The World's Literature discussion

Peru > Red April. Santiago Roncagliolo

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Asma Fedosia (InTheNoh) | 1795 comments Mod
Chapter One of Red April by Santiago Roncagliolo begins a detective mystery with the discovery of a burned body and with its investigation by Prosecutor Chacaltana at the hospital morgue with the assistance of Dr. Posadas. This occurs on March 9, the entire story continuing into April (Holy Week) to May 3, sometime between 1990-2000 during the presidency of Alberto Fujimori.

Marieke | 149 comments Asmah wrote: "Chapter One of Red April by Santiago Roncagliolo begins a detective mystery with the discovery of a burned body and with its investigation by Prosecutor Chacaltana at ..."

i brought this home today. i'm pretty excited about it.

Marieke wrote: "i brought this home today. i'm pretty excited about it. ..."

Yeah! The first chapter is in my opinion pacifically routine and attention-getting, the first horrible act having been already committed. A plot summary made me think of those novels where some group within officialdom tries to divert the principal character from pursuing the investigation and discovering the truth, e.g. in Stieg Larsson's Millennium series.

A lot of questions arise in the first sixty pages:
*What is Justino Mayta Carazo, who found the burnt body, hiding?
*When are the terrorists coming into the story?
*whoze riting the terrbly misspeled leters at the begining of eache chaptar?
*Is police Captain Pacheco a good guy or not?
* Why does Chacaltano behave like his mother is living?
*How did the unidentified body get charred--crematory? electrical storm?
*Is Edith the counter girl as innocent and lovely as she seems?

message 5: by Asma (last edited Jul 13, 2011 02:22PM) (new)

Thurs Apr 6/Sun Apr 9: Prosecutor Chacaltano is assigned to supervise the legality of the 2000 elections in Peruvian villages. Though precise in observing electoral legislation, he finds his efforts obstructed by officials and terrorists.

Mon Apr 10/Fri Apr 14: A mass grave and a second body are discovered, the latter being the deponent, Justino Carazo Mayta, who testified to finding the charred body at the beginning of the story. Meanwhile, the processional events of Holy Week are drawing hordes of tourists to Ayacucho (df=Place of the Dead), and Commander Carrión is wondering whether Sendero Luminoso is regrouping.

Sat Apr 15/Wed Apr19: The colorful, extravagant, religious processions are in full swing. The author describes well these celebrations and their spiritual meanings.

Marieke | 149 comments i'm up to Friday April 14...i'm liking it, although sometimes i feel like the writing is...not spectacular. but i like it anyway. i'm really wrapped up in it.

Marieke wrote: "i'm up to Friday April 14...i'm liking it, although sometimes i feel like the writing is...not spectacular. but i like it anyway. i'm really wrapped up in it."

At the beginning, Chacaltano might sound gentlemanly prudish, pedantic about legalities, and half-crazed about his mother; at the end, he flips his wig.

Thurs Apr 20: The barbaric murders continue. Is there a link between Chacaltano and his talking to the victims? Father Quiroz explains two myths related to the Peruvian Indians. Who is Edith Ayala? The crematory at the Church of the Heart of Christ.

Fri Apr 21: Chacaltano visits Edith's house then the Archives. Clues about Edith's past. [Is someone else losing sympathy for Chacaltano at this point of the story?]

Sat Apr 22/Sun Apr 23: Chacaltano feels guilty. An interrogation and a reprieve. Carrión revives Chacaltano's memories about his parents and explains All. Chacaltano asks, why not just a bullet instead of barbarism?

Wed May 3: The ending.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Red April (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Santiago Roncagliolo (other topics)
Stieg Larsson (other topics)