell came to be the one expected to save an entire world. . . by accident.

Some excerpts from reviews are:
"It's a light, fun, easy read with enjoyable characters and an interesting plot."
"very funny"
"a unique story, to say the least. I found it quite entertaining so don't let the cover discourage you."
"had me giggling throughout"
"funny and philosophical all at the same time"
"Quirky, unique and oh so funny"
"The writing, the characterization, the plot… it was all very well done, and it was funny too!"
"I would recommend it to basically anyone."
"This is the kind of story that makes me fall in love with reading all over again"

We'd love to have you enter! We're expecting lots of magnificent entires!

Here are the stories:
"In the Woods" by Chris
"Black Hole Magic" by Joel
"Senseless Death" by Iona
"Hope" by Natasha
"The Portal" by Grace
"Mute Macy" by Belinda
"Noise" by Baxter
"The Taking" by Josie
"My Life As A Bee" by Natalie
"Brooklyn's Nightmare" by Maggi
"Space" by Shayma
"The Magic Book" by Lexi

Kate | 8277 comments I like this idea. I hope I have time to write. I'm excited to see other people's entries!

Cecilia | 12 comments can't wait to write my story!!!!!!! i'm bursting with ideas!

~Tormiester~ (Hatsoff343) | 23 comments Do we post the story here, or just the link?

message 6: by Cecilia (last edited Jun 23, 2011 06:05AM) (new)

Cecilia | 12 comments yeah I have no idea!! and if one of us won this ebook thing how would you get it to one of us?

Kate | 8277 comments You post the link. As to the prize, I have no idea. I think that's where the mods come in. I assume you message them your e-mail or something like that.

The Airship Librarian (TheAirshipLibrarian) | 2189 comments Ooh! This could be fun, but I'm not sure if I'll have time to write a story this summer.

One of the mods will forward the e-book to the winner and runner up through a private message.

Cecilia | 12 comments cool thanks! my story is gettin good!!!

Iona Sinclair (the-book-thief) | 5 comments Awesome competition :D here's my entry...

http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/2...

message 12: by ~Tormiester~ (last edited Jun 25, 2011 12:22PM) (new)

~Tormiester~ (Hatsoff343) | 23 comments Naw, I can't beat this one.

Belinda (boomingbloomers) | 6 comments I was wondering if it had to be a full story? Like one with an orientation, complication, resolution? Or could it just be a short excerpt-like writing?

It must be a full short story. Not a small excerpt

Good question :)

Iona Sinclair (the-book-thief) | 5 comments If it is over 1500 words, will it automatically be disregarded?

message 17: by ★ Jess (last edited Jun 24, 2011 06:42AM) (new)

yes, unfortunately.

Iona Sinclair (the-book-thief) | 5 comments No, I've double checked, and it's under 1500 :D

thanks anyway :) x

Kate | 8277 comments ★ Jessica ★ wrote: "yes, unfortunately :(
I saw yours is, so you could edit it, or create a new one..."

Iona's is fine. It's Tori's that wouldn't fit at its current length.

Well, I'm working on my story....meaning I'm coming up with an idea. I'll hopefully get a good story by the deadline.

^Oops, I was thinking of the wrong person! Sorry!

Iona Sinclair (the-book-thief) | 5 comments It's okay, I hadn't actually checked the word count, so thanks, it reminded me to check :) x

message 22: by ~Tormiester~ (last edited Jun 25, 2011 12:22PM) (new)

~Tormiester~ (Hatsoff343) | 23 comments Kate wrote: "★ Jessica ★ wrote: "yes, unfortunately :(
I saw yours is, so you could edit it, or create a new one..."

Iona's is fine. It's Tori's that wouldn't fit at its current length.

Well, I'm working ..."

1290 words. Would it be an excerpt? Since I'm only submitting the one chapter.

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6795 comments It's an entire story. No excerpts.

~Tormiester~ (Hatsoff343) | 23 comments Sorry for asking this again, but is my story considered an excerpt. I believe it does not, but you're the ones grading it.

message 25: by ★ Jess (last edited Jun 25, 2011 06:32PM) (new)

If the story you are submitting is *part of a bigger story*, say you have selected a single chapter to submit-then yes; thats an excerpt.
If the story you are submitting is a story in its own right , then that is fine.

*Edit* I see you are only submitting the first chapter. Obviously, that is part of a bigger story, and qualifies as an excerpt. Could you edit it/cut things out so it stays in the word limit? If not you could come up with another idea?

Jaime Buckley (wantedhero) | 3 comments Wow, these are some really good stories!

You guys are starting to intimidate me (grin)...

Serious talent in this group.

Kate | 8277 comments Jaime wrote: "Wow, these are some really good stories!

You guys are starting to intimidate me (grin)...

Serious talent in this group."

I feel th same way.

Keep the entries coming everyone!

message 29: by Grace (last edited Jul 08, 2011 03:13AM) (new)

Grace | 23 comments Hey! I hope you like this story:

Belinda (boomingbloomers) | 6 comments When word counting, does it include the title?

no

Belinda (boomingbloomers) | 6 comments I'm hoping that, these asterisks: * * *, won't be included in your word count? (Because in word doc. it's included :S)

All good :)

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 383 comments Aight. I'mma do this! And then lose gloriously when I find out that everybody else wrote masterpieces. I AM OFFICIALLY PUMPED.

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 383 comments http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/2...

There we go. My entry! It isn't very unique or clever though. Oh well, I wrote something and had fun writing it, so I'm happy.

Also, it totes wasn't going to have any paragraphs, but a friend made me put some in.

Kate | 8277 comments It's very upsetting, but I'm not sure I have the time to do this! I'm still going to try though.

Josie | 1 comments I wrote this story a few years ago and thought it fell under quirky.
Here is my link:
Enjoy!

message 39: by natalie (last edited Jul 25, 2011 10:31PM) (new)

natalie | 5060 comments I *might* do this, although I'm not a big writer.

If you don't have a ebook, could you still do it and the book could go to the next person?

sure, but there should be no problem to read an e-book, since any one can read it on any computer.

natalie | 5060 comments Ohhhh. Ok. :)

So I just started one, but I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to make it long enough. It's pretty weird, & I may be getting some of my facts wrong.

message 42: by ★ Jess (last edited Jul 26, 2011 12:06AM) (new)

Its okay, 1500 words MAX. Enter a 200 word story, if thats how you roll :)

natalie | 5060 comments Ok, thanks! :)

natalie | 5060 comments http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/2...

Here it is... It's original, that's for sure... I had fun writing it, so that's all i care about. :)

Enjoy my tiny, tiny little story!

Maggi | 234 comments hey ppl! Here's my story! I actually had this dream once! http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/2...

enjoy!

Shayma (almightysush) | 3 comments ok i wrote this a couple years back but never finished it till today.hope u enjoy it.

Great stories everyone!
I have put links to all the stories in the first post, for convenience. Remember, less than 20 days left, so get your entries in!

Arthur (AnsgarAmergin) | 19 comments here is the link to my entry: http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/2.... It isn't complete just yet, but I hope it interests readers.

Kate | 8277 comments Does it close on August 20th at the beginning or end of the day? And is this Australia time? Because if it is I won't be able to get my entry up even if I can get my act together to get my story done in time. (I won't have computer access from tomorrow morning until the afternoon of the 20th) How sad. I guess I'll just have to vote on other people's instead...

It closes at the end of the day, American time :)

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Prelude to a Hero (other topics)