Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising discussion

Book piracy > More EBook Piracy?

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Larry (new)

Larry Moniz (LarryMoniz) | 180 comments According to the EBookNewser publishing newsletter:
3M to Debut New Digital Library Platform This Week
By Nate Hoffelder on June 20, 2011 1:20 PM
Attendees are just about to depart for the ALA conference in New Orleans this week, and there’s a major announcement waiting for them. 3M plans to unveil the 3M Cloud Library at the ALA Annual Conference, which starts on June 23.
3m will be demoing the new system in its booth, and it plans to offer sneak peaks of the new hardware like the Discovery terminals and the 3M eReaders. 3M is also pleased to announce that it has added HarperCollins and Sourcebooks to its growing list of partners. This now makes 4 publishers announced so far, including IPG and Random House. More partners could be announced later this week.
The new digital library will go into beta testing this summer, and 3M has revealed the names of some of the libraries, including Saint Paul Public Library (MN), Bergen County Cooperative Library System (NJ), Maricopa County Library District (AZ), Douglas County Libraries (CO), Darien Library (CT), Richland County Public Library (SC), and the State Library of Kansas on behalf of the Kansas Digital Library Consortium.
Without changes to copyright laws regarding distribution of multiple copies without paying royalties, I fail to understand how this technology can be applied without infringing on intellectual property rights.

message 2: by Rowena (new)

Rowena (Rowenacherry) | 332 comments Mod
I don't understand it, either, Larry.

message 3: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Fox | 3 comments I know the Seattle Public Library doesn't lend out more digital copies than it buys. The software the patrons use for borrowing deletes the books on the patrons machines when the book is due, so the library can lend it out again. I'm sure all the libraries are following this method.

message 4: by Larry (last edited Nov 12, 2011 08:49PM) (new)

Larry Moniz (LarryMoniz) | 180 comments With all due respect, do you actually "Know" this as a fact, based on third party information or a supposition? The same applies to your last sentence. Since libraries buy from various sources how is that possible?

Self-Promotion for Authors by Larry Moniz Murder in the Pinelands (Inside Story) by Larry Moniz Dead Storage by Larry Moniz The Rebellion by Larry Moniz

message 5: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Fox | 3 comments Don't take my word for it, do your own research.

message 6: by Larry (last edited Nov 13, 2011 12:21PM) (new)

Larry Moniz (LarryMoniz) | 180 comments Nice attitude! I have, I think you're wrong. Also, what types of libraries are you talking about? Or should I do my own research on what you mean?

Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Murder in the Pinelands (other topics)
The Rebellion (other topics)
Dead Storage (other topics)
Self-Promotion for Authors (other topics)