Books to the Movies © discussion

The Tiger Saga (to be) > Exclusive interview with Colleen Houck

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aspen (Aspenleaf) | 102 comments Mod
Ok, so Colleen was so nice to let me send her a few questions and she said she'd answer them. Here they are. if you have any questions, post them here and I’ll send them to her at some point (I’ll do them in batches, maybe a batch a month so as not to bother her. once i send them, I’ll delete your comments)

everybody, say a big THANK YOU to Colleen!

message 2: by Aspen (last edited Jan 17, 2012 01:56PM) (new)

ok, so i sent her the questions and she answered. Thanks!

Q: how long does it take you to write one book?
A: The first three took 7 to 9 months but Destiny has been in the works for a year and a half because of all the work I've had to do getting three books on the market in one year.

Q: Did you always want to become an author?
A: No. I wanted to work with Deaf kids. I wanted to be a teacher but ended up interpreting instead. I was working full time as a video relay interpreter when I wrote Tiger's Curse and Tiger's Quest.

Q: did you like reading when you were younger?
A: The Black Stallion books, The Big Red series, Little House on the Prairie. I've always loved books with animals.

Q: I heard that Tigers Quest was a self-published e-book, how did you publish it?
A: Through an Amazon company called Booksurge. It's merged with another company called Createspace now. They did editing, design, etc. and then listed it for me on Amazon.

Q: where did you get the idea for Tiger Saga?
A: I wanted to do a spin on the Beauty and the Beast story and chose a white tiger for my beast. Researching the tiger led me to India and it took off from there.

Q: why did you pick to base your books on tigers and India?
A: I think there is something magical and special about white tigers. When I found out that they are all descended from a cub caught in India in the 1930's, I decided to set my book in India and began to research the culture and mythology of the country.

Q: did you do a bunch of research about tigers and India or did you know a lot?
A: I knew nothing when I started. I read a lot of books, did searches on the internet, and leaned on an expert from India for advice and feedback.

Q: which tiger/man do you have the most fun writing about?
A: I switch back and forth a lot but I think if I was forced to choose, I'd say Ren.

Thanks for the interview!

Colleen Houck

PART 2

I loved Tigers Voyage! I was wondering, when you write the books, do you know who Kells is going to be with evetually in the end or do you keep switching?

I can't wait for the next book and have voted for Tigers Voyage in the Goodreads Choice awards in as many of the areas as I could, including favorite author.

HERE'S WHAT SHE SAID

As stated on Colleen's blog recently, some of her family is helping out with mail so she can write. She is on a deadline and having a hard time getting her Tiger's series finished. I am her younger sister and I have been asked to take over her mail for now.
I am so happy you found Colleen's books. I love them, too.
Colleen has always known who Kelsey would end up with, but she does love both boys and loves happy endings for everyone.
Colleen is an amazing writer, I agree!

Grace (ReaderNamedGrace) | 10 comments Why did she pick those names for her characters?

ok, so sience the group has been a bit slow, i'll send your question when we get more! invite your friends !

FROM Colleen

The names of Ren and Kishan mean something but Kadam and Nilima are just random. Kelsey's last name Hayes is a nod to Maddie Hayes from Moonlighting

Grace (ReaderNamedGrace) | 10 comments ok. THANKS! um, am i allowed to do more than 1 question?

yes

Grace (ReaderNamedGrace) | 10 comments otay. Graci

go wicked!!!!!!

Grace (ReaderNamedGrace) | 10 comments What? Ohhhhhhh! The pic. I thought so... BEST MUSICAL EVER!

i saw the origonal. my friend played Fiero (SP???). he got us great seats

Grace (ReaderNamedGrace) | 10 comments SWEET! Indina Menzel, or should I say Elphaba,is my idol

message 13: by Aspen (last edited Aug 13, 2011 09:47AM) (new)

did u know that Elphaba's name is based on L Frank Balm? or her name is.

L (El) frank (fa) Balm (ba)

Grace (ReaderNamedGrace) | 10 comments Oh, cool.

message 15: by Aspen (last edited Nov 07, 2011 12:14PM) (new)

HERES WHAT I SAID

I loved Tigers Voyage! I was wondering, when you write the books, do you know who Kells is going to be with evetually in the end or do you keep switching?

I can't wait for the next book and have voted for Tigers Voyage in the Goodreads Choice awards in as many of the areas as I could, including favorite author.

HERE'S WHAT SHE SAID

As stated on Colleen's blog recently, some of her family is helping out with mail so she can write. She is on a deadline and having a hard time getting her Tiger's series finished. I am her younger sister and I have been asked to take over her mail for now.
I am so happy you found Colleen's books. I love them, too.
Colleen has always known who Kelsey would end up with, but she does love both boys and loves happy endings for everyone.
Colleen is an amazing writer, I agree!

unread topics | mark unread