The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Group Read Discussions > June/July 2011 Group Read: The Snowman by Jo Nesbo

Comments (showing 51-67 of 67) (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 2 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 51: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne | 4 comments I have now read both The Devil's Star and The Snowman by Jo Nesbo and am very impressed by the writer. Harry Hole is a terrific addition to detective fiction. Loved both books!

message 52: by Kim (new)

Kim (KimMR) Carol wrote: "A question for you and everyone else:
Did you find yourself suspecting a number of people along the way? Was the Snowman one of your earlier suspects or a later revelation? ..."

I was pretty sure I had worked out the identity of the killer by half way through the book. I rather hoped I was wrong, but I never really suspected anyone else. The clues that gave it away for me were these: (view spoiler). Consequently, I spent much of the last part of the novel wanting to tell Harry Hole that he was wasting time fishing for red herrings and that he should just get on with the job!

message 53: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1 comments I recently finished this book, even without knowing it was being read by a group i just discovered, and I really like The Snowman, however was also a big fan of The Girl With books

message 54: by Carol (new)

Carol | 152 comments Kim wrote: "Carol wrote: "A question for you and everyone else:
Did you find yourself suspecting a number of people along the way? Was the Snowman one of your earlier suspects or a later revelation? ..."

I..."

Aha! So that's what gave it away for you, Kim! (view spoiler) I love to go back at the end of a book and think about when I suspected the guilty character or what I missed clue-wise. That is precisely where we should have figured it out, but that is quite early in the story. I wonder if Nesbo wanted us to know at that point! I wish we could ask him!

message 55: by Hapzydeco (new)

Hapzydeco | 3 comments Carol - Thank you for introducing me to Jo Nesbø’s Oslo. Harry Hole coupled with Lisbeth Salander and Kurt Wallander make for a splendid fictional triad. The Snowman was an intriguing read.

message 56: by paul (new)

paul burke (anntony475) | 56 comments AGREE. hope hole lives on with nesbo. nesbo just hitting his stride.

message 57: by Kim (new)

Kim (KimMR) Carol wrote: "I love to go back at the end of a book and think about when I suspected the guilty character or what I missed clue-wise. ..."

Carol, I'm with you. I also like to go back to check on the clues! I think in many ways Snowman is a very traditional crime fiction novel. (view spoiler) Not that there's anything wrong with that. However, some of the crime fiction novels I like best work differently. Dorothy L Sayers, for example, who is one of my favourite writers, wrote some traditional whodunnits, but she also wrote novels in which the "who" was obvious and the "why" or the "how" comprised the mystery. And over the weekend I read and really enjoyed Karin Slaughter's latest offering Fallen, in which (view spoiler). I'll have to read more of Nesbo to see whether he sticks to the traditional whodunnit format, or whether he mixes things up a bit!

message 58: by Anne (new)

Anne Pichette | 21 comments I have had the pleasure of hearing Jo Nesbo speak and he is very funny and entertaining. I really like the Snowman. I agree with others that it has alot of twists and turns. It was a hard one to put down once I started it. I have only read one other by him and I am definitely going to read more of his.

message 59: by Robert (new)

Robert (BobHE) I am 100 pages ish into the book First time read this Jo Nesbo Has anyone else felt that Harry Hole character very much like Rebus from Ian Rankin books?
Lives alone drink issues and the popular music conection
Maybe I am wrong but if right who first Rankin or Nesbo?
I think Rankin
Bob

message 60: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 74 comments Patricia wrote: "I finished this book today, and gave it a 5-star rating, and I don't often give 5-stars. I almost gave up on this book, but am so glad I stayed with it. It just kept getting better and better, an..."

Glad you stuck with it. This one had me from the get go.

I guess I am on a Scandinavian bent right now. I've read several Mankell books before and after the Larssen series.

currently reading

The Hypnotist the author Lars Kepplar is a husband and wife team. Very good so far.

message 61: by Carol (new)

Carol | 152 comments Robert wrote: "I am 100 pages ish into the book First time read this Jo Nesbo Has anyone else felt that Harry Hole character very much like Rebus from Ian Rankin books?
Lives alone drink issues and the popula..."

Hi Bob,
Check out Donna's post (#41 in this discussion). She gives a good description of the Scandinavian detective type. You are quite right!

message 62: by paul (new)

paul burke (anntony475) | 56 comments Anne wrote: "I have had the pleasure of hearing Jo Nesbo speak and he is very funny and entertaining. I really like the Snowman. I agree with others that it has alot of twists and turns. It was a hard one to..."

nesbo definitely is growing as a writer/plotter. try fossum, another fine scandinavian mystery spinner. karen is first name.

message 63: by Carol (new)

Carol | 152 comments Murrowboy2 wrote: "Anne wrote: "I have had the pleasure of hearing Jo Nesbo speak and he is very funny and entertaining. I really like the Snowman. I agree with others that it has alot of twists and turns. It was ..."
Thanks! I've added him to my TBR list.

message 64: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) | 2063 comments Mod
Thank you Carol for leading the discussion this month. The thread will remain open so you can all continue or join at a later date.

message 65: by Meera (new)

Meera I'm currently reading this right now and I have about a third left. I think I know who the killer is but maybe not. I've read The Devil's Star and I had liked that.

message 66: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 23916 comments I only got it this morning although I did read the kindle sample earlier. Can't wait to get back to it.

message 67: by Meera (new)

Meera I finished Snowman and I ended up giving a lower rating than The Devil's Star. The killer was who I had thought but I felt that (view spoiler)

« previous 1 2 next »

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Faceless Killers (other topics)
Faceless Killers (other topics)
Fallen (other topics)
The Hypnotist (other topics)
The Devil's Star (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Karin Slaughter (other topics)