Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Welcome & Ice Breakers > Introduce yourself

Comments (showing 601-650 of 936) (936 new)    post a comment »

message 601: by Keith (new)

Keith (Germanicus) | 1 comments Hello! My name is Keith. I have been a huge fan of books since I was a child..I'm so glad to have found and now become a member of this group!

message 602: by Talia (new)

Talia (taliafrench) Hello, my name is Talia. I'm excited to have found your group. I'm 27 years old, a wife and mom and beagle owner. I love reading, walking, and playing video games. I'm addicted to my public library and GRs. I also teach adult education part time during the school year. I look forward to getting to know everyone and reading outside some of my comfort zones.

message 603: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 5000 comments Mod
Talia wrote: "Hello, my name is Talia. I'm excited to have found your group. I'm 27 years old, a wife and mom and beagle owner. I love reading, walking, and playing video games. I'm addicted to my public lib..."

Hey, Talia. Welcome & I hope we'd be successful in challenging your reading :)

message 604: by Mike (last edited Jun 22, 2012 07:45AM) (new)

Mike Gabor (mikeyppl) Hi,

My name is Mike and I live in NYC. I noticed your pick-a-shelf challenge and thought it would be fun to join. This month I've picked Of Mice And Men by John Steinbeck.

Of Mice and Men by John SteinbeckJohn Steinbeck

message 605: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1175 comments Welcome, Mike! I'm in NYC as well. :) Hope you enjoy the group. :)

message 606: by Ebony (new)

Ebony Taylor | 95 comments Hi, my name is Ebony, I'm 24 and live in Sydney. I've only just started using goodreads, a friend showed it to me last week. I've always loved reading, and I think this group is a great idea! Ive been reading a lot of YA lately, and this sounds like a great way to expand my reading habits :)

message 607: by Tien (new)

Welcome, Mike & Ebony!

Btw, I'm in Sydney too, Ebony :)

message 608: by Inkeri (new)

Inkeri Hi, my name is Inkeri, I live in Finland and I'm not very good with introductions. :)

I like the idea of this group, which is the reason I joined, and I'm looking forward to finding new favorite genres. My favorite genres at the moment are fantasy, YA and chick lit.

I'm especially excited about the LOST-challenge and will be adding my lost-list soon.

message 609: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1175 comments Welcome Inkeri!

message 610: by Tien (new)

Hey, Inkeri, welcome to the group & I hope you will love exploring new genres with us :D

message 611: by Mike (new)

Mike (xolotl-ltolox) | 7 comments Hi there. I've made a lot of introductions over the last couple of days so I'll skip all that and just say that it's nice to have found such an interesting group.

message 612: by Tien (new)

Michael wrote: "Hi there. I've made a lot of introductions over the last couple of days so I'll skip all that and just say that it's nice to have found such an interesting group."

Hey Michael, I formally welcome you to the group lol
and really hope that you love your time here with us :D

message 613: by Rosa (new)

Rosa pearce (queen_of_the_weirdos) | 2 comments Hi im Rosa im from Oklahoma.I getting into reading again and im glad im a part of this group.

message 614: by Tien (new)

Rosa wrote: "Hi im Rosa im from Oklahoma.I getting into reading again and im glad im a part of this group."

Hi Rosa - I hope we can help in making your reading journey a pleasure :)

message 615: by Rosa (new)

Rosa pearce (queen_of_the_weirdos) | 2 comments Tien wrote: "Rosa wrote: "Hi im Rosa im from Oklahoma.I getting into reading again and im glad im a part of this group."

Hi Rosa - I hope we can help in making your reading journey a pleasure :)"

Thank you

message 616: by Meg (new)

Meg the Needle Finder (MegtheNeedleFinder) | 3 comments Hi, I am meg and I am from melbourne Australia, I tend to ignore everyone in my life so I can read and really love going to the library and picking random books from the shelves - I have found some great ones this way.

I have just gotten into reading ebooks with the apps on my phone, it's great to carry over 1000 books with me where ever I go :)

message 617: by Tien (new)

Meghann wrote: "Hi, I am meg and I am from melbourne Australia, I tend to ignore everyone in my life so I can read and really love going to the library and picking random books from the shelves - I have found some..."

Hey, Meg! That sounds so like me!

reading apps on phones are great! eReader is the next step ;)

message 618: by Meg (new)

Meg the Needle Finder (MegtheNeedleFinder) | 3 comments Hubby has a sony ereader which looks great - much easier on the eyes, I am coveting one for xmas actually!

message 619: by Erika (new)

Erika Hi, I'm Erika. I love the idea of this group. Usually, I have 2 or 3 books going at once and then I'll stall and not be able to make a decision what to read next so this group is perfect.

I used to be an 8th grade teacher but now I stay home with my 2 kiddos (2 1/2 and 4 months). I'm usually reading when I should be
Sleeping . ;)

message 620: by Tien (new)

Welcome, Erika.

I know what you mean! I hate those moments - how do they even happen, I have stacks of books at home & on my Kobo?! Doesn't matter where I am, I should be able to get onto the next book ;p

message 621: by Tien (new)

Meghann wrote: "Hubby has a sony ereader which looks great - much easier on the eyes, I am coveting one for xmas actually!"

Am partial to the Kobo myself :)

message 622: by Carrie (last edited Sep 23, 2012 02:04PM) (new)

Carrie  | 34 comments Hello, I'm Carrie. I just found this group thanks to another group I am in, Romance Readers Reading Challenges.

Over the past few months I've really gotten more involved addicted in doing challenges. I love to read pnr/uf, historical, fantasy, mystery. Outside of reading and goodreads, I enjoy baking and playing wow.

message 623: by Tien (new)

Carrie wrote: "Hello, I'm Carrie. I just found this group thanks to another group I am in, Romance Readers Reading Challenges.

Over the past few months I've really gotten more involved addicted in doing challeng..."

Hey, Carrie, welcome to the group!
I never got into WoW but I love baking too! when I have time, that is, but nothing beats eating your baked goods whilst reading!! :D

message 624: by Akhila (new)

Akhila (Knoxyoursoxoff) | 1 comments Hello : )
My name is Akhila, I live somewhere in Australia. I'm quite new to GoodReads and I just found out that you can join groups and this I really liked. I really liked how there was a different genre for each month and that really drew me in. I'm trying to make my way around this, still figuring stuff out. Very happy to be part of this. Thank you. : )

message 625: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  | 34 comments Tien wrote: "Hey, Carrie, welcome to the group!
I never got into WoW but I love baking too! when I have time, that is, but nothing beats eating your baked goods whilst reading!! :D "

Add a giant cup of coffee and you are set.

message 626: by Tien (new)

Akhila wrote: "Hello : )
My name is Akhila, I live somewhere in Australia. I'm quite new to GoodReads and I just found out that you can join groups and this I really liked. I really liked how there was a differen..."

G'Day, Akhila. Welcome to GR & this group! Glad you'd join us - do let us know if you have any questions / need any help navigating around GR ;)

message 627: by Tien (new)

Carrie wrote: "Add a giant cup of coffee and you are set. "

Oh yes, that is a MUST!
In fact, I need one right now...

message 628: by Tien (new)

Yileen wrote: "Hello! I'm Yileen, born in Malaysia, studied in New Zealand and currently doing my PhD in Australia. I'm always stuck in the non-fiction genre. I've never really gotten into YA or science fiction. ..."

Welcome, Yileen! I hope you are enjoying your stay in Australia ;)
We try to read across all genres though so I hope you'd try one or two even though YA / sci-fi isn't your thing :) Maybe you'll come across something else along the way.

message 629: by CassieV (new)

CassieV | 116 comments Hello everyone, I don't think I've introduced myself yet, though I've been floating around for a while :). I'm Cassie, and I am a stay at home mom with two little ones. I live in florida and I love the set up you all have here. Having to pick from all these different shelves is definitely stretching at times :). Looking forward to the french lit shelf this month!

message 630: by Tien (new)

CassieV wrote: "Hello everyone, I don't think I've introduced myself yet, though I've been floating around for a while :). I'm Cassie, and I am a stay at home mom with two little ones. I live in florida and I lo..."

Hey, CassieV - great to hear your 'voice' ;)
I hope it'll be a good stretch for you as it's been for us :)

message 631: by CassieV (new)

CassieV | 116 comments :) Yes, definitely been a good thing!

message 632: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina (Wordstained) | 1 comments I thought I would briefly introduce myself. I'm Sabrina. I found this group based on suggestions from the PBT group on Shelfari.

I live in the Midwest, work at a university, and am the mom of an 11 year-old boy.

message 633: by Tien (new)

Sabrina wrote: "I thought I would briefly introduce myself. I'm Sabrina. I found this group based on suggestions from the PBT group on Shelfari.

I live in the Midwest, work at a university, and am the mom of an..."

Hi, Sabrina, I hope you'd enjoy your visit to GR too ;)

message 634: by Susan (new)

Susan | 2479 comments Mod
Sabrina wrote: "I live in the Midwest, work at a university, and am the mom of an..."

Sabrina, Welcome from a fellow midwesterner! You're not IU in Bloomington, by any chance?

message 635: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (TessaBookConcierge) Hi, I'm Tessa (Book Concierge) and like Sabrina, I learned of this group through our mutual participation in the Play Book Tag group on Shelfari.

Still learning my way around.

message 636: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) Hi, I'm Carol. I live in New England (CT) and I always have my nose in a book! I like reading a variety of genres.

message 637: by Tien (new)

Hi Carol!
Do you read whilst walking too?

message 638: by Carol (last edited Nov 26, 2012 06:53PM) (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) Only on a treadmill!

message 639: by Tien (new)

Carol wrote: "Only on a treadmill!"

I cannot read on the treadmill - walking too fast for it but if I'm walking leisurely (to go home from train station after work) and I'm on that bit of a chapter, I would ;)

message 640: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) I like to walk outside either at dawn or dusk. The sky is amazingly beautiful, the colors are indescribable.

message 641: by Lilli (new)

Lilli (lilySRH) | 1 comments Hey! My name is Lilly and I live in Omaha, Ne. I have just found out about this app and I have to say I'm so excited! I'm obsessed with reading and have been most my life. I have to admit though I have always been drawn towards "horror, *suspense, thrill". I started with Goosebumps and such and went to John Saul, Patricia Cornwell, and Karin Slaughter. I think this is the perfect group for me because I always say I will try something different! I do believe there are plenty of other genres I would enjoy, but it is so hard not to pick what Ialways do. I look forward to the new readings and exciting challenges!

message 642: by Tien (new)

Lilli wrote: "Hey! My name is Lilly and I live in Omaha, Ne. I have just found out about this app and I have to say I'm so excited! I'm obsessed with reading and have been most my life. I have to admit though I ..."

Welcome, Lilly! I hope you've had a very good Christmas :)

You sounded just like me actually - I went from Famous Five to RL Stine (Fear Street?) then Patricia Cornwell, Kathy Reichs & co. I've since read a lot of other stuff ;) I hope that you'd have lots of fun being challenged!

message 643: by Darci (new)

Darci (luminique) | 32 comments Hello,

I'm Darci from Maryland, and I have to say how thrilled I am to find a group like this. It's just so easy to get stuck in a reading rut and I'm excited to discover new genres and authors that I might not hear of elsewhere. My usual reads tend to fall on the sci-fi/fantasy shelves, but I do branch out sometimes. I'm looking forward to interesting conversation here!

message 644: by Tien (new)

Welcome, Darci.
I love my fantasy, its my comfort read :)

message 645: by Jean (new)

Jean | 26 comments Hi! I'm Jean from Idaho. I'm joining so I can play your "Book-a-Fort" game. It sounds like a lot of fun!

message 646: by Tien (new)

Welcome, Jean! Do join in the fun :)

message 647: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 575 comments Hi Jean (mom)! This is the first group I ever joined and its lots of fun. I'm glad you joined!

message 648: by Tien (new)

Lahni wrote: "Hi Jean (mom)! This is the first group I ever joined and its lots of fun. I'm glad you joined!"

Ooh, did I read that right? Is Jean your mum, Lahni?

message 649: by Jean (new)

Jean | 26 comments Tien wrote: "Lahni wrote: "Hi Jean (mom)! This is the first group I ever joined and its lots of fun. I'm glad you joined!"

Ooh, did I read that right? Is Jean your mum, Lahni?"

Yes! I'm Lahni's mum! Lucky me!! :)

message 650: by Talia (new)

Talia (MissTalia) | 41 comments Hi, my name is Talia and I live in Arizona in a small town midway between Phoenix and Tucson. It is currently freezing here (38 degrees!), so I will be staying indoors this winter reading lots of novels. I usually read mysteries, YA, and classics, but I'm looking forward to trying out new genres in this group.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Devil's Arithmetic (other topics)
The Time Traveler's Wife (other topics)
To Say Nothing of the Dog (other topics)
Mona Lisa Awakening (other topics)
The Left Hand of Darkness (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ursula K. Le Guin (other topics)
Ellyn Bache (other topics)
Cory Doctorow (other topics)
John Steinbeck (other topics)
Patricia McCormick (other topics)
More...