Fantasy Book Club discussion

Recommendations, etc > Feudal Japan

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Chelsea (rocktopusjones) Hi again! Any recommendations for fantasy involving a setting in a land reminiscent of feudal Japan?

Traci Eon  Dragoneye Reborn (Eon, #1) by Alison Goodman I haven't read this but I noticed it the other week in the young adult section.

Jim (JimMacLachlan) It's been a long time, but there was a trilogy by Eric Van Lustbader called The Sunset Warrior that might fit. I know he went on to write action stories with ninjas & such, but the SW trilogy was post-apocalyptic SF & fantasy. Very good, from what I remember. Maybe someone else remembers it better & can say for sure.

Amelia (Narknon) | 115 comments There's also the Otori series by Lian Hearn. It starts with Across the Nightingale Floor. Very strong Japanese feudal system complete with Samarai and ninjas. There are three books in the trilogy and a prequel novel.

Also there's Daughter of the Empire. It's connected to Raymond Feist's Riftwar series, but if you haven't read those, I think this stands well on it's own. Also the first of three books. This one stars a female protagonist. I've read this one, but not the next two.

Chelsea (rocktopusjones) Thank you very much, Amelia!

message 6: by Amelia (last edited Jun 16, 2011 09:24AM) (new)

Amelia (Narknon) | 115 comments I like these kinds of books too. Japan's culture and society fascinates me (and the rest of Asia). It's so different from the Western World. Hope you like them!

Joseph | 758 comments There's also Genpei by Kara Dalkey, which was quite good; additionally, she wrote a couple of YA books with Japanese settings that I haven't read yet. I also noticed The Fox Woman by Kij Johnson, which looks intriguing. Lafcadio Hearn put together some collections of actual Japanese (and Chinese) folktales. And if you want actual Japanese historical fiction there's Taiko: An Epic Novel of War and Glory in Feudal Japan by Eiji Yoshikawa, although that's pretty thick going.

I'm always on the lookout for good fantasy with non-Western/medieval/European settings. Not that I don't also enjoy the more traditional settings . . .

Sandra  (Sleo) | 2228 comments I'll second the Lian Hearn books and also the three Empire books by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts. Excellent. And I love things with an oriental flavor.

Also Guy Gavriel Kay's Under Heaven is excellent, but I think is more like China.

Karen Azinger | 26 comments I agree, the Lian Hearn books are awesome! I highly recommend Across the Nightengale Floor.

Karen Azinger | 26 comments If you like Feudal Japan, the best of the best has to be Shogun by James Clavel. One of my all-time favorite books. An amazing read.

Chelsea (rocktopusjones) Shogun is on my list. Just bought Shike by Robert Shea, and read some online and I really like it! Thanks everyone!

Victoria Dixon | 15 comments Samurai Shortstop by Alan Gratz is excellent, though it's at the end of feudal Japan, so maybe not what you're looking for. Still a great read. Thanks for all the reading suggestions! I haven't read some of these yet and I'm developing a love of all things Asian. ;D

Sandra  (Sleo) | 2228 comments Amelia wrote: "I like these kinds of books too. Japan's culture and society fascinates me (and the rest of Asia). It's so different from the Western World. Hope you like them!"

Daughter of the Empire is great. And the fantasy society is very Japanese/oriental.

Leah | 56 comments I read the first book of the Sano Ichiro series. It's a mystery/crime series and, if I remember correctly, Sano Ichiro is a detective-type character (might be a police prefect?). Anyway, the first one is called Shinju by Laura Joh Rowland.