Robert E. Howard Readers discussion

Solomon Kane > Death's Black Riders: Group Read 17 June 2011

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (last edited Jan 02, 2012 09:49AM) (new)

Michael | 300 comments One of our two upcoming Robert E. Howard Readers Group Reads is this tale of Solomon Kane. Now... I admit to a bit of a faux pas here as I've just looked at this in my edition of The Howard Collector and find that it is a fragment of 1.5 pages length! Still, it should make for a quick read :-D

It's also included in The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane and Solomon Kane.

If anybody's read the comic/graphic novel adaptation (I have), we can discuss that as well as the REH fragment.

Solomon Kane Death's Black Riders (Dark Horse's Solomon Kane, #2) by Scott Allie Solomon Kane: Death's Black Riders

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael | 300 comments The Fragment: Interesting - it's set in a forest, rather than the African jungle, but where and when (in Kane's lifetime) is impossible to say. Tantalising and, for the selfish reason of my own reading pleasure, gives me another cause to rue Howard's tragic death.

The opening verse is good - I don't know whether this was culled from elsewhere, or was original for this story idea:

The hangman asked of the carrion crow, but the raven made reply,
"Black ride the men who ride with Death beneath the midnight sky,
"And black each steed and grey each skull and strange each deathly eye.
"They have given their breath to grey old Death and yet they cannot die."

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 448 comments I wonder about the opening verse too because it varies a bit from the description of the rider that Kane saw. He only catches a glint of gleaming eyes & fires into a face that has no description attached.

This being a fragment is effective in a lot of ways for me, mostly because it is tantalizing. It could be set most anywhere & at any time, only Kane's name pins it down at all.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Howard Collector (other topics)
Solomon Kane: Death's Black Riders (other topics)
The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane (other topics)
Solomon Kane (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robert E. Howard (other topics)