American Historical Fiction discussion

War of 1812

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jenny Q (Jenny_Q) | 544 comments Mod
One of my favorite books is Sara Donati's Queen of Swords, which takes place in New Orleans and depicts a city nervously awaiting the arrival of the British. (This book is fifth in the Wilderness series, but the only one taking place in New Orleans, so it can be read as a stand alone.)

Marissa | 2 comments That was my favorite of the series as well, but my compulsions could not possibly allow me to read it alone. ;-) (Besides, that would result in missing out on the rest of a great series!) It left me with an interest in reading more HF set during the War of 1812, particularly in New Orleans.

Jenny Q (Jenny_Q) | 544 comments Mod
I love just about anything set in New Orleans! It's a city that lends itself really well to all types of fiction!

Marissa | 2 comments I just bought the first two in Barbara Hambly's Benjamin January series. I have no idea when I'll get to them, but looking forward to more New Orleans in the early 19th century. :)

Phair (SPhair) | 35 comments With next year being the Bicentennial of the War of 1812 I was hoping to do a display of books relating to it at my library. Plenty of non-fiction but not a lot of novels with that setting.

I found Bright Captivity which should work and
a real old one by Ben Ames Williams set in Nantucket: Thread of Scarlet (not listed in Goodreads but he wrote several novels that were made into movies in 30s/40s);
Then we have:
Captain Caution and Lydia Bailey;
and The Captain from Connecticut - all with naval settings. In fact the vast majority of novels in this subject heading seem to be 'wooden ships and iron men' type naval adventures.

Please find me some others!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Queen of Swords (other topics)
Lydia Bailey (other topics)
Captain Caution (other topics)
Bright Captivity (other topics)
The Captain from Connecticut (other topics)
More...