Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Welcome & Ice Breakers > Introduce yourself

Comments (showing 551-600 of 928) (928 new)    post a comment »

message 551: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello everyone! I'm Vaiolet, a "starving student" from Sydney, Australia :) I read anything (although my bookshelf contains mostly books I read in my early teens, my most prolific reading years so far!) and I am one of those people who CANNOT stop reading a book halfway (although I often develop a complete repulsion towards the "unreadable" book which slows me even more..!). I also hate borrowing books, probably due to the fact that when I moved to Sydney 2 years ago I had to leave all of my books behind, so I will never be able to catalog them all :/ Ok, by now you probably know I am somewhat of a perfectionist =P But I'm not too bad I promise.

I really hope to find some great books through Pick-a-Shelf. This is the first group I join, I am very excited!

message 552: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (morgzsydney) Hi I'm Morgan! I am 14 and a freshman in high school. I love to read and write so much. My favorite genres are YA Dystopia, Memoirs, Science Non-Fiction, YA Murder Mysteries and Girly Girl teen fiction.
My Favorite books are:
1. Pink Boots and A Machete by Mireya Mayor
2. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
3. Open by Andre Aggasi
4. The Emperor of all Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee
5. The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

I am looking to try new things. In my Honors English class we are reading Great Expectations, which I am really enjoying so far, but I would really like to change it up a bit.

message 553: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 4802 comments Mod
Welcome, Vaiolet & Morgan!

I hope you both will enjoy reading up new "things" ;)

message 554: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 996 comments Welcome, Vaiolet & Morgan!

message 555: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks girls, and welcome Morgan! I am jealous, if I could have had Goodreads when I was 14! :)

message 556: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (morgzsydney) Its actually like the best thing ever! I have had since January, and I am obssesed!

message 557: by [deleted user] (new)

Morgan wrote: "Its actually like the best thing ever! I have had since January, and I am obssesed!"

Oh, I am just a newbie actually, got here on Goodreads a few days ago! And I am absolutely hooked!

message 558: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (morgzsydney) I found it by clicking on some awards for best books of 2010, and I discovered The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (Which I ended up using for a nonfiction project which I got a 100 on :) and it ended up being in my top 5 of all time) Anyway, I got curious and started clicking around. At the Time I had just finished the Dragon Tattoo triology, and i was having trouble keeping track of all the books I put off reading for it. Goodreads solved that problem. I loved my new discoveries. And I was hooked.

message 559: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh I've read about The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks quite a bit here on Goodreads, I haven't seen it in my local bookshop yet (or maybe they run out, since it seems quite famous!). What did you like about it?

message 560: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (morgzsydney) Absolutely amazing. I love that you see the story of Henrietta and her family, the story of the cells and the story of Skloots quest to find the information. The Lacks family and Rebecca grow on you. And the ending is probably the most brilliant ending ever. Read it now! Find it! It will be worth it. I had to order online b it kept selling out at my local bookstore. So worth it.

message 561: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Zhou  (Kazuto) hi my name is jackie and i am 14!

message 562: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 996 comments Hi, Jackie. Welcome!

message 563: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Zhou  (Kazuto) Thanks!

message 564: by Mish (new)

Mish Hi, my name is Mish. I’m from Melbourne Australia and a mother of 1 daughter. I have always been a constant reader at a very early age but not to the extent that I am now since joining Goodreads….a book would last me a month but now I’m reading 5-6 books a month and a mixture of genre, and loving every minute of it.

I joined this group because it sounds like a lot of fun, and right up my alley with the variety of genres. Looking forward to getting to know you all :)

message 565: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 996 comments Welcome, Mish!!

message 566: by Mish (new)

Mish Thankyou Luann :)

message 567: by Yogesh (new)

Yogesh (yogeshb89) | 1 comments hey there i am yogesh
i live in chandigarh, india the city's popularly known as the city beatuiful of india currently i am studying mechanical engineering final year.

message 568: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 996 comments Welcome to our group, Yogesh!

message 569: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) I'm going to reintroduce myself, because I have been absent from this group for quite awhile! I'm Jen, and I live in NC. I'm currently a stay-at-home mom to my two boys (ages 5 and almost-2), and I'm finishing up my teaching certification to become a high school English teacher. I'm looking forward to jumping back in and participating again in 2012!

message 570: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 996 comments Welcome back, Jen B! Sounds like you keep busy!!

message 571: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (Taylor-Jasmin) | 2 comments Welcome Jen

message 572: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 4 comments Hello from Alabama! I'm Lynne, age 44 and married to a fantastically awesome guy. We have furry children - 2 dogs, 3 indoor cats and 1 outdoor cat.

I have been an avid reader since early childhood, though due to real life, I haven't had much time for reading for five years or so. until I found Goodreads last October and honestly, I've read more in the last 3 months than in the last 3 years. LOL

Anyway.. I tend to stay within my comfort zone of genres and when I found this group I really liked how it was set up and the opportunity to read outside my usual shelves, but not be 'forced' to read a book I didn't find interesting at all.
I really liked the idea of being able to choose from 1000+ books on a given shelf, it gets me out of my box while letting me find something I can relate to.

I'm looking forward to reading new genres with you guys and hoping to get to know y'all better :)

message 573: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 996 comments Ha! "Furry children." Love that! Welcome to the group, Lynne.

message 574: by Kerri (new)

Kerri  | 6 comments Hi, Kerri here. I'm a highschooler who loves reading (which is why I'm here). I think that this group will help me discover lots of new books, which is something I've had trouble with for a while. I will read anything from any genre as long as the summary and first chapter interests me, but most frequently read fantasy and science fiction. My least read genre would be school life/paranormal romance. My favorite books, in no particular order, would be:
1. Harry Potter (the series I grew up with)
2. The Book Thief
3. To Kill a Mockingbird
4. Ender's Game
Currently, I'm trying to find more good cyberpunk books.

My reading enthusiasm has been reinvigorated just by joining this group!

message 575: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 996 comments Hi, Kerri! Welcome! And a warning - this group and GR in general may have your to-read shelf bursting with more books than you could ever get to! :) At least that's been my experience.

message 576: by Susan (new)

Susan | 2412 comments Mod
Kerri wrote: "Hi, Kerri here. I'm a highschooler who loves reading (which is why I'm here). I think that this group will help me discover lots of new books, which is something I've had trouble with for a while. ..."

Kerri,
Welcome!
Check out Little Brother, by Cory Doctorow. Great cyberpunk! And once you've read that, you'll discover the author has lots of others, including short stories, and many of them are available free on line. He likes to publish under a creative commons license.

message 577: by Kerri (new)

Kerri  | 6 comments Thanks Susan, I'll check that out. I actually wouldn't have even considered that book on my own because of the cover...which would be unfortunate.

And Luann, that's good news because I prefer an overflowing to-read shelf over a sparse one!

message 578: by Mindy (new)

Mindy | 87 comments Hi everyone. My name is Mindy. I am Tina in Taipei, Taiwan's sister and I am here visiting her in Taipei from Kansas. I have finally joined Goodreads as Tina has been bugging me to do for years. You all are the first group I decided to join as this seems to be Tina's favorite group and one that I would enjoy also. I actually have a few of the books for this shelf waiting on my Kindle to be read, so I can't wait to get started!

message 579: by Tina (new)

Tina | 231 comments Yay! Hi Mindy :) I know that we're not the first sisters on here, but it's pretty cool that you've finally joined. You'll love it here!

message 580: by Tien (new)

Welcome, Mindy. Hope you do enjoy the different activities we have on the group :)

message 581: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 996 comments Welcome, Mindy! So great that you are joining GR and choosing us as your first group! I've convinced several family members to join GR, but then they tend not to do much here.

message 582: by Minttu (new)

Minttu (menthae) | 23 comments Hi, I'm Minttu from Finland. I'm a mother of two children aged 4 and almost 2 years and since they were born I haven't been reading that much. Last year I made it a point to get back into reading and it succeeded. I'm super excited to be back in the world of books.

Nice to meet you all :)

message 583: by Tien (new)

G'day, Minttu and Welcome!

Glad to see you're jumping straight into our game. I hope you like it :)

message 584: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leo23) | 129 comments Hi Minttu, and Welcome! I'm sure you will enjoy reading with us - it's a great group :)

message 585: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 996 comments Welcome, Minttu!

message 586: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann  | 81 comments Hi my name is Jo Ann I Just moved to Elkhart, Indiana last October and joined Goodreads in November so I'm still a newbie here. I came across your group yesterday and I think you guys are just what I've been looking for this year I've decided to push myself to read outside my usual genre zone. I like the idea you select an entire shelf not just certain books for your monthly read.

message 587: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1161 comments Jo Ann wrote: "Hi my name is Jo Ann I Just moved to Elkhart, Indiana last October and joined Goodreads in November so I'm still a newbie here. I came across your group yesterday and I think you guys are just what..."

Hi Jo Ann! Welcome to the group. I really enjoy being able to pick books within a shelf instead of just a particular book, too. And try the Snakes & Ladders game, it's fun seeing what genre you end up having to read!

message 588: by Tien (new)

Welcome, Jo Ann. Please do join us for the Snakes & Ladders game. It will definitely challenged you to read across the genre :)

message 589: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 996 comments Welcome, Jo Ann!

message 590: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 7 comments Hi I'm Maggie. I'm a college student in Virginia. I've jumped on the dystopian/apocalypse bandwagon and usually read YA. Tho I've been reading a lot of books for school recently (luckily they're interesting). I started Snakes and Ladders already, it seems like a lot of fun.

message 591: by Kauthar (new)

Kauthar hello my name is Kauthar (CoCo). i live in the USA. i absolutely love love to read. whenever i go to the library i would get at least 15 books or more. i like to read mostly romance books, also paranormal, mystery , comedy, anything really. except sad books. i dont know why but i always always cry when it has a sad ending. i want to be a photographer or any art related career.

message 592: by Tien (new)

Welcome, Kauthar.

Ditto on sad books!

I do have to restrain myself physically to borrow more books than I can carry. The good thing is, these days I go to the library with my little one so that really limits the number of books I can borrow ;)

message 593: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 996 comments Hi, Maggie and Kauthar. Welcome!

message 594: by Sian (new)

Sian (greatblueosian) | 2 comments Hello! I'm Sian and I live in balmy Brisbane, Australia. I've always loved throwing myself into fantasy books, but I really need to branch out. I would love some recommendations :) Love a book with strong character development and unpredictable plot.

Also, great idea ticking books off our To-Read shelves - mine seems to grow and never shrink!

Look forward to chatting with you all.

message 595: by Tien (new)

Welcome, Sian! Fantasy is my preferred genre too so it has been really good challenging myself to read everything else.

message 596: by Giulia (new)

Giulia | 16 comments Hi, I'm Giulia, from Italy. I'm 26 and working as corporate finance analyst (-_-)..
I'm here cause I'd like to expand my reading horizons (I'm stuck with PNR right now..)and really start to challenge myself..

I can't wait to start with Classics!!

message 597: by Tien (new)

Welcome Guilia!

Look forward to seeing you classics choice :)

message 598: by Esther (new)

Esther Hi! My name is Esther Ariadne and I live in the netherlands :) I am sixteen years old. i really enjoy reading and there are so so so so many books that I still want to read! I am slowely strating to get addicted to GR :) xxx

message 599: by Erika (new)

Erika | 19 comments Hi!
My name is Erika, there are so many books i want to read right now, and the list keeps growing!

I saw this group and thought it was an interesting idea, I really want to participate in the challenges, i hope it is not late to start :)

message 600: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1170 comments Welcome Erika and Esther! Nope, it's never to late to join. ;)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Devil's Arithmetic (other topics)
The Time Traveler's Wife (other topics)
To Say Nothing of the Dog (other topics)
Mona Lisa Awakening (other topics)
The Left Hand of Darkness (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ursula K. Le Guin (other topics)
Ellyn Bache (other topics)
Cory Doctorow (other topics)
John Steinbeck (other topics)
Patricia McCormick (other topics)
More...