Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Friday Questions > Question #14: Furry Friends

Comments (showing 1-38 of 38) (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Danine (dulcemea) What is your favorite animal character within a book?

Thanks for the Question Laurie!

Silver | 236 comments This is a hard one, but I might have to go with either Buck from Call of the Wild, or the Black Stallion from the Black Stallion series

Mary Todd (MaryTodd) | 924 comments I think Toto in the Oz books. In the books he can talk and he brings a really unmagical point of view when trouble happens.

Dawn Michelle | 242 comments Reepacheep from The Chronicles of Narnia. LOVED him. Totally.

Mollie T | 153 comments Hmm I always liked the Island Stallion more than the Black Stallion.

As to the original question: I'm gonna have to think about this one.

Paula (Paulagrin) | 289 comments Ooooh, good call, Dawn. I'm sort of partial to Beorn from The Hobbit, but I'm not sure he counts since he's a shape-shifter...

Dini Timmy from Enid Blyton's Famous Five books. He's so central to the story that he's even included in the famous five itself!

Silver | 236 comments When I was a kid I use to alwyas dream of having a horse like the Black Stallion

KrisT Rhumpy the Pig is pretty funny in Swine Not? by Jimmy Buffet, can't really say it is a fav but it was fun.

message 10: by Tracy (last edited Oct 09, 2008 10:42AM) (new)

Tracy | 36 comments Yes, Dini, Timmy from the Famous Five series was the best. A great judge of character, a loyal friend to George, he most certainly was part of the gang-- the kids even shared their ices with him!

And how about Ms. Coulter's monkey daemon in the His Dark Materials trilogy? Obviously not a friend to Lyra, but so chilling in its vicious behavior.

Laurie (Laurie0303) | 60 comments Crookshanks from the HP series. He always knew Scabbers was no good! Or, The Cheshire Cat or any of the other zany animals in Alice's world!

Tana Lacy I like the Cat in Jasper Fforde's books.

message 13: by Dini (last edited Sep 22, 2008 09:10PM) (new)

Dini Laurie, I always thought Crookshanks would be revealed as some sort of Animagus, because he seemed to know and understand a lot of things that an animal couldn't. But maybe that's just a red herring thrown in by Rowling to distract us from the real Animagus in the story... I hope that wasn't a spoiler!

Laurie (Laurie0303) | 60 comments Re: Crookshanks not being an Animagus in the HP series...I actually kind of really liked the fact that he just turned out to be a cat and nothing more. The sense that things are afoot all around us, magically or otherwise, that we are not in tune to yet every day creatures that we surround ourseleves with in our daily routines can immediately tell. Althought, it would have been cool, too, if he would have turned out to be a long lost relative of Harry's or something like that! :-)

Molly | 330 comments Wilbur from Charlotte's Web.

message 16: by Emily (last edited Oct 08, 2008 05:10PM) (new)

Emily | 74 comments Although my first thought was "I don't read books with animals as characters", that thought was both uppity and untrue. I loved Fiver and Hazel in Watership Down! And, I'm sure there are others. From Animal Farm perhaps? Or, Time Stops for no Mouse? Or, many countless others.

Sheila (Srtoomey) | 11 comments I liked Marley and his shannigans in Marley Me.

Enzo the dog in Art Of Racing In The Rain because he was the narrator of the book and knew what humans were saying he just couldn't communicate back.

Gloria (okohme) | 98 comments Ricki-ticki-tavi, from Rudyard Kipling's "Ricki-ticki-tavi."

Tayla36 | 274 comments Do scaley friends count?

I love Fanuilh, the miniature dragon in Daniel Hood's books.

I don't remember the stories all that well, but I think I liked Jack London's White Fang better than Buck.

There is a fantasy series called "The Gandalara Cycle" by Randall Garrett and Vicki Anne Heydron that has large sentient telepathic tiger-like cats, and the main character's friend was named Keeshah. And later in the series was his mate Yayshah and his two cubs Koshah and Yoshah

Becca Roo from Winnie the Pooh although I have been compared to Eeyore...I don't know if that's a good thing or bad?

Lisa Ah, I love Roo, too! But my fav is probably also Toto.

Neil McCrea | 57 comments I'm fond of a great many of the murderous critters from Patricia Highsmith's Animal Lover's Book of Beastly Murder but the elephant and the cockroach are particular favorites.

message 23: by Silvana (last edited Mar 23, 2009 02:27AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Bagheera from The Jungle Books.
Buck from The Call of the Wild.
Snowball from Animal Farm.
Polynesia from Doctor Dolittle series.
Reephicheep from the Chronicles of Narnia.

Molly | 330 comments Neil wrote: "I'm fond of a great many of the murderous critters from Patricia Highsmith's Animal Lover's Book of Beastly Murder but the elephant and the cockroach are particular favorites."

Speaking of elephants - how about Rosie from Water for Elephants? She was very heroic.

Lauren Wilbur from Charlotte's Web
Flicka from My Friend Flicka

Dawn rizzi (dawnie278) BOB FROM PLUM NOVELS

Persephone | 146 comments I loved Jack's bumbler - Oy - from The Dark Tower Series:))

Tristen Kiri | 60 comments Snitter from The Plague Dogs (made me cry)
Pigwidgeon from Harry Potter (made me laugh)
There are probably more I love but I can't remember!

Wendy My dog looks like Nana in Peter Pan. I loved the elephant Rosie in Water for Elephants.

Maria | 1 comments Charley ! - Steinbeck's standard poodle in Travels with Charley In Search of America

Jenn (Gennrie) | 7 comments I loved the camel in "Rageddy Ann's Adventures - long time ago.
I'm also a fan of Ricki Ticki Tavi, the cats in "Warriors," Baloo in Jungle Book, oh and Gremlins main character, Watership Down is a fav - the bunnys of course. I'm sure there are more I can't think of...

Melanie (pplunicorn) | 71 comments Church from City of Bones, the cat that belonged to the Lightwoods. It was our dogs name when I was little. He was a collie.

Carrie Pickwick or The Cat formerly known as Cheshire from Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series.

Jessica (jess0702) I'm not sure if this counts or not, but I always liked the daemons in the His Dark Materials series

Alycia (alyciac) I really like Mouse from Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series

Mrsku | 37 comments I love Pantailamon from Northern Lights and Cruickshanks from Harry Potter. My daughter loves piglet because he is honest and good and kind and PINK

message 38: by Cam (last edited Apr 25, 2009 03:36AM) (new)

Cam It's just got to be for me, The Velveteen Rabbit in The Velveteen Rabbit