Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Archived/Extinct Discussions > Why do you read romance novels?

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 8317 comments Mod
I'm just curious. Why do you enjoy romance novels? There is no right or wrong answer to this question.

Jessica  `~Blahyze~` They help me drift away when I get stressed out or need an escape. To me they also take the place as sort-of a hobby, something enjoyable to do with my spare time, plus steamy-hotness is fun to read :P

MrsJoseph I like to read about people's personal relationship interactions. I also agree with Jessica - they take me to a fun place to escape to and I don't have to go anywhere.

+1 on steamy hotness!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 8317 comments Mod
I read romance novels because I like stories about people falling in love and sticking together through thick and thin, no matter what happens. It's the ultimate happy ending for me. Not that life is perfect, but that love does conquer most everything.

That's why I like HEAs and not HFNs.

I am an escapist reader. I read for enjoyment for the most part. I know that life is tough and bad things happen in real life, and I am prepared to deal with that, but it's nice to read books with survivors who go through lots of struggles, but manage to come out on top because they have love in their lives.

MrsJoseph Yes! That's it, Lady D. I love to see people make it out of tough situations because they didn't give up on each other. My husband and I were talking about that the other day: the world is a hard, cold, cruel place...it works better if you have someone in your corner.

Aw, that's cool that you have that kind of bond with your husband, MrsJ.

It's funny that people think romance novels are a crutch for the single and dateless. And they are abandoned when you meet and marry. To me, romance is just another genre to be enjoyed (albeit my favorite).

Noelle | 147 comments I'm an escapist reader too and I just LOVE love. When reading a romance you get to relive those feelings of new love, the feelings you get when you realise he's the one. I love the ups and downs of it also and I love a good second chance romance, all of the highs and lows of the emotional roller coaster ride as long as there is a HEA. Love must conquer all! =)

MrsJoseph Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Aw, that's cool that you have that kind of bond with your husband, MrsJ.

It's funny that people think romance novels are a crutch for the single and dateless. And they are abandoned when you mee..."

Yeah, he's pretty awesome (but don't tell him that, he's already got a big head :-)

Me, too. I love romances. As much fantasy as I read I notice that I read the same or more romance.

And romances are not just for single people! My mom has read romance her entire life (and my aunts). All my female friends read romance books. My husband loves it when I read romance books. ;-) It makes me more cuddly.

Lauren (MsThestral) | 446 comments I find them to be very relaxing and entertaining.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with all the answers above..... I would have to add MENOPAUSE! It has made me a romance addict.... do they have pills for that?

Debbie (halfpint66) | 272 comments Ditto!
Jessica `~Blahyze~` wrote: "They help me drift away when I get stressed out or need an escape. To me they also take the place as sort-of a hobby, something enjoyable to do with my spare time, plus steamy-hotness is fun to rea..."

message 12: by Katya (last edited Jun 07, 2011 04:45PM) (new)

Katya | 270 comments Faithmarie-I hear ya! But seriously, I too find them relaxing and entertaining. And I read them for the same reason I love watching crime drama's and old movies on TV, I find romance novels take me away for a little while. I get to forget my troubles and sink into someone else's story.

message 13: by Wan (last edited Jun 09, 2011 06:22AM) (new)

Wan  (WanWaddell) | 252 comments Me too. I love to get lost in the story. This is how I keep my sanity. -- You know, books are much cheaper than shrink!

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 225 comments There is a fine line between romance and general fiction, sometimes; we just get better covers in the romance section!

I know I'm an escapist reader because I can't stand reading "based on real life" books, such as that nurse killer or about parents who, ah, lets say, are bad parents. I see enough of that stuff on TV news!

And you know what? I do think romance novels can teach us how to have better relationships! I recognize myself in some novels (unfortunately I'm never the tall, thin beauty with great hair whose makeup stays put all day and who never sweats); if a friend or counselor told me that I was like that and to change for my own good, I'd get defensive. But seeing a character act like I do and what problems it caused her and how she fixed it is a kinder, gentler way to get the point across ;)

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads), Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited Jun 08, 2011 07:19AM) (new)

I think that fiction does teach life lessons in general. But that's not the way some anti-romance fans try to make it out, like us romance readers are sitting at home devouring romance novels to the exclusion of all else, and have no life or brains, or we go through and use the romance as a checklist for our lives. Talking about insulting one's intelligence!

Zee Monodee (Zee_Monodee) | 670 comments Love the escape, and the prospect that it always ends well is a big plus for me. I've read books in other genres and the ending was sorely flat/lacking but I know with romance that'll not be the case.

Madison (Madison2626) | 4 comments Love the escape as well. Because its an escape I do love a great ending, I do know how real life is at least if I put my time into a book it should have a great ending. Some times I even look for the spoilers to see what going on and don't start a series, or if something its fishy in the book go back to the spoilers and look again I did stooped tree series in the middle because it just messed up my escape :). The think is, u want to enjoy yourself ,u know that its an escape and s time its important and u can not waist it with books that makes u fell worse then real life hahaha ;) Too dramatic? :)

I agree, Madison. I don't mind angst, as long as the ending is happy and makes up for it. But a depressing ending sucks!

Ladymcbeth | 14 comments it makes me escape from reality !

Angelfire (sepiajinx) | 14 comments The fantasy ascpect of a book is what draws me in.. A romance in a fantasy world is an added bonus...

I think for me, the idea of a couple fighting thru demons,apocalypse,family tradegies,personal insecurites etc to be together in the end is what keeps me happy.

I want to believe that "Love conquers all" despite the fact that reality isnt like that

Happy endings give me satisfaction....

Athena (athytee) | 28 comments Madison wrote: "Love the escape as well. Because its an escape I do love a great ending, I do know how real life is at least if I put my time into a book it should have a great ending. Some times I even look for t..."

Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I think that fiction does teach life lessons in general. But that's not the way some anti-romance fans try to make it out, like us romance readers are sitting at home devouring romance novels to t..."

Noelle wrote: "I'm an escapist reader too and I just LOVE love. When reading a romance you get to relive those feelings of new love, the feelings you get when you realise he's the one. I love the ups and downs of..."

I think these three responses summed it up for me. I am an escapist reader, as well. I jump into a story to remove myself from my weary reality... I long so much to be sucked into one of the novels I read that it's fun to sometimes actually pretend to be them whilst reading. I think that's why I like romance. I want to be in that bond - I want someone to want me no matter what... hopefully I will (it seems meek, I'm in my mid 20s and haven't yet, sigh).

Roshio | 26 comments Lol Athena, me too!! I want that as well! I love romance because the stories appeal to something in me that can't get enough of two people bound by love whether they wanted it to happen or not. Watching them struggle until they realise they've already fallen, hard.
Escape is also a big reason as everyone said, its where I go to when I just want a world where things work out well in the end which is why I refuse to read romance without HEAs.

Ashley (shinhbang) | 138 comments I think I read romance novels just to enjoy it, and also to include the fact that I need a little romance in my life. I mean, I'm just a full-time college student who really has no time for guys. So...I guess reading some romance will give me some balance in that area. But the main reason I read for is because it's a great way to escape. And! It does not ever hurt to meddle in the personal love lives of a fiction couple. :)

Darcie Mae | 2 comments Romance novels are "happily ever after" (usually) and the "good guy" wins :) ( Love that Sir Galahad attitude ) I am a single mother of two boys, so I can grab my book and relax.. anywhere!

R.L. Mathewson (RLMathewson) | 6 comments I know this is a little late in the game, but I wanted to add that for me, reading a romance novel is an escape. If it's a good book I feel like I've watched two good friends get through a tough time and ended up with the happy ending they deserved.

I enjoy a good plot where the romance is built up. I don't enjoy stories where they have the leading couple fall in love just to fall in love with absolutely no reason for it.

When I read a romance novel I'm looking for a good story, likeable characters and a little romance to pass the time with :)

Ditto for me, RL.

Carolyn | 175 comments I think for me that it is thrill of the story. I like to see the interaction and the intensity that builds between characters. I love to feel the passion that I think I am sorely lacking in my day to day life. Don't get me wrong. Life is good but q good book can give me a taste of something else.

Same here, Carolyn. I love a good, intense romance story.

unread topics | mark unread