The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Nominations & Voting > November Nominations.

Comments (showing 1-32 of 32) (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) | 1996 comments Mod
It seems that most of us would welcome a one book month for November, so that's what we'll do...

November is meant to be a classic month. (October was an anomaly in that it was open to either modern or classic within the theme.) So make your nomination selections from the classics on the Original WB List. And let's get started!

Nominations will close and voting will begin on (or around) the 22nd as usual.

message 2: by Angie (last edited Sep 19, 2008 08:12AM) (new)

Angie | 511 comments Beloved by Toni Morrison

Seems like a good book to read in November, that we should be thankful for civil rights.

message 4: by Dini, the master of meaning (new)

Dini | 691 comments Mod
1984 by George Orwell. No specific theme in mind, just that I bought the book last week and want to read it, hee.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

message 6: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
I have RACKED MY BRAIN trying to come up with a theme-related book. And I can't do it. I did find out that Louisa May Alcott (Little Women) wrote a book called An Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving, but, it's not on the list of course (I may read it for November if anyone wants to join me).

So...I echo

1. Beloved

message 7: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 197 comments A Confederacy of Dunces, not that it has anything to do with Thanksgiving, I've just been wanting to read it.

message 8: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Hey gang... if you list your book nomination so that it has a link, they now have a list of the books mentioned on the right. It would make it extremely easy for me if everyone would do that from now on. Thanks!

Oh, and they make it excessively easy to do now - just look directly below the comment box opposite the post button and it says "add book/author." Easy-peasy.

message 9: by Dottie (last edited Sep 19, 2008 12:03PM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments But Confederacy of Dunces is a link and hasn't shown up nor did any of Robbie's list as it is linked differently. Just noticing.

Sorry, this post confused things, Michele! I just wanted to give you a heads up that they weren't all showoing up over there to the right! It may self-correct but -- just in case, you know.

message 10: by Joanie (last edited Sep 19, 2008 07:59AM) (new)

Joanie | 197 comments When I click on Confederacy of Dunces it links to the book and when I clicked on Robbie's links they work too. Not sure if others are having trouble.

message 11: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 197 comments Oh, I see what you're saying. Let's see if it works.
A Confederacy of Dunces

message 12: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 197 comments Now I added it twice, sorry!

message 13: by Dottie (last edited Sep 19, 2008 12:01PM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Oops -- now I've got folks confused -- my earlier post should have been addressed directly to Michele -- it was a "heads up" for her since she was looking to use the new list feature at the right. I'm not sure why some are showing to the right and others are not -- just wanted to be sure no books got left off the list for voting -- though I know Michele wouldn't let that happen otherwise, I just thought it worth noting in case the list doesn't correct itself eventually. All the links were working -- just that the books aren't showing in that list to the right hand side there.

And, Joanie, you could delete those last few posts to UNduplicate your nomination, there's a spot to check or click somewhere on the edit post page.

message 14: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

As long as you do the html link it does show up - and it says how many times it's mentioned. You just have to click on the "More..." button. So that's why I was hoping instead of giving the links, you make the book titles links. As I said, easiest way is with the "add book/author" button.

Gang, please, please remember that we are nominating CLASSICS from the ORIGINAL WB LIST. Anything not meeting those parameters will not be on the final voting list. I just don't want anyone upset later on. Thanks!

And don't worry... I'll make sure that books nominated which for whatever reason don't make it to the list to the right are on the voting list - so long as they meet those requirements. Cheers.

message 15: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Well -- I didn't see THAT -- there's a more button! Heh, -- I'll just hang my head and slink off into my corner and wait to see what new wonderful book y'all choose for me to read next!

I will venture to say that the Mencken sounds good for November -- you know -- philosophical musings and all that -- fits Thanksgiving and the election both, don't you think?

As you were.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa The Scarlet Letter

message 17: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments I'm trying this post thing, but I'm not sure it will work.A Moveable FeastFranny and ZooeyAn American TragedyBrave New World
I got these all from our classics book shelf, so they should be okay

message 18: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Well, it's not pretty, but they're added to the list.

message 19: by Arctic (last edited Sep 23, 2008 08:38AM) (new)

Arctic | 571 comments I edited my nomination post to add a book description, as goodreads and amazon are lacking, and I really do agree with Dottie - A Mencken Chrestomathy is a good blend of thanksgiving and politics for November.

message 20: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 197 comments Are we going to be voting using the poll feature this time? We used it in one of my other groups and it worked well but I know here we get a few votes so I'm not sure how it would work out. Just curious.

message 21: by Angie (new)

Angie | 511 comments I like to see what people are voting for personally.. I guess you can see that with the poll option too though right? I don't know how we would do our top three picks though with the poll feature.

message 22: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

While I very much want to read A Mencken Chrestomathy, I don't believe it is on that list. If we want to change the parameters of our selecting we can, but it seems difficult to do mid-process.

Voting via pole feature is not an option if we want to have multiple votes.

message 23: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

The Catcher in the Rye
Flowers for Algernon
Of Mice and Men
Night
Hamlet
The Portable Dorothy Parker

All seem to fit the fall feeling. And maybe Dorothy Parker is a fair trade for the Mencken. I thought shorter but vital literature might be smart... until I got to the Parker. I've read a couple of them, but most I haven't and very much want to. One I haven't and have never wanted to, but definitely will with the group - and will likely love the experience even if I hate the book!

message 24: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

And thanks Robbie for going to all that trouble to post your nominations the different way. You rock!

message 25: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Oh, but Robbie the Salinger and Hemingway you nominated are not on the WB list, but I nominated the Salinger that is. I'll go ahead and add the Hemingway that is as well...

The Sun Also Rises

And I'm going to add one that was nominated in previous months to hopefully give more options to all of you whose nominations aren't on that Original WB Classics List...

The Awakening

And now nominations will close... because I didn't realize the date!

I'm really sorry to all whose nominations didn't make it. We can discuss if we want to change the selection pool if you like, but let's wait until this voting is over to do so. As a group we had decided on this route because we thought getting through the original list was quite a project to undertake as a group and we wanted to get through it first. Please know that you are free to start threads in the "Other Book Discussions" folder to talk about any of the books you nominated that didn't make it which you want to read right away. Thanks gang.

message 26: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments How can the Mencken book not be eligible? It MUST be on the original WB list as the book figured prominently in the plot of at least one episode and I believe in another. If it isn't on the original list then that is the fault of the WB list compiler. The book certainly is listed on the classics shelf in the groups shelves and since we know it was definitely part of an episode -- why not include it? Just curious and wondering if our WB list is complete here.

message 27: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

I promise you it is complete. I'm sorry if I've upset anyone. As I said, I'm only going by the rules we all decided on. And, while I remember the book clearly in the series and bought it because of the episode (the first one - second at the lastest), I feel like I need to honor our decision - especially because some might think it unfair to make one exception, but not the others.

After we decide November's book, we can discuss this and determine as a group if we want to change it... maybe going with the "List of Best" instead of only the "Original WB List." But we had made it as it is because there are just so many on this one (original WB list) and all of them important and mostly wonderful.

The other option is to leave things as they are, but include the volume sooner as a companion book. I think that's why we decided to go the route we did, because the others (books from the more extensive lists) can be brought in that way if we like. Remember, there are 118 books on the Original WB List... that's a lot to cover.

(By the way, the book wasn't a plot point, but it was one of the first connections between Richard and Rory, so it had significance to be sure.)

message 28: by Arctic (last edited Sep 24, 2008 03:20PM) (new)

Arctic | 571 comments LMAO! yeah leave it to me to nominate something not on the official list...sorry Michele. I coulda sworn it was there.

I agree, Dottie, it's ridiculous that it's not on the list BUT the WB list was never really about the books featured on the show so much as hypothetical book recommendations by Rory. And since we've decided as a group to stick just with the WB list, Mencken definitely shouldn't be up for consideration. I'm removing my nomination.

I already bought me a copy and will be reading it anyway though, if any one wants to join me. :)

edited to add - posted this before reading Michele's last comment.

message 29: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Okay by me -- I hadn't realized the original WB list was that flaky but obviously I was mistaken!
And I'm not upset -- just frustrated with the WB list as from my earlier post: If it isn't on the original list then that is the fault of the WB list compiler. (Is compiler a word -- it looks and sounds odd?) And you are correct that it was the early connection between Rory and Richard rather than actually a part of the plot in the episode. Alles goed (that's Dutch for everything's fine).

Arctic -- I'm going to find a copy of this and read it but think I'll wait and see what the official November book is first before diving into it. I am going to have too many books going in November as it is, I think.

Okay -- as you were -- go vote everybody.

message 30: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 197 comments I posted this in the voting thread too but I had nominated Confederacy of Dunces which is on the original WB list but it didn't end up on the list of books for November. Did it miss some other criteria?

message 31: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Sep 25, 2008 08:45AM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
Maybe we can try Mencken again as a companion nomination??

:)

message 32: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Confederacy of Dunces is not labeled a classic, but a modern. Sorry, Joanie!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

1984 (other topics)
Vanity Fair (other topics)
The Bell Jar (other topics)
The Scarlet Letter (other topics)
Beloved (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Dorothy Parker (other topics)
H.L. Mencken (other topics)
Ernest Hemingway (other topics)