YA LGBT Books discussion

Author Info & Writing Discussion > Group Member Goodreads Authors

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Kaje (last edited Nov 03, 2014 04:05PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 9067 comments Hi everyone - Byron, who maintains this list, has been pretty busy. Since I can't edit his list, I'm going to add new names here, until I have time to put the two lists together. (An asterisk indicates an author with Young Adult books published.)

*Andrew J. Peters
Anthony Heetland
*Benjamin Shepherd QuiƱones
*Brent Hartinger
*C. (Cody) Kennedy
*Cheryl Rainfield
*D.E. Atwood
*E. Summers
*Ellen Mulholland
*Jay Jordan Hawke
*Johanna Parkhurst
*Logan Kain
*Matt Juhl
*Mia Kerick
*Michael Barakiva
*Rachel Eliason
*Robin Reardon
Stacia Seaman

message 3: by Kaje (last edited Dec 01, 2013 11:21AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 9067 comments Welcome to new authors. If you post below, I'll get you onto the list. Please make sure any book of yours that is LGBT YA is on our bookshelves here. Be sure to add all appropriate tags (sub-category shelves), since those are how people search the shelves to find stuff they want to try. If I miss someone or mis-categorize your work, please let me know.

This is our bookshelf guidelines thread : https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... and it has directions. If you still can't work it out, let me know.

Johanna Parkhurst | 4 comments Hey there! I'm the author of Here's to You, Zeb Pike. I'm new to GoodReads, so I'm having a bad tech moment and can't figure out how to add my book to the shelf. ;) Can I find directions somewhere? Thanks!

message 5: by Kaje (last edited Dec 01, 2013 11:22AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 9067 comments Johanna wrote: "Hey there! I'm the author of Here's to You, Zeb Pike. I'm new to GoodReads, so I'm having a bad tech moment and can't figure out how to add my book to the shelf. ;) Can I find directions somewhere?..."

Sure. This is our bookshelf guidelines : https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... and it has directions. If you still can't work it out, let me know. (I added this to the box above too - good idea.)

Welcome and I'll get you on our author list too.

E. Summers (esummers) | 57 comments Hi Kaje. I'm E. Summers My book Beneath Angel's Wings is on the group shelves :). Thanks for all your work in updating the author list!

message 7: by Kaje (last edited Dec 01, 2013 04:29PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 9067 comments E. wrote: "Hi Kaje. I'm E. Summers My book Beneath Angel's Wings is on the group shelves :). Thanks for all your work in updating the author list!"

Got you added :) BTW your name on GR for search has an extra blank space between the E. and the Summers, making a regular lookup fail (although you can be found by book title or by adding the extra space.)

message 8: by Rainbowheart (last edited Dec 01, 2013 04:27PM) (new)

Rainbowheart | 491 comments Is there another YA LGBT group besides this one? There are a ton of authors of well-known queer books on Goodreads but maybe they don't know about this group? I dunno because I barely recognize anyone on that list.

E. Summers (esummers) | 57 comments Kaje wrote: "E. wrote: "Hi Kaje. I'm E. Summers My book Beneath Angel's Wings is on the group shelves :). Thanks for all your work in updating the author list!"

Got you added..."

Thanks so much for the head's up. I'll see if can fix it.

Kaje Harper | 9067 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Is there another YA LGBT group besides this one? There are a ton of authors of well-known queer books on Goodreads but maybe they don't know about this group? I dunno because I barely recognize any..."

I haven't found one, although I may be searching wrong. There are a lot of Young Adult Books groups that are not specifically LGBT, but may have LGBT sections? Also, the only authors on that list above are the ones who posted here and requested it (I've cleaned up old requests); others may be members, but not listed - you can check the "Members" listing for the group. And then there are authors who no doubt don't know we exist. Alex Sanchez only just started blogging on GR, for example. But I don't feel like I should recruit people.

Rainbowheart | 491 comments Cool, thanks. Maybe over time more famous people will join, lol. I notice there's so much self-pubbed stuff on here. Not many major books talked about at all. I found it surprising when I joined because I figured the focus would be more on the publishing industry side of YA LGBT.

Kaje Harper | 9067 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Cool, thanks. Maybe over time more famous people will join, lol. I notice there's so much self-pubbed stuff on here. Not many major books talked about at all. I found it surprising when I joined be..."

We started mostly with M/M fans and authors who wanted to support a teen too young for the adult book group. So the expansion came from there. I don't know if the bigger authors have other places that are more valuable to them than GR for publicity. The smaller authors tend to look for places that they fit, and we're one of them. (Just as I went looking for the M/M Goodreads group, but you won't find JR Ward or Ella Frank on there.)

Rainbowheart | 491 comments Oh that makes sense! I was wondering why the focus seemed so much on the m/m romance side. I don't read that genre so am a little out of my element, lol.

Kaje Harper | 9067 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Oh that makes sense! I was wondering why the focus seemed so much on the m/m romance side. I don't read that genre so am a little out of my element, lol."

Yes, it's a combo of the origins (as the YA M/M Group at first) and the fact that there really is a lot more m/m available in both YA and Adult.

message 15: by Rainbowheart (last edited Dec 01, 2013 05:11PM) (new)

Rainbowheart | 491 comments Probably so. I added lots of lesbian and non-romance stuff to the shelf, so that might help broaden things up a bit!

Kaje Harper | 9067 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Probably so. I added lots of lesbian and non-romance stuff to the shelf, so that might help broaden things up a bit!"

I saw that!! I loved all the additions - thank you so much. You put a lot of new books up for us.

Jay Hawke (JayJordanHawke) | 27 comments Please add me to the list. I'm Jay Jordan Hawke, author of Pukawiss the Outcast. This group rocks!

Kaje Harper | 9067 comments Jay wrote: "Please add me to the list. I'm Jay Jordan Hawke, author of Pukawiss the Outcast. This group rocks!"

Got you :)

Again, new authors will go on the second list until we work out how to combine them.

Ellen Kaje wrote: "Hi everyone - Byron, who maintains this list, has been pretty busy. Since I can't edit his list, I'm going to add new names here, until I have time to put the two lists together. (An asterisk indic..."

Thanks for doing this, Kaje!

D.E. Atwood (DEAtwood) | 3 comments Hi! Please add me to the list. I am D.E. Atwood, author of IF WE SHADOWS (which I just put on the shelves). This group is awesome and I'm excited to go through it to find some new things to read!

Kaje Harper | 9067 comments I'll get you listed. Welcome.

Destin Hicks (Dhicks) | 48 comments "Moderatrix Lori" huh?

lol, I thought ypu might be one of my professors in real life, but then I was like, "Nah - no way. She would never imply she was a dom." ;)

Destin Hicks (Dhicks) | 48 comments *you

Raven Xavier (RavenXavier) | 33 comments You should add Cheryl Rainfield... Her books have lesbian characters... she is an awesome writer.. I own all her books in one form or another.... I love her work...

message 25: by C. (new)

C. Kennedy | 144 comments Please add me to the list! Thank you!
C. (Cody) Kennedy

Kaje Harper | 9067 comments C. wrote: "Please add me to the list! Thank you!
C. (Cody) Kennedy"

Wow, I can't believe you're not there! Done.

message 27: by C. (new)

C. Kennedy | 144 comments Kaje wrote: "C. wrote: "Please add me to the list! Thank you!
C. (Cody) Kennedy"

Wow, I can't believe you're not there! Done."

Thanks so much, Kaje!

Kaje Harper | 9067 comments I should do the combined list at some point. I'm not keeping up on all the housekeeping here. But thanks for the reminder.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Beneath Angel's Wings (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

R.J. Scott (other topics)
Xara X. Xanakas (other topics)
Michele L. Montgomery (other topics)
Pia Veleno (other topics)
K.Z. Snow (other topics)
More...