Best Teen Books discussion

Best Title Ever...

Comments (showing 1-50 of 56) (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by J-Lynn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:00PM) (new)

J-Lynn (JVanPelt) | 19 comments At the recent ALA conference, I got an advanced copy of the book Spanking Shakespeare by Jake Wizner. A seriously great title--I wanted to read it without even knowing what it was about!

What other books would you nominate for Best Title Ever?

message 2: by Alia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:05PM) (new)

Alia | 1 comments The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler

message 3: by bjneary (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:07PM) (new)

bjneary | 236 comments I LUV ALL Of HER BOOKS, especially this one. Have you read Vegan, Virgin, Valentine and her latest Guyaholic? Really recommend them all!

message 4: by Dorian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Dorian Johnson (dorian_tolivia) | 11 comments OMG! I read the Earth, My butt and other big round things!!
good read

message 5: by Tricia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:11PM) (new)

Tricia | 12 comments Okay, it's not teen, but the best title ever had to be Click Clack Moo. It's too catchy not to love.

Teen-wise, I'm sticking with Fat Kid Rules the World. Great title, great character, great book.

message 6: by bjneary (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

bjneary | 236 comments I was an elementary librarian for 6 years and I absolutely loved Click Clack Moo Cows That Type- but I have to admit Fat Kid is a book that I love to booktalk and students grab it off the shelves all the time.

message 7: by Abby (new)

Abby Johnson (abbylibrarian) I love Jordan Sonnenblick's titles... "Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie", "Notes from the Midnight Driver", and "Zen and the Art of Faking It". (All great books, by the way!)

message 8: by Tiff (last edited Jan 14, 2008 05:27AM) (new)

Tiff (TiffE) | 8 comments I really can't pick ONE. Sorry.

Here are my best titles ever for teens:
1. 'Goose Girl' by Shannon Hale
2. 'The Book Thief' by Marcus Zusak
3. 'Uglies' by Scott Westerfeld
4. 'Stargirl' by Jerry Spinelli
5. 'Gossamer' by Lois Lowry
6. 'The Giver' by Lois Lowry

message 9: by Trina (new)

Trina (trieb) | 1 comments Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians (by Brandon Sanderson) is one of my favorite titles of the past year. It's also a pretty funny book.

My absolute favorite titles are the type that don't mean much to a reader until they actually read the book, like A Wrinkle in Time or To Kill a Mockingbird. The Giver falls into that as well.

message 10: by Erica (new)

Erica (libraryknitr) | 1 comments A book I haven't read but love the title of is Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko.

message 11: by bjneary (new)

bjneary | 236 comments Totally awesome, funny book- deals with historical issues of children with disabilities but a book I totally recommend for everyone to read and enjoy.

message 12: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (Stacy_G_K) | 8 comments Rats Saw God
Bucking the Sarge

message 13: by Lenka (new)

Lenka Craigova (LenkaCraigova) | 1 comments Some good ones are...

-Hope Was Here
-Pride and Prejudice
-A Mango-Shaped Space
-A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
-Speak
-Holes
-Tuck Everlasting

message 14: by bjneary (new)

bjneary | 236 comments Loved both of these- but I have a difficult time booktalking Rats Saw God so it doesn't go out as much as I would like.

Bucking the Sarge is such a funny read- they all love the part about Chauncey the condom that lives in Luther's wallet and selfless Sparky saving his buddy once again!

message 15: by Grace (new)

Grace | 12 comments Hmm, I'd say Tuck Everlasting, Jacob have I Loved, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Princess Bride, Role of Thunder Hear My Cry, The Book Thief... I'll probably add more later.

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Any of Louise Rennison's book titles are at the top of my list for Best Title. The books are great too.

message 17: by Beth (new)

Beth (bibliocat4) | 9 comments I second Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians! I read that book based on the title along and it was a FUNNY book! (And I am reading Al Capone Does My Shirts right now).

message 18: by Kim (new)

Kim | 47 comments I love Stargirl for its simplicity, Perks of Being a Wallflower because it made me laugh out loud in the middle of a Borders, Jacob Have I Loved (great one!) for the formality of it, What Happened to Lani Garver? because it's a pitch AND a title at the same time, and Not As Crazy as I Seem...hmmm, maybe that one just struck a cord!

message 19: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (Stacy_G_K) | 8 comments Great chocies, Kim!!! They're also great books!

message 20: by Roni (new)

Roni (V_A_B) I agree with Al Capone Does my Shirts. It was a pretty good book too.
I also like the title Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Free Throws. And I like I was a Non-Blonde Cheerleader. And a book I bought recently but havn't read yet is called Kiss My Book.

message 21: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (booksandbows) | 17 comments Suite Scarlett is a clever title, I think, and Size Twelve Is Not Fat is also cute.

message 22: by Beth (new)

Beth (bibliocat4) | 9 comments I haven't read either of these books yet but I like the titles:

Anatomy of a Boyfriend by Dana Snadowsky
The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

message 23: by Cutter100 (new)

Cutter100 | 2 comments I love the title of If I Should Die before I Wake by Han Nolan, I think, even though I didn't really like the book all that much.

message 24: by Haley (new)

Haley Ellis (BeautifullyBroken) | 8 comments 'Thirteen Reasons Why' Jay Ahser
'Just Listen' Sarah Dessen

my top two best reads of summer '09!! =]

message 25: by Arminzerella (new)

Arminzerella | 1 comments Rats Saw God - Rob Thomas - is one of my favorite YA books ever. I also liked Spanking Shakespeare, and pretty much anything by Robin McKinley (though, Blue Sword and Hero & the Crown are still my favorites).

message 26: by carole (last edited Aug 12, 2009 01:21PM) (new)

carole (aTitleSummer) No More Dead Dogs is a fun title, its more for younger teens, especially boys!
Another funny title is Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key.

message 27: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (miss_jenlv) | 3 comments I agree that the Georgia Nicolson books by Louise Rennison have hilarious titles! I'm looking forward to reading Going Bovine based on the title (and the cover!) but I've always loved Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.

message 28: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Mikesell lambert | 1 comments I love the titles Fat Kid Rules the World by K.L. Going, The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary Pearson, and King Dork by Frank Portman. I've booktalked Jenna Fox for middle school but I haven't had a chance to present Fat Kid or King Dork yet since we don't usually do high school book talks. Still, they're all great books. I also love The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks. The opening letter really catches the reader.

message 29: by Yvette (new)

Yvette Adams (yvadams) | 12 comments Erica wrote: "A book I haven't read but love the title of is Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko."

I've read this book, it's cute and has a sweet ending.

message 30: by Yvette (new)

Yvette Adams (yvadams) | 12 comments .carole. wrote: "No More Dead Dogs is a fun title, its more for younger teens, especially boys!
Another funny title is Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key."

I read a Joey Pigza book and fell in love with it. It fit my life as a special ed teacher.

message 31: by Amberdenise (new)

Amberdenise Puckett (Gabidenise) | 7 comments .carole. wrote: "No More Dead Dogs is a fun title, its more for younger teens, especially boys!

I swear "No More Dead Dogs" is haunting me. . . I had to use it all summer for a Battle of the Books. . .

message 32: by Amberdenise (new)

Amberdenise Puckett (Gabidenise) | 7 comments I really like the Title Does This Book Make Me Look Fat?

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Go Ask Alice :]

message 34: by Yvette (new)

Yvette Adams (yvadams) | 12 comments Gabriela wrote: "Go Ask Alice :]"

yes, my favorite!!!

message 35: by Yvette (new)

Yvette Adams (yvadams) | 12 comments Gabi wrote: ".carole. wrote: "No More Dead Dogs is a fun title, its more for younger teens, especially boys!

I swear "No Mor..."

Was 'Dead Dogs' good?

message 36: by Amberdenise (new)

Amberdenise Puckett (Gabidenise) | 7 comments Yvette wrote: "Gabi wrote: ".carole. wrote: "No More Dead Dogs is a fun title, its more for younger teens, especially boys!

I ..."

It's not my favorite book nor is it my least favorite. I didn't like how every chapter was an alternating POV and I didn't like how being honest was portrayed as a bad thing.

message 37: by Nina (new)

Nina | 32 comments Pride and Prejudice, Generation dead and Sucks to be me! :)

message 38: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Kuska | 5 comments I picked up "Heroics for Beginners" based purely on the title. Who could not love a book with a title like that?

Unfortunately I never did get to finish reading it because my mother stole it from me. -.- She keeps saying she'll give it back...after she's reread it just one more time. >.<

message 39: by Ursina (new)

Ursina (farmersdaughter) | 2 comments I like all of Ally Carter's titles, they are cute. I also like "Give up the Ghost" by Megan Crewe because its the english translation of a Swiss German cliche and the cliche's meaning totally matches the book.

message 40: by Dija (new)

Dija I love the title Something, Maybe. Something about how sweet it sounds, and like it's filled with potential or something. I just love it, pure and simple.

message 41: by bjneary (new)

bjneary | 236 comments Lazuline, I loved Something, Maybe too by Elizabeth Scott and I just loved the way she handled the characters, their drama, their humor, theie insecurity---it made me read Bloom and I liked that also.

message 42: by Dija (last edited Nov 18, 2009 04:24PM) (new)

Dija @bj: Exactly. I love it, but I can't put my finger on exactly what I love about it. Just the entire book as a whole.

I've read all of her other titles. Perfect You was great and I liked Bloom too. But Something, Maybe's still my favorite.

message 43: by Patty (new)

Patty | 5 comments The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

message 44: by Aimee (new)

Aimee Dillon (aimeethegreat) Haley wrote: "'Thirteen Reasons Why' Jay Ahser
'Just Listen' Sarah Dessen

my top two best reads of summer '09!! =] "

I adored th1rteen r3asons why. Such an amazing book. Interestingly enough a lot of teens have witten fan fiction about it, changing the ending. (Not wanting girls to die)

message 45: by Megan (new)

Megan | 15 comments How about

A Great and Terrible Beauty
You are so Undead to Me
How to Say Goodbye in Robot
and
Into the Wild Nerd Yonder

message 46: by Patty (new)

Patty | 5 comments The Forest of Hands and Teeth
The Knife of Never Letting Go

message 47: by bjneary (new)

bjneary | 236 comments Megan wrote: "How about

A Great and Terrible Beauty
You are so Undead to Me
How to Say Goodbye in Robot
and
Into the Wild Nerd Yonder"

Megan, I just finished and Loved How to Say Goodbye in Robot!!!

message 48: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 3 comments Al Capone Does My Shirts is one of my absolute favorites. I adopted it several years ago as an in-common reading novel for our 7th graders, and I discover new things to love about it every year when I read it with them. You've got to really be passionate about a book to enjoy it five times a day, year after year, and this is one of those books. Doesn't hurt that I'm the mom of a special needs daughter myself, and I love the way Moose's family cares for one another. The figurative language in the book is truly amazing as well! A totally teachable book that can also be read independently, plus... the best ending ever!

message 49: by bjneary (new)

bjneary | 236 comments Leslie wrote: "Al Capone Does My Shirts is one of my absolute favorites. I adopted it several years ago as an in-common reading novel for our 7th graders, and I discover new things to love about it every year wh..."

Leslie, I so agree with you about this book!

message 50: by Emily (new)

Emily (Rozmuse) | 6 comments Abby wrote: "I love Jordan Sonnenblick's titles... "Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie", "Notes from the Midnight Driver", and "Zen and the Art of Faking It". (All great books, by the way!) "

I'd have to agree. I had one student who read them based solely on the titles!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

No More Dead Dogs (other topics)
Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key (other topics)
Inkheart (other topics)
Graceling (other topics)
Pride and Prejudice (other topics)
More...