The Life of a Poet discussion

Writing Styles > pantums

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 07, 2011 05:43PM) (new)

Okay, this is my favorite writing style (other than free verse) in which you follow a certain order that has lines repeat. My favorite order, which I've memorized, goes like this.
1234 2546 5768 7381

So your Poem would be

Example- She is Safe

1 holding beauty in her arms
2 the sun drifts
3 across the sky
4 nothing compares to her golden halo

2 the sun drifts
5 slowly, lazily
4 nothing compares to her golden halo
6 not the shine of the stars, nor the moon

5 slowly, lazily
7 she disappears, knowing nothing can replace her
6 not the shine of the stars, nor the moon
8 she is safe

7 she disappears, knowing nothing can replace her,
3 across the sky
8 she is safe
1 holding beauty in her arms

Karishma | 38 comments Oh I've tried this before! But idk if I did it right..can I post it here?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Of course! The more pantuns the better!!!

Karishma | 38 comments Yay! Well like I said, it may be wrong, but here it is

Starry Night

I look up at the dark night sky,
Sprinkled with bright stars,
Silver sequins in the grey.
The moon shines perfectly.

Sprinkled with bright stars,
The night sky sparkles.
The moon shines perfectly
The night is still.

The night sky sparkles.
Warm air fills the atmosphere.
The night is still.
My mother sings.

Warm air fills the atmosphere
I close my eyes and smile.
My mother sings
Twinkle twinkle little star.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Its perfect except you didn't put the last line right. For the last line of the panting, it repeats the first line so it would be "i look up at the dark night sky." I really like it!! Pantums are always so challenging. Have you ever written a poem within a poem before?

Karishma | 38 comments Aw, well I don't like that ending:( Lol I guess it'll just be a wrong pantum them. And no, I haven't. Lol how would that go?

Joe (kono88) | 53 comments If every single line has to be repeated, I've never enjoyed doing it that way, but I have done a few where the lines in each verse use the same final words, and the last line of every verse matches with the first line of the next verse, making the last line of the poem the same as the first.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, its not bad at all. You have to get extremely creative to make the whole thing fit together right, because one line in one parts of the poem is used in a completely different context latter on. You really have to think. I just thought of another writing style! Ghazals! Those are seriously tough!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh! Karishma! Say you have the line I love the way you speak to me ((really random) and that's the first line to your poem. Well, you'd take the words 'the way you speak to me' to start your poem within the poem. Each line would be like that. You highlight the parts that create the poem within and Viola!

unread topics | mark unread