Terminalcoffee discussion

General Fuckery > Are you a geek? (and not the circus kind)/ DMs Discuss Dungeon Derring-Do

Comments (showing 1-50 of 67) (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ~Geektastic~ (last edited Jun 09, 2011 07:48AM) (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments For funsies, my friends and I were rating ourselves/each other on a Geek scale: a rating of geekiness (or nerdiness, if you prefer) on a scale of 1 to 10 and based on pretty much whatever criteria came to mind. I'm not usually one for stereotyping, but when you make fun of yourself I don't see much harm in it. For example, I'm about a 7 because:

*I am the DM for our D&D group (or just the fact that I play D&D in general)
*I am obsessed with Doctor Who
*my reading is heavily geared toward the fantasy and sci-fi genres
*I wear glasses (as opposed to opting for contacts)
*I prefer reading to most other activities, especially outdoor activities
*I collect and read comics
*Super hero movies are almost the only genre I will see in the theater
*When I'm not reading, I'm playing video games or writing for our D&D group
*I wear being a geek like a badge of honor
*my favorite board games are generally limited to scrabble, trivial pursuit and sci-fi franchise games
*I am well versed in the ways of LARPing (although I've never done it) and Magic: The Gathering

There are other factors that lower the quotient:
*I enjoy fashion and clothes shopping, and make-up and other "girly" things
*I have not read all of Lord of the Rings (lol)
*I don't like Star Trek (with the exception of the newest film)
*I only "like" Star Wars
*I'm not great with computers
*My favorite concerts are punk shows because I love a rowdy mosh pit

Obviously, these are all arbitrary cliches, but it's still fun. Anyone know how they would rate on the geek scale? You can choose your own criteria, most people are familiar with the stereotypes.

message 2: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jun 09, 2011 08:06AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments We had a similar conversation about nerds a while back...but is there a difference between nerds and geeks?

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

I don't see going to punk shows as geeky. You are complex, Amber:)

message 3: by Barb (new)

Barb RandomAnthony wrote: "I don't see going to punk shows as geeky. You are complex, Amber:) "

I think that's the list of things that lowers her geekiness rating.
... but ya ... does it make me a geek that I know what a DM of D&D is?

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments I am geeky in comparison with most of the people I encounter in everyday life, but not in comparison to many of my good friends.
I'm probably a six.

*I love sf and fantasy but not most hard sf and not most high fantasy, and not any books based on TV shows.
*I always have a book with me
*I love comic books and movies based on comic books
*I've been to the midnight premiere of every Harry Potter movie AND the midnight release of several of the books
*I love board games, especially Settlers of Catan, Scrabble, and Ticket to Ride
*I play video games sometimes but I'm not very good at them.
*I'd rather talk about something (books, movies, TV, sports, music) than nothing (most chatter in my bar)
*I wear glasses mostly, contacts rarely
*I love the outdoors.
*I don't dress up as characters (except maybe for Halloween)
*I don't play D & D, I don't LARP, or do any other role playing games.
*I'm only passably good with computers
*I don't put a lot of effort into clothes or hair, and rarely wear makeup.

message 5: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Barb wrote: "RandomAnthony wrote: "I don't see going to punk shows as geeky. You are complex, Amber:) "

I think that's the list of things that lowers her geekiness rating.
... but ya ... does it make me a..."

Depends. Do you know what a DC check is? (This is a joke, and not a serious question, but if you do know, you just might be a geek.)

message 6: by Sarah (last edited Jun 09, 2011 08:37AM) (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments I don't. Does it have to do with comic books or electricity?

message 7: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Or the District of Columbia?

message 8: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Lol. It's a roll of the dice that determines your ability to do certain things. Like a DC check for "history" lets a player roll a D20 to determine if they know any historical information pertinent to their current situation. You get to add whatever your history modifier is to what you rolled and the DM decides if the number is high enough (higher than or equal to a predetermined number) to give out the info.

I think my geek number just went up during that entirely too detailed explanation.

message 9: by Myles (new)

Myles | 1312 comments http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

From the other thread a diagram posted by Jim, this is the best definition I've ever seen.

I am a 7 or 8

*I am starting a new D&D campaign this weekend (I'm DMing for the first time and using the Eberron setting, with my own twists of course)
*I was an avid Magic: The Gathering player for years and years, even went to some DCI tournaments
*Love comic books, especially Ultimate Marvel, and like most of the movies.
*Glasses.
*Big genre reader in fantasy and sf and horror
*Risk is my favorite board game, of all time
*Always reading something. Never go anywhere without one handy, even if its a really short trip. Just in case.
*Most of my t-shirts, that didn't come free from doing events, come from webcomics
*Love old-school NES and Computer games
*X-Files, Sliders, Quantum Leap, Stargate SG-1 & Atlantis, Earth 2, SeaQuest, Freakylinks...now I'm just listing shows I've loved and lost.
*Dislike team sports, always have.

Taking down my score:

*I don't LARP or go to conventions
*I don't play new video/computer games. In fact, I'm terrible at them.
*While I have a fondness for Kirk-era Star Trek and love the original Star Wars trilogy, I'm not exactly a fanatic.
*Saw the Lord of the Rings movies only twice each in theaters. Haven't sat through them since.
*I do enjoy going outside, as much as work and my 'obsessions' allow. Biking, hiking, swimming, etc.

message 10: by ~Geektastic~ (last edited Jun 09, 2011 08:59AM) (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Myles wrote: "http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

From the other thread a diagram posted by Jim, this is the best definition I've ever seen.

I am a 7 or ..."

It's my first time DMing too! ::secret handshake:: Anyway, I'm creating the world and the story entirely from scratch, and playing most of it by ear. We'll see how it turns out. I'm actually combining the general world of D&D with a Doctor Who adventure, so it's either going to be entirely too silly and/or overly-complicated, but I'm going to do it anyway.

message 11: by Myles (new)

Myles | 1312 comments Amber wrote: "Myles wrote: "http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

From the other thread a diagram posted by Jim, this is the best definition I've ever seen...."

Oo that does sound like fun. I'm just sticking with Eberron for awhile and a pre-scripted adventure just to get a feel for how one should be put down so I can use it as a model later.

message 12: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Myles wrote: "Amber wrote: "Myles wrote: "http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

From the other thread a diagram posted by Jim, this is the best definition I..."

This one being my first, I probably should have stuck with more scripted material, but my favorite part of the game is the story/role play elements. I'm not great at the nuts and bolts, like constructing monster encounters, creating skill challenges or handing out loot/xp. I'm getting some help from my group, but only one of them is really experienced, the rest of us have only played off and on for the last year or so.

message 13: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments According to the diagram Jim posted, I am, in fact, a geek. I'm bordering on nerd territory, but I'm not socially inept, just socially disinclined.

message 14: by Myles (new)

Myles | 1312 comments Amber wrote: "Myles wrote: "Amber wrote: "Myles wrote: "I'm not great at the nuts and bolts, like constructing monster encounters, creating skill challenges or handing out loot/xp. I'm getting some help from my group, but only one of them is really experienced, the rest of us have only played off and on for the last year or so."

Yeah, its the nuts and bolts that make DMs so hard to come by. But I figure the world-building aspect evens it out. Once the game starts rolling it'll all come together. I hope.

And I like that, socially disinclined. Not that I am particularly, but I hate small talk.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments I'm socially inclined, but I'm not big on small talk either.
Someone can tell me I'm off base here, but when I'm with my geekier friends, we talk about THINGS: books, music, politics, movies. If I meet a geeky person that I don't know, I can quickly find a commonality. They can be music geeks or book geeks or comic geeks or Doctor Who or horse geeks, but they have an obsession.

When I'm with people who don't have some sort of mild obsession, I can't find any common base on which to build a conversation.

message 16: by ~Geektastic~ (last edited Jun 09, 2011 11:04AM) (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "I'm socially inclined, but I'm not big on small talk either.
Someone can tell me I'm off base here, but when I'm with my geekier friends, we talk about THINGS: books, music, politics, movies. If I..."

Exactly! With geeks, no matter what type, you can always find something to talk about. I hate making small talk, especially when it's with people I work with. None of them are geeks, and they never have anything to talk about besides the weather and the news, and when I bring up something like a board game night or a movie I watched, it becomes twenty questions rather than an actual conversation.

I'm only socially inclined with people I really like.

message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael When I was in high school being a nerd wasn't a good thing. Someone was a nerd when they were socially awkward, read sci-fi/fantasy and played in band.

message 18: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Michael wrote: "When I was in high school being a nerd wasn't a good thing. Someone was a nerd when they were socially awkward, read sci-fi/fantasy and played in band."

It really wasn't a good thing when I was in high school either, but we geeks/brains/nerds banded together and survived :). It helps that most of us were geeks without looking like characters from Revenge of the Nerds.

message 19: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments BunWat wrote: "Excellent Jim diagram reposted:
"

Thanks Bun! I wanted to do that but I was having image-posting issues.

message 20: by Michael (new)

Michael LOL! I guess I was a dork!

message 21: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments See, my problem with the whole construct is that it turns anybody with an interest or hobby other than watching TV into a nerd/Dweeb/or whatever you want to call it. So I just won't do that!

I have played D & D and other RPGs since 1982. Good God, that's 30 years! I've definitely got my street cred as a SF/Fantasy, etc. geek, but I I've been there/done that and my sense of curiosity keeps me moving on. I know so many people who have over-identified with that world and limited their interests in other things, and they've just become boring over the years. I guess that happens with most interests, but I just hate to see people define themselves and as a result, limit themselves, and it's even worse when hey get this smug sense of superiority about it, which of course, I've seen a lot of as well.

I guess the thing I'm saying is: beware of labels! They only limit people!

Yeah, I play RPGs, and I just spent the afternoon cataloging my comic book collection, but I'm no geek! I'm a bohemian, goddammit!

message 22: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments And I do love that diagram - I'm stealing it and putting it on Facebook!

message 23: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I guess I am a book geek, a perfume geek and a nail polish geek.

message 24: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments I'm thinking of starting a D&D goodreads group. There is one devoted to 1st edition rules already, and several devoted to role playing (as in actually role playing in the threads), but there doesn't seem to be one where people can come to share their experiences, ask questions of each other and debate which edition is the best. I just don't know how many people would be interested.

message 25: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Rebecca wrote: "And I do love that diagram - I'm stealing it and putting it on Facebook!"

I'm thinking of putting it on a t-shirt.

message 26: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments Funny, I've never used the phrase "DC". I guess it stands for dice check? We just say "roll your dex" or whatever it is. Maybe that's a 21st century thing!

As for a goodreads group for it, you might as well try it, or you could start a thread here. Or is this what you've already done?

message 27: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Rebecca wrote: "Funny, I've never used the phrase "DC". I guess it stands for dice check? We just say "roll your dex" or whatever it is. Maybe that's a 21st century thing!

As for a goodreads group for it, y..."

It's just shorthand for "difficulty check."

This thread wasn't intended as a D&D thread, it just sort of went that way. It's on my mind a lot lately, with it being my first time DMing, so it sort of sprang up in relation to general geekiness.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments Rebecca wrote: "See, my problem with the whole construct is that it turns anybody with an interest or hobby other than watching TV into a nerd/Dweeb/or whatever you want to call it. So I just won't do that!

I ..."

I think it's more of an embracing/owning of the labels. I'm a music geek, an SF geek, a horse geek, a rugby geek, an SF geek, a trivia geek. And proud of it!

message 29: by ~Geektastic~ (last edited Jun 15, 2011 08:59AM) (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Sarah Pi wrote:"I think it's more of an embracing/owning of the labels. I'm a music geek, an SF geek, a horse geek, a rugby geek, an SF geek, a trivia geek. And proud of it!"

That's how I see it, too. I think that condescending sense of superiority that some people develop when they label themselves as geeks (that Rebecca mentioned) is not so much because of labeling, but because the ability to identify with a group functions as a sort of armor for the types of people that don't feel themselves embraced by the world at large. I think it's important to always be proud of who you are, whether you're a jock, a geek, a bohemian, or anything else. The label is just a tiny fraction of the complex being that you really are, and it helps you identify with like-minded people and feel included. You just can't limit yourself to that label alone.

(On a side note in reference to my earlier post, I did start a D&D/RPG group today, called Lucky D20. I haven't really started any threads yet, but if anyone is interested I would love to have people with which to discuss the complications of DMing and rules and all that great stuff.)

Update: I don't expect many people to be terrible interested in joining a D&D group, but if anyone wants to stop by from time to time, our group will be posting each episode of our current adventure on a weekly basis, and I would love for people to give me some feedback on the story, as I am writing it and only have the faintest idea what I am doing.

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments A friend of mine said once that the best part of being a geek is that geeks tend to be non-judgmental (about anything except perhaps the area of expertise). They don't laugh at people who fall outside of the standards of "normal" for whatever reason.

message 31: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Cool, funny nerd date video:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/653...

message 32: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments Jammies wrote: "I guess I am a book geek, a perfume geek and a nail polish geek."

Me too, Jammies! I’m not alone anymore :)

I wouldn’t say according to the original criteria posted that I was a geek. I just found out what RPG’s are and have absolutely no interest in: D&D, Star Trek, any kind of -con, and I am generally socially adept although I occasionally say things I shouldn’t in polite company. However, according to Jim’s diagram I would be a Geek, occasionally crossing into Dork territory.

message 33: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Geekdom is a constantly expanding universe.

message 34: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Helena wrote: "Jammies wrote: "I guess I am a book geek, a perfume geek and a nail polish geek."

Me too, Jammies! I’m not alone anymore :)

I wouldn’t say according to the original criteria posted that I was a geek. I just found out what RPG’s are and have absolutely no interest in: D&D, Star Trek, any kind of -con, and I am generally socially adept although I occasionally say things I shouldn’t in polite company. However, according to Jim’s diagram I would be a Geek, occasionally crossing into Dork territory."

And my geekdom crosses into nerddom from time to time, but I am socially adept enough not to be a dork.

And you were never alone, my Helenamelanie, I just hadn't found you yet. :)

message 35: by Karen K. (new)

Karen K. Miller (KarenKM) | 140 comments Amber wrote: "According to the diagram Jim posted, I am, in fact, a geek. I'm bordering on nerd territory, but I'm not socially inept, just socially disinclined."

That pretty much sums me up too. Small talk is definitely not my forte. I'm not much of a talker... more of a listener. I think it's partly because my mother, sister, and husband are voracious talkers. My daughters say that my son tells me everything and that it is weird. I sort of agree... though I like it that he feels he can tell me anything. He could have skipped how much he was drinking when he was in college though. Made me quite nervous for him at times.

message 36: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (Pezski) | 79 comments Amber wrote: "Geekdom is a constantly expanding universe."

It is true. And of course, the geeks will inherit the Earth (Note the correct use of a capital letter for Earth, indicating that I am, amongst other things, a grammar geek, although my sloppy typing may let me down).

Kaput wrote: "Not so hot on role playing games.
But give me time... ."

Join us...

(geek points for anyone getting the reference; a central pillar of geekdom)

I not a forty year old man who still roleplays (I have am currently running a game based of Charles Stross's Laundry novels, which is a kind of Cthulhu/espionage/computer tech crossover - geekspasm!) and eschew D&D because of its simplicity/relative popularity. SF/F is always my default reading/viewing matter. Last week I sat up with my 19 year old son until two in the morning talking about physics.

On the minus side, I find myself less knowledgable about comics than most of my friends (in my teens I decided I couldn't afford to spend money on books AND records AND comics) and am quite outdoorsy - I cycle and hike (although the latter often terminates at a Real Ale pub in the Peak District, which is its own sort of geekiness) and used to climb until a break a few years back. That said, there is a definite 'physical geek' type - see Kim Stanley Robinson as a prime example.

The sociability or small talk angle is an interesting one; with an in-group geeks can be REALLY talkative, but just seem to be interested in different things. For example, a few years ago I worked on an IT support team in a large office (another geek point, I think) and our work time (ahem) conversations tended to be about gaming (roleplaying and computer), movies, comics, SF, music and tech, while at the next bank of desks the team would stand around talking about football, reality TV, football, celebrities and football.

message 37: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Paul 'Pezter' wrote: "I have am currently running a game based of Charles Stross's Laundry novels"

*swoons*

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments

message 39: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments ^^LOVE

message 40: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments :)

message 41: by Elijah (new)

Elijah Spector (ElijahKinchSpector) | 18 comments Quite possibly my favorite geek/nerd description is in this charming little song that Craig Ferguson did about Doctor Who.

http://youtu.be/M9P4SxtphJ4

It's great because he says something about why it appeals to geeks and nerds, and you expect that he'll make some self-deprecating, kinda cute, joke about something sort of negative, and instead the next lyrics are pretty much one of the most positive ways I could ever hope to be described.

message 42: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Catherine wrote: "Elijah wrote: "Quite possibly my favorite geek/nerd description is in this charming little song that Craig Ferguson did about Doctor Who.

http://youtu.be/M9P4SxtphJ4

It's great because he says so..."

Me too, Catherine. We even have a Doctor Who thread floating around here somewhere.

message 43: by Elijah (new)

Elijah Spector (ElijahKinchSpector) | 18 comments Well don't look at me, so far I have only seen Doctors First, Second, and Third. I am making my way through the series highlights Doctor by Doctor before I even dare look at the new series.

Because I am insane.

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments I've avoided the Doctor Who thread because I'm only up to the fourth series of the reboot and I don't want to stumble on spoilers.

message 45: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (MrsNolte) | 17274 comments Mod
I've avoided the Dr Who thread because it makes no sense to me.

message 46: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "I've avoided the Doctor Who thread because I'm only up to the fourth series of the reboot and I don't want to stumble on spoilers."

Probably a good call. We've hidden most of the spoilers, I think, but it's hard to determine what constitutes a spoiler for everyone. But you're in for a treat when you get to series 5 and 6; I think they're the best so far.

message 47: by Elijah (new)

Elijah Spector (ElijahKinchSpector) | 18 comments I have been extremely crazy-type busy.

But yes, the old show is crazy fun. More folks should jump backward and take a look, and I haven't even gotten to Tom Baker yet!

message 48: by Sally, la reina (new)

Heidi!

message 49: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Catherine wrote: "Amber ~Geektastic~ wrote: "Me too, Catherine. We even have a Doctor Who thread floating around here somewhere."

At some point I would love to find it and share the love! :)"

Here you go:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

message 50: by Sally, la reina (new)

oooooo!

::admires Amber's skillz::

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kim Stanley Robinson (other topics)
Charles Stross (other topics)