Bound Together discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives - 2012 > Questions

Comments (showing 201-250 of 253) (253 new)    post a comment »

message 201: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

♥ Sandi (TakingTime) | 9544 comments Mod
Phillipa when we have an author read Deb will sometimes leave the book to our own personal choice,whatever book we want by that author, but other times we will vote on a particular book by that author and then we all read that one specific book - if you are so inclined that month. But like Diane said there is never any pressure to read any particularr book in any month. If none of them sound interesting then read whatever you please and then you can always post in the "other reads" and tell us if you feel that book was worth reading and why.

message 202: by Phillipa (new)

Phillipa (dippypippy) | 12 comments ok thanks girls

message 203: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 2079 comments Sometimes you can read it after the rest of the group has, too. For example, I'm only just now finishing Game of Thrones that the group read months ago.... couldn't get it at the library before that. I still have to catch up on In the Time of Butterflies and The Housekeeper and the Professor, too. They both looked so good, I just didn't want to not read them!

message 204: by Phillipa (new)

Phillipa (dippypippy) | 12 comments Hi
Thanks Alana.. TBH Game of Thrones Would not be my cup of tea at all..lol.. but I'm still finding my way around this site and group and so far I have come accross a few books that I like the look of and hopefully will get around to reading.. I like that there is no pressure to read certain books

message 205: by Lynn G. (new)

Lynn G. | 1570 comments A completely random question for your consideration: Is there a way to print out our shelves, for example could I print out my "to read" shelf?

message 206: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Lynn - pull up the list that you want to print and at the top far right hand side it says"print". I think it prints all the information tho - not just the books.

message 207: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Actaully there is a way that you can print just the book cover or cover and title if you want. Once you hit print it will change to another page, then hit shelf setting - and you can delete anything else that you have attached to your list ( ie - ISBN, date started, dated finished, review, etc etc) and you can leave or add anything you want from that pop up list. Then hit print again. If your computer won't print by clicking that "print " in the top right corner, then just use you file/print option off your menu bar.

message 208: by Lynn G. (new)

Lynn G. | 1570 comments Sandi wrote: "Actaully there is a way that you can print just the book cover or cover and title if you want. Once you hit print it will change to another page, then hit shelf setting - and you can delete anythi..."

Thanks, Sandi. My list is printing right now. I never would have noticed that light colored word "print" if you had not mentioned it. It took me a few tries with my recalcitrant laptop and somewhat vintage printer to convince them that I did, indeed, want to print. ;)

message 209: by ✿Sandra (new)

✿Sandra | 2973 comments Sandi wrote: "Actaully there is a way that you can print just the book cover or cover and title if you want. Once you hit print it will change to another page, then hit shelf setting - and you can delete anythi..."

Oh my, I better not print my TBR, or I would use a lot of ink! haha

message 210: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (last edited Sep 23, 2012 02:59PM) (new)

Your welcome Lynn.

Me too Sandra...

message 211: by ☮Karen (new)

☮Karen | 6385 comments I print my wishlist in alpha order by author and take it to library used book sales with me. Tons of people ask me about it; comes in very handy!

message 212: by ✿Sandra (new)

✿Sandra | 2973 comments ☮Karen wrote: "I print my wishlist in alpha order by author and take it to library used book sales with me. Tons of people ask me about it; comes in very handy!"

Maybe Goodreads has gotten some members from you doing that! :)

message 213: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 2079 comments That's clever, Karen. I tend to just buy whatever books look interesting, but sometimes I forget that a book looked interesting and might overlook it at a sale. I'd be afraid my list would be miles long, though...

message 214: by Lynn G. (new)

Lynn G. | 1570 comments While I have the goodreads app on my phone it is too cumbersome an app (usually) to use while actively looking for titles in a bookstore, so I want to have my TBR list in my purse whenever I find myself with time to spend at bookstores. Naturally, I'll always be adding to my TBR list which means more printouts....Oh well.

message 215: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Lynn wrote: "While I have the goodreads app on my phone it is too cumbersome an app (usually) to use while actively looking for titles in a bookstore, so I want to have my TBR list in my purse whenever I find m..."

I agree their app is the pits!

message 216: by Britany (new)

Britany | 3592 comments I agree with the app, although it does have a handy barcode scanner, so usually if I pick up something that looks interesting, I'll just scan the barcode to see if any of you ladies have rated it, or if it's already on my TBR. Love that scanner!

message 217: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Gez! I need a new phone. Had this one for about 8 years - all it does is receive calls, make calls, receive text and will text. I think it may connect to the internet like thru java - but I have never tried. This phone will not even take pictures. BUT...it is small, compact, I receive calls - probably more than I like - and I spend enough time on a computer both at work and home - so I am satisfied. Once in a great while I wish I had a camera on it, but that is about all.I guess someday I will have to upgrade and then will get more gadgets on it.

message 218: by ✿Sandra (new)

✿Sandra | 2973 comments Sandi wrote: "Gez! I need a new phone. Had this one for about 8 years - all it does is receive calls, make calls, receive text and will text. I think it may connect to the internet like thru java - but I have n..."

I don't have a smartphone either. Maybe someday! :)

message 219: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Yeah Sandra my phone is old and decrepit - just like me...!

message 220: by ✿Sandra (new)

✿Sandra | 2973 comments Sandi wrote: "Yeah Sandra my phone is old and decrepit - just like me...!"

Your phone is great & reliable - just like you! :)

message 221: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

ahhh, thanks

message 222: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 2079 comments I don't have a smart phone, although I will probably upgrade to one once my contract is up next summer. I feel left out, although I like not being so attached to technology that I feel I have to constantly be in contact with the world. I will probably try the GR app, maybe it will be upgraded by then :)

message 223: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (elatal) | 1288 comments The kindle app is also a great option. I am never without a book.

message 224: by ✿Sandra (new)

✿Sandra | 2973 comments Alana wrote: "I don't have a smart phone, although I will probably upgrade to one once my contract is up next summer. I feel left out, although I like not being so attached to technology that I feel I have to co..."

I feel like a smart phone is just one more thing I will end up playing with that will take time from my reading! Plus, it's hard to commit to that extra smart phone fee! Once I do it, my boys will probably beg me for one, and I'm certainly not paying the extra fee for all of us! My husband is self-employed so he has one, and when we are out, I can look something up if I need to.

message 225: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom I'm one of the few people who has no interest in having a cell phone. I have a basic trac phone, and I only got that when my mom was sick, and now I use it for emergencies when driving (none so far!). If I had anything else, I know I'd end up either hating it, or getting too caught up in it :)

message 226: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily jaxnsmom wrote: "I'm one of the few people who has no interest in having a cell phone. I have a basic trac phone, and I only got that when my mom was sick, and now I use it for emergencies when driving (none so fa..."

I'm another. Just a cell phone for emergency use only...seldom even on.

message 227: by ☮Karen (new)

☮Karen | 6385 comments ☯Emily wrote: "jaxnsmom wrote: "I'm one of the few people who has no interest in having a cell phone. I have a basic trac phone, and I only got that when my mom was sick, and now I use it for emergencies when dr..."

Me too. Everyone's always yelling at me for never having my phone on. I hate the incessant interruptions!

message 228: by Maureen (new)

Maureen So for those ladies that don't have/don't use a cell phone, do you have a land line in your home? I hate the ringing of a phone in my house and we have not had a land line in at least 6 or 7 years. I like having the control of when I receive a call or not - I usually put my cell phone to sleep at around 7 each evening and am unreachable until sometime after 8 am the next morning. I text with my kids and friends all the time and receive my emails on my smart phone. I don't really use any of the features on it for anything that I wouldn't use a regular cell phone for- other than the email.

message 229: by ☮Karen (new)

☮Karen | 6385 comments Yes, still have a land line with an answering machine and caller ID. I am on the phone so much at work all day that I seldom use the land line either! Cannot understand people walking around stores or in restaurants talking on their cells. That's my "me time" and don't need/want the intrusion.

message 230: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ | 5632 comments Don't have a cell, don't want one but do have a land line. I usually let the answering machine pick it up and I have it set so it only rings 4 times. Agree with Emily and jaxnsnmom.

message 231: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (elatal) | 1288 comments My name is Ellen and I am a tech addict. I love my toys, and yes at all times have my iPad, iPhone, computer, kindle, computer, and iTouch within reach. I am retired now but when I was working it was nothing to spend 10 hours in front of the computer to hurry home to pick up my own computer to check all my own information.

message 232: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ | 5632 comments Too funny Ellen. I do have a kindle and I work on a computer and obviously I am on one now as well. It's not a tech aversion, I just don't like cell phones, I don;t want people to find me when I'm out and I think they are dangerous. So many drivers on their cells, rude in stores, dangerous on the road, kids don;t talk to each other they just text. Anyway that is how I feel.

message 233: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (elatal) | 1288 comments Diane wrote: "Too funny Ellen. I do have a kindle and I work on a computer and obviously I am on one now as well. It's not a tech aversion, I just don't like cell phones, I don;t want people to find me when I'm ..."

agreed

message 234: by Britany (new)

Britany | 3592 comments Ellen, I am also an addict! I love the fact that the world is at my fingertips at all times, plus I'm never bored! Is there a support group we could join ?? ;)

message 235: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (elatal) | 1288 comments Britany wrote: "Ellen, I am also an addict! I love the fact that the world is at my fingertips at all times, plus I'm never bored! Is there a support group we could join ?? ;)"

maybe, but I don't think I want to be cured. I love my toys.

message 236: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

I have two lines coming into my house - one for a regular phone and one for internet. I have had my phone number for years and years and have friends all over the US that have that number - just really hate to give it up.

Have had my cell number for - gee - I guess about 15 years. I don;t give it out to too many people, but the few who have it seem to call me - alot! I don't turn it off - guess that comes from having boys in the Army and hours away at college - never know when they are able or need to call. I am really lucky that way - two grandsons that call me every week - usually just to chit chat - but to check in and probably check on me also.

And I agree - technology is everywhere you turn - no wonder we are always rushing - too much stimuli - everything too accessible. My granddaughter in law keeps wanting me to do something with her at night ( grandson works nights) she is ready to get out and do something, but me - after a days work I just want to vegetate, stay at home, read, slow things down - glass of wine, warm shower, good book, the quiet of my home - that is enough for me.

message 237: by ☮Karen (new)

☮Karen | 6385 comments Diane wrote: "Too funny Ellen. I do have a kindle and I work on a computer and obviously I am on one now as well. It's not a tech aversion, I just don't like cell phones, I don;t want people to find me when I'm ..."

I agree 100%.

message 238: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (elatal) | 1288 comments Sandi wrote: "I have two lines coming into my house - one for a regular phone and one for internet. I have had my phone number for years and years and have friends all over the US that have that number - just r..."

But Sandi, it is also great to listen to an audible downloaded book on my iPhone, play a game on my iPad, listen to some tunes in the background on my itouch, and have my computer open waiting for those important notifications from GR's. I can do all this and enjoy a glass of Merlot. Life is good.

message 239: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

I know Ellen - I just sometimes feel overrun with noise and confusion and technology. It is all fine if you want it, but we are often subjected to it(by others) when we would really prefer not to have it. So for me, since I work on a computer most of the day, my cell is enough. You guys know that I sometimes go a few days without even checking in to BT. And BT is one of my favorite places to be. That is when I am taking a break - getting away from all that techno babble. I could be a good recluse. Give me a house - with indoor plumbing - could have electricity or not - doesn't matter - and access to books and crafts and a lawn chair - nature - heaven! I am sure I would want to be able to get to town about once a month - but TV - who cares - phones - who cares - all that techno babble - who cares. I would make a great recluse...LOL !!!

message 240: by ☮Karen (new)

☮Karen | 6385 comments Sandi wrote: "I know Ellen - I just sometimes feel overrun with noise and confusion and technology. It is all fine if you want it, but we are often subjected to it(by others) when we would really prefer not to h..."

Sandi, me too! Except for the computer part; that I am addicted to so don't want any other distractions techno-wise. And need an occasional TV fix.... right now is Modern Family.

message 241: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

well....could always put one of those bicycle pedaling contraptions in that generate electricty.... and exercise while making electricity for the computer or TV...LOL !!!

message 242: by ✿Sandra (new)

✿Sandra | 2973 comments It's official ladies - we can turn any thread into a Jabber Jaws, because we just have so much to discuss!! :)

message 243: by ☮Karen (new)

☮Karen | 6385 comments I know, what was the QUESTION again? LOL

message 244: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Funny Sandra - but you are right - what thread were we in...???

message 245: by Phillipa (last edited Sep 27, 2012 01:48PM) (new)

Phillipa (dippypippy) | 12 comments Just wondering if anyone found it hard to read Sharp Ojects? I'm on about page 64 and I'm just not getting into it at all. I don't usually give up on books, I think in all the years I'm reading I've only put down about 6/7 booksSharp Objects

message 246: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Phillipa wrote: "Just wondering if anyone found it hard to read Sharp Ojects? I'm on about page 64 and I'm just not getting into it at all. I don't usually give up on books, I think in all the years I'm reading I'v..."

Flynn's first two books Sharp Objects and Dark Places are both very different from Gone Girl. Much darker to be sure. I have loved all three but I can see how they would not be for everybody. My motto is if you aren't liking it, don't waste your time - there are too many good books out there for you to enjoy :)

message 247: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ | 5632 comments ❀Sandra wrote: "It's official ladies - we can turn any thread into a Jabber Jaws, because we just have so much to discuss!! :)"

I was thinking the same thing last night when we were talking about technology. I mean we have all the wrong things in all the wrong places. Even book discussions seem to find there way here. Maybe we are just directionally challenged?

message 248: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Diane wrote: "❀Sandra wrote: "It's official ladies - we can turn any thread into a Jabber Jaws, because we just have so much to discuss!! :)"

I was thinking the same thing last night when we were talking abou..."

HA! Too true :)

message 249: by Deb, Queen Bee (new)

Deb | 2377 comments Mod
I know what it is....I said I was going to archive Jabber Jaws and start a new one so you all figured you'd take over another thread instead! ;)

message 250: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ | 5632 comments I really don't know how this happens. Technology, electricity, Gillian Flynn, we are some chatty ladies.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Olive Kitteridge (other topics)
The Handmaid's Tale (other topics)
Girl in Translation (other topics)
The Lotus Eaters (other topics)
Housekeeping (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ann B. Ross (other topics)
Donna Andrews (other topics)