SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

"Consider Phlebas" discussion > 8. The Ends of Invention

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1640 comments I'm a little behind, but it seems some of the other chapter a day readers are too, so I won't feel too bad. I hope to catch up in bed tonight.

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (fireweaver) | 320 comments I rather liked this chapter. kraiklyn is a dick, so I don't care that we killed him off. and lots o stuff blows up real good, so that's fun.

it occurs to me that horza is a total screw-up. yes, he's cleverly managed to live through each one of his scrapes, but as important as that is, good lord avoiding them would have been much more suave. when we first meet him, he's already been captured and exposed as a fake, **even though he still looks like the old guy**. his impersonate kraiklyn master-plan goes down the toilet within a couple of hours of implementation. he may have bad-ass poison teeth, but clearly, he's a pretty crappy spy, and I'm starting to wonder if he's secretly an idiot.

message 3: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1640 comments I feel the same way about Horza, Michelle, although that horseshoe up his ass reveals his one real talent, maybe his only talent: the boy knows how to survive. Even if it's not him at the controls of his survival he always manages it, but I'm with you on teh screw-up.

I was actually kind of surprised at how fond I had become of Kraiklyn this time. I actually felt a little bad when Horza took him out. Of course, I like Yalson much more, so it was nice to get her back after Kraiklyn's demise.

I really enjoyed the tension between Horza and Balveda at the end of this chapter, short though it was. The way Balveda popped out of her stunning at just the right moment was an excellent, almost cinematic touch. I wish there was more of her.

message 4: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments I enjoyed this chapter, probably the best of all I've read so far. Finally got some plot movement, some action, some surprises and some intrigue.

Horza's thoughts on the destruction of the Orbital really drove home his feelings on the Culture.

message 5: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1640 comments Yeah, it was excellent for getting a better sense of Horza's disdain, Jon. If I remember correctly that will develop even better now that Balveda's around.

message 6: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 412 comments I think that the escape would look great on screen, more exciting than the Millennium Falcon in the asteroid field.

message 7: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1640 comments I don't know if anything could be more exciting to me thatn the Falcon in the asteroid field. I still see that scene like I am eleven.

message 8: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments Now you two have made me want to break out my Star Wars DVDs (when I should be reading or cleaning house or anything but re-watching Star Wars for the millionth time!).

I agree though that the CAT's escape from that inconceivably enormous Culture ship would make a great scifi/space opera cinematic chase scene.

message 9: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1640 comments it would indeed.

message 10: by Silvio (new)

Silvio Curtis | 211 comments The escape scene had a cinematic feel for me, too. I'm not normally much of a movie person, but I could practically see it playing on a big screen in my imagination. Same thing with the Temple of Light and the Megaship crash, actually. I bet only the best special effects could do the descriptions justice, though.

message 11: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1640 comments I would love to see a huge, epic, special effects extravanza of this movie. Probably never happen, though.

message 12: by Silvio (new)

Silvio Curtis | 211 comments If there was a movie it would end up leaving stuff out, though. I can't see them getting across the Minds' POV the way the Prologue and the Interlude in Darkness do.

message 13: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1640 comments No doubt. I bet the Mind would be completely lost.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Plus it would probably end up on the Siffy channel on a Saturday night with terrible cgi and rewritten by a third grader using crayons.

message 15: by Silvio (last edited Aug 10, 2011 05:31PM) (new)

Silvio Curtis | 211 comments Please please no.

Now I'll have nightmares, Ala.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm sorry, Silvio.

But it will also star Casper Van Dien as Horza and the guy who plays Ned Ryerson in Groundhog's Day will be Kraiklyn.

Sweet dreams :P

message 17: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1640 comments You're a bastard, Ala. Wow.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Bwahahahahaha

message 19: by Silvio (new)

Silvio Curtis | 211 comments Not being a movie person, I miss Ala's references. Something about the villain laugh tells me I'm lucky.

message 20: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1640 comments Indeed you are.

unread topics | mark unread