The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Comments (showing 1-16)    post a comment »
dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 16: by Jacqui (new)

Jacqui (Jac-in-a-Book) Jane wrote: "I have read that James Bolam has not signed up for the next series -it won't be the same without him. I wonder if he will be replaced and if so, who?"

Hadn't heard that... can't think who could take his place

message 15: by Jane (new)

Jane (flopsybunny) | 154 comments I have read that James Bolam has not signed up for the next series -it won't be the same without him. I wonder if he will be replaced and if so, who?

message 14: by Jacqui (new)

Jacqui (Jac-in-a-Book) Adore this show and have watched it from the beginning. The characters are brilliantly written and acted but my favourite is Ex-Detective Inspector Brian "Memory" Lane (Alun Armstrong). He never fails to make me smile.

Just a bit of trivia did you know that the actress that plays Brian's long suffering wife Esther (Susan Jameson) is the real wife of James Bolam who plays Ex-Detective Chief Superintendent Jack Halford in the series.

message 13: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 94 comments David Walliams recently swam down the river Thames, about 140 miles, he's already swam the English channel and the straits of Gibraltar for charity.

Jane
Looking forward to Miranda too.

message 12: by Jane (new)

Jane (flopsybunny) | 154 comments I love Miranda, we are eagerly awaiting her 3rd series and we enjoy Not Going Out too. Have you seen any Fawlty Towers or how about Blackadder?

message 11: by Bill, Co-Moderator (last edited Oct 06, 2011 10:40AM) (new)

Bill | 1658 comments Mod
We've watched a couple online on youtube that we really enjoy. Miranda and Not Going Out are very funny.

message 10: by Jane (new)

Jane (flopsybunny) | 154 comments I have although I didn't enjoy it quite so much. Apparently Lucas and Walliams have no other plans to work together. David Walliam's children's books are hugely popular here although I haven't read any yet. What other British comedy do you like?

message 9: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 1658 comments Mod
Indeed. Have you seen their series Fly With Me? It's quite good too.

message 8: by Jane (new)

Jane (flopsybunny) | 154 comments You've been watching too much Little Britain. ;)

message 7: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 1658 comments Mod
Write the theme song, sing the theme song...

message 6: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 94 comments Remember watching Dennis Waterman when he was in The Sweeney with John Thaw, he looks so young then.

message 5: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 1658 comments Mod
It's a super series. The wife and I watched it regularly. Great chemistry and interesting stories.

message 4: by Curlyhair (last edited Oct 04, 2011 10:08AM) (new)

Curlyhair | 126 comments This is a great show. Its recently finished in the UK - series 8 I think it was. Roll on the next one. The 4 personalities just work great with each other and the story lines are really interesting and quite involved at times.
Definately have a look if you can.

message 3: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) | 177 comments I have watched this and its is a good show with humour and they have great bantr amonst themselves

message 2: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 1991 comments Mod
I love this show. Started watching it on Netflix and now my local PBS station has picked up some episodes.

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth | 28 comments Does anyone watch this show?

If you've never seen it, I cannot recommend it highly enough! The writer is also a crime fiction novelist (Nigel McCrery).

It's about a group of retired detectives who get back together to form UCOS (Unsolved Crime & Open Case Squad), within the Metropolitan Police. They are headed up by the delightful Amanda Redman and it is honestly one of my favourite shows. It's not often I sit down and watch TV but I've been know to watch an entire series of this in one night!

The storylines are really well plotted, often you cannot work out how they will end, but they are nicely flavoured with some great humour too. The characters are all likeable and there are great dynamics within the team which are really good to watch.

There are 7 series and a new one being broadcast later this year and I recommend it to anyone! I would say it is more of a 'cosy' crime drama than anything akin to a procedural, but that doesn't mean it isn't really well written and throroughly entertaining and enjoyable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Tric...

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Nigel McCrery (other topics)