Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Kobo-Style Awards

Comments (showing 1-50 of 53) (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ana (new)

Ana Mardoll (anamardoll) | 24 comments Has anyone else seen the new Kobo reading life awards?

http://www.kobobooks.com/readinglife_...

They are the cutest things. I don't have a Kobo reader and I don't shop with their store, so there's not really a way for me to earn these, but I think they're so compelling. Has GoodReads ever thought about implementing something like this with a "badge wall" or something?

We always have the reading challenges, and so forth, but I don't think there's a way to display what we've earned on our profile anywhere? It would also be neat to have stats -- books finished this year, pages read over time, and so forth somewhere localized.

I think I've seen some of this on GoodReads before, but I can't see it anywhere on my profile, which is where I would expect to find it. :)

message 2: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 2798 comments I like the idea of the awards but I can go either way.

The idea you mentioned that I loved is having a lot more of the basic information on our profile page. I would like to see more of the information that gets filtered down to us in various locations have at least a link on our profile page. It will make finding things much easier.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 14023 comments Stats is a quick link on your profile page. Just below your books/shelves link, are links "clouds, stats, more ..."

message 4: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 2798 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Stats is a quick link on your profile page. Just below your books/shelves link, are links "clouds, stats, more ...""

Those are great. :)

I was thinking more along the line of the notifications I only get to email (like when someone comments on a review or a photo). I miss a lot of those because I usually think they are thread updates.

message 5: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (BethALM) Hey Elizabeth, I never noticed that before. Fun! Thanks for pointing it out.

message 6: by Ana (new)

Ana Mardoll (anamardoll) | 24 comments @Elizabeth,

Thank you! Those are very nice, but I do like how the Kobo stats track quite a bit more. Obviously GoodReads couldn't track "reading hours" (since GoodReads doesn't watch me read, haha!) but it would be neat to see my finished books broken down by, say, month. Do I read more in the winter than in the Summer? :D

I love the idea of the rewards -- kind of takes me back to when I was a kid and reading got a gold star. A badge for reading 5+ of the same author! A badge for reading 10 "classics"! A badge for reading 5 Public Domain books! What fun that would be. :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 14023 comments I think Otis asked about these types of things before. There are some of us who would want to be able to opt out.

message 8: by Ana (new)

Ana Mardoll (anamardoll) | 24 comments @Elizabeth,

Oh, I completely understand wanting to opt out. I know this wouldn't be for everyone. :)

Surely that would be an easy thing to include, though...?

message 9: by Petra Eggs (new)

Petra Eggs (PetraX) | 5871 comments Ana wrote: "@Elizabeth,

but it would be neat to see my finished books broken down by, say, month. Do I read more in the winter than in the Summer? :D"

You can do that by adding month and season shelves, then the bar chart under 'cloud' would show you.

message 10: by Derek (new)

Derek (derek_broughton) | 589 comments Ana: I haven't seen the Kobo stuff, but it sounds exactly like what I see on StackOverflow.com (a software support site), and I have to admit that those "Badges" are completely addictive. I must go to SO now...

message 11: by Ana (new)

Ana Mardoll (anamardoll) | 24 comments @Petra

You can do that by adding month and season shelves, then the bar chart under 'cloud' would show you.

What? Do you mean shelves like the ones I have to sort my books? That seems terribly kludgy. :( GoodReads already knows when I finished my books, so why would I have to make and manage shelves to see my monthly activities? I'd prefer a more elegant, automated solution. :)

message 12: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Holden (Ame-Sama) | 1 comments I second this! It would be such a fun way to track reading. If it's not implemented, I might just have to switch to kobo altogether. Or at least hope to have some sortof update link with GR.

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2108 comments I saw similar on the audible app - you get badges for listening certain hours etc - lots of badges to earn

message 14: by Dionisia (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 328 comments I would be interested in this! Badges could be fun.

message 15: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 160 comments Same. I tried the Kobo app because of those rewards. However, I prefer to read using other apps so I got rid of the Kobo app. I'd like to have these rewards on Goodreads though. It'd be a fun addition for those who are interested.

message 16: by M0rningstar (new)

M0rningstar | 205 comments This would be very cool.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

This is a very good idea. I'd like to see a badge wall on goodreads.

message 18: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Otis Chandler | 4173 comments Mod
Great idea. This is definitely on the list!

message 19: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 84 comments Oooh, yay!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 14023 comments Otis wrote: "Great idea. This is definitely on the list!"

I hope it's at the bottom of a very long list. Why does GR seem to be in the reading competition business?

message 21: by Bird (new)

Bird (thebird) | 15 comments I would also be interested in badges. I have no interest in using them as a sort of "reading competition," but simply like seeing them accumulate as I achieve different milestones. (Like with Audible, as another person mentioned.)

message 22: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2108 comments I don't see it as a competition either - personally because with the audible one - I never know when i'm goign to get something...they randomly show up - like this weekend, apparently, I had checked my stats 50 times, which gave me one - completely random and not really tied to how much i've read or listened, but an intiguing bullet point

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 14023 comments Ok, I know some of you like them. Will I be able to delete them from my profile?

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Dee wrote: "I don't see it as a competition either - personally because with the audible one - I never know when i'm goign to get something...they randomly show up - like this weekend, apparently, I had checke..."

I think the unexpectedness is part of the fun. For me the badges are not for competition - on GR we already have the book challenge, anyway - but for pointing out personal "achievments" that may tell me things about my reading habits that maybe I wouldn't notice without them. It's a fun addition to the stats we have.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Ok, I know some of you like them. Will I be able to delete them from my profile?"

Hmm. I wouldn't want them on my profile either. A link, like the one that leads to the stats (maybe beneath the shelves, too?) would be enough.

message 26: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 2798 comments Dee wrote: "I don't see it as a competition either - personally because with the audible one - I never know when i'm goign to get something...they randomly show up - like this weekend, apparently, I had checke..."

Bludhaven wrote: "I think the unexpectedness is part of the fun. For me the badges are not for competition - on GR we already have the book challenge, anyway - but for pointing out personal "achievments" that may tell me things about my reading habits that maybe I wouldn't notice without them. It's a fun addition to the stats we have. "

Oh I totally agree. I have a Kobo and use the Kobo app. I really like the badges but I do not link them with anyone socially. They are just my personal "achievements" that I can look over when the urge hits me.

message 27: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) | 712 comments I wouldn't like them in my face. A link to a separate place sounds good.

message 28: by Petra Eggs (new)

Petra Eggs (PetraX) | 5871 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Otis wrote: "Great idea. This is definitely on the list!"

I hope it's at the bottom of a very long list.

Lol, but me too.

message 29: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 994 comments Petra X wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Otis wrote: "Great idea. This is definitely on the list!"

I hope it's at the bottom of a very long list.

Lol, but me too."

Amen. The list of awards Kobo offer just seems ... odd.

Witching Hour Screw your courage to the sticking place. Read at the Witching Hour to earn this award.

Graveyard Shift Spoiler Alert! This award is a secret award. Keep reading and you just might collect it!

Breakfast of Champions Spoiler Alert! This award is a secret award.

I would not be interested in anything like this. I hope it would be opt-in only.

message 30: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 2798 comments There are a lot of them that are more interesting than what you posted.

There are some awards designed purely to teach you about the system (i.e. how to highlight).

There are some that are for social activities.

There are some for reading a certain amount, reading during a certain time, amount read during one sitting/session.

There is one for reading classics.

The list goes on and on. So it's not just the fluff you mentioned but it is made to be fun.

I totally agree that you should be able to opt out.

I would also assume that if GR were to do this that it would make up it's own awards/badges as to not have any issues with Kobo.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 14023 comments I guess it's all about what you consider "fluff."

message 32: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 2798 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I guess it's all about what you consider "fluff.""

This is true. I'm sorry you don't really care for the idea.

message 33: by M0rningstar (last edited Oct 04, 2011 04:16PM) (new)

M0rningstar | 205 comments The awards should be focused on reading and possibly group participation (generic.) Things "that teach you about the system" like "You've learned how to add a book" are pointless and just clutter up the badges system because everybody will have them.

However, a single badge for having completed a site tutorial or read the faq or something like that would be acceptable.

Also, I hope the marketing badges ("You've read !!!") would be kept to a minimum and be in their own category when the user views badges.

message 34: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 3312 comments Morningstar I agree about one badge for the faq and about the un-appeal of marketing badges.

What seems really odd is that there's no way to verify so many of these. I mean, if someone writes a review, odds are pretty good they've actually at least looked over the book. But if the badges are public, and people start to feel competitive about them (after all, they are 'shiny butterflies'), I can see the 'badge wall' becoming pretty meaningless pretty fast.

Maybe someone who participates w/ Kobo can assuage my concern.

My other concern is drain on server and administrative energies. If this is implemented, I hope it's clean and efficient! The Alice-in-the-Chair issue is exhausting!

Ok, just one other observation. Over a year ago, when I was pretty new to GR, I remember a discussion about badges in re' Premium memberships. I coulda sworn the PTB didn't like either idea. I wanted to be able to support GR by buying a premium membership, and the only 'reward' I wanted was fewer ads. Other people suggested other enhanced features, including a profile badge. No aspect of that discussion has been implemented. ... just something to think about....

message 35: by M0rningstar (new)

M0rningstar | 205 comments Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "What seems really odd is that there's no way to verify so many of these. I mean, if someone writes a review, odds are pretty good they've actually at least looked over the book. But if the badges are public, and people start to feel competitive about them..."

If thoughtfully implemented, badges aren't really about competition between users even if they're viewable on public profiles (GR can always choose to spotlight the competitive aspect, but I suspect most users would not want that.)

Instead, badges can serve to celebrate particular user "achievements" or mark milestones in the individual's relationship with his/her reading. For example:

-Reading (or marking as 'read') 15 books from your to-read list this year
-Reading 10 classics
-Reading a book from a new genre
-Being active in a certain number of groups
-Reviewing 50 books
-Making 10 recommendations that have been liked by the requester (this condition discourages people from making random recommendations just to get the badge)
-or even "This is your GR 1-year anniversary."

Badges like "You've shelved 2000 books" or "You've joined 20 groups" are less desirable and more "purely" competitive, because shelved doesn't mean read and joining a group doesn't mean you're actively participating.

message 36: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Oct 04, 2011 05:02PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 14023 comments Ok, I've done that.(And I've done pretty much everything on your list, though the number of groups isn't stated.) Why do I need/want a badge? I mean, it's not like some "person" actually noticed this, even if I wanted some "person" to notice me. It will be a computer generated thing.

message 37: by Petra Eggs (new)

Petra Eggs (PetraX) | 5871 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "There are a lot of them that are more interesting than what you posted.

There are some awards designed purely to teach you about the system (i.e. how to highlight).

There are some that are for s..."

It really sounds like Brownie badges. A badge for knowing how to *highlight* or having a badge for having read a certain amount at one sitting (gosh)!

message 38: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 2798 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Ok, I've done that.(And I've done pretty much everything on your list, though the number of groups isn't stated.) Why do I need/want a badge? I mean, it's not like some "person" actually noticed th..."

You might not be the target audience.

message 39: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 2798 comments Petra X wrote: "MrsJoseph wrote: "There are a lot of them that are more interesting than what you posted.

There are s..."

While it's easy to scoff, the badge for highlighting is on the KT. It might have been easy for you to do the first time but it took a little work for me.

message 40: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2108 comments I like these...i mean, they are just in fun...lol!

I got the "gold" one for high noon on audible today - which basically means that I've listened to like 6 hours during the mid-day time frame (which I guess runs from like 11am to 3pm)...just a fun stat for me

M0rningstar wrote: "Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "What seems really odd is that there's no way to verify so many of these. I mean, if someone writes a review, odds are pretty good they've actually at least looked over the b..."

message 41: by Petra Eggs (new)

Petra Eggs (PetraX) | 5871 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "While it's easy to scoff, the badge for highlighting is on the KT. It might have been easy for you to do the first time but it took a little work for me. "

What is the KT?

message 42: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 2798 comments Kobo Touch

message 43: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 485 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "While it's easy to scoff, the badge for highlighting is on the KT. It might have been easy for you to do the first time but it took a little work for me."

Curious. I haven't noted it (I've a KT but I don't ever look at the badges).

message 44: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 84 comments This type of thing can raise site participation and encourage reading and trying new things.

Look at something like the XBox 360, which started offering achievement badges for beating games or for various other milestones or for performing a difficult feat within a game. The participation and user base for XBox skyrocketed. People like to have their achievements acknowledged. They like to see their accomplishments listed out. Other games and consoles had to add it too for fear of being put aside in favor of the Xbox. People spend hours trying to earn the achievements that they are missing, just to say that they've done it and to feel that sense of accomplishment, and yeah sometimes to show it off to friends.

And isn't that part of why reading challenges are so popular around here? It creates goals and you can track your progress toward that goal and feel good about completing it.

Sites like GetGlue wouldn't even exist if it weren't for the public's love of getting little silly rewards for the things that they do.

So from that viewpoint, it might encourage a lot of people to try new genres or read more classics or just read more in general, and to keep coming back to Goodreads. And I don't see how that could be a bad thing. I don't understand how this feature could bother anyone (provided that it didn't put a strain on the site or slow things down), but a lot of people would find it fun and would keep coming back for more.

message 45: by Navaneeta (new)

Navaneeta | 9 comments I am all for it.

message 46: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 2798 comments Marisa wrote: "MrsJoseph wrote: "While it's easy to scoff, the badge for highlighting is on the KT. It might have been easy for you to do the first time but it took a little work for me."

Curious. I haven't note..."

I admit I don't look over them too much. I think it's kind of fun to get the pop up while reading (or on the app, after reading). I don't do "social reading" with facebook or twitter or anything. I don't track which badges I haven't achieved or make concentrated efforts to get new badges. But when I do get them, it's fun.

I really can go either way. I think it's a good idea and in my experience it's fun. There are a ton of badges and some are really cool. I learned that I do most of my reading between 6-11pm but I get a a ton read at noon, too.

I just wanted to honestly say that - while some of them are simple fluff meant only for fun or tutorials - others are rather interesting but still fun.

As I am not a big social reader, I can understand people not wanting to participate or share. I would like to participate if the feature is added, however.

message 47: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 994 comments Shelley wrote: "There are a lot of interesting ideas on the infamous to-do list that I'd love to see happen long before this. "

Damn right. I'd sell my neighbours hamster for a first-rate search engine or the final disappearance of Alice and her chair, etc etc.

message 48: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 3312 comments Thank you Morningstar for message 37. I'm beginning to understand the appeal. Still, I do believe some of the other stuff we've been asking for should be of higher priority.

message 49: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) | 712 comments Banjomike wrote: "Shelley wrote: "There are a lot of interesting ideas on the infamous to-do list that I'd love to see happen long before this. "

Damn right. I'd sell my neighbours hamster for a first-rate search engine or the final disappearance of Alice and her chair, etc etc."

Yes! Any number of things I want before this one.

message 50: by Donna (new)

Donna (deety) | 960 comments I don't think this should be high priority either. But we've already got badges in the form of those profile tags from the top lists, so I think it would be nice of the site to add some that were more achievable for the average GR user.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread