Children's Books discussion

General Discussion > Who Is Your Favourite Children's Author?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 140) (140 new)    post a comment »

Carl Ashmore | 8 comments I think about this question a lot. Who is my favourite children's author? I'm a huge Harry Potter fan, but I think for sheer imagination and consistency it's Roald Dahl...

Who's your fav?

Carl
x

LauraW (LauraLynnWalsh) | 73 comments I am a huge Harry Potter fan, too. I have all seven books in English, American, and German - both print and audio versions. I am also trying to read the first book in Spanish right now. It is slow going, as my Spanish is pretty rudimentary.

I like some of Dahl a lot - Mathilda is one of my favorites. But I am less fond of most of the rest.

I suppose if we can include YA, Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card would top my list, though.

And I really like some of the "older" authors - Lowry, Blume, Montgomery.

Carl Ashmore | 8 comments Fantastic, Laura. I have to say I have quite a few different copies of the Potters knocking around the house in various formats (audio/HB/pb etc).

'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is my favourite Dahl.I think it's a perfect book :)

Here's an interesting interview with Rowling you may not have seen.

http://issuu.com/wordswithjam/docs/ww...

Carl
x

LauraW (LauraLynnWalsh) | 73 comments Yes, I like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, too.

Thanks for the pointer to the J. K. Rowling article - it was interesting. I need to point out the toe dexterity to my older sister. She once tied a pair of gym shoes with her toes when her P.E. teacher was trying to demonstrate to the class that toes were less dextrous than fingers. lol.

Maria | 1 comments Oh!They're lot.Well here are my favourite authors:
Alki Zei
Litsa Psarafti
Roald Dahl
Markus Zusak
Lote Petrovits

Lynn (LKKSU) | 1 comments Favorite children's author? THE Doctor of course! I love Dr. Seuss. To this day I still quote The Lorax (Classic Seuss) by Dr. Seuss, and see how it influenced my thinking. Also, I loved reading Judy Blume books.

Kirei | 346 comments My favorite author when I was a kid was Beverly Cleary. Her books were the first chapter books I read and I loved her Henry/Beezus/Ramona characters. (I didn't like the Otis Spofford/Ellen Tebbits characters so much, and I did not like her teen books.)

My favorite single book, however, was "The Phantom Tollbooth" which holds a special place in my heart.

There are many authors I like though.....

message 8: by Gundula (last edited Oct 03, 2014 03:20PM) (new)

Gundula | 1756 comments I also have quite a few children's authors I like, but I think my favourite English language authors are Judy Blume, L.M. Montgomery and Jean Little.

My favourite German language authors are Michael Ende and Else Ury.

But, if I had to pick just one, L.M. Montgomery would win, hands down.

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 1519 comments Mod
Kirei's post reflects my opinion accurately except that I do like the two teen romances by Cleary I've just read.

Also I agree about Seuss, but only some of Dahl.

Off the top of my head I'd say Wendy Mass, Jerry Spinelli, and Louis Sachar have to go on the list.

Michele | 173 comments VERY hard to choose. When I was a child I loved L. M. Montgomery and Laura Ingalls Wilder. I pretended to be Laura for years. As an adult, I have a deep personal attachment to the writing of J. K. Rowling and Hilari Bell. However, there are other writers whose work I really respect, such as Gail Gibbons. Her non-fiction was some of my son's favorites as a younger kid.

Carl Ashmore | 8 comments I've never actually read 'The Phantom Tollbooth'. I keep meaning to track it down, but I don't think it's well known in England.

CS Lewis and Enid Blyton were my childhood favs.

Pauline Brasch (jinxbooks) | 1 comments Hi
I love Rick Riordan and Brandon Mull for YA and Lynley Dodd and Jane Tanner for little kids picture books :)

Pauline

Karol | 54 comments My favorite is, by far, Avi. I especially like Crispin: The Cross of Lead and Iron Thunder. My son has enjoyed both of these books quite a lot.

Christina Daley (christinadaley) I read a lot of Nancy Drew growing up, though I know those books were written by several different authors under the Carolyn Keene pen name. I also read a lot of comic strips. Calvin and Hobbes by Bil Waterson and Garfield by Jim Davis were my favorites.

Kirstan | 2 comments I grew up wanting purple eyes and a sword because of Tamora Pierce and the Alanna books. I still go back and reread her entire Tortal series every few years or so. I especially love Dian and Kitten in the second quartet. They never get old!

Kirstan | 2 comments Lynn wrote: "Favorite children's author? THE Doctor of course! I love Dr. Seuss. To this day I still quote The Lorax (Classic Seuss) by Dr. Seuss, and see how it influenced my thinking. Also, I loved reading [author:Judy B..."

Yes! I bought my daughter The Lorax as soon as I knew I was pregnant. That book was so before it's time. Suess is brilliant!

Kirei | 346 comments Carl~~There are a lot of British books that I had never heard of, but are on my mental to-read list.
Enid Blyton (I know she is an author, not a book ;-)
Tom's Midnight Garden
Stig of the Dump
and more I can't remember now....

Oh thank you for making me feel like I'm not the only one who likes Zilpha Keatley Snyder. Usually when I mention her people don't even know who she is. I *so* wanted to find my own The Velvet Room when I was a child.

I've added The Changeling to my wishlist. When I was a child we only got to read what was in our small-town library and school library, so if they didn't own a book I didn't suspect its existence. Thank you for making me aware of it so I can read it now, even four decades on! :)

Michele | 173 comments I've only read one book by Snyder, but it is one of my very favorite books ever: The Egypt Game

Miriam | 55 comments Diana Wynne Jones for chapter books, for picture books... maybe Maurice Sendak or Mercer Mayer. Probably my favorite single book was the Hobbit or The Lion, the Witch and the wardrobe. But there are so many I loved!

J.R. Barker | 33 comments Oooh decisions.

Roald Dahl with Matilda was my favourite as a child. I grew up with Harry Potter. Also C.S.Lewis.

I learnt to read with wind in the willows by kenneth Grahame.

Then it would be Robin Jarvis's series a very gruesome read but I loved it.

How do you add a link to an authors name or add a book cover widget?

J.R. Barker | 33 comments Oh yeah, sorry blindness strikes again. For some reason I find it harder to see something when its right in front of my face.

J.R. Barker | 33 comments Must be a universal blindness then. I feel much better about it now :)

J.R. Barker | 33 comments I couldn't possibly get ideas above my station as mere typer in the little white box, perhaps I could go as far as clicker of an interesting looking link though.

Jess Michaelangelo Roald Dahl is definitely a favorite of mine. I was also big on Beverly Cleary growing up.

J.R. Barker | 33 comments I loved Matilda as a film. I'm pleased that I read it first though. If I ever had a power I'd always wanted the power of flight or telekinesis.
The other Roald favourites of mine were the BFG and Fantastic Mr Fox.
I agree the 2nd Charlie book wasn't fab, I don't even remember if I finished reading it. The oval aliens put me off.

Not heard of Beverly Cleary before though.

J.R. Barker | 33 comments Looks like that's increased my to read pile by one. Book worm with telekinetic abilities? Yes please.

Ramona Quimby, Age 8 might be a good Cleary to start with. The Ramona books are the ones that have aged the best - Cleary was prolific and some of her others are less interesting to modern kids.

The Mouse and the Motorcycle is still beloved, too.

Actually, though, the Ramona books were pretty ground-breaking. When the father loses his job, they become quite poor, but not in the sappy way of 19th century literature, just realistically. And the mother goes to work, and the father goes back to school. There's even a late-in-life baby. Even the premise, that the little girl was matter-of-factly loved despite being naughty, tomboyish, and impulsive, was novel when they were originally published. Oh, and I remember Ramona watched a lot more TV than I was ever allowed to! :)

J.R. Barker | 33 comments It sounds like a more realistic form of Enid Blyton I shall definitely have to have a read.

Just to throw another book in there I would suggestMy Family and Other Animals. It's incredibly funny and a true story, if somewhat embellished in places.

Jessi | 11 comments Roald Dahl, James Marshall, Jane Yolen, Jan Brett, Ian Falconer, Dr. Seuss, Berenstein (I know I spelled that wrong)

Jessi | 11 comments Oh I also really liked Beverely Cleary, Ann M Martin, and Judy Blume growing up

Jessi | 11 comments OMG I dunno how I forgot my all time favorite L Frank Baum & Lewis Caroll

Julie Scott (JulieZBScott) | 19 comments I loved My Family and Other Animals - I think I had every Gerald Durrell book there was (and all the James Herriot books). I also liked Elizabeth Goudge (The Little White Horse) and, of course, CS Lewis.

J.R. Barker | 33 comments Julie wrote: "I loved My Family and Other Animals - I think I had every Gerald Durrell book there was (and all the James Herriot books). I also liked Elizabeth Goudge (The Little White Horse) and, of course, CS ..."

I had all the James Herriot books too. Then I went mad and got rid of them because I was moving, since then I've been scouring charity shops to get them back.

Cheryl Foggo (CherylFoggo) | 21 comments J.R. wrote: "Julie wrote: "I loved My Family and Other Animals - I think I had every Gerald Durrell book there was (and all the James Herriot books). I also liked Elizabeth Goudge (The Little White Horse) and, ..."

I was introduced to Gerald Durrell by my husband. He's under-rated!

Rosalba | 6 comments Like many, my favorite YA author is L.M. Montgomery. Children´s books author? Roald Dahl (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is my favorite)Gail Carson Levine and Ann M. Martin.

J.R. Barker | 33 comments Cheryl wrote: "J.R. wrote: "Julie wrote: "I loved My Family and Other Animals - I think I had every Gerald Durrell book there was (and all the James Herriot books). I also liked Elizabeth Goudge (The Little White..."

I love that he went on to own a wildlife sanctuary. It made it seem so much more satisfying as well.

message 40: by Cheryl (last edited Feb 05, 2012 01:18PM) (new)

I've never heard of Martin, and 'add author' doesn't quite work - off to investigate....

Ok, Ann M. Martin works. Turns out I do have several of her books on my to-read shelves. :)

Jennifer Gladen | 3 comments Hard to choose. I love Jane Yolen books for the rhyming, Eric Carle books for the pictures. Too tough to choose just one. My kids and I read all the time.

Julie Scott (JulieZBScott) | 19 comments J.R. wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "J.R. wrote: "Julie wrote: "I loved My Family and Other Animals - I think I had every Gerald Durrell book there was (and all the James Herriot books). I also liked Elizabeth Goudge (T..."

Have you read Gerald Durrell's novels? One of my favourite books as a kid was Rosie is my Relative, about a man who inherits an alcoholic elephant, but I've never met anyone else who has read it.

Steven Stickler | 12 comments When I was a kid....I loved E.B. White. Still can't shake that feeling of comfort I get from his prose. Brings back memories of Tang, tough-skins, and summer evenings sitting on the swing in the backyard with my face in a book.

Today, my favorite is Jeanne DuPrau. The City of Ember is a gem, and the entire series is worth several reads.

J.R. Barker | 33 comments @ Julie. No I've only read my family and other animals. I would love to read his other works but I have a backlog of other books I need to get through before I take on anything new :D

June (june_krell) | 96 comments I just read it last year. A friend recommended it to me. I had enjoyed a lot of his non-fiction, but had missed Rosey. It had some laugh out loud moments for me and was definitely worth finding.

Rosalba | 6 comments Abigail wrote: "Rosalba wrote: "Like many, my favorite YA author is L.M. Montgomery."

You are in good company here, Rosalba! Plenty of kindred spirits around... :)"

Yes, I know. Thanks Abigail!

Mary Louise Sanchez | 6 comments My favorite author is Tomie DePaola. Many of his stories are autobiographical, thus the reader can learn so much about who Tomie really is.

Emily | 71 comments Abigail wrote: "For all the Gerald Durrell fans out there: which book do you recommend to the reader who is just starting? I've not read any of his work, although I did see a TV film based on My Family and Other Animals. Is that a good place to start?"

You can't go wrong by starting with My Family and Other Animals.

Mary Louise Sanchez | 6 comments Some of Tomie's picture books are also autobiographical like Nana Upstairs, Nana Downstairs; The Art Lesson; The Baby Sister; Tom.

Jane (flopsybunny) | 3 comments Abigail wrote: "For all the Gerald Durrell fans out there: which book do you recommend to the reader who is just starting? I've not read any of his work, although I did see a TV film based on [book:My Family and O..."

My Family is definitely the best place to start. I first read this book when I was 9 and have loved his books ever since. I go back and read this at least once a year. Next read The Garden of the Gods and Birds, Beasts and Relatives. These books are laugh out loud funny. Enjoy.

« previous 1 3