The Notebook (The Notebook, #1) The Notebook discussion

book vs film

Comments (showing 1-50 of 243) (243 new)    post a comment »

Xperfumex which is better?

Andria Lynn Osler honestly, i liked the movie better.

message 3: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie I have to say the movie. I couldn't believe how short the book was! The book basically starts with her coming back to see the house when she's engaged and goes from there with just a couple of paragraphs and flashbacks to their summer together. I liked how in the movie they spend a long time on that summer they met and really developing their relationship.

Andria Lynn Osler Katie wrote: "I have to say the movie. I couldn't believe how short the book was! The book basically starts with her coming back to see the house when she's engaged and goes from there with just a couple of para..."

i totally agree! i liked the movie characters better too...i didnt really care for the characters portrayed in the novel

Nouran Gamal movie

message 6: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie Andria wrote: "Katie wrote: "I have to say the movie. I couldn't believe how short the book was! The book basically starts with her coming back to see the house when she's engaged and goes from there with just a ..."

Yes, the characters were alot more likeable in the movie.

Kate This is one of the few stories where I've preferred the screen version.

I liked how in the film they spend more time focused on when they first met - rather than just how they were together in their 30s (or however old they were when Allie came back).

message 8: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie Kate wrote: "This is one of the few stories where I've preferred the screen version.

I liked how in the film they spend more time focused on when they first met - rather than just how they were together in the..."

EXACTLY! I agree 100%! The book hardly spends anytime at all on when they first met.

message 9: by Erica (last edited Jun 14, 2011 11:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erica Book, way better! Although I can say the movie sticks 100% to the book. Whereas other movies leave out stuff or move characters around. This film was exactly the book, no adds or deleted chapters.

I have read this book 3 times now and I have seen the movie countless times over! Both are my all time favorites!

Sandeep Menon I think the movie didn't do justice to the book.
I had read Notebook a number of times before watching the movie. Ryan Gosling just cant fit the image of Noah described in the book

message 11: by Maja (new)

Maja Sandeep wrote: "I think the movie didn't do justice to the book.
I had read Notebook a number of times before watching the movie. Ryan Gosling just cant fit the image of Noah described in the book"

I haven't read the book yet, but I am interested... How is Noah different in the book?

Zenei There is a rule and there is very little exception to it.

If the book came first then the book is better. However if the book was written from the screenplay then the movie is usually better.

Anum I loved the movie and I loved the book just in different ways... The first part of their lives when they are younger and the whole getting to be with each other scenario is taking place was depicted much better in the movie than in the book; however, the later part of their lives that is after they are married and all (the last chapter of the book) I have to say that the book captured so magnanimously that the movie could not have possibly topped it.

They are both amazing in their own ways... :)

Jessica By far, I loved the movie better... and 99% of the time I prefer the books...

Kenya O'Neill This is the only time I've ever liked a movie more than the book :|

message 16: by Lana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lana I did like the book better, although the movie was ok.

Kassandra Roque I loved the movie, and unlike a lot of people I read the book before I ever even thought about seeing the movie. I'm not a person that likes love story's that much but this one I liked a lot. I'm going to go with the book is better then the movie.

message 18: by Angelica (last edited Jun 21, 2011 06:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angelica I agree with the first commenter here. The book and the movie are both great in different ways.

The book makes you dream of the beautiful love story between Allie and Noah and the movie brings it all to life.

January Luzada I have to say, the book is better.

Or maybe I just had a better imagination:)

Michael Jenkins The movie was better to me.

message 21: by Ley (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ley Mesina I think that in any book-made-movie there are always pros and cons. I've seen movies that just didn't do the book justice...and then there are those movies that are much more better than the book. I agree with what Angelica said about both being great in different ways and that the film is the book coming to life.

Thanks,
Ley Mesina
Author of Reborn (A Goddess of Night Novella: Book One)

MizzSandie I loved the movie, it's one of my favourites! I didnt like the book though, it seemed very corner, terrible language in my opinion. The book was well played, well told, beautiful scenery, and they actually changed some of the things that didnt really work in the book.

message 23: by Drew (new) - rated it 5 stars

Drew The movie cause it made me cry more than the book. Oh god, I'm such a dweeb.

Marissa  Thole I was disappointed in the book. I usually always enjoy books more than the movies but this was definitely an exception. The movie gave the characters much more substance and I liked how the movie focused on when they first met. I also like how they portrayed Allie's mother in the movie more so than the book.

Mackenzie Stanley The Movie is mucb better, which is not usually the case. I wasn't that impressed with the book, but I wailed like a little baby at the end of the movie. I think it's because the book focuses more on their lust and the movie focused on their love. That's what you get when a man writes a love story. He thinks a suitable ending to the book is eluding to two old people doing it. Uh...no.

Robin I liked the book.

message 27: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Conforto I am agreeing with most everyone out there. I liked the movie much better. There was more detail in the movie. Usually the book is much better but this time the movie gave insight to alot of things. I loved the way the movie ended and I did not like the way the book ended.

Ashley Patterson movie!!!

Katrina I tend to agree with the majority here. In nearly every case I can recollect, I prefer the book over the movie. I intentionally wait to read the books (as in the case of Harry Potter) OFTEN times, just because I want to actually like both book and movie. I fully expected the written story to blow me away, since I truly was swept away by the story while watching the film. I must admit, I was left wanting. Terrific love story, mediocre writing at best. The film is a keeper; I'm glad the book was simply borrowed.

Rhamel I always like the book better than the movie and was shocked to find in this case it was the opposite. I loved the movie and felt the book was a short, bland watered down version of the movie...strange.

message 31: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth Hannigan I have to agree, I usually like the book better. But I actually like the movie better in this case. Love, love, love the movie!!! The book was good but didn't touch the movie :)

Sheri Xperfumex wrote: "which is better?"

great discussion topic Rhamel. usually I always love the book better but not in this case the movie. After watching the movie I felt cheated by the book not enough story too short. whoever wrote the screenplay did a wonderful job.

Alyssa Dobens I loved the book and thought it was so cute and well writeen. It was sad, but the sad parts were written good. I thought the movie was boring and throughout the whole thing, I couldn't wait until it was over.

Vicki Krivak This is one of the rare times that I liked the movie better. I liked the book too, but really enjoyed the movie much better.

message 35: by Lida (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lida I preferred the movie to the book ( and this does not happen often), I also felt that the book was too short, almost as if the author was scared to delve too deep into the emotion!!!!
This the movie did, I walked out of the movie crying, and ended up in bed, still crying. The movie really had me thinking about it, and feeling with the character. Where the book, kind of left me empty.

Katz Nancy from NJ I loved the movie but hated the book especially the ending. I find that I don't much care for Nicholas Spark's writing but do enjoy his movies.

message 37: by Meg (new) - rated it 3 stars

Meg I saw the movie first and loved it. I remember thinking - This would make such a good book! The book turned out to be disappointing. The writing seemed so simple and concrete, not at all the expanded story I was expecting. I've been wanting to read A Walk to Remember but have been afraid I will be just as let down.

message 38: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy I saw the movie first and for me on this one the movie was way better because you got to see their relationship develop. With a walk to remember I also saw the movie first, but I liked the movie better.

Brittany I would have to agree. It is the first time I think that I like the movie better then the book. There just was not enough detail in the book.

Carla I liked both, but in choosing I have to admit a truly deciding factor Ryan Gosling - Yum.. movie.

Wendy Movie.

Alicia There are only 2 movies that I prefer to the book and this is one of them. The other is Stardustby Neil Gaiman.

Cindy I enjoyed the movie, but I definitely liked the book better.

Shelby LOVED the movie, decided to check out the book and actually didn't finish it because it was borderline snorefest.

Valeria i honestly liked the movie better it gave more reson and more details to it. i think that just by having actual people play out the story makes it better

Amandaj Personally I liked the movie better. The movie gave the characters life. When it comes to Nicholas Sparks books I tend to get bored with the writing and sometimes skim through portions of the book--I have read a few of his books and I don't think it is necessary to read many more, if any. The movies based off his books are more interesting because the emotion translates better through film. The actors can do what his writing can't. I think the same goes for Message in a Bottle.

Cathleen It is very rare for me to ever say that a movie is better than a book but i have to say the mvoie was sooo much better.....more bittersweet and happy....they can be together forever now with no hurdles......them making love in the end of the book isnt satisfying enough for me coz shell still lose her memory...but them both dying in each others arms.....thats wat you would expect out pf a nicholas sparks book.....!!!!

message 48: by Lele (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lele i agree with a lot of the people on here when they said that the movie was a lot better. usually the books are better but the book just made me cry to much. the movie did to but not as much cause half of it was very cute and heartwarming.

Cathleen Amandaj wrote: "Personally I liked the movie better. The movie gave the characters life. When it comes to Nicholas Sparks books I tend to get bored with the writing and sometimes skim through portions of the book-..."

i actually kinda agree.
the film versions of his books are all better
a walk to remember
message in a bottle
nights in rodanthe
the last song
the notebook
dear john

and the next one is the lucky one and honestly that one was one of his best..i loved it but the movies are always better nicholas sparks is kind of a blah writer theyre all pretty much the same.
plus the last song was written specifically at miley cyrus' request.....who the hell does that.....
anyways point is...once uve read one uve pretty much read them all...

AlAmmari Mohammed Cant really tell . I like the book as much as the movie. but the movie is almost diffrent from the book.

« previous 1 3 4 5

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Notebook (other topics)
A Walk to Remember (other topics)
Stardust (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Neil Gaiman (other topics)