Christian Historical Fiction discussion

Civil War fiction

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Morgan | 11 comments can anyone recommend some new/recent Christian fiction set in Civil War times? Thanks very much.

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 41 comments Peggy, The Shenandoah Sisters series by Michael Phillips and the Refiner's Fire series by Lynn Austin are set during the time of the civil war and are very good if you haven't already read them. You might also like Love Finds You In Liberty, Indiana, which is about the underground railroad in the 1850's.

message 3: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Morgan | 11 comments Thanks Barbara. I'm new to reading Christian fiction and appreciate your suggestions.

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 41 comments You're very welcome. I love Christian historical fiction, and may be able to think of more later. Those are just some that came to mind first. The civil war and the underground railroad are favorites of mine to read about!

message 5: by Christy (new)

Christy (southernsassygirl) | 9 comments Peggy, I second Barbara's recommendation of the Shenandoah Sisters series by Michael Phillips. I can still remember the way I felt when I read the very first book...wow!

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Jennafraugh) | 313 comments Gilbert Morris has a series called the Appomattox Saga...there's ten books in that one. And, part of his House of Winslow series goes through Civil War near the end of the series.

message 7: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Morgan | 11 comments Thanks Christy and Jennifer! There's more out there than I thought!

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Jennafraugh) | 313 comments Gilbert morris has a ton set in different war eras. He has a new series that just started that is also set in Civil War times. The Last Cavalier Series, The Crossing is the first in the series. The second book is coming out soon.

So does Brock and Bodie Thoene, but they are more WWI and WWII authors.

Louie M Gouge has one called Civil War Trilogy, and Michael Phillips also has Carolina Cousins.

I work at a Christian bookstore, so I know more than most! lol OH, and Lori Copeland has a new Civil War series that is coming out later this year.

message 9: by Leah (new)

Leah Banicki (leahbanicki) | 2 comments another civil war series you may like is th bride series from Tracey Jackson. I have read The Bride Price and started The Bride Found

Hope you like it!

message 10: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Morgan | 11 comments Thank you, Leah. I appreciate everyone's suggestions.

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Jennafraugh) | 313 comments There's also one in the Love Finds You In series that is about the Underground Railroad. I really enjoyed it!Love Finds You in Liberty, Indiana

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie | 18 comments Lynn Austin's "The Refiner's Fire" is probably one of the best civil war series I have ever read (Christian or non-Christian fiction). Lynn Austin also have several good WW2 books if you're interested in that time period...

message 13: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Morgan | 11 comments Thanks, Katie. I've read some Lynn Austin but wasn't aware that she had written any civil war titles. I really loved her book, While We're Far Apart. Have you read it?

message 14: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Morgan | 11 comments Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. You've been immensely helpful!

message 15: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (bookexplorer) | 9 comments Actually - Lynn Austin's "The Refiner's Fire" is part of a 3 book series and it is excellent. I know this post is old, but the books are "historical" anyway...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Bride Found (other topics)
The Bride Price (other topics)
Love Finds You in Liberty, Indiana (other topics)
While We're Far Apart (other topics)